Don't throw the ball to Percy Harvin!

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Uncle Si":fz1l34q1 said:
AsylumGuido":fz1l34q1 said:
Uncle Si":fz1l34q1 said:
DavidSeven":fz1l34q1 said:
Not sure if this is satire or not...

But if serious... hesitation will get you killed. Either go full throttle or don't play. This is the Super Bowl, not the time to get cute. Every guy who steps foot on that field needs to have the exact same mindset of playing a physical, tough football game.

Exactly... Not to mention a. We aren't playing a team whose defense is ranked high nor known for attempting to take out opponents. 2. Percy has a pretty good history of going out for pssses

You weren't playing a team known for taking out players two weeks ago, either. You were playing a team who was falsely accused of having a bounty program which eventually turned out to be nothing more than a player run performance pool which routinely appeared in every defensive meeting room in the NFL. I have watched every single snap the Saints have played since the advent of Sunday Ticket and have never seen anything I would ever classify as "headhunting" or "intent to injure". The first hit by Rafael Bush was definitely a penalty according to today's rules, but it was no more vicious or intentional than 15-20 plays that occur every week across the league.

Brett Favre says youre clueless...

And Doug Baldwin wants his helmet back.

CANHawk

Reaction score
No, we need to use Percy to his full potential. He's a big boy and can take a few licks. What we NEED to do is to make sure that Russell doesn't hang him out to dry again. I love Russ to death and usually think he can do no wrong, but those two blows to Percy's head were completely on Russ. The Bush hit was dirty yes, but that ball should have been on the other shoulder where Bush couldn't have done as much damage. i don't know what was going on with the second one in the endzone that knocked him out, but it sure was fugly...

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
DavidSeven":33jux4js said:
AsylumGuido":33jux4js said:
Uncle Si":33jux4js said:
DavidSeven":33jux4js said:

But if serious... hesitation will get you killed. Either go full throttle or don't play. This is the Super Bowl, not the time to get cute. Every guy who steps foot on that field needs to have the exact same mindset of playing a physical, tough football game.

Exactly... Not to mention a. We aren't playing a team whose defense is ranked high nor known for attempting to take out opponents. 2. Percy has a pretty good history of going out for pssses

You weren't playing a team known for taking out players two weeks ago, either. You were playing a team who was falsely accused of having a bounty program which eventually turned out to be nothing more than a player run performance pool which routinely appeared in every defensive meeting room in the NFL. I have watched every single snap the Saints have played since the advent of Sunday Ticket and have never seen anything I would ever classify as "headhunting" or "intent to injure". The first hit by Rafael Bush was definitely a penalty according to today's rules, but it was no more vicious or intentional than 15-20 plays that occur every week across the league.

You don't think they were headhunting Favre in the 2009 NFCCG? Even casual viewers could see what was happening there.

No, they weren't headhunting. They were being physical and putting a pounding on the QB. That is the goal of every defense in the NFL. They were extremely successful of doing just that in that game.

CANHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":201u44fy said:
Kam Chancellor will kill someone if they try that crap with us.

You say that, and you're not wrong, but BB might have litterally killed someone. He is such a bad man. I miss him... :(

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think they need to protect him early based on what happened against the Saints. When that safety nailed him and got the penalty, the players and at least one coach on the sideline congratulated him. And then just a regular play in the end zone, he gets hammered again. Receivers stretching out for the ball are vulnerable.

Why put him at risk receiving when the history shows that a hard hit can take him out with a concussion? Even Golden Tate had to leave the game temporarily after a hit in that game. But Tate's a tough dude and has been playing/taking hits all season long. Percy is not Golden.

Harvin can get you a lot of yards in a lot of different ways without hanging him out there. What happens if you throw him the ball early and he gets a concussion? What good does that do that team?

We saw the effect Percy has on a defense just by being on the field. Look at how Marshawn blew through the DLine with the threat of Harvin there. What if he goes out in the first quarter getting clobbered while laying out for a pass?

I base my opinion on watching where he has been successful and where he has gotten hurt, and for him it seems receiving the ball is where it happens the most because he's just such a competitor that he's going to lay out for that ball.

I would prefer he get the ball in open space and create from there. He's of no use to us on the sideline, you know, where he's been most of the season.

rjdriver

Reaction score
ivotuk":16m1bvee said:
We all saw what Wes Welker did to Talib, the same Wes Welker who showed his team mates a video of big hits the night before the Broncos/Patriots game.
;)

[youtube]giQ6hmPKK6A[/youtube]

Do you think this was one of the videos he shared with his team?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ivotuk":a2u5i8us said:
I think they need to protect him early based on what happened against the Saints.

I think they tried that. Remember Harvin's first touch was the quick bubble screen that went for no yards.

Bottom line is it's up to Harvin to protect himself early and absorb a couple hits and not expose his body to getting crushed. Russell's gonna do what Russell does, throw it to whoever he thinks is open........he's not concerned with "oh man, I better not throw this to Percy, he might get hurt."

chihawk

Reaction score
NorthwestSportsFan":37fc2gai said:
Dude. It's the freaking Superb Owl. If he gets hurt he'll have the whole offseason to heal up. I want him in on as many snaps as possible.

Who is this Superb Owl you speak of? Some mystical creature? Is he really that much better than a regular owl?

Sprfunk

Reaction score
Nothing left to save him for. We need to go all out!

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1airqe32 said:
DavidSeven":1airqe32 said:

3)Bellicheat is a baby. Whaaa..... 4)Percy doesn't play to avoid contact..He invites it.

idahawks

Reaction score
AsylumGuido":1k4tzcmu said:
Uncle Si":1k4tzcmu said:
DavidSeven":1k4tzcmu said:

Wow This is a bold statement. Then why is your defensive cooridinator banned from the league? Why did peyton take a year off? and why did your LB get a 15 yd penalty for targeting the head of harvin when he had clearly dropped the ball?

seadoc30

Reaction score
How about telling Russell Wilson to stop throwing jump balls to him and exposing him to big hits. And also to throw those screen passes to him instead of keeping it himself.

RW was mostly responsible for Harvin getting popped twice in that Saints game. And Harvin had all green ahead of him if Russell had thrown that one screen pass instead of keeping it. Let's hope he doesn't play like a rookie in his first game at the superbowl.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
ivotuk":1zpo0y3e said:
I think they need to protect him early based on what happened against the Saints. When that safety nailed him and got the penalty, the players and at least one coach on the sideline congratulated him. And then just a regular play in the end zone, he gets hammered again. Receivers stretching out for the ball are vulnerable.

Why put him at risk receiving when the history shows that a hard hit can take him out with a concussion? Even Golden Tate had to leave the game temporarily after a hit in that game. But Tate's a tough dude and has been playing/taking hits all season long. Percy is not Golden.

Harvin can get you a lot of yards in a lot of different ways without hanging him out there. What happens if you throw him the ball early and he gets a concussion? What good does that do that team?

We saw the effect Percy has on a defense just by being on the field. Look at how Marshawn blew through the DLine with the threat of Harvin there. What if he goes out in the first quarter getting clobbered while laying out for a pass?

I base my opinion on watching where he has been successful and where he has gotten hurt, and for him it seems receiving the ball is where it happens the most because he's just such a competitor that he's going to lay out for that ball.

I would prefer he get the ball in open space and create from there. He's of no use to us on the sideline, you know, where he's been most of the season.

First, we ban him from taking kickoff returns. Next, we ban him from catching open passes. What next? At some point, Denver is going to figure out he's a decoy and react accordingly. That's going to harm our offense more than it's going to help it. The Saints DBs put a licking on Tate and Baldwin, too. They were obviously playing physical and had the personnel to do it. I don't expect that to happen against Denver.

Also, as suggested by another poster, Percy needs to learn how to protect himself as a receiver. He has to learn that on his own. We can't treat him like a China doll for the next 3-5 years.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Get him warmed up in the firsr quarter by letting him throw a few blocks to get in the swing of things, then just turn him loose. Play this game timidly and you're asking for an injury.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Russell throws the same passes to Baldwin, Tate and Kearse. They know how to position themselves to make those catches without getting hurt. And they know when to give up on a ball. I believe it was Chris Carter or Jerry Rice who said this was a skill in itself. Percy needs to learn how to do this if he wants stay on the field consistently. Don't put it on Russ.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I didn't say ban him from kick offs, that is John Clayton. I think he should do Kick Offs because he will have the ball in his hands before anyone can contact him (most of the time).

I think with his history and competitiveness that we should protect him from the type of shots he took versus NO. I'm sure there are people on the Broncos that wouldn't mind a 15 yard penalty if it took Harvin out of the game like it did against the Saints.

Tate, Baldwin and Kearse are up to speed as they have been playing at NFL speed all year, Percy hasn't. Yet they are all 3 dinged up from taking big hits. There is NO way Perch Harvin can take the kind of beating those guys can.

My question, risk losing him early by throwing passes to him when we have been winning without him?

Or, keep him on the field because he will open up the game for the rest of our offense. I think he is much more valuable in the 2nd case.

I believe that having Harvin on the field, getting the ball behind the LOS, even if he hasn't caught a pass, opens up the running game and the passing game. Even if someone told Denver that PH was only a decoy, do you really think they would leave him uncovered?

stonewallj799

Reaction score
I understand the idea of only using him as a decoy. You don't need to feature him but his presence will be felt just being on the field. Look at the Marshawn run from the saints game. His presence opened up that td run because the safety had to account from him on the opposite side of the field.

hawk45

Reaction score
I thought the prevailing opinion on the board was that Percy wasn't fragile, he is just not in game shape and used to taking hits?

Because if that's true, the OP makes sense to me. If he wasn't in game shape vs the Saints he's not in game shape now. He can still contribute, but to maximize his contribution, try and find ways to get him the ball that do not involve throwing to him where a safety (who will be cheating his direction) is waiting to pop him. That safety is going to be waiting to pop him all game. He's a slot receiver, he makes a living going over the middle. Now if we use a balanced approach and burn Denver for cheating Percy's way a few times, then if the coverages are more honest, every ball can go Percy's way in the 2nd half until he is decapitated and we won't care.

In this thread I'm hearing "he has to learn how to take a hit"...er...okay, in the next 10 days? So that logic makes zero sense as well.

I'm also hearing "use all your bullets"...that's essentially just a slogan and a non-response to the OP. Using all your bullets can just as easily be a strategy that emphasizes getting him the ball in a position to defend himself for 2 quarters and then feeding him until he drops in the 2nd half.

Lastly, the game plan vs. the Saints looked to me like it was all-Harvin, and we were SOL when he got cracked. I do not want to see that crap again. Even a balanced game plan will benefit from Harvin's gravity drawing coverage, and you won't have to throw a balanced game plan out the window and give up on passing essentially if Harvin gets whacked.