Dre Greenlaw vs. Eagles head of security

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
Hypothetical question - if a player tackles another player on the sideline, and then while holding him down rips off his helmet and starts punching him, would you want the director of security (or any other human on the sideline, coach or not) to interfere? (this is obviously not what happened, just taking it to the next level for the sake of discussion) As a team, I'd rather have my really large head of security grab the puncher instead of my 72 year old head coach, or have a player risk injury by stepping in the way.
No matter which sideline it is, players / coaches should be able to handle it. Not every team has 72 year old coaches. Only 3 are old enough to be concerned about their hips (Carroll, Belichik, and possibly Reid), and by and large lesser coaches are younger than head coaches. If it's on the punchee's sideline, his own teammates will be springing to his aid. If it's on the puncher's sideline, there's always a few players and coaches with cooler heads who will drag the offender off, especially if they don't want him suspended. Things escalate when mall cops and hangers on get involved.

Torc

Reaction score
the funny thing is, the players are the LAST people I want handling a fight between other players. The only thing they're going to do is escalate it. From the NFL's perspective, I don't want more players getting involved and risking either injury or ejection. Same with coaches. I don't want refs (who are typically older men) getting hurt either - that's happened this year. What I really want is some designated security to step in and break up the fight. I want to protect my product and that means my most valuable assets, the players, should be required to move away from any fights that start and let the professional security dudes handle it.

Reaction score
the funny thing is, the players are the LAST people I want handling a fight between other players. The only thing they're going to do is escalate it. From the NFL's perspective, I don't want more players getting involved and risking either injury or ejection. Same with coaches. I don't want refs (who are typically older men) getting hurt either - that's happened this year. What I really want is some designated security to step in and break up the fight. I want to protect my product and that means my most valuable assets, the players, should be required to move away from any fights that start and let the professional security dudes handle it.

Then you would have to…

1. Change the rules/policies because as they are currently written that is not possible.
  2. Hire people specifically for that because for example Fat Mall Cop’s job description which was identified the next day specifically stated was not to handle on field events. Basically, once the players got off the bus he was a spectator, nothing more.

Torc

Reaction score
Then you would have to…

1. Change the rules/policies because as they are currently written that is not possible.
  2. Hire people specifically for that because for example Fat Mall Cop’s job description which was identified the next day specifically stated was not to handle on field events. Basically, once the players got off the bus he was a spectator, nothing more.
We agree on those things. The rules as they stand at the moment don't fit what I described. I think they should change the rules, but I suspect the players association would never sign off on it. The players think they should police themselves and each other.

Weadoption

Reaction score
every team should be allowed a Peter Griffith sideline outtake rant guy.
it’s a copy cat league

flv2

Reaction score
Players are also prohibited from entering a 'conflict area' or intervening. Doing so results in fines. It's also less confrontational for a non-player to intervene. Good luck leaving it just to the officials.

Bottom line: A player can't attack or intentionally contact a non-player on the opponent's sideline.