Does anyone watch UFC anymore

BIGNORMANHAND

Reaction score
'Just thought I'd give this thread a bump and see if anyone's been watching. I still do watch MMA/UFC, and some boxing as well. Right now I'm really looking forward to Conor McGregor's next fight, and hoping Mayweather and Pacquiao can finally DO THIS THANG. Other favorites: Chiesa, Louzon, Jim Miller.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
quit watching after it was evident they were just recycling the same guys over and over again..I mean how many times do we have to watch Chris Leben take a beating?? And yes the grappling got boring like UFC 1 style...For how great he was and how much hype surrounded his fights GSP was the most boring around. Yes his style won fights but man they were yawners...Got sick of Dana White's act too...UFC will go the way of boxing which will likely make a return.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Not a huge UFC fan, but those Robbie Lawler/Rory MacDonald and Chad Mendes/Conor McGregor fights on Saturday night were two of the best I have ever seen.

Lawler/MacDonald was fought at a kinetic pace, with momentum switching rapidly back and forth between the two fighters. After getting blasted with several hard shots, MacDonald took control in the 3rd Round, stunning Lawler with several hard kicks to the head. It looked like MacDonald might finish him, but after slowing his pace and letting him back into the fight, Lawler proceeded to destroy MacDonald's nose in brutal fashion. I thought it was going to snap off until MacDonald folded into a heap.

For the most part, Mendes, the wrestler, controlled the fight on the ground against McGregor, hitting him with several elbows and opening up a deep cut above McGregor's left eye. Toward the end of the 2nd round, Mendes appeared to be adjusting his top position to try for a choke, but that allowed McGregor back to his feet. Big mistake. In short order, McGregor hit Mendes with a right and a left, sent him to the canvass, and then tagged him until the fight was stopped with just three seconds remaining in the 2nd Round.

These two fights are why I still watch UFC from time to time. It can be very exciting the way momentum can shift in a split second.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Yea I heard there were some amazing fights last night.

Saw the one pic where Lawler/MacDonald in were in the hospital together. Huge respect after that I would imagine.

7e0064a0-285e-11e5-be01-3dcfbcf60fde_rory-robbie.jpg

hawknation2015

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":1oe4iwfu said:
Yea I heard there were some amazing fights last night.

Saw the one pic where Lawler/MacDonald in were in the hospital together. Huge respect after that I would imagine.

7e0064a0-285e-11e5-be01-3dcfbcf60fde_rory-robbie.jpg

They showed an interview with Lawler today. His face looks pretty nasty, right half is purple. MacDonald looks even worse with whatever is left of that nose.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
I got to watch UFC 189 last night. Wow what a show, every fight was really entertaining, lots of action, fighters going 100%. I was impressed with the whole event, they even had live singers introducing McGregor and Mendes. Is that new? Nice touch.

I remember the days of the refs having to admonish the fighters constantly for stalling and not pushing the action. Just hugging against the fence, or the whole lay and pray strategy. Maybe those days are past?

After 189 maybe Ill start following a bit again.

PS That McGregor was such a cocky bastard..... haha loved it. (Reminds me of an Irish Sherman) :)

Greenhell

Reaction score
Tical21":3snt8rdm said:
The novelty has worn off and now you're just left with a subpar product. MMA was really cool when you would see people with totally different styles face-off to see which style was more effective. A brawler would face a jujutso fighter or a kickboxer would face a wrestler. That was intriguing, that was cool. Now, you've got a bunch of hybrid fighters that all fight the same way and are afraid to take too many chances, and you get a really boring product of mediocre dirty-boxers stuck in a half guard for 7 minutes. No personalities, no freaks, no streaks. I'm admittedly biased towards the sweet science, but it just seems for every MMA highlight reel fight, you've got to sit through at least a half-dozen yawners where nothing happens.

This is the truth.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Greenhell":1i4z9rz8 said:
Tical21":1i4z9rz8 said:
The novelty has worn off and now you're just left with a subpar product. MMA was really cool when you would see people with totally different styles face-off to see which style was more effective. A brawler would face a jujutso fighter or a kickboxer would face a wrestler. That was intriguing, that was cool. Now, you've got a bunch of hybrid fighters that all fight the same way and are afraid to take too many chances, and you get a really boring product of mediocre dirty-boxers stuck in a half guard for 7 minutes. No personalities, no freaks, no streaks. I'm admittedly biased towards the sweet science, but it just seems for every MMA highlight reel fight, you've got to sit through at least a half-dozen yawners where nothing happens.

This is the truth.

Wasn't true for 189. :Dunno:

hawk45

Reaction score
Yeah 189 was a sick card top to bottom.

There was a previous card, I believe the one where Silva broke his shin, that I also smiled all the way through. I think Lawler may have been on that card.

I like all the events, even the fight nights usually have a couple good ones. I used to be a big boxing fan and now it just bores me to tears because knockouts take forever to accumulate whereas in the UFC it can happen in an instant.

I feel like lately it's gone back in favor of more striking and less wrestling/grappling. Georges St.-Pierre nearly killed it for me, tremendous athlete, but he could win every fight with his superior wrestling and never had to take a chance. That really sucks when it's one of your biggest headliners doing that crap.