Draftnik input?

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Appreciate the analysis Attyla!

I must admit that I have not watched many offensive prospects this year. But (even with my aversion to Wisconsin backs) I really like Jonathan Taylor and would not be opposed with us taking him. I also really like what I've seen from DeVonta Smith.

I guess I'm used to Seattle drafting and developing for need *cough* Collier, Ifedi, McDowell *cough*, so I've spent my time looking at the other side of the ball. I think coming out of this draft with Jennings in the late 3rd or Weaver in the 2nd would be solid picks.

Jennings reminds me so much of Reed coming out of Alabama. Reed was a true, anchoring NT at Bama and developed in a pass rusher as a pro. A lot of what I read/hear about Jennings reminds me of what I heard about Reed. I need to see how he tests, but my hunch is that he is a much better prospect than Collier. Collier is a maxed out athlete at this point and (at best) will be the DL version of Ifedi (i.e. decent-ish starter).

Weaver somewhat reminds me of the stockier version of Frank Clark that was at Michigan. If I remember, Clark played in the 270s at Michigan. Weaver is right around there and he plays with real power and he looks faster than Clark did coming out. I know it's a bit of a projection, but he has the speed+power combination that makes for a great edge rusher.

OP
OP
chrispy

chrispy

Reaction score
LBs currently on roster (I think)

Wagner
Wright
Kendricks

BurrKirven
Barton

Griffin
Ellerbee
Dekoda Watson

This seems really thin to me.... From Attyla's mention above -LB group is think in the draft- any thoughts on how things might fall out? Barton played some this year and looked like a rookie. BBK has played on ST, but has he played LB? Are those two backups or still getting better? At the beginning of the season I agreed with the consensus that Seahawks may have the best LB group in the league. Could be some injury impact, but it hasn't seemed to play out as the huge strength we all expected. Acquisition of (expensive) FA DL has been discussed, but might it be a better move to get an option at (cheaper) LB?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
chrispy":3fuh6m62 said:
LB group is think in the draft- any thoughts on how things might fall out?

I think positionally, it's a poor option in round one. I don't see any prospects the caliber of a Devin Bush or White. Those guys would still be #1/2 in this draft as in last. I don't see teams reaching for LBs in this draft.

How I think it'll fall out? I think teams are going to be rightly hesitant to pick WRs early. I don't expect more than 3 or 4 in round one. I think the feeding frenzy will start at around pick 40. Many teams needing WR help will try to take advantage of the depth of the class and try to address other need in day one. This frenzy will likely push back LBs and RBs considerably. Wherever the run starts, there are probably 12 or so WR prospects that could end up being taken over the course of 40 picks from the start of the run. I see early R3 to be a good spot to pick up LBs that if you look at early positional rankings -- seem slated for the 25-45 overall range.

I think the combine will shake things up considerably. There aren't any alpha players out there. But a lot of guys that all seem like they are interchangeable. I expect good testers will separate themselves from the pack more than in most years for this group.

chrispy":3fuh6m62 said:
Barton played some this year and looked like a rookie. BBK has played on ST, but has he played LB? Are those two backups or still getting better? At the beginning of the season I agreed with the consensus that Seahawks may have the best LB group in the league. Could be some injury impact, but it hasn't seemed to play out as the huge strength we all expected. Acquisition of (expensive) FA DL has been discussed, but might it be a better move to get an option at (cheaper) LB?

Rams will have a real problem signing both Fowler and Littleton. I expect them to retain Littleton. Oddly enough, I could see Breshad Perriman commanding a lot of attention at WR. Tampa has Evans and Godwin rostered. Also will have to sell their firstborns to keep Shaq Barrett. Perriman likely out.

One year is really too early to cut bait on guys that showed enough to make your roster. That 2nd year bump can make rookies look nothing like what they were a mere 6 months ago. I expect improvement. But also expect guys that will still be inexperienced since they didn't get a lot of play. Wright and Wagner weren't pro bowl caliber guys their first 16 games into the league either.

I never expected great things out of our linebacking quality. There was always the likelihood that age was going to sap speed for at least one, if not all of them from age 28-29/30. Also positionally, it's kind of not difficult to find guys that can be adequate at the position. It's just not a position where good talent translates to impact/dominant play with regularity. The gap in terms of value between adequate LB play and Wagner level play doesn't translate well.

I'd argue our insistence in making our LBs our strength was at the detriment to the defense as a whole. We ended up having good quality LBs trying to cover WRs in space for an eternity because we couldn't rush the passer. It's a disaster in the making. And it played out all season long.

OP
OP
chrispy

chrispy

Reaction score
I think that makes sense Attyla, Thanks. The decline of the LB corp may end up making the D, as a whole, stronger... if it allows for resources elsewhere. Of course that'll evolve with Wagner's new contract so it won't be a cheap position next year.

I think projections have the Seahawks with 4 comp picks, 1 in 3rd round and 1 in 4th for Thomas and Coleman respectively (plus others). It sounds like those picks might end up being pretty valuable as WR and LB talent gets pushed back out of round 1. Assuming there's more horse-trading, potentially with the Round 1 pick, there could be as many as 5 picks on each of days 2 and 3. I think there are currently projected 3 picks in rounds 2 and 3 and already 4 in rounds 4 and 5. Looking at JS's history, it would be pretty surprising if he didn't add a couple picks, at a minimum, somewhere. If there is truly starting level talent in round 2 and trickling into 3, this draft could be a pretty big deal immediately but also set up a core of young players for the future simultaneously.

Maybe it's a one-year anomaly, but my gut tells me that the FO has turned a corner and will try to add FAs late in order to

Latest posts