Duane Brown: Seahawks showing they are built to run the ball

adeltaY

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1qrnpdcw said:
Come on people. We were averaging more than 3 ypc for most of the game. We were mainly in control. The obsession over stats and not game film has to stop

4.0 YPC is typically seen as acceptable. Below that is not good and our guys know it.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Offense looked good first half, turtled like crazy in the second half. We're lucky the defense kept playing well cause the offense really didn't do anything. Biggest play was Carson willing the team to a first on that 3rd down and long run, would have been another 3 and out. Stats got brought down by the run run pass model when they knew it was coming, really wish they stayed aggressive.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
To the OP: Ok, very slowly lift your face out of the damn stat book and look at the product on the field.

The running game set up the passing game. We were able to slow down the pass rush, control the tempo of the game, force the defenders to play closer to the line, and respect play-action, all of which resulted in opportunities over the top of the defense.

As a result we won the football game.

If you have a problem with the yards per carry, that is your own personal problem. The rest of us are enjoying a well-earned earned victory.

djb28

Reaction score
Ask him again next week after they face the Rams line.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Hawksfan78":327pi1u0 said:
Ok, how about this for trying to stay optimistic. The 3 teams we have played so far rank 2, 4, and 10th in rushing defense. That’s got to count for something right?

Helps your rankings when you play the hawks. :)

adeltaY

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":bqm7oz7i said:
To the OP: Ok, very slowly lift your face out of the damn stat book and look at the product on the field.

The running game set up the passing game. We were able to slow down the pass rush, control the tempo of the game, force the defenders to play closer to the line, and respect play-action, all of which resulted in opportunities over the top of the defense.

If you have a problem with the yards per carry, that is your own personal problem. The rest of us are enjoying a well-earned earned victory.

Look at what the Rams did yesterday. They used play action at a high rate to massive success and barely ran the ball.

Establishing the run is a trope. There's no evidence running early increases run success rate later in the game. Look at the Hawks game. We were going three and out running the ball in the fourth except for one fantastic run by Carson on third and 12. If our pass defense wasn't fantastic, Dallas would've had a great shot to get back in the game

If you're going to be a run first team, at least run successfully.

Torc

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure "built to run" is a euphemism for "we pass block like the turnstiles at grand central station". :)

I don't think you can look at last years total rushing numbers as a comparison to this year, given that the QB was the leading rusher. That means a significant portion of that YPC was on broken pass plays.

If you look at the RB numbers last year, the YPC was 3.30. This year so far, it's 3.38 for just the RBs. On the other hand, our leading rusher is a RB and Russell only has 21 rushing yards so far. Our leading rusher (Carson) has a 3.9 YPC average.

I'd call that a small improvement and hope for more.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":1ipilkvp said:
KiwiHawk":1ipilkvp said:

Look at what the Rams did yesterday. They used play action at a high rate to massive success and barely ran the ball.

Establishing the run is a trope. There's no evidence running early increases run success rate later in the game. Look at the Hawks game. We were going three and out running the ball in the fourth except for one fantastic run by Carson on third and 12. If our pass defense wasn't fantastic, Dallas would've had a great shot to get back in the game

What the Rams did is irrelevant. We're not the Rams.

Look at what the Seahawks did in weeks 1 and 2. Bailed on the running game, so the opposing defense put massive pressure on the passing game and the offense choked.

When WE stick to the run, we do better. I don't care what the Rams do.

adeltaY

Reaction score
The Rams are an example of a successful offense that maximizes the abilities of its players. Saying that is irrelevant is myopic in my view. The league is moving a certain way and they are blazing that trail.

Instead of pounding on an antiquated philosophy that worked when we had a historically great defense and generational runner, we should be innovating.

Pete ball worked against the Boyz because our pass defense locked them down. It will probably work against AZ. Do you see it working against the Rams, Chiefs, Vikings, Packers, or Chargers?

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Seymour":1o70472h said:
I seriously hope Brown is nowhere near satisfied with 2.9 yards per rush average we had against Dallas. Nothing to laugh about for damn sure.... (unless you are our opponent). :?:

That will only work against inept offenses. :|
Man, I'm just a Seahawk fan but you continually find the negative.
In victory you seek it out and always find it.
One can find many negatives in winning a lotto, if that is their wish.

toffee

Reaction score
adeltaY":3p677g3u said:
KiwiHawk":3p677g3u said:

You are right, other than that one 12 yards run, our running in the 4th quarter was terrible.

Seafan

Reaction score
Better run blocking enables better running which takes pressure off of Russ. Russ was the running game last year. He doesn't have to be this year. That is huge. Defenses know how to attack Russ. We saw it last year. With a credible running game it won't be as easy to attack him with impunity. Baby steps to improve the offense. Improve the offense you also improve the defense. Improving the running game should improve TOP and field position. Improved running game should also lead to better 3rd down efficiency. I don't think we've seen the best this offense has. It's improving and adding ADB back into the mix should help a lot, both run and pass.

adeltaY

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":2n4du42l said:
Seymour":2n4du42l said:
I seriously hope Brown is nowhere near satisfied with 2.9 yards per rush average we had against Dallas. Nothing to laugh about for damn sure.... (unless you are our opponent). :?:

Seymour isn't unnecessarily negative, he's making a well reasoned point.

toffee

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":1qna8kx9 said:
Seymour":1qna8kx9 said:

It didn’t bother you to see our OL created little push and our backs were sacrificing their health/career for those 3yards?

As a 12, I am concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scutterhawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":3d9ozf60 said:
Scorpion05":3d9ozf60 said:
Come on people. We were averaging more than 3 ypc for most of the game. We were mainly in control. The obsession over stats and not game film has to stop

4.0 YPC is typically seen as acceptable. Below that is not good and our guys know it.
What I do know, is that it's still the beginning phase of the season, and FOR THIS O-LINE, 3+ yards is a damned good starting point, as it got us a win, and some POSITIVES to hang their helmets on.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
toffee":33p65hyp said:
LudwigsDrummer":33p65hyp said:
Seymour":33p65hyp said:

It didn’t bother you to see our OL created little push and our backs were sacrificing their health/career for those 3yards?

As a 12, I am concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOL, More negative crappola.

sutz

Reaction score
Sorry, but no, I'm not worried about the YPC average after 3 games. IMNSHO, it will improve as they run more. YMMV, but this whole "They suck and they'll never get better" attitude is kind of inane. We've been facing some pretty strong defenses so far, which deflates the numbers somewhat. Not every team in the league has a #1 defensive line.

I do not for a minute think that Pete and Schotty are "happy" with 3 YPC. They are "happy" that we ran a lot and got positive yardage on the majority of the plays. And, I'm sure they are working on that even as we bang away on our keyboards. Well, not right now because they're traveling, but I doubt they are silent on the plane, either.

Even at 3YPC, 2d and 7 or 3rd and 4 are a lot easier to convert than 2d and 12, or 3rd and 9. Oh, and 4th Qtr with a lead is about 60% about the clock, and padding stats in the running game matters a bit less.

Sorry if your fantasy scores are hurt by this, but :229031_shrug: .

scutterhawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":6ag3w12l said:
LudwigsDrummer":6ag3w12l said:
Seymour":6ag3w12l said:

Seymour isn't unnecessarily negative, he's making a well reasoned point.
Yeah, misery loves company, and GOD FORBID that some fans want to accentuate some 'feel good' positives, eh?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Actually there was an article quoting Baldwin where he pointed out that McGough (spelling?) and one of the other players were tasked with reading and interpreting the signals on the Cowboy defense.

Apparently they were able to decipher it and were teeing up the offense as to the defensive calls.

IF that was the case, and we were only able to get the #s we got against the Cowboys - who still kept the game close in spite of their offense's miscues - that is a very bad sign for our offense. (Unless we can count on stealing defensive signals and calls every game?)

So Adelta has a point, our offense needs improvement. But since I really don't consider us a contender, or even a top echelon team, I don't know that expecting our team to implement new but successful tactics makes sense. Our team likes what it likes, what it is comfortable with and it is happy to firmly sit in the middle now.

We are or should be what a 7-9 team looks like, coaches like, and produces. The numbers bear it out and so does the eye test.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Makes sense for the present twisted, but are you comfortable with that going into the future? We are right in Wilson's prime and will probably have to pay him massive dollars to keep him. Is that going to be feasible if we insist on running this type of offense.

I also firmly believe this team can compete and show the fans something exciting but it's frustrating to watch this stagnant offensive scheme hold us back. There are major talent deficiencies, but with the defense playing way over its head I don't see why the offense can't.