Don't throw the ball to Percy Harvin!

DavidSeven

Reaction score
What does game shape have to do with absorbing a concussion? Any player in the NFL would have been knocked out on that hit. Your brain doesn't get "used to" that kind of impact. In fact, the opposite is true. The more hits you take like that, the more susceptible you are to additional concussions.

marko358

Reaction score
I would also limit touches for Lynch and perhaps alternate drives with RW and Tavaris.

hawk45

Reaction score
DavidSeven":210djrl2 said:
What does game shape have to do with absorbing a concussion? Any player in the NFL would have been knocked out on that hit. Your brain doesn't get "used to" that kind of impact. In fact, the opposite is true. The more hits you take like that, the more susceptible you are to additional concussions.

I actually agree with you here but this was a prevailing opinion when the topic of Percy being a little fragile was raised.

At any rate, let's throw that point out, Harvin had multiple headshots his last game and so by your reasoning (and mine) is more likely than he was prior to those shots to have another and be lost for the game. Keeping to bubble screens, handing off to him in the backfield, kick returns, maybe out-routes, etc. for 1 half of play can still get him a ton of touches out there.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Get his ass out there and tell him to make plays. It's the damn Super Bowl and there may not be another one for him or anyone else on the Hawks.

HawkWow

Reaction score
AsylumGuido":24ddhj3j said:
Uncle Si":24ddhj3j said:
DavidSeven":24ddhj3j said:
Not sure if this is satire or not...

But if serious... hesitation will get you killed. Either go full throttle or don't play. This is the Super Bowl, not the time to get cute. Every guy who steps foot on that field needs to have the exact same mindset of playing a physical, tough football game.

Exactly... Not to mention a. We aren't playing a team whose defense is ranked high nor known for attempting to take out opponents. 2. Percy has a pretty good history of going out for pssses

You weren't playing a team known for taking out players two weeks ago, either. You were playing a team who was falsely accused of having a bounty program which eventually turned out to be nothing more than a player run performance pool which routinely appeared in every defensive meeting room in the NFL. I have watched every single snap the Saints have played since the advent of Sunday Ticket and have never seen anything I would ever classify as "headhunting" or "intent to injure". The first hit by Rafael Bush was definitely a penalty according to today's rules, but it was no more vicious or intentional than 15-20 plays that occur every week across the league.

I have no issue with your Saints. I have no issue with hard hitting football. I have no issue with the hit on Harvin. I have no issue with any bounty program as long as everything is done within the confines of the rules. The defense gets together and awards players for hitting hard enough to legally incapacitate an opposing player?? What's not to like?

BUT...you can't tell me your D didn't cheapshot the hell out of Kurt Warner. He threw an interception and one of your players hunted the defenseless Warner down and blindsided him even though he was not a threat to make a play on the ball. It was cheap, it was ugly and you, appearing to be a good man, likely did not approve, if you recall the play I reference.

This is not a knock on your team in it's entirety. This stuff happens, but when people start crying "bounty"...that play in particular jumps out at me. Very uncool even though I didn't care for (the great) Kurt Warner. I wouldn't have been happy had a Hawk done that to Drew Brees (or any defenseless player, QB in particular).

The Outfield

Reaction score
Sure you can try to have this mindset, but if Russell sees Harvin open, he'll pass it to him.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Denver's defense is wretched against the pass. Absolutely awful. The reason why San Diego and even New England didn't test it more often than they did was because their defense was in NO way capable of slowing down that Broncos offense - especially a Broncos offense in very unseasonably warm weather.

Guess what? The Seahawks ... sort of have a defense. We don't have to play ball control. We can be aggressive on offense (provided its not a blizzard of course)

Denver's defense is simply not good. Especially without Harris and Miller.

So yes.. you throw it to Harvin. Because in all likelihood we're going to line him up in the slot and that's a mismatch no matter what DB is in front of him. If they want to slide DRC over.. suddenly Tate/Baldwin/Kearse have great matchups.

Harvin's presence in this game is HUGE folks. Absolutely HUGE.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Watching Fox football and they just replayed the hit on Harvin 2 or 3 times and it was nasty
Percy had had preseason, no season to speak of so he hasn't adjusted to "game speed"which means being able to tell how fast a big safety is closing with a split second to make that decision.

Go back and watch that hit, you can see it coming but Percy didn't. He never got a chance to protect himself the way Crabtree and Davis did in the NFCCG. What good do you do your team if you get trucked the first play out?

Give him at least the first half to get up to speed. Then if things are desperate then he will be better able to handle it.

Even in the run game, backs use the first half to set up the big runs they get in the second half.

In Denver's Superbowl, Terrell Davis had a migraine from a big hit and could barely see. Shanahan sent him out and said "if they don't see you on the field, they will know it's not a run." TD went out on the field, . They faked the run and scored a touchdown. Helped immensely by the "threat" of Terrell running the ball.

Percy is more susceptible now than ever before for another concussion, why throw him to the wolves? He's a chess piece, use him wisely.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
And before you respond, i suggest you go watch that hit by the saints safety a couple of times. Percy was not ready and i don't think he saw it coming.

There was no situational awareness that comes from recent experience.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ivotuk":kng9tl2t said:
And before you respond, i suggest you go watch that hit by the saints safety a couple of times. Percy was not ready and i don't think he saw it coming.

There was no situational awareness that comes from recent experience.

Concussions happen, if he's healthy.. you throw him the ball. Period.

Wes Welker has had numerous concussions in his career and I doubt Peyton Manning is going "ah, don't want to throw it at Wes just in case he gets a boo boo"

Exittium

Reaction score
Last Game for what 8 months.. I say put him out there and let him do his thing. Prove he's worth the wait and that everything up until now was worth the what if's, is he playing, when will he return. Denver imo doesnt have the speed on ST to keep PH in the back, and if PH is on the field i think we saw a small sample of what Bevell has planned with him and if thats the case I liked what I did see. Especially when this is going to be probably one of the easiest defense's we've face all year.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I would love to see some plays that get Percy the ball in space. I've been thinking this the past two days and that's what I got from the OP. There's nothing wrong with providing him a second or two to maneuver.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
The OP was trolling right? Though if I misunderstood I definitely agree with fly sweeps, bubble screens, and Percy as a RB. Anything to give him space.

themunn

Reaction score
Harvin should absolutely be back there for kick returns, simply because we can rest assured that Prater will probably hit every kickoff out of the endzone regardless of who is back there, but why wouldn't you want Harvin there for the possibility that one falls short?

As for getting the ball to him - I'd try and use him as a decoy in the first half until we can convince Denver he's not worth committing extra men to... then brutally dismantle them when he is wide wide open

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Bro, this is football.

I understand Percy might be a little fragile, but it's the nature of the game.

Step up Percy!

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
idahawks":ndr55kdr said:
AsylumGuido":ndr55kdr said:
Uncle Si":ndr55kdr said:
DavidSeven":ndr55kdr said:
Not sure if this is satire or not...

But if serious... hesitation will get you killed. Either go full throttle or don't play. This is the Super Bowl, not the time to get cute. Every guy who steps foot on that field needs to have the exact same mindset of playing a physical, tough football game.

Exactly... Not to mention a. We aren't playing a team whose defense is ranked high nor known for attempting to take out opponents. 2. Percy has a pretty good history of going out for pssses

You weren't playing a team known for taking out players two weeks ago, either. You were playing a team who was falsely accused of having a bounty program which eventually turned out to be nothing more than a player run performance pool which routinely appeared in every defensive meeting room in the NFL. I have watched every single snap the Saints have played since the advent of Sunday Ticket and have never seen anything I would ever classify as "headhunting" or "intent to injure". The first hit by Rafael Bush was definitely a penalty according to today's rules, but it was no more vicious or intentional than 15-20 plays that occur every week across the league.

Wow This is a bold statement. Then why is your defensive cooridinator banned from the league? Why did peyton take a year off? and why did your LB get a 15 yd penalty for targeting the head of harvin when he had clearly dropped the ball?

Wow! You sure don't have your facts straight. First, the defensive coordinator at the time of the alleged events was Gregg Williams, who is not only not banned from the league, but spent the entire 2013 season as Senior Assistant Coach for defense with the Tennessee Titans. Secondly, "Peyton" took a year off from the league due to a neck injury, but I am not sure what that has to do with Harvin getting planted. Third, I assume you meant to refer to the Saints head coach, Sean Payton, who was forced to serve an unprecedented penalty for allegedly lying to Roger Goodell about the existence of a "Bounty System" , a fictitious system that was never proven because it never existed. In the end, it was determined that the Saints had nothing more than the typical player performance pool going on which, while against the rules, was admittedly prevalent in every defensive locker room in the NFL. Fourth, no Saints LB was flagged for any penalty on Percy Harvin during the game. Not one. On the other hand, Saints Safety Rafael Bush did receive a 15 yard penalty for an illegal hit on Harvin. There was no "targeting" of the head and it was no more flagrant than 15-20 plays that occur weekly in the NFL. In fact, Harvin himself stressed that there was no targetting:

Hitting his head on the turf, just as New Orleans safety Malcolm Jenkins was hitting him in the back, was the second big hit Harvin took against the Saints. He said Thursday he did not believe he was being targeted. Harvin was hit by safety Rafael Bush in the first quarter of the game, a hit that drew a 15-yard penalty and a $21,000 fine from the NFL.

"I thought they were just playing football," said Harvin, who said his history with migraines had no influence on the speed of his recovery from the concussion.

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
HawkWow":2zxef7s2 said:
AsylumGuido":2zxef7s2 said:

I have no issue with your Saints. I have no issue with hard hitting football. I have no issue with the hit on Harvin. I have no issue with any bounty program as long as everything is done within the confines of the rules. The defense gets together and awards players for hitting hard enough to legally incapacitate an opposing player?? What's not to like?

BUT...you can't tell me your D didn't cheapshot the hell out of Kurt Warner. He threw an interception and one of your players hunted the defenseless Warner down and blindsided him even though he was not a threat to make a play on the ball. It was cheap, it was ugly and you, appearing to be a good man, likely did not approve, if you recall the play I reference.

This is not a knock on your team in it's entirety. This stuff happens, but when people start crying "bounty"...that play in particular jumps out at me. Very uncool even though I didn't care for (the great) Kurt Warner. I wouldn't have been happy had a Hawk done that to Drew Brees (or any defenseless player, QB in particular).

Honestly, I didn't have a problem with that hit at all. In fact, neither did Warner.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... long-time/

So did the hit against the Saints end his career? “No, absolutely not,” Warner said. “It was a nice exclamation point on it.”

Warner also pointed out that the hit from Bobby McCray wasn’t dirty. “It was a violent hit, no question,” Warner said. “But I also believes it was a legal hit.”

Warner also admitted he committed the cardinal sin for a QB after a turnover by making a play on the ball. Warner was clearly making a play on the ball carrier as he was less than three yards away and had an angle when McCray made the block.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pC1T1tAbA4s

Seahawk772002

Reaction score
Asylum Quido

said the following

You weren't playing a team known for taking out players two weeks ago, either. You were playing a team who was falsely accused of having a bounty program which eventually turned out to be nothing more than a player run performance pool which routinely appeared in every defensive meeting room in the NFL. I have watched every single snap the Saints have played since the advent of Sunday Ticket and have never seen anything I would ever classify as "headhunting" or "intent to injure". The first hit by Rafael Bush was definitely a penalty according to today's rules, but it was no more vicious or intentional than 15-20 plays that occur every week across the league

My repsonse

Falsely accused - have you heard the half time secretly recorded tape of Greg Williams telling his players to twist Frank Gores knee in a pile in Divionsal Round at Candletick park in 2011

The Radish

Reaction score
Ok boys and girls. This is a string about Harvin, lets not continue conversations about other games and other players.

You have bitches about the Saints game take it to the NFL Forum!

:141847_bnono:

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
Seahawk772002":380qzckw said:
Asylum Quido

said the following

You weren't playing a team known for taking out players two weeks ago, either. You were playing a team who was falsely accused of having a bounty program which eventually turned out to be nothing more than a player run performance pool which routinely appeared in every defensive meeting room in the NFL. I have watched every single snap the Saints have played since the advent of Sunday Ticket and have never seen anything I would ever classify as "headhunting" or "intent to injure". The first hit by Rafael Bush was definitely a penalty according to today's rules, but it was no more vicious or intentional than 15-20 plays that occur every week across the league

My repsonse

Falsely accused - have you heard the half time secretly recorded tape of Greg Williams telling his players to twist Frank Gores knee in a pile in Divionsal Round at Candletick park in 2011

Once again, huge inaccuracies. First of all, the tape was not from halftime of any game. It was from the defense only meeting in the team hotel the night before the game. Secondly, it was not secretly taped. The videographer that made the recording was there filming a documentary on Steve Gleason, the former Saints player who was, and still is, battling ALS. Steve was invited to attend the meeting with his old defensive teammates. Thirdly, not only have I heard the tape, but I have read, in detail, the transcript. I have also read responses from several players that the verbiage used by Williams was his style of firing up the defense through the use of hyperbole. They claimed they never took his rantings literally and, in fact, sometimes it was so obscure that it didn't even make sense.

Next, the reference to Frank Gore had nothing whatsoever to do with a knee nor any pile. The reference was made as part of a lesson taught in defensive meeting rooms across the league. It has to do with the term "Kill the head and the body will die". The Kansas City Chiefs had it painted on as a huge sign outside the defensive meeting room at their facilities. It implies, that just as with a snake, if you kill the head the rest cannot function. Williams, in the manner of many defensive coaches, would identify the key player on the opposing team and stress the importance of limiting that player's affect on the game. In the case of Gore, he had been preaching all week long about needing to keep Gore from running north to south. He stressed stopping his up-field routes and turning him to the sidelines, making him run parallel to the line of scrimmage.

Keeping all of this in mind, here is the "actual" text from the tape concerning Gore:

You're here because we saw in you...and we hope we picked the right person that won't apologize for competing the way we have to compete. There may be better athletes, but not defensive football players that have to go into war and play we (expletive) play.

A mind troubled by doubt cannot focus on victory.

The NFL's a production business don't ever forget it. Where are we at right now? We gotta tie at the top. We've got a lot of guys at the top.

Kill the head and the body will die. Kill the head and the body will die.

We've got to do everything in the world to make sure we kill Frank Gore's head. We want him running sideways. We want his head sideways.

Little 32, we want to knock the (explicative) out of him. He has no idea what he's in for. When he's on the sidelines we've gotta turn that (expletive) over, turn their coaches over, turn the spectators over, go get that (expletive) on the sidelines.

It's a great game, it's a production business.

You can see the use of hyperbole, how he uses verbal imagery to get his point across. Jesus was well known for doing the same with his numerous parables, by no means directly comparing the two men, of course.

;)

Note how he repeated the message twice in the beginning of the text. It was for emphasis. Note the references to turning over the coaches and the spectators. If it was in anyway literal in meaning then he would be implying that the Saints were to take out coaches and go up into the stands and slaughter the masses. LOL. No, it is all hyperbole.