DJrmb":2yiwpjju said:
Uncle Si":2yiwpjju said:
mikeak":2yiwpjju said:
That is great for New England

lets look at Broncos 2015

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... roster.htm

offense - 1st round -- 2, 3rd round - 6 and then one in 4th and 6th
defense - 1st round -4!!!, 2nd - 1, 5th - 2 and 6th 1 with 2 UDFA

So between starting offense and defense 6 first rounders, one more in second and another 6 in third round. So conclusion is starting team is built in the first three rounds

Now if someone did a historical look at the last 10 years and looked at starters and not just one snapshot picture in time of the one team that probably have been the best at finding talent outside the draft that would be a meaningful discussion.

Your conclusion to 13 of 22 players being in the first 3 rounds is that "starting team is built in the first 3 rounds?"

Doesn't seem to fit the percentages, really? Couldn't you say that 9 of 22 starters were from 4th- UDFA and say "starting team is built pretty equally across the draft?" or did I miss something.
I think what Mikeak was trying to get at is that taking a snapshot of a single team doesn't really give us any conclusion either way. If someone took the last 10 years or more into account and found out how many of each round started in the games that would be something that one could actually draw a conclusion from or at least form an educated opinion.

If you stuck with the same game as the twitter link and looked at Atlanta they had 4 1st rounders starting on offense alone (Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, Jake Matthews, & Alex Mack). The rest of the offense consisting of 1 second rounder, 3 third rounders, 1 fourth rounder, and 2 UDFA's. So if you only looked at only Atlanta one could draw the conclusion that good starting units must consist mainly of 4th rounders or above hence the need to look at more units over multiple years to draw any real conclusions.

In fairness, Atlanta has 3 top 10 picks on offense, something the Hawks have no shot at acquiring soon hopefully.

SeaHawk80

Reaction score
Funny you mention Young and Brady and forget Montana, 82nd overall pick, that would be 12 of 21 by 3 players. Making your first round quarterback stat even more impressive.

:stirthepot:

Hawks46

Reaction score
Jville":8ssx6h8k said:
I think it fair to say the evolving Patriot paradigm works.

It's a reminder that not so long ago ....... all those Seahawk free agents and later round picks persevered over an extensive 49er collection of former high round draft picks. Seattle has carried on. San Francisco collapsed and is now rebuilding.

Agreed. This still doesn't show the entire picture. The Patriots aren't that much better at drafting than we are, really. I'll give an example:

It shows that Bennett was drafted in the 2nd round. Problem here is that Bennett was a FA. The Patriots never drafted him.

Go back and look at their team. They typically do much better in FA than most teams do. Their drafts aren't significantly better than average.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":2ekera5z said:
Jville":2ekera5z said:
I think it fair to say the evolving Patriot paradigm works.

It's a reminder that not so long ago ....... all those Seahawk free agents and later round picks persevered over an extensive 49er collection of former high round draft picks. Seattle has carried on. San Francisco collapsed and is now rebuilding.

Agreed. This still doesn't show the entire picture. The Patriots aren't that much better at drafting than we are, really. I'll give an example:

It shows that Bennett was drafted in the 2nd round. Problem here is that Bennett was a FA. The Patriots never drafted him.

Go back and look at their team. They typically do much better in FA than most teams do. Their drafts aren't significantly better than average.

Martellus was still a great FA pickup by the Pats; they certainly evaluate talent well for their system.

I'd appreciate seeing seeing the percentage of Patriots' draftees and how long they stay in the league as starters. I'm not sure where to find this info, but it certainly seems better than average. After all, that's the only way teams stay successful since FA alone is usually too costly.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
For all the Pats' reputation for getting starters from the sixth round, they actually had a long streak of terrible luck after their 2004 Super Bowl. Chad Jackson was its poster child.

All goes to show that there's really only one position that matters.

mikeak

Reaction score
SeaHawk80":33zjs4kl said:
Funny you mention Young and Brady and forget Montana, 82nd overall pick, that would be 12 of 21 by 3 players. Making your first round quarterback stat even more impressive.

:stirthepot:

I have heard of that guy Montana :) - excellent point big miss.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The Patriots are kings of offsetting draft failures with trades.

Randy Moss
Wes Welker
Ted Washington (NT for his first SB win)
Corry Dillion
Martellus Bennett
Akeem Ayers

All key cogs to his team going to or winning a Superbowl. He also is the king at trading for a player that is in his final year of a deal so when he signs with another team the Pats get a compensatory selection.

As for the Oline. Superbowl champions are built with 4-7th rounders on the Oline. That way you can spend your cap dollars on the high-value positions.