Drew Bree’s is the secret GOAT

Mindsink

Reaction score
The fact that this is even discussed (and has been discussed for many years) proves that TB is not the GOAT.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mindsink":t7yzqziu said:
The fact that this is even discussed (and has been discussed for many years) proves that TB is not the GOAT.

Just because fans debate it doesn't mean Brady isn't the GOAT.

Obviously "greatest of all time" is a subjective discussion..........but between Brady, Brees, Manning, Montana, etc most of their tangible stats are pretty close.

So what makes Brady the GOAT? SB rings that's what. So if and when Brees gets another one or two this isn't even a discussion. I love Brees, other than Russell he's my favorite NFL player. But he's only got one ring, and that puts him below Brady and Manning.

Rings matter with these sorts of discussions.

Mindsink

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":fq8pf6wi said:

Obviously "greatest of all time" is a subjective discussion..........but between Brady, Brees, Manning, Montana, etc most of their tangible stats are pretty close.

So what makes Brady the GOAT? SB rings that's what. So if and when Brees gets another one or two this isn't even a discussion. I love Brees, other than Russell he's my favorite NFL player. But he's only got one ring, and that puts him below Brady and Manning.

If Brees ends up with 2 or 3 rings, then this isn't even a discussion? Why? Brady still has 6.

Ask yourself this... if Brady had just one ring (or none), would he even be in the conversation for GOAT? I think not.

Yet names like Dan Marino have been tossed around for many years (maybe not so much anymore), with zero rings on his resume.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mindsink":pnlaz3pb said:
Sgt. Largent":pnlaz3pb said:

If Brees ends up with 2 or 3 rings, then this isn't even a discussion? Why? Brady still has 6.

Ask yourself this... if Brady had just one ring (or none), would he even be in the conversation for GOAT? I think not.

Yet names like Dan Marino have been tossed around for many years (maybe not so much anymore), with zero rings on his resume.

It's closer for sure if Brees get's another couple rings............because that'd also means he's pretty far ahead of Brady stats wise (I assume Brady only has another year or two tops).

My point is right now it's not close, it's Brady. But I'd certainly be willing to give some more rope to the Brees camp if he got another couple rings.

Now? No. It's Brady.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3mqqearj said:
Mindsink":3mqqearj said:

Rings matter, but they're not everything. There are a number of QBs who would have more rings than Brady if they were on the Patriots for the same time instead of Brady. Brady has also benefited from being in a laughably pathetic division outside his own team for almost his entire career, too. He's had seasons where he only had to play a few teams that finished the year with WINNING RECORDS! Must be nice.

Belichick is way more of a GOAT than Brady. The Lombardi Trophy should be renamed the Belichick Trophy. To have that kind of success in the modern NFL where the league has focused on parity between teams as much as possible is insane.

chris98251

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":llf27zqt said:
Sgt. Largent":llf27zqt said:
Mindsink":llf27zqt said:

Rings matter, but they're not everything. There are a number of QBs who would have more rings than Brady if they were on the Patriots for the same time instead of Brady. Brady has also benefited from being in a laughably pathetic division outside his own team for almost his entire career, too. He's had seasons where he only had to play a few teams that finished the year with WINNING RECORDS! Must be nice.

Belichick is way more of a GOAT than Brady. The Lombardi Trophy should be renamed the Belichick Trophy. To have that kind of success in the modern NFL where the league has focused on parity between teams as much as possible is insane.

Much like Walsh in S.F. if he would have coached longer and not went to the College ranks again or the front office how long could they have kept rolling.

Brady is a Product or Belichek and McDaniel's, he still had to perform but what if a Rivers or Bree's Manning had been there instead.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
IronSaint":30h9ap81 said:
knownone":30h9ap81 said:
He still leads the league by far in 4th quarter come backs while playing in less games than Brady and Brees.
He only has 8 more 4th quarter comebacks and 4 more game winning drives than Brees does.

Manning: 43 4th quarter comebacks and 54 game winning drives (45 and 56 including playoffs)
Brees: 35 4th quarter comebacks and 50 game winning drives (37 and 53 including playoffs)

Brees has also had ~20 potential 4th quarter comeback/game winning drives he piloted the Saints offense to, only to watch the defense (or special teams) squander it away. For example...

- 2018 NFC Championship vs. Rams (GWD)
Or the refs screw your team out of it. :x

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":92iram5v said:
Sgt. Largent":92iram5v said:
Mindsink":92iram5v said:

I didn't say rings were everything. I said in subjective conversations like this where there are 3-4 QB's that are very close statistically.......rings are the deciding factor as to who the "greatest of all time is."

I love Brees, and I hate Brady. He's a phony. But statistically they're very close, only big difference is Brady has six rings, and Brees has one.

So not sure how anyone can make a case that Brees is the GOAT, unless he gets another couple rings before he retires. Then I'm all ears.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Maulbert":xzh2rzw9 said:
Brady isn't the GOAT. The GOAT is Belicheat. If they start losing once Brady retires, I'll be shocked.

How can you single out Belichick, but not Payton, Walsh, Dungy or any great coach that's helped his HOF caliber QB succeed.

To minimize Brady's insanely accomplished career to just being the QB for Belichick is pretty short sighted...........and if this is your opinion then it's easy to say without Sean Payton lobbying the Benson family to trade for and take a chance on Brees after a very serious shoulder injury, he doesn't have the career he's had.

IronSaint

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2pxx5gyz said:
Or the refs screw your team out of it. :x
Oof, yeah. That call definitely should've been made, but I was also a bit pissed with Payton's playcalling right before where we threw the ball before that play that also went incomplete so there were two instances where we stopped the clock on ourselves when we should've been running clock and at the minimum give them the ball back with no timeouts.

Then the defense lets them march right down the field with 1:41 left to tie it. Ugh.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1h3t2csp said:
Maulbert":1h3t2csp said:
Brady isn't the GOAT. The GOAT is Belicheat. If they start losing once Brady retires, I'll be shocked.

How can you single out Belichick, but not Payton, Walsh, Dungy or any great coach that's helped his HOF caliber QB succeed.

To minimize Brady's insanely accomplished career to just being the QB for Belichick is pretty short sighted...........and if this is your opinion then it's easy to say without Sean Payton lobbying the Benson family to trade for and take a chance on Brees after a very serious shoulder injury, he doesn't have the career he's had.
Because all those others had stretches where they sucked, except Walsh, who didn't coach as long, and the Patriots were still 11-5 with Matt Cassel at QB.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Maulbert":23tvcydc said:
Sgt. Largent":23tvcydc said:
Maulbert":23tvcydc said:

Because all those others had stretches where they sucked, except Walsh, who didn't coach as long, and the Patriots were still 11-5 with Matt Cassel at QB.

Six Rings
74,000 yards
538 TD's
63.4 career completion percentage
14 x Pro Bowl
3 x All Pro
3 x MVP

And you've diminished Brady's entire career to "hey Matt Cassel was 11-5." LOL, you guys crack me the hell up sometimes.

kf3339

Reaction score
This whole discussion of a GOAT quarterback based on the modern era of football stats is a joke. The game has changed so much that any stats of today are meaningless. How many yards, TD's, ints, ect. would a guy like Marino have in this day and rules. 8000 yards a season? 75 TD's a season as well? No one knows.

These modern era QB's would not have lasted if they played in the 70's or 80's and had far less stats to hang their hats on. That is just a fact.

There never will be a real NFL GOAT for the QB position because the NFL changed the game. It will never return to what made it great to begin with. Just accept it.

OP
OP
5_Golden_Rings

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
kf3339":3aj9lmn3 said:
This whole discussion of a GOAT quarterback based on the modern era of football stats is a joke. The game has changed so much that any stats of today are meaningless. How many yards, TD's, ints, ect. would a guy like Marino have in this day and rules. 8000 yards a season? 75 TD's a season as well? No one knows.

These modern era QB's would not have lasted if they played in the 70's or 80's and had far less stats to hang their hats on. That is just a fact.

There never will be a real NFL GOAT for the QB position because the NFL changed the game. It will never return to what made it great to begin with. Just accept it.
So you're saying we should compare QB stats to their peers?

Well, one and only one quarterback has had more than one 5,000 year season, and that guy has had FIVE. FIVE. Five times more often than the next best guy.

Same thing with completion percentage. Brees is so far ahead of his peers that it's almost a joke, and it's definitely a shame that he doesn't get credit for being so far ahead of them.

justafan

Reaction score
As long as we are talking GOAT. None of those guys played QB better that Walter Jones played LT or Bruce Smith played DE or Jerry Rice played WR IMO

lobohawk

Reaction score
These types of comparisons can be fun, but it’s a bit futile. The number of factors affecting a QBs performance is huge. Who’s your coach and OC. Who are are your teammates. What kind of competition. What era did you play in. Etc, etc.

It’s better to group QBs than seek the mythical GOAT.
For example, I could see these QBs replicating Brady’s success in New England. Brees, P. Manning, Rogers, Wilson, Rivers, Montana, Marino, Elway, Young (leaving out the younger ones for now).

Brady’s most notable stat for calling him GOAT is wins and SBs. Football is the most team oriented popular sport and yet there’s an overemphasis on using that metric to grade an individual. A QBs role is significant, but is far from being a singular reason for team success.