DVR review Seahawks vs. Broncos

themunn

Reaction score
kearly":1porvsrk said:
themunn":1porvsrk said:
kearly":1porvsrk said:
If Turbin had the resilience of our other three runners, he'd be our best RB. Instead, resilience is his biggest weakness and I think that makes him a player you only want to see in non-rushing situations where he can rack up cheap yardage (3rd and long draws, etc). I agree that Ware looks the part of a Seahawks starting RB. Sure, he's playing against scrubs, but it's not easy to average 6.0 yards per carry when your longest rush attempt is just 20 yards. One of the things that makes Lynch great is how he is not only productive, but consistent. Ware and Michael have that consistency too. Turbin doesn't. Which is a shame, because Turbin is really talented.

It is when you only carry the ball 9 times.
On his other 8 carries he had 34 yards.
Turbin had 35 on 9 carries - against the ones.

I was more impressed by Turbo, to be honest
His 9 runs went for: 1, 7, 5, 8, 6, 5, 1, 3, -1

Ware went for 1, 0, 1, 8, 13, 2, 9, 0, 20

4 big runs and 5 nothing runs compared to 6 consistent runs from Turbin. Yes, Turbin had bigger holes to run through, but getting to those holes isn't always easy.

Even when you take away Ware's biggest run, his numbers were still better. I am not ripping Turbin, but if Turbin has value it's for his speed and big play ability. At Utah State, he put up very nice stats thanks to the big play. But in Seattle, he seems to have had trouble ripping off those 20+ yard runs, even though he's got the speed to go to the house on every snap. Turbin has a ton of talent, but runs like his shoelaces are untied. It's actually almost laughable how easy he goes down sometimes. Even Julius Jones could spin move out of tackles.

Also, I thought the starting line did a better job run blocking than the second group did in this game, unlike the Chargers game. I think Ware would do pretty well with the starters. He seems to fit Cable's system like a glove, though like Scott said, he might need some practice to master the timing.

His numbers were better, true, but once again it was against scrubs. And furthermore, Turbin was just coming back from a long injury layoff.
Even then, he still had 5 runs out of 9 that went for a combined 4 yards, consistency in the run game is key, and I'd rather Turbin taking chunks of 4 or 5 yards than Ware taking either 0 or 10.

Having watched all 9 of Turbin's runs again, I think it's unfair the suggestion that he goes down easy, yes he was caught by the shoelaces once (his 8th run to the outside), but the rest of them just happened to be him getting caught by a savvy defender who managed to cling on - and that was after 5-6 yards.

bellingerga

Reaction score
General Manager":1kys8dvw said:
Thanks for the addendum , Wilson also played very well imo not great but good. He overcame two holding calls and a false start on his first drive that resulted in the TD pass to Kearse .

I love how a 140.0 + QB rating is "not great". A couple years ago we'd have been begging for QB play like that.

:179417:

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
It is interesting what different perspectives can bring. While many here are discussing which of our backup RBs is best suited for the #2, some Denver Sports Radio jocks were discussing potentially picking up whichever RB Seattle has to cut to be their starter in lieu of Hillman, Ball, Ball, or Moreno.

They apparently weren't as impressed with their run game (conversely our run defense) as some here were.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Turbin was down on first contact pretty much every time, though he did have a couple nice plays where he pushed the pile. This is not a new problem for Turbin, and it's really holding back his production, IMO. It's a damn shame because there really are some elite traits in the guy.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Kip & Scott, you make simple dudes like me feel smarter just for reading your stuff. Thanks and keep it up!

Re: our offensive backfield... it feels like it's getting as deep and talented as our DB's. Not to count our chickens, but our FO seems to be doing well at gathering tough runners of a certain type, eh?

McGruff

Reaction score
Looking back at the replays, a couple of players really stood out this game.

The two obvious ones were Kearse and Browner. The stat line bears that out, but Kearse's route on the TD and Browner's strips were as good of plays as you are going to see on a football field this year. Little things executd to perfection. And both played excellent games beyond that. Kearse has been an illumination. Will be interesting to see where he takes it.

But the unheralded player who I though played himself into a starting role, and hasn't been mentioned here or much elsewhere was Obrien Schofield. Like Bennett last week he doesn't show up on the stat sheet much, but made a lot of impact plays pressuring the QB and altering the play. And he did it as a starter against the ones. Keep an eye on 93.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
McGruff":1bmjlywf said:
But the unheralded player who I though played himself into a starting role, and hasn't been mentioned here or much elsewhere was Obrien Schofield. Like Bennett last week he doesn't show up on the stat sheet much, but made a lot of impact plays pressuring the QB and altering the play. And he did it as a starter against the ones. Keep an eye on 93.

He stood out to myself as well. He puts on consistent pressure and sets a good edge. I think he was good pickup. He is impressing me so far in camp

dunceface

Reaction score
One thing I noticed while rewatching this game (again) was how many times ETIII came flying into the box from centerfield to stop the play for a small/no gain and then the announcers would credit the other guy assisting with the tackle...even when it was pretty obvious that Earl had the majority of the impact on the tackle
Other people have mentioned that missed tackle on Welker but I saw at least 4 other plays (in one half) where he did the same thing and actually made the tackle. 80% success rate on those type of plays from our FREE SAFETY is fine with me!

themunn

Reaction score
kearly":3havj85l said:
Turbin was down on first contact pretty much every time, though he did have a couple nice plays where he pushed the pile. This is not a new problem for Turbin, and it's really holding back his production, IMO. It's a damn shame because there really are some elite traits in the guy.

One thing that stood out to me though against Turbin is that his running style is just as physical as Lynch's though, but in a different way.
Lynch will run through a defender, using jukes, sidesteps and his powerful lower body to keep moving., Turbin will run over them. The number of times he just blasts into the defender is insane really. In a preseason game with 9 carries, that's not going to amount to much, but if he's doing that for an entire game, eventually it will wear the defense out even moreso that Lynch's style. It seems he doesn't have any sort of lateral speed, so he just goes one on one with whoever is in front of him and sees who'll win. At the start of the game it's going to be the defense. At the end??

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
dunceface":2ioocgt2 said:
One thing I noticed while rewatching this game (again) was how many times ETIII came flying into the box from centerfield to stop the play for a small/no gain and then the announcers would credit the other guy assisting with the tackle...even when it was pretty obvious that Earl had the majority of the impact on the tackle
Other people have mentioned that missed tackle on Welker but I saw at least 4 other plays (in one half) where he did the same thing and actually made the tackle. 80% success rate on those type of plays from our FREE SAFETY is fine with me!

Earl is absolutely fearless for a "little dude".

jlwaters1

Reaction score
kearly":pcxwilb1 said:

I saw 2 carries that resulted in a the first tackler taking him down. Both of which were a defender got his foot. There was a number strong carries right up the middle were he stuck his nose down and bulled forward for a few extra yards.

I thought Turbin looked great- especially when you consider he was coming off of injury and this was his first extensive week of practice.

If you were to compare his effort tonight against Christine Michael's I'd say Turbin's was more impressive. Michael was invisible against good competition and finally showed his skills against the #3's. Turbin is extremely undervalued on here. He has a good burst and is a physical runner. I really hope Christine Michael is ready to go Friday. I'd like to see Turbin, Michael and Ware all run the ball against GB.

cacksman

Reaction score
I disagree that Blackmon will be available next year. I would bet a lot of money that if we release him, he makes another team's 53.

dunceface

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3jn3c44w said:
dunceface":3jn3c44w said:

Earl is absolutely fearless for a "little dude".

Well ya can't spell 'fearless' without EARL!

Sorry couldn't help it :dummy:

Subzero717

Reaction score
I have rewatched and Wilsons overthrows are over blown. Of the three I saw two were from slowing/hesitation by not stsrting recievers and an obvious hold not called.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
themunn":ftwrhtzt said:
At the start of the game it's going to be the defense. At the end??

That's a fair point, Turbin hasn't really had the benefit of a 25 carry game. Though I kind of think Lynch would wear out a defense faster. Lynch is a pain to bring down and is more elusive than most people realize. Turbin is the easiest guy to tackle on our team. If I am a 320 pound DT, I want the speedy 220 RB to run right at me.

jlwaters1":ftwrhtzt said:
I saw 2 carries that resulted in a the first tackler taking him down. Both of which were a defender got his foot. There was a number strong carries right up the middle were he stuck his nose down and bulled forward for a few extra yards.

I thought Turbin looked great- especially when you consider he was coming off of injury and this was his first extensive week of practice.

If you were to compare his effort tonight against Christine Michael's I'd say Turbin's was more impressive. Michael was invisible against good competition and finally showed his skills against the #3's. Turbin is extremely undervalued on here. He has a good burst and is a physical runner. I really hope Christine Michael is ready to go Friday. I'd like to see Turbin, Michael and Ware all run the ball against GB.

I thought Turbin looked good when I saw the game live. He's explosive, fast, and decisive. He can push the pile. He had one very nice rush for 5 yards where he got skinny and then churned his legs for an extra 2-3 yards. I don't recall a single broken tackle or missed tackle though. His elusiveness and resilience just isn't there.

I am also alarmed that in all the reps we've seen him in since last season, what's his career long? Turns out it's only 26 yards. And that's over 126 total carries (including preseason). The guy has the speed to break long TD runs, and he did that regularly at Utah State. We haven't been seeing those big plays in the NFL. I think the reason is, he's running to contact too much while simultaneously having very poor elusiveness, balance, and resilience. In the WAC he could just outrun crummy defenders for big gains, but in the NFL it takes a move here, a broken tackle there. So it kind of feels like the one thing that could separate Turbin from the rest is a gift he'll never capitalize on because he has so much trouble getting past the 2nd level of a defense, even with his speed.

Michael had jack shit for blocking in the first half of the Chargers game, but did a great job maximizing what was there, turning TFL situations into no-gains and no-gains into short gains. The blocking was far better in the 2nd half and that was when he finally looked like the guy Seattle drafted. We had Unger back in the 2nd game and it made an incredible difference for the starting line, especially with the interior run blocking.

But yeah, we all see different things. Sometimes I see something and am convinced, then I go back a third time and have doubts. I have been frustrated by Turbin's lack of resilience for quite a while now, though. He did not have a problem with ankle tackles at Utah State, but sometimes when you go up a level, new problems appear out of nowhere.

McGruff":ftwrhtzt said:

I mentioned Schofield in the random thoughts version. He had several impact plays. Most of them came after Denver's starting line left, and none of them were overly dominant, but it was a good performance. I think with Schofield, we have a solid backup pass rusher who is more of a LEO than Irvin was. I think he'll be more of a contributor than a star, but during the early weeks of the season while we are without Clemons (if he's not ready yet) and Irvin, we'll definitely be better off for having Schofield.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Happypuppy":1tlgxg84 said:
A pretty good review of the game by Joe Bussell of NFL Philosophy. He seems to misread a players number and thinks Clemons is in the game. Seems to have a lot of respect for the Hawks. Nothing earth shattering, but a good review by some one not aligned with either team

http://nflphilosophy.com/nfl-preseason- ... -seahawks/

Really good stuff. Insightful and smart.

It mentions Clemons as a "notable DNP (did not play)" at the top, but then refers to a "Clemons" at DE on Denver's defense. There hasn't been a DE named Clemons on Denver's defense since 2009.

When I watch OL, I usually watch in sections to save time. So RG+RT, RG+C+LG, LG+LT. So my method might not be perfect, but I thought our entire interior played very well. McQuistan in particular made several terrific combo blocks with Unger- they have excellent chemistry together. Sweezy seemed more natural than before. It is possible I missed something, but every time I noticed McQuistan it was because he did something good.

That was my only disagreement. He seemed to really like KJ Wright, though he didn't name him personally. I'll have to make a special effort to track Wright next time.