DT Malik McDowell expected to be released

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
bevellisthedevil":3xi2rg8x said:
NFSeahawks628":3xi2rg8x said:
AyyCuh u no who eye b!?

That sounds fantastic, when can you start?

Lmao, right?

It also begs to question how big of an outlier McDowell was to actually getting drafted last year. Pete and John make it seem like they missed on him simply because they reached way too far to get him in the first round last year.

So, perhaps stop reaching?

Oh and also no "Safe picks" I don't want another Curry.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Why is it a problem to pick a guy who has produced in the college game?

I really don't get that excited about a guy that can broad jump 15 feet but can't stay onsides.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":w3upac26 said:
KitsapGuy":w3upac26 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronQ13Fox/status/988525636732862465[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/988526361202507776[/tweet]

Ignore obvious signs that will limit a player from being his best? Sound logic there.

It's only worked for Frank Clark 1/3? 1/4?

Keep reaching.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
So he hasn't been released yet and likely won't be until the genuine prognosis for his recovery is completely understood. This could be well into TC and maybe not until next preseason. meanwhile the opportunity cost of keeping him is his pro-rated SB for the year.

Let us refrain from hyperbole and rock throwing at the FO for drafting this player until we know with certainty that his self-created non-football injury has ended his ability to play. However, if that is impossible then be prepared to chow down on some crow if he does play with a tolled rookie contract and plays well enough to justify the pick notwithstanding other team needs.

Some will indeed be dwelling on this subject in 2025. Thing is there has been a lot of logically flawed argument and hyperbole on both sides of the discussion of this situation which is unfortunate and has been regrettably very expensive in terms of draft capital for the team. We all need to know more.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I honestly don't care about red flags for being violent or committing petty crimes.

So conflating Clark with MM is ridiculous.

A red flag for violent behavior when you want a violent guy? Sure. Worst case you end up doing what SF did and getting a guy that gets you some bad ink, maybe loses you a draft pick (go look at what Charles Haley did, however). But if you can keep them out of the front page - you can get a player that may have slid because of those concerns. (A certain Bengals safety comes to mind).

SF took a hit for good LB and maybe Aldon Smith has run out of chances, but you also get guys like Ray Lewis due to those issues, so you take the risk.

Generally, though there is SOME risk in having those guys blow up on you, some of them work out for you. Frank Clark is a good example, because changing the background and circumstances can SOMETIMES change the options a player is faced with.

Lynch was a red flag for a number of reasons but it was NEVER his work ethic.

BUT guys with work ethic problems ? They rarely work out for you. So it is a STUPID red flag to take a chance on.

Great talent combined with low commitment isn't a recipe that gets you much. Hell, even Dion Jordan - who everyone is excited about, burned his first team badly.

Guys that take lots of plays off and show indifference (as pointed out earlier) are dumb risks.

The only stupider thing about this was the fact we wasted a pick on DT where we were less in need than backup safeties or starting OL. As pointed out, the Jags got a solid OL with the pick we gave them - so we could draft this clown. And Baker, an All Pro safety, was still on the board when we knew we needed someone to spell ET. (or knew we might not keep him!)

It was the absolute stupid move on the part of the FO, to reach on player with that much risk at a position we had less need than others. Positioning it any other way is ridiculous. Just as conflating guys with checkered backgrounds with guys that don't want to work is.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2b06evmr said:
We all need to know more.

I don't need to know more.

McDowell was like 99% of young men at the age of 20...............immature, selfish and in the case of a spoiled athlete? Bigtime ego and sense of entitlement.

So to try and tie his on the field red flags about his motor and effort into an immature stupid young male thing like riding an ATV the week before reporting to camp is complete and utter nonsense.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":jac6uako said:
People will still be dwelling on this in 2025. :roll:

In the year 2525....if McDowell is still alive....

[youtube]izQB2-Kmiic[/youtube]

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2j9xvrn3 said:
I honestly don't care about red flags for being violent or committing petty crimes.

So conflating Clark with MM is ridiculous.

A red flag for violent behavior when you want a violent guy? Sure. Worst case you end up doing what SF did and getting a guy that gets you some bad ink, maybe loses you a draft pick (go look at what Charles Haley did, however). But if you can keep them out of the front page - you can get a player that may have slid because of those concerns. (A certain Bengals safety comes to mind).

SF took a hit for good LB and maybe Aldon Smith has run out of chances, but you also get guys like Ray Lewis due to those issues, so you take the risk.

Generally, though there is SOME risk in having those guys blow up on you, some of them work out for you. Frank Clark is a good example, because changing the background and circumstances can SOMETIMES change the options a player is faced with.

Lynch was a red flag for a number of reasons but it was NEVER his work ethic.

BUT guys with work ethic problems ? They rarely work out for you. So it is a STUPID red flag to take a chance on.

Great talent combined with low commitment isn't a recipe that gets you much. Hell, even Dion Jordan - who everyone is excited about, burned his first team badly.

Guys that take lots of plays off and show indifference (as pointed out earlier) are dumb risks.

The only stupider thing about this was the fact we wasted a pick on DT where we were less in need than backup safeties or starting OL.

You don't use a first- or second-rounder on a backup safety.

And we were in need of other interior DL. Brandon Mebane was gone, Jarran Reed wasn't really lighting the world up in terms of pass rush, and Avril and Bennett was getting long in the tooth. DL is the second most important position on the team.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Contrary to what many of the posters here would have you believe, there are actually talented athletes WITH great character out there as well. I prefer those, and thankfully it appears Pete and John do as well.

/thread

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":31m21805 said:
Contrary to what many of the posters here would have you believe, there are actually talented athletes WITH great character out there as well. I prefer those, and thankfully it appears Pete and John do as well.

/thread

I wouldn't call immaturity bad character.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3bgmpolu said:
NFSeahawks628":3bgmpolu said:

/thread

Yelling at cops and telling them "Dumb azz n------" and "You'll be a broke bitch for the rest of your life." is awful character and a lack of parenting.

chris98251

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1b2ofj2i said:

/thread

You and Tim Ruskell should be room mates.

Give me a guy with a chip, some anger, some intensity and that won't take crap. Let him set the tine and the identity of our team. Choir boys are what we had from 1977 - 2009, yeah we won with Holmgren and it was a good time but we never had a Nasty defense that set the tone of a game and that you were in a war, with Mike it was a chess match trying to stop his offense and a hope we could use the prevent defense to not lose the game. Looked like we could have one till Rhodes left. Pity.

Really liked the feel we had 2011 and on, the hope we could have offense and defense be able to dictate the game however never really matured to our talent level, would be nice to see Pete put both together in his final run.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1dy4j57j said:
Sgt. Largent":1dy4j57j said:
NFSeahawks628":1dy4j57j said:

/thread

Yelling at cops and telling them "Dumb azz n------" and "You'll be a broke bitch for the rest of your life." is awful character and a lack of parenting.

I agree, but this happened in December, not before we drafted Malik.

People keep trying to tie red flag character flaws into some poor decision by Pete and John to draft him............and the only red flags on Malik were a couple bad interviews and his on the field motor and effort issues.

And it's no worse or better than other reaches we made that have paid off, most notably Clark and Irvin, who had WAY worse off the field issues than Malik.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2aqifqn3 said:

----
McDowell was like 99% of young men at the age of 20...............immature, selfish and in the case of a spoiled athlete? Bigtime ego and sense of entitlement.

So to try and tie his on the field red flags about his motor and effort into an immature stupid young male thing like riding an ATV the week before reporting to camp is complete and utter nonsense.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

Otherwise known as the fallacy of affirming the consequent.

But Hey, you can believe whatever you want.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3rtlet2w said:
NFSeahawks628":3rtlet2w said:
Sgt. Largent":3rtlet2w said:
NFSeahawks628":3rtlet2w said:

/thread

I agree, but this happened in December, not before we drafted Malik.

People keep trying to tie red flag character flaws into some poor decision by Pete and John to draft him............and the only red flags on Malik were a couple bad interviews and his on the field motor and effort issues.

And it's no worse or better than other reaches we made that have paid off, most notably Clark and Irvin, who had WAY worse off the field issues than Malik.

That arrest video is our insight to the serious character flaws other team scouts and excecs around the NFL saw at the combine. Pete and John had their chance to investigate what so many others saw also. I see no reason to give them a pass on making this piss poor draft pick. Especially given the other excellent players that were available at the time still.

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":10mk8krf said:
NFSeahawks628":10mk8krf said:

/thread

You and Tim Ruskell should be room mates.

Give me a guy with a chip, some anger, some intensity and that won't take crap. Let him set the tine and the identity of our team. Choir boys are what we had from 1977 - 2009, yeah we won with Holmgren and it was a good time but we never had a Nasty defense that set the tone of a game and that you were in a war, with Mike it was a chess match trying to stop his offense and a hope we could use the prevent defense to not lose the game. Looked like we could have one till Rhodes left. Pity.

Really liked the feel we had 2011 and on, the hope we could have offense and defense be able to dictate the game however never really matured to our talent level, would be nice to see Pete put both together in his final run.

Yes. More "choir boys" like Cortez Kennedy, Steve Largent, Walter Jones. Steve Hutchinson please. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.