Do You Trust John Schneider?

CityHawk

Reaction score
Do we need to have this thread topic, or some variation of it, every year? Waiting for the "Is Pete Carroll still the best option for this team?" thread in 3...2....1....

knownone

Reaction score
Who are some of these ‘above average GMs’ that we’re comparing JS to? SInce he became our GM only one team has more Super Bowl appearances, and we’re 2nd in probowlers drafted since 2010.

Better question, who would you rather have?

SeaWolv

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3qi6289e said:
lobohawk":3qi6289e said:
The Hawks are just finishing off their hangover from trying to make one last run with the old crew and the Malik fallout. Lost too much draft capital in that time.

Draft capital?

I think this comment is more specifically aimed at the drafting of McDowell. That one really set us back at a time we really couldn't afford it. I don't blame John or Pete on that decision since it had a lot of upside potential but in the end it just didn't work out and that sucked.

chris98251

Reaction score
We really need to Fire John and Pete and bring in Baalke and Mora.

Here I am :sarcasm_on: :sarcasm_off:

mrt144

Reaction score
knownone":1djjsjfe said:
Who are some of these ‘above average GMs’ that we’re comparing JS to? SInce he became our GM only one team has more Super Bowl appearances, and we’re 2nd in probowlers drafted since 2010.

Better question, who would you rather have?

Is above average a relative comparison to peers or a how much they meet some kind of objective measurement like a tough grading system?

If the former, he's easily more than above average. If it's grading without a curve, then he is notably above average.

sdog1981

Reaction score
If the last two draft classes, including UDFA's had been bad then yes he should be fired but that is not the case.

2015 draft: First two picks were home runs Frank Clark, Tyler Lockett. Mark Glowinski is an NFL starting caliber guard in spite of Cable's anti-coaching. Thomas Rawls was a UDFA starter for the team.

2016 draft: Produced 4 starters on the team. Reed, Ififdi, Vannett, and Q Jefferson. Joey Hunt a key reserve also came from that class. George Fant, Tre Madden, Tanner McEvoy were the UDFA's

2017 draft. Quill Griffin, Tedrick Thompson, D Hill, Naz Jones, David Moore, Chris Carson, and Pocic. All played key roles on the team last season. Jordan Roos was the UDFA that stuck.

2018 draft: Penny, Dissily, Flowers, Dickson and Jacob Martin. Made impact in their first season. Poona Ford was the UDFA.

That is some damn good drafting and UDFA talent evaluation. I'm not going to lie things were looking a little bleak around summer 2016 however this team has loaded up with some very promising young talents and have some very interesting cap flexibility over the next few years. Schneider and Pete have this working relationship that almost every team is desperately attempting to find between the head coach and GM.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
The question should be: do you trust Pete? Carroll is the one pulling the strings in the NFL draft. Schneider cannot make a move unless Carroll agrees with it, which is different from the arrangement most GM's and coaches have. In fact Carroll himself hired Schneider.

My issue with this duo is the fact that they seem to regularly be taken to task on trades. Their trades have not been very smart for the most part. We've routinely thrown away draft capital to the wind.

I think during the draft Carroll and Schneider get too cute, and often time put too much emphasis on SPARQ scores. So much so that they are able to overlook some glaring flaws on prospects. They have made some brilliant moves, but also have really played themselves more often than you would like.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":14iq12li said:
The question should be: do you trust Pete? Carroll is the one pulling the strings in the NFL draft. Schneider cannot make a move unless Carroll agrees with it, which is different from the arrangement most GM's and coaches have. In fact Carroll himself hired Schneider.

My issue with this duo is the fact that they seem to regularly be taken to task on trades. Their trades have not been very smart for the most part. We've routinely thrown away draft capital to the wind.

I think during the draft Carroll and Schneider get too cute, and often time put too much emphasis on SPARQ scores. So much so that they are able to overlook some glaring flaws on prospects. They have made some brilliant moves, but also have really played themselves more often than you would like.

I have to agree with this. They used to do the savvy Patriots style trade to find guys like Lynch,Clemmons, Clinton McDonald and Justin Coleman. Guys that have very little value to the team they are getting them from but excellent with the Seahawks and their system.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I don't know what you can expect from him.

There are 30+ teams trying to win too.

I was as much of a discontent as any when our team was loaded with HoF players and we were making head scratching deals that rarely worked out. But can I trust him to make average moves to make the team slightly better?

I think so. His recent track record is that of some decent improvement for reasonable spend.

Can you trust him to make moves that send us to the SB in a few years? Do you even have a right to expect this?

No he isn't making those moves, because everyone else is trying to make moves to get the same kinds of players too. The diamonds in the rough thing only works when nobody else is looking for them in the same places you are.

He never was that good at FA/trades but for that short period with Lynch, Avril, Bennett where he kept getting good to great players for comparatively cheap. He offset that by bringing in Harvin and losing Tate.

Since then he has had some slip ups (Cary Williams?!? ) but the past few years has at least been somewhat decent.

What are we saying we don't trust? He will be at least slightly above average in aggregate. What else can you expect?

BeanieHawk

Reaction score
In John, I trust lol! One of the best GM's out there...hands down!

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
All Pete and JS have done since they've been here is 2 Super Bowls, 7 playoff seasons, 4 Division titles, 89 regular-season wins, and a Lombardi trophy.

They may not be quite as successful as Belichick, but I'd say between 28 and 30 other NFL teams would love to have them.

I think they have earned our trust.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Not so fast. As SDog posted, If you asked this question a couple of years ago, many would say no. Those draft choices had 1-2 good selections but the rest were mediocre at best.

Last year, we saw Schneider make smart economical signings (DJ and J.R.) good mid year signing (Kendricks) and starters (Ed Dickson and Mingo) in free agency.

Letting ET walk and signing Iupati, DJ, KJ to cap friendly, don’t break the bank, contracts are a great sign for a repeat from last year.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I don't believe John Schneider is making decisions freely. I believe Pete Carroll has huge impact in the decisions. Pete's not only the head coach but also Executive VP of Football Operations.

"While the Seahawks have a general manager in John Schneider, he serves mainly in an advisory role to Carroll, who has the final say in football matters. In fact, Schneider was actually hired by Carroll—a rare case of the head coach hiring the general manager." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Carroll

SeaWolv

Reaction score
hawkfan68":8mp5yw7q said:
I don't believe John Schneider is making decisions freely. I believe Pete Carroll has huge impact in the decisions. Pete's not only the head coach but also Executive VP of Football Operations.

"While the Seahawks have a general manager in John Schneider, he serves mainly in an advisory role to Carroll, who has the final say in football matters. In fact, Schneider was actually hired by Carroll—a rare case of the head coach hiring the general manager." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Carroll

I kinda wish they had co-authority instead of Pete having ultimate authority. As with Holmgren and many others, coaches seldom have the skill set to be a good GM. I get Pete wants to be a bigger part of the personnel process but to have ultimate authority with both coaching and GM is a bit much I think.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
All these 30,000 foot level threads it all comes down to over the past 20 years only 1 fan base is a little bit happy with how things have gone. And even they are pissed they haven't won it every year.

Tical21

Reaction score
Not really. He's made a ton of decisions that alone would've gotten a GM without Super Bowl equity fired.

McDowell
Paying Kam
Jimmy
Percy
Sheldon - ouch!!
Joeckel
Lacy
Our O-line play for 3 years
Not extending Clark last offseason

sdog1981

Reaction score
Tical21":gbekir6j said:
Not really. He's made a ton of decisions that alone would've gotten a GM without Super Bowl equity fired.

McDowell
Paying Kam
Jimmy
Percy
Sheldon - ouch!!
Joeckel
Lacy
Our O-line play for 3 years
Not extending Clark last offseason

Let's break this one down one by one.

Kam and McDowell were fluke injuries. You can't judge a GM on a career-ending injury.

Percy and Lacy. I can't really defend those moves.

Jimmy Graham was an effective weapon. You can't blame a GM for playcalling.

Joeckel and Oline. That is on Pete for not firing Tom Cable.

Extending Clark? Hell, I don't know if they should extend him today. They had no clue what Frank Clark would play like with no pass rush help. Also, there is no way to know if Clark would even have accepted an extension after 2017 knowing he would be the only proven pass rusher on the team.