Duane Brown Back to Practice for Seahawks

AgentDib

Reaction score
seabowl":1057u7zt said:
Sgt. Largent":1057u7zt said:
They're fantastic at massaging tough contract and unhappy player situations with total transparency and empathy, and I think the players respond to that (for the most part).
JS and PC are good but these players came back so they don't lose a game check and not because of anything the team did.
Don't minimize the role of the front office in these situations. How a player feels about the team is a critical factor. Duane Brown was in this same situation with the Texans and sat out all the way until week 7 when we traded for him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seabowl":t6iovnys said:
Sgt. Largent":t6iovnys said:
This is what makes John and Pete and their FO staff one of the best in the league.

They're fantastic at massaging tough contract and unhappy player situations with total transparency and empathy, and I think the players respond to that (for the most part).

I'm sure they've told both Brown and Diggs that they want them past 2021, and probably are going to tweak both their contracts for 2021 to give some incentive/performance based bonuses that will smooth things over until the extension talks are back on mid season or next off season.

JS and PC are good but these players came back so they don't lose a game check and not because of anything the team did.

It's both.

In fact it was just announced that the Hawks are converting all of Brown's bonus incentive money to guaranteed this year. That's over 1M.

Again, this is what well run franchises do. If you're minimizing that impact? Then you're not paying attention to the rest of the league, because this is not the norm, and why the Hawk's are viewed as a handful of the best ran organizations and helps get and keep players.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
seabowl":2in505z3 said:
He really accomplished a lot with causing the drama. Let him play out the year and walk after that. Diggs came back too and I would look to move him. No more with the bullshit malcontents.

What a good approach that totally works often in the NFL! *fart noise*

Jville

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2a4nd1qv said:
seabowl":2a4nd1qv said:
Sgt. Largent":2a4nd1qv said:
This is what makes John and Pete and their FO staff one of the best in the league.

I'm sure they've told both Brown and Diggs that they want them past 2021, and probably are going to tweak both their contracts for 2021 to give some incentive/performance based bonuses that will smooth things over until the extension talks are back on mid season or next off season.

It's both.

In fact it was just announced that the Hawks are converting all of Brown's bonus incentive money to guaranteed this year. That's over 1M.

Again, this is what well run franchises do. If you're minimizing that impact? Then you're not paying attention to the rest of the league, because this is not the norm, and why the Hawk's are viewed as a handful of the best ran organizations and helps get and keep players.

It's also worth noting that the media takes a story and shapes and pumps up issues for their purposes. They are fascinated with controversy including the subject of who has leverage. The Seahawks organization doesn't think that way. Carroll made the remark years ago that "Seattle isn't a prison". To be in Seattle and play for the Seahawks ya have to really really want to.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":33krbmir said:
seabowl":33krbmir said:
He really accomplished a lot with causing the drama. Let him play out the year and walk after that. Diggs came back too and I would look to move him. No more with the $h!t malcontents.

Just got him 1M of converted roster/incentive bonus to guaranteed, so yeah I'd say it worked.

I bet we hear something similar with Diggs this week.

John63

Reaction score
godawg":ofsfcl0d said:
And there were folks that said we should trade the malcontent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that's because there are those who see the players as disposable, and could care less about them.

harryjohnson

Reaction score
seabowl":3pwk13vm said:
He really accomplished a lot with causing the drama. Let him play out the year and walk after that. Diggs came back too and I would look to move him. No more with the $h!t malcontents.

Word is they reworked his contract. So he got what he wanted.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Guarenteeign him more money makes a lot of sense. I think it's a win win and there is no hold out, Duane get's some security and Russ get's his pro bowl LT protecting him. Shows the rest of the team, just because you hold out you don't get new years added, but that we will be reasonable and do what it right for the players and the team.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3jhj3kyx said:
Maelstrom787":3jhj3kyx said:
seabowl":3jhj3kyx said:

Just got him 1M of converted roster/incentive bonus to guaranteed, so yeah I'd say it worked.

I was making fun of the suggested approach of punishing "shit malcontents." What Pete and John did certainly did work, and it was the right thing to do.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2fmpsr2t said:
Sgt. Largent":2fmpsr2t said:
Maelstrom787":2fmpsr2t said:
seabowl":2fmpsr2t said:

I was making fun of the suggested approach of punishing "$h!t malcontents." What Pete and John did certainly did work, and it was the right thing to do.

Gotcha.

I'm obviously a Hawk's fan first, but I've never faulted a player for holding in or trying to leverage for more money or an extension. It's irritating, we all wish players would just play, but I can never blame someone for trying to make more money, especially in a profession with as limited of a time frame to earn the most money possible as pro athletes.

Jville

Reaction score
If I recall correctly .................. Quandre Diggs mentioned contract insurance as something that was being addressed for his situation during his last press conference ....... available at seahawks.com

kf3339

Reaction score
I think a lot of us figured Brown would not miss games. The guaranteed money added instead of bonus money was a fair compromise.

No extra years added was the right decision for now. Let's see how he plays this season.

Diggs just wanted an insurance guarantee, so that is probably what happened with him.

I'm glad both are back and ready to go!

sc85sis

Reaction score
I was never worried about Duane because Pete and John didn't seem too worried by it. That told me that the lines of communication were open. Also, Duane wasn't making any negative comments, and he was going about his business in terms of attending walk-throughs and meetings.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1435275957028466698[/tweet]

............. so a 2022 voidable year presumably moves half of the reworked $7M signing bonus into 2022. Freeing up $3.5M for increased cap space in 2021.

Could there be another contract adjustment in the works?