Down to 4 options

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Quinn
Johnson
Macdonald
Vrabel

Imo one of these will be the new hc. If not named before tomorrow or Saturday I'm thinking it's Macdonald or Johnson. Why hold out otherwise??
We have yet to even interview Vrabel, or Macdonald.

getnasty

Reaction score
Confused oh why we never interviewed McDonald. Best D in the league, young, can't say it's because they want a offensive guy because they have interviewed Graham twice. Just don't get that one.

bigcc

Reaction score
Confused oh why we never interviewed McDonald. Best D in the league, young, can't say it's because they want a offensive guy because they have interviewed Graham twice. Just don't get that one.

Tldr: timing, we can't interview him until the ravens lose on Sunday or after the superbowl

Macdonald has been a revelation in Baltimore, they went from 19/25/29 in points/yards allowed/turnovers forced, to 3/9/9 in Macdonalds first year, 1/6/1 his second.

First in nfl history(!) to lead the league in points allowed/sacks/turnovers this year.

He's 36.

Throw the bank at him, seriously, look at how he uses Kyle Hamilton and imagine what he can do with witherspoon.

He also coaches a 3-4 so the defense wouldn't need an entire roster overhaul going to a 4-3.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/new...-coach-interview-candidates-locked-on-podcast
Among those set to speak with general manager John Schneider and the rest of Seattle's brass a second time, four defensive coordinators have reportedly been scheduled for interviews, including Raiders coordinator Patrick Graham, Rams coordinator Raheem Morris, Cowboys coordinator Dan Quinn, and Panthers coordinator Ejiro Evero. The team also requested a second meeting with Giants offensive coordinator Mike Kafka.

Ozzy

Reaction score
It really seems like it’s Macdonald and Johnson as the front runners but we will soon find out. If they don’t hire someone this next week it will narrow it down a ton

BASF

Reaction score
Very weird that Johnson wants to be in the top five for pay as a head coach without having done it yet. Also weird that he wants more than double what his current head coach is getting. Maybe he doesn't have the confidence in success and he wants as much as he can get now in case he doesn't last long.

bigcc

Reaction score
Very weird that Johnson wants to be in the top five for pay as a head coach without having done it yet. Also weird that he wants more than double what his current head coach is getting. Maybe he doesn't have the confidence in success and he wants as much as he can get now in case he doesn't last long.
Never happened, 15 mil is nonsense

That's his agent

WarHawks

Reaction score
Johnson or McDonald sounds great. We need young, new thinking and a fresh start. Hiring a retread doesn't make sense.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
"Vrabel, for one, has been linked closely with Seattle."

Where'd he hear that? I haven't heard his name really mentioned with us at all.
yeah what? AFIK we haven't even interviewed him.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Mike MacDonald is the guy for me. He's the only one that had a defense that nuked the 49ers offense and slowed down the Rams offense. Not to mention just bullying the Seahawks and Lions offenses. Nobody else besides Commanders is really

I do think Ben Johnson probably winds up in DC for all the reasons mentioned, his East Coast roots and connections, and a chance to get Drake Maye, etc.

MacDonald HC and lure Kafka over to be OC. A "lateral" move for Kafka could actually be an upgrade because he'd actually be in charge on the offensive side, not being subject to Brian Daboll's meddling. Daboll took play-calling away from Kafka during the 2nd half of a week 10 loss to the Cowboys, and potentially more times than that. So I think Kafka is odds-on fave to be next Hawks OC. In my book anyway.

The Athletic has an article on Daboll-Kafka rift. See https://theathletic.com/5212397/2024/01/19/new-york-giants-mike-kafka-brian-daboll/

Either way, with only two HC vacancies left, the Seahawks have a shot at two legit candidates. I'd take Macdonald over Johnson and I think that's the way the board is falling.

Somebody needs to start a name-the-next-coach contest with prizes and stuff for whoever picks the HC correctly.

Last edited:

SeaWolv

Reaction score
yeah what? AFIK we haven't even interviewed him.
Could be from some back channel communications. Most of these interviews are preceded by some kind of discussion to gauge basic mutual interest.