Does Shaun Alexander deserve to be in the HOF?

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
keasley45":2qbejxdl said:
John63":2qbejxdl said:
keasley45":2qbejxdl said:
pittpnthrs":2qbejxdl said:
You're contradicting yourself with this statement. You're saying being soft at the point of contact is NOT a defining characteristic of a HOF back and then proceed to list 3 backs that were. You act like Alexander never juked a defender and just laid down when one appeared and thats nowhere near the truth. Its unreal the disrespect the guy receives around here. It reminds me of a guy on another forum that was saying how Carson was better than Lynch because he is always looking for contact. Its as if he forgot about Lynch totally somehow and thats how It seems with Alexander in this thread. When reading some replies in this thread, one would think that Alexander was nothing more than an average back. Its unreal how quickly some forget.

You're actually claiming the guys i mentioned above were soft??

Ok. No need to continue this further.

Shaun wont get in.

When he didnt have the continuity of the O-line and 2 HOF's, Toebeck, and a cast of underrated , and unheralded others opening holes for him, his YPC dropped from 5.1 in 2005 to 3.6 and 3.5 in 2006 and 2007. Yes, he had a few injuries but none that could account alone for the drastic decline in production. He sat out for the foot while it healed. Then he went on to Washington after being a free agent for 6 months. 6 months. Why? because every other team in the league knew then what some here know now. That he was a product of his O-line. And who signed him, but Jim Zorn. nd what happened there? behind another average o-line, he was ousted by Clinton Portis and Ladell Betts.

and what did JIM ZORN have to say about Alexander's 'want to' and effort? This is a quote directly from him when asked whether Shaun was unfairly cast:

Told of this theory, Zorn partly agreed but said: “Repeating that ’05 season would have been hard. And he just seemed to either not have the knack, or he seemed to take a view of, ‘Hey, listen, when the hole’s there, I’m going to run through, but if the hole’s not there, you might as well go and call the next play.’

“Shaun didn’t have a great work ethic in Seattle,” Zorn added. “He didn’t. He said he felt practice was for everybody else.”

How many other RB's in the HOF have such a damning thing said about them?? Sheeshh. Take off the glasses.

But I guess Jim Zorn hates him too like the other 31 teams in 2008 who didnt want to touch him and rest of us that see past the stats and can rightfully attriibute his success in good part to those who paved the way for him.

Well actually several players that players with LT felt he did not run hard inside the 20s, and he ran out of bounds to much, So sorry if you look there are some who say bad things about every player. Also, there are others who spoke very highly of Lt and Alexander.

I mean of course you bring in a quote that backs you stance on him which again is personal and not based on stats.

"In a March Sports Illustrated article, Shaun Alexander’s former teammate, quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, said he believes Alexander is Hall-of-Fame material. “I sure do,” Hasselbeck said. “I’m not an expert on the numbers and I was never that big into stats. When we were teammates, he was one of the best running backs in the game, a household name, on the cover of Madden, breaking franchise and NFL records seemingly all the time.

“I do not know of a better red-zone runner,” Hasselbeck said. “There have been some great runners in NFL history that were Hall of Fame runners but weren’t great goal line running backs. I think Barry Sanders might be the greatest running back of all time. But on the goal line or inside the three-yard line was not his strength.”

Nate Burleson, another one of Alexander’s former teammates, believes Alexander is very underappreciated. “He’s a quiet individual who went out there and didn’t talk about how great he was,” Burleson said. “He’d rather do it on the field. And also I believe because it was a small window of time where he was the best running back in football.” "

amazing how there are other opinions as well and this form guys who actually player with him not an ex player

Not amazing at all. Just different coming from a coach responsible for assessing the ability of a player to contribute to a team and whether that player should even be on the team. Different still when the talent evaluators on 31 other teams also looked at Shaun Alexander and came to the same conclusion and decided not to offer him a contract.

So....because 31 teams and a below average coach didn’t want him on a team when he was clearly at the end of his career that makes him soft and not worthy of HOF consideration. And I don’t think I’ve read anywhere in this thread that anyone thought he was loved by all his teammates or didn’t benefit from some great blocking. Let’s consider this “all he had to do was make a LB or safety miss”....lol sure that’s a simple thing to do in an era where head shots were encouraged and applauded.

John63

Reaction score
keasley45":22cpae1f said:
John63":22cpae1f said:
keasley45":22cpae1f said:
pittpnthrs":22cpae1f said:
You're contradicting yourself with this statement. You're saying being soft at the point of contact is NOT a defining characteristic of a HOF back and then proceed to list 3 backs that were. You act like Alexander never juked a defender and just laid down when one appeared and thats nowhere near the truth. Its unreal the disrespect the guy receives around here. It reminds me of a guy on another forum that was saying how Carson was better than Lynch because he is always looking for contact. Its as if he forgot about Lynch totally somehow and thats how It seems with Alexander in this thread. When reading some replies in this thread, one would think that Alexander was nothing more than an average back. Its unreal how quickly some forget.

Shaun wont get in.

When he didnt have the continuity of the O-line and 2 HOF's, Toebeck, and a cast of underrated , and unheralded others opening holes for him, his YPC dropped from 5.1 in 2005 to 3.6 and 3.5 in 2006 and 2007. Yes, he had a few injuries but none that could account alone for the drastic decline in production. He sat out for the foot while it healed. Then he went on to Washington after being a free agent for 6 months. 6 months. Why? because every other team in the league knew then what some here know now. That he was a product of his O-line. And who signed him, but Jim Zorn. nd what happened there? behind another average o-line, he was ousted by Clinton Portis and Ladell Betts.

and what did JIM ZORN have to say about Alexander's 'want to' and effort? This is a quote directly from him when asked whether Shaun was unfairly cast:

Told of this theory, Zorn partly agreed but said: “Repeating that ’05 season would have been hard. And he just seemed to either not have the knack, or he seemed to take a view of, ‘Hey, listen, when the hole’s there, I’m going to run through, but if the hole’s not there, you might as well go and call the next play.’

“Shaun didn’t have a great work ethic in Seattle,” Zorn added. “He didn’t. He said he felt practice was for everybody else.”

How many other RB's in the HOF have such a damning thing said about them?? Sheeshh. Take off the glasses.

But I guess Jim Zorn hates him too like the other 31 teams in 2008 who didnt want to touch him and rest of us that see past the stats and can rightfully attriibute his success in good part to those who paved the way for him.

Well actually several players that players with LT felt he did not run hard inside the 20s, and he ran out of bounds to much, So sorry if you look there are some who say bad things about every player. Also, there are others who spoke very highly of Lt and Alexander.

I mean of course you bring in a quote that backs you stance on him which again is personal and not based on stats.

"In a March Sports Illustrated article, Shaun Alexander’s former teammate, quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, said he believes Alexander is Hall-of-Fame material. “I sure do,” Hasselbeck said. “I’m not an expert on the numbers and I was never that big into stats. When we were teammates, he was one of the best running backs in the game, a household name, on the cover of Madden, breaking franchise and NFL records seemingly all the time.

“I do not know of a better red-zone runner,” Hasselbeck said. “There have been some great runners in NFL history that were Hall of Fame runners but weren’t great goal line running backs. I think Barry Sanders might be the greatest running back of all time. But on the goal line or inside the three-yard line was not his strength.”

Nate Burleson, another one of Alexander’s former teammates, believes Alexander is very underappreciated. “He’s a quiet individual who went out there and didn’t talk about how great he was,” Burleson said. “He’d rather do it on the field. And also I believe because it was a small window of time where he was the best running back in football.” "

amazing how there are other opinions as well and this form guys who actually player with him not an ex player

Not amazing at all. Just different coming from a coach responsible for assessing the ability of a player to contribute to a team and whether that player should even be on the team. Different still when the talent evaluators on 31 other teams also looked at Shaun Alexander and came to the same conclusion and decided not to offer him a contract.

hmm you mean after an injury plagues year really thats the best you got no one offered him a contract after an injury plagues year wow. that pathetic.

John63

Reaction score
keasley45":349q9tcn said:
Walter Jones: "I think anyone could have done what Shaun Alexander did behind our OL. All he had to do was make a linebacker or safety miss. I would have loved to block for Lynch"

Not that the opinion of the guy who blocked for him his whole career matters more than Nate Burlesons...

But he probably just hates him too and is a crap evaluator of NFL caliber RBs.

need a link but le tme hgelp more sinc eyou need it

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/1/2...oral-history-mvp-2005-season-seattle-seahawks

"Mack Strong, fullback: He was a phenomenal player, phenomenal running back, phenomenal teammate, a great guy on and off the field. I think that was the thing other people were drawn to him by."

Hmm

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
A little context for comparison, Derrick Henry just scored his 12th td in 11 games. Dude is amazing and getting deserved praise. SA in 2005 scored 19 td’s in the first...10 games. I read all the time how the best ability is availability and SA was a work horse. First RB ever to record 5 consecutive 15+ td seasons. Dude should be deservingly praised in Seattle.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Bobblehead":35ipj9rm said:
Gotta give a shout out to Joe Jurevious, that guy, I believe was the single most player responsible for Alexanders break out runs. Joe was a phenomenal down field blocker who would wipe out secondary defenders, thus allowing Alexanders big runs down field.

This would make total sense if Alexander had one good season instead of 5.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
keasley45":2519c04m said:
John63":2519c04m said:
keasley45":2519c04m said:
pittpnthrs":2519c04m said:

Shaun wont get in.

Do you people just make shit up? The 31 other teams didn't even have the opportunity to offer him a contract. He signed his big 8 year extension before he even hit free agency.

https://www.seattlepi.com/sports/fo...gn-Shaun-Alexander-for-62-million-1197619.php

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
bevellisthedevil":2kossujz said:
I am glad people have good memories of him. I remember him as a good back that had huge holes provided to him by very good olineman and a fullback who would make cb's ball up and cry to get him to the second level.
I remember him fondly as well. Everyone should. That fondness doesn't mean he's HoF-worthy, is all.

keasley45

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":fs13gtq7 said:
bevellisthedevil":fs13gtq7 said:
I am glad people have good memories of him. I remember him as a good back that had huge holes provided to him by very good olineman and a fullback who would make cb's ball up and cry to get him to the second level.
I remember him fondly as well. Everyone should. That fondness doesn't mean he's HoF-worthy, is all.

At the end of the day its great to have a debate about whether a player from your team was great or one of the best of all time. Seems the line between the for and against crowds is as firm as ever, lol. Im sure he was a great dude, he certainly put up great stats, but agree with you.

keasley45

Reaction score
Seanhawk":3nkgrvey said:
keasley45":3nkgrvey said:
John63":3nkgrvey said:
keasley45":3nkgrvey said:

Shaun wont get in.

Do you people just make $h!t up? The 31 other teams didn't even have the opportunity to offer him a contract. He signed his big 8 year extension before he even hit free agency.

https://www.seattlepi.com/sports/fo...gn-Shaun-Alexander-for-62-million-1197619.php

Tbis wasnt a reference to his massive contract. It was about him being cut by seattle, becoming a free agent, and nobody in the league but the redskins wanting to give him a shot. He was free to join any team that wanted him. No one did. Only Jim Zorn took a chance, and then cut him.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This is a hilarious post to build a thread on.

Of course not. That is ridiculous.

He isn't even the 3rd best back to play for Seattle.

He was fortunate to run behind a HOF Tackle and Guard. But he would have been nothing special without them.

HOF?

Funny joke.

John63

Reaction score
keasley45":2wuvmbc7 said:
Seanhawk":2wuvmbc7 said:
keasley45":2wuvmbc7 said:
John63":2wuvmbc7 said:

Do you people just make $h!t up? The 31 other teams didn't even have the opportunity to offer him a contract. He signed his big 8 year extension before he even hit free agency.

Tbis wasnt a reference to his massive contract. It was about him being cut by seattle, becoming a free agent, and nobody in the league but the redskins wanting to give him a shot. He was free to join any team that wanted him. No one did. Only Jim Zorn took a chance, and then cut him.

And again after an injury plagued season were he never fully recovered. But hey lets leave that FACT out.

jon70

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1wwuops8 said:
keasley45":1wwuops8 said:
IndyHawk":1wwuops8 said:
sdog1981":1wwuops8 said:
NFL MVP, Super Bowl MVP, 20 rushing TD season and a 2000 yard rushing season. He is a Hall of Fame player. He could have played for 15 more seasons rushing for 0 yards every year and still be a HOF running back, due to his 1996 to 1998 seasons.
SA had an MVP,27 tds,1880 rushing and got hosed in SB-Thats a HOF season too.
Here look at his stats closely and tell me he shouldn't be in.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... exSh00.htm

He shouldn't be in. Its not all about the stats. he wasn't individually HOF great. He has HOF stats because he had a great O-Line opening gashes in defenses for him to chew up yards.

Emmitt Smith should have never made it either right?
Franco Harris is in the HOF for what?? catdhing one pass that one teams fans believe should have been incomplete

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Can someone out there find a youtube clip of the play/game where SA slides down (giving himself up) in the left flat ( I believe if memory serves, it was towards the North endzone/Hawks nest)? It was either a run play or a dump off and he had nothing but green around him and he performed the most cowardly, embarrassing baseball hook slide to end the play. It was and still is to this day, the single most cowardly play by an NFL ball carrier in the history of the league. Combine that with his houdini act once he got his big contract, he shouldn't even be mentioned in the best running backs to play a game in the city of Seattle conversation.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":30lpkeao said:
Welshers":30lpkeao said:
As I said, fair or not, those things stick with the voting committee. Winning a SB has proven to be vital to getting into the hall

Hmmm... I wonder how that would affect someone like Larry Fitzgerald.

No, SB win on resume has an impact, but not overwhelmingly so.
SA shouldn't even be mentioned in the same universe as Larry.

Reaction score
He catches a lot more flak than I think he deserves (when he played and obviously now), but I'll say no. He had a pretty good career but it's not quite HOF-worthy.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
keasley45":2w7922e5 said:
pittpnthrs":2w7922e5 said:
keasley45":2w7922e5 said:
Being soft at the point of contact IS NOT a defining characteristic of a HOF back. You dont have to be Campbell or Lynch. You can be cut from the Sanders, LT or Faulk cloth and juke the crap out of guy. (BTW, Lynch could do that too - Google Lynch jukes Ray Lewis - Classic). Shaun got the yards that were on the table when the blocking worked well. Not when it didnt.

Shaun wont get in.

This ^^^^ right here showed through in his play once he got that contract. It was there before, but once he got that deal, he completely checked out. The Hawks might as well of had you or I back there during that time.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I don't remember the play you are talking about so it obviously didn't stand out as much to me at the time.

OrangeGravy":gcogdaqk said:
Combine that with his houdini act once he got his big contract
Shaun received the big extension in March 2006 and then cracked a bone in his foot in September. That wrecked his season pretty well, but he still ran for over 200 yards on a broken foot in that GB game. Then the following year he lost Hutch, broke his wrist, lost Mack Strong to a career ending injury, sprained his knee, and then sprained his ankle.

Is that unfortunate timing? Sure, but it also wasn't that surprising given that he picked up all those injuries at age 29 and age 30 after getting a huge amount of carries in the previous few years. RBs have short careers and Shaun played longer than a lot of guys. Lynch retired at 29 and I don't see people here throwing shade at him over it. The Seahawks giving a huge extension to a 29 year old RB with a ton of wear and tear was the real problem there.

Reaction score
It's not his fault the team offered him that kind of contract. Put any of us in SA's shoes, and we take that deal without a second though. If anything, he's a lesson on why you don't sign 29-year old RBs to long term, lucrative deals. Injuries and age caught up to the guy and it's not the first time, especially with RBs.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":15ojpgoa said:
keasley45":15ojpgoa said:
pittpnthrs":15ojpgoa said:
keasley45":15ojpgoa said:
Being soft at the point of contact IS NOT a defining characteristic of a HOF back. You dont have to be Campbell or Lynch. You can be cut from the Sanders, LT or Faulk cloth and juke the crap out of guy. (BTW, Lynch could do that too - Google Lynch jukes Ray Lewis - Classic). Shaun got the yards that were on the table when the blocking worked well. Not when it didnt.

Shaun wont get in.

This ^^^^ right here showed through in his play once he got that contract. It was there before, but once he got that deal, he completely checked out. The Hawks might as well of had you or I back there during that time.

https://www.seattlepi.com/sports/footba ... 163237.php

SELFISH, BITC$