Does Shaun Alexander deserve to be in the HOF?

W

Welshers

You say, "let's end all the threads about SA", and then make another thread about SA!

Just joshin' you but yeah, three threads on the front page about Alexander seems a bet excessive. He was a great back, a MVPer who helped us win a conference championship and who may very well end up in the Hall of Fame. The stabbed in the back comment was messed up. I never saw him as soft myself and I cannot recall the play you are speaking of.

Fox0r

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":1f4bpboi said:
Can someone out there find a youtube clip of the play/game where SA slides down (giving himself up) in the left flat ( I believe if memory serves, it was towards the North endzone/Hawks nest)? It was either a run play or a dump off and he had nothing but green around him and he performed the most cowardly, embarrassing baseball hook slide to end the play. It was and still is to this day, the single most cowardly play by an NFL ball carrier in the history of the league. Combine that with his houdini act once he got his big contract, he shouldn't even be mentioned in the best running backs to play a game in the city of Seattle conversation.

I feel the same way. I remember the play also. It was a sweep or something to the left. He literally just sat down in the face of the defender. After he got paid, SA disappeared. It was gross. I lost all respect for him. A lot of people called him out, too. There was a big controversy if anyone really remembers.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
jon70":3hwjw169 said:
pittpnthrs":3hwjw169 said:
keasley45":3hwjw169 said:
IndyHawk":3hwjw169 said:
SA had an MVP,27 tds,1880 rushing and got hosed in SB-Thats a HOF season too.
Here look at his stats closely and tell me he shouldn't be in.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... exSh00.htm

He shouldn't be in. Its not all about the stats. he wasn't individually HOF great. He has HOF stats because he had a great O-Line opening gashes in defenses for him to chew up yards.

Emmitt Smith should have never made it either right?
Franco Harris is in the HOF for what?? catdhing one pass that one teams fans believe should have been incomplete

Harris is in the HoF for being the best RB on a Steeler dynasty. It wasnt Rocky Bleier, it was Franco Harris. That shouldnt be hard to understand.

OP
OP
PNW

PNW

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":640bs0s6 said:
Can someone out there find a youtube clip of the play/game where SA slides down (giving himself up) in the left flat ( I believe if memory serves, it was towards the North endzone/Hawks nest)? It was either a run play or a dump off and he had nothing but green around him and he performed the most cowardly, embarrassing baseball hook slide to end the play. It was and still is to this day, the single most cowardly play by an NFL ball carrier in the history of the league. Combine that with his houdini act once he got his big contract, he shouldn't even be mentioned in the best running backs to play a game in the city of Seattle conversation.
Yes please do show video clips, I’ll patiently wait....

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I loved Shaun Alexander.

However.. He's 36th in career rushing yards. He's tied for 8th in rushing TDs. He's not in the top 20 receiving for a back. He has comparable stats to Matt Forte (if we are keeping this to eras)

I'd say, optics argument aside, he is just on the outside looking in. If he had one more year, putting up 1500 and 10 TDs, he'd be a near lock.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1joo68ey said:
I loved Shaun Alexander.

However.. He's 36th in career rushing yards. He's tied for 8th in rushing TDs. He's not in the top 20 receiving for a back. He has comparable stats to Matt Forte (if we are keeping this to eras)

I'd say, optics argument aside, he is just on the outside looking in. If he had one more year, putting up 1500 and 10 TDs, he'd be a near lock.

Gale Sayers has less than 5000 yards rushing and just 39 rushing TD's but he's in.

Stats aside, Alexander brought national attention to Seattle that players like Warner and Largent couldnt even do. Yeah, he might not get into the HoF, but he was one of the greatest Seahawks off all time. The lack of respect from Seahawk fans is mindboggling.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2f3v49vm said:
Uncle Si":2f3v49vm said:
I loved Shaun Alexander.

Gale Sayers has less than 5000 yards rushing and just 39 rushing TD's but he's in.

Stats aside, Alexander brought national attention to Seattle that players like Warner and Largent couldnt even do. Yeah, he might not get into the HoF, but he was one of the greatest Seahawks off all time. The lack of respect from Seahawk fans is mindboggling.

Im not disrespecting him. Im putting his career in context with other players of his era.

Gale Sayers also played just 68 games, and had 1300 receiving yards to go with his rushing stats. Not a comparison, in my opinion. Although, you could double Sayer's stats and compare them to Alexander.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
jon70":11wy3oy1 said:
pittpnthrs":11wy3oy1 said:
keasley45":11wy3oy1 said:
IndyHawk":11wy3oy1 said:
SA had an MVP,27 tds,1880 rushing and got hosed in SB-Thats a HOF season too.
Here look at his stats closely and tell me he shouldn't be in.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... exSh00.htm

He shouldn't be in. Its not all about the stats. he wasn't individually HOF great. He has HOF stats because he had a great O-Line opening gashes in defenses for him to chew up yards.

Emmitt Smith should have never made it either right?
Franco Harris is in the HOF for what?? catdhing one pass that one teams fans believe should have been incomplete

Just WOW!!!!

Somebody actually thinks a fluke play from his rookie year is Franco Harris' career highlight & only claim to fame?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
In the modern football era where offense has exploded, you need to be higher up the all time rushing list than 36th.

Alexander was a great RB, but not for a long enough period of time to climb up the list into the 20's, which IMO is where he would have needed to be to get serious consideration for the HOF.

People also need to stop comparing stats from RB's who played in the 60's, 70's and even 80's when defense ruled and careers were very short.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Derrick Fenner would have done close to the same thing behind that line.

Chris Warren would have been Better than Alexander.

Shaun Alexander was just a faster Leon Washington behind a great line. There is a joke that the HOF has turned into the Hall of Very Good. But if Shaun makes it we have to call it something else. He just had amazing teammates. By himself not exceptional at all. Better than average but nowhere near great or even outstanding.

As already pointed out, Walt didn't think Shaun was one of the greats. And even with that amazing line Shaun barely got 100 yards in the SB. He didn't exactly carry his team. Did he even get a TD?

Own The West

Reaction score
FYI - In this video he's only touched 7 times on 28 TDs before the goal line. I had forgot how fast he was for a big man, but I also forgot how dominant that line was. Emmitt Smith or LT would have had 50 TDs behind that line.

[youtube]BXttr6qph80[/youtube]

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":fb5nt2ah said:
https://www.seattlepi.com/sports/football/article/Hawks-Alexander-I-got-stabbed-in-the-back-1163237.php

SELFISH, BITC$
I had forgotten all about this. What a self-centered twat.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
He lost the rushing title by a single yard....he was well within his rights to be upset. I have to guess he lost some kind of bonus money not to mention a rushing title would most certainly boost his thin chance at the HOF. And for clarification he did publicly retract his comments and express support for his coaches.

Roland is there anyone or any opinion you don’t think your totally above.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":2qg09tc4 said:
Roland is there anyone or any opinion you don’t think your totally above.
I'm not above any opinion. Expressing my own, and disagreeing with some peoples' opinions, doesn't mean I think I'm above them. I definitely express disagreement with the opinions of others more than most people do, which is probably why you are judging me right now. I'd ask you a counterpoint question; by what right do you judge me? :)

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Well maybe I read more into your posts than needed or maybe you reply in a very condescending way.Your posts in this thread have questioned people’s “logic” or lack of and that “fans” can’t acknowledge your point of view or use “poor” judgement in looking at relative stats. All this while never offering anything except hyperbole or conjecture, you speculating about how many yards the water boy would have behind the legendary 05 offensive line lends nothing to the actual weighing of merit for SA’s HOF chances.

But no judgment, I know I didn’t use the question mark but it was framed as a question. You do you...

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Oh, I absolutely reply in a condescending way more than the average person. No question there. Offering only hyperbole or conjecture isn't an accurate assessment, though...sounds more like you seeing what you want to see. :)

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Fox0r":13bgipry said:
OrangeGravy":13bgipry said:

I feel the same way. I remember the play also. It was a sweep or something to the left. He literally just sat down in the face of the defender. After he got paid, SA disappeared. It was gross. I lost all respect for him. A lot of people called him out, too. There was a big controversy if anyone really remembers.

My friends and I were speechless at the time when that play happened. I've tried to find it somewhere out in the ether, but I can't recall who it was against or the specific year. I'm glad someone else remembers it. It was bizarre to say the least. There was also a game towards the end of a season in maybe? his last year where he was acting really strange. He was severely concussed or something and was doing weird sh!t on the sidelines.

I don't hate the man personally (seems like a genuinely nice dude), but I can't stand the type of player he was.

chris98251

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":23phvndu said:
Well maybe I read more into your posts than needed or maybe you reply in a very condescending way.Your posts in this thread have questioned people’s “logic” or lack of and that “fans” can’t acknowledge your point of view or use “poor” judgement in looking at relative stats. All this while never offering anything except hyperbole or conjecture, you speculating about how many yards the water boy would have behind the legendary 05 offensive line lends nothing to the actual weighing of merit for SA’s HOF chances.

But no judgment, I know I didn’t use the question mark but it was framed as a question. You do you...

Sure it does, how many Water Boys get in the Hall at RB ????

It's not like we had Bobby Boucher on offense at RB.

OP
OP
PNW

PNW

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":13dvzkaa said:
Oh, I absolutely reply in a condescending way more than the average person. No question there. Offering only hyperbole or conjecture isn't an accurate assessment, though...sounds more like you seeing what you want to see. :)
Hahaha No we all see the same thing, I called you out on an absolute lie, you said I made a statement that was 100% not true and you just ignored it and moved on to being condescending to the next poster, I already knew after one post you were never to be taken seriously. Sure everyone can have an opinion, but in this thread to see you act like a jealous ex-girlfriend of Shaun Alexander’s is quiet hilarious and amusing to see. If you act like an A$$ you’re gonna be treated like that right back, I’m sure you know that and are used to it by now though. I can’t even imagine how many of your 20,000 posts were a waste of everyone’s day to read.