Duane Brown or Terron Armstead?

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Both are currently free agents. Duane Brown turns 37 this year. In 2021 he had 5 penalties while allowing 8 sacks. Terron Armstead turns 31 this year, had 3 penalties and allowed only 1 sack for the 2021 season. Would it be wise to invest another year or two into an aging vet who knows our system, is a team leader, and may still have gas left in the tank? Or should they go after the younger option who has performed better and could be a cornerstone for the foreseeable future?

seabowl

Reaction score
Armstead even with his injuries. Brown was kind of a jerk last year with his demands and with Armstead 6 years younger to me it's a big deal.

Wolfiegrrl

Reaction score
After all the moving and shaking, I don't know that Brown would want to be back. He's looking for his last contract before retirement and wants that chance at a ring. We may see him defect to the Rams. When the Texans traded him to Seattle, he wanted to be on the west coast because his wife works in LA.

I say go after Armstead. But bring in some fresh legs. Draft a few OTs and see what shakes out in Training Camp.

sutz

Reaction score
After all the moving and shaking, I don't know that Brown would want to be back. He's looking for his last contract before retirement and wants that chance at a ring. We may see him defect to the Rams. When the Texans traded him to Seattle, he wanted to be on the west coast because his wife works in LA.

I say go after Armstead. But bring in some fresh legs. Draft a few OTs and see what shakes out in Training Camp.
That's probably the better option. (y)

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Agree on draft. With eight picks I think we should target an OT (maybe even 2!), but also pick another good O Lineman who shows versatility to play other positions on the line. I also think it wouldn't hurt to draft a solid center prospect. After all, center is the QB of the O Line.

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score
Both are currently free agents. Duane Brown turns 37 this year. In 2021 he had 5 penalties while allowing 8 sacks. Terron Armstead turns 31 this year, had 3 penalties and allowed only 1 sack for the 2021 season. Would it be wise to invest another year or two into an aging vet who knows our system, is a team leader, and may still have gas left in the tank? Or should they go after the younger option who has performed better and could be a cornerstone for the foreseeable future?
Our line philosophy will change this year, so Brown have knowledge isn’t that much of a benefit.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Brown is the better bet for a single additional year.

Armstead's health issues are pretty much disqualifying for me.

At this point, I'm fine with simply going to camp with Stone and a rookie like Abe Lucas or Rasheed Walker. Seeing what happens.

That, or Cross falls, and we have a potential franchise tackle.

Jville

Reaction score
There is leage interest in Duane Brown ...............

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The team will not get either, and Duane Brown may not even sign. This needed to get done sooner.

EDIT: I can't read as I thought the OP was about Armstead and Trent Brown. Still think the team may not get either if the team isn't careful.

Last edited:

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I suspect if the FO doesn't resign Brown it is because they see acceptable quality available on the shelf or in the draft.
I've always valued Brown as one of our better acquisitions and always hate to see our established players go elsewhere. But at some point you just have to accept that turnover is inevitable. Given our QB situation I would think the staff would understand the importance of solidifying our line.