DVR study: 2nd quarter

kearly

Reaction score
After Wilson's only completion in his first nine attempts (to Lynch uncovered for 35 yards), the next 1st and 10 featured a decent lead block by Coleman, where he blocked the guy he was supposed to and didn't fly backwards. Even when Coleman gives a decent block, he has almost zero ability to stick to it for even a second. He seems to always end up on the ground while his assignment is disabled for only a moment. The play was wiped out by a Seattle penalty.

Robert Turbin ran very well in this game. The guy has poor balance, but anyone that thinks he lacks lower body strength should watch this game closely. He was pushing piles and twisting for extra yardage after contact. This game was probably the closest I've seen him to being another Lynch/Ware type runner, in the sense that he relied on strength to get extra yardage.

Wilson apparently forgets that Okung isn't in the game to stop Smith anymore. He rolls right, holds the ball for a decent amount of time (the receivers appear to be running deep routes), and is nailed in the back by Smith who is barely touched by McQuistan. McQuistan's technically the one at fault, but the coaching staff should never have trusted him to win that matchup in the first place. Aldon Smith racked up roughly 20 sacks last season against guys like Paul McQuistan.

This sack pushed Seattle out of comfortable field goal range and took points off the board for Seattle. I usually don't take issues with playcalling, but sending all the receivers deep on 3rd down when in fringe field goal range and Paul McQuistan is 1 on 1 with Aldon Smith? An alarm should have gone off in Bevell's head before he called that play.

It's 2 games in and I'm calling it- Red Bryant is having a career year. What is it with under-achievers on big contracts in Seattle? Rice, Miller, Bryant, right when you are sure they will be cut for money reasons they step up their games. It's 1st and 10 on the 49ers series that results in a safety. The playcall is a run, and the 49ers lose 2.5 yards after Bryant barrells through the 49ers OL like it's not even there. Bryant looked explosive on this play. Several other Seahawks DL got penetration on this play, but the way Bryant got into the backfield deserves an exclamation point next to it.

Red Bryant nearly sacks Kaepernick on the play that drew the holding for a safety (Malcolm Smith earned the hold). Interesting note- KJ Wright was at MLB on this play while Wagner was at WILL. Wagner covered a tight end in man coverage (something he's very good at) and Wright spied Kaepernick, forcing an incompletion.

1st play after safety, Coleman has a his best lead block of the game so far: he hits his assignment, he doesn't bounce off or go to the ground, and he sticks to the block. However, the defender isn't moved out of the hole, in fact he he isn't moved even a little. Coleman just doesn't have any power.

On the same play, James Carpenter dives for a linebacker's legs and would have made a nice second level block if not for good awareness from the defender. Carpenter still isn't a great 2nd level blocker, but he looked way better at it in this game than he did in any game previous. He is moving faster than before.

On the next play, Carpenter manhandles Justin Smith. Maybe that's an exaggeration, but Carp clearly controlled Smith and cleared a big running lane. Lynch didn't even need to take it, as there was another big lane on the other side. Sweezy had a very strong block on DT Ray McDonald, stuck to it, and by the end had McDonald on his back. Sweezy is just naturally nasty. Sweezy may not show the emotion that Giacomini does, but the effort and intensity is every bit the same. Lynch rides Sweezy's block and powers ahead for 8 yards.

Before failing on 4th and 1 and turning the ball over on downs (a decision I 100% agreed with), Seattle attempted to run for the first on 3rd and 1 with Coleman lead blocking. It wasn't an easy situation, but Coleman failed miserably and went to the ground without accomplishing anything. Lynch was tackled shortly after for no gain.

Of course, the 49ers were offside on that 4th down play. Having that compounded with the frustration of the whistle-blocked-punt earlier in a shouldn't-have-been 2-0 game, Pete looked PISSED.

Bennett is back at LEO. The D-line is Bennett-D. Smith-McDonald-Bryant.

On 3rd and 10, Avril gets strip sack. Good read by Avril to double back around, but this was a mistake by Kaepernick. He did not know where Avril was.

Maybe you've seen that GIF where Red Bryant trucks Mike Iupati? On the very next play, Justin Smith does the exact same thing to Max Unger. If anything it was even more emphatic. Wilson runs for his life, slides feet first, and should have gotten an unnecessary roughness call when Navarro Bowman hits him.

On the very next play, Wilson takes a shot from Ahmad Brooks on the read option play where Lynch runs for a huge gain. This hit occurred several "beats" after the handoff and I think should have been penalized, but just the same, Wilson now knows he isn't safe after the handoff, at least for a second or so. The next time it happens, he will see it coming and partially dodge it. Regardless, Wilson leaps up after the hit like nothing happened. His ability to take a huge hit, even a huge cheap shot without showing any signs of damage is incredible.

This next play is probably the most remarkable in the game for me. James Carpenter, who for all his past faults, is usually a brick wall against power rushers, gets smoked by a power rush from Ian Williams. Williams drives Carpenter back instantly and puts him on his back, and very nearly sacks Wilson. Wilson unloads the ball just in time and just misses a touchdown to Zach Miller. Ian Williams didn't know it at that moment, but he was playing on a broken ankle.

I was wrong about Wilson's accuracy recovering. It did not turn around after that weather delay. It turned around during the Seahawks final drive before halftime.

McDaniel enters the game again after not playing for nearly a full quarter. To this point in the game D'Anthony Smith saw more than twice as many snaps- I think the Seahawks wanted to get as good a look as possible at Smith before Hill and Clemons return in the near future.

Bennett swims past Joe Staley, dives for Frank Gores feet, and figuratively bites his ankles. TFL.

KJ Wright shadows Frank Gore down the sideline, doesn't look for the ball, but senses a pass is coming and holds his arm out. The ball hits Wright in the elbow, incomplete. Not the most impressive pass defense, but it got the job done. Given Wright's lack of speed, he probably made the right choice to not turn and look. Even committing to Gore step for step, he barely maintained his coverage. Kaepernick made mostly good decisions during the game but this was not one of them. Had he just kept the ball and ran for the sideline, he very likely gets the 1st down. Punt.

Lynch jukes a crashing down Aldon Smith out of his shoes, but only picks up a couple on the ensuing run. Aldon Smith was unblocked by design, but Lynch was forced into Smith's direction by Glenn Dorsey, who penetrated further upfield than Unger should have allowed for. Dorsey's presence redirected Lynch and forced him to juke Smith, which is a real shame because Sweezy and Giacomini had totally cleared out the middle of the field. There was a huge hole there and Lynch just missed a chance to hit it.

Max Unger had some solid run blocks at times, but he looked mostly terrible in this game. I wonder if he's got a nagging injury we don't know about. Pretty much every DT that the 49ers put on Unger gave him trouble this game.

Eric Reid lays into Sidney Rice. Rice pops up off the turf like nothing happened. Reid is badly hurt and stays down. If Sidney Rice is made of glass, what is Eric Reid made of? In solidarity, Rice gifts the 49ers an unnecessary 15 yard penalty to wipe out the yardage.

Robert Turbin is robbed of a 24 yard run after Breno Giacomini draws a phantom hold. This penalty wound up costing Seattle points. Giacomini's block was textbook, and a big reason for the play's success. In fact, before the broadcast crew knew about the flag, Cris Collinsworth circled Giacomini on the replay and commended him for a good run block.

On that same play, Max Unger did put a hand on the back of a defensive lineman and appeared to give a very minor shove. It's not something I would throw the flag on personally, but it was within the definition of a hold. Giacomini was the one officially tagged with the hold, but I have to imagine they meant it for Unger. If not, it was an inexcusably bad call.

Seattle RBs strongly preferred to run behind Sweezy all game long.

Aldon Smith owns McQuistan again 1 on 1. Sack. Punt. Halftime.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Wilson's pretty stocky and can take a shot. That's the only thing giving me optimism with our OL.

Funny, but Harbaugh's not a complete douche. In his presser on Monday, he was asked about that hit by Brooks on Wilson. Jimmy replied that he still felt that should be illegal, but was tired of talking about it and "someone else needs to carry that water". Can't blame the guy for telling his guys to hit Wilson if it's legal.

I saw Carp in a couple of replays move J. Smith handily out of the way. Smith never got trucked, but Carp moved him out what looked to be easily. I think Carp is just rusty and is getting back into game shape still. Missing 2nd level blocks against these LBers isn't a cardinal sin; they're pretty damned good for a reason, and one of them is shedding blocks.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
kearly":1jvxownq said:
This next play is probably the most remarkable in the game for me. James Carpenter, who for all his past faults, is usually a brick wall against power rushers, gets smoked by a power rush from Ian Williams. Williams drives Carpenter back instantly and puts him on his back, and very nearly sacks Wilson. Wilson unloads the ball just in time and just misses a touchdown to Zach Miller. Ian Williams didn't know it at that moment, but he was playing on a broken ankle.

Just a note, Ian Williams was injured in the 1st quarter, and didn't return. He was injured on a cut block on a Lynch run. The player you are referring to is actually Demarcus Dobbs (83) who plays both TE and DT.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Wilson apparently forgets that Okung isn't in the game to stop Smith anymore. He rolls right, holds the ball for a decent amount of time (the receivers appear to be running deep routes), and is nailed in the back by Smith who is barely touched by McQuistan. McQuistan's technically the one at fault, but the coaching staff should never have trusted him to win that matchup in the first place. Aldon Smith racked up roughly 20 sacks last season against guys like Paul McQuistan.

This sack pushed Seattle out of comfortable field goal range and took points off the board for Seattle. I usually don't take issues with playcalling, but sending all the receivers deep on 3rd down when in fringe field goal range and Paul McQuistan is 1 on 1 with Aldon Smith? An alarm should have gone off in Bevell's head before he called that play.

See, I got a little problem with that criticism. Why isn't Russell audibling out of the original call and/or changing the protection to account for this issue? That's what you see the Mannings/Rodgers/Ryans of the elite QB world doing every game.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
HawksFTW":2qrr0wyc said:
kearly":2qrr0wyc said:

Just a note, Ian Williams was injured in the 1st quarter, and didn't return. He was injured on a cut block on a Lynch run. The player you are referring to is actually Demarcus Dobbs (83) who plays both TE and DT.

Ya I was wondering about his reference to 'playing on a broken ankle'. Once Sweezy cut blocked him for the injury, he did NOT return.

Anyway, minus my two armchair criticims, I once again enjoyed your breakdowns of the game.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Kearly, i think we need to pitch in and get you a game rewind account. Maybe start a weekly scouting thread too?

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":1ye23v0q said:
Kearly, i think we need to pitch in and get you a game rewind account. Maybe start a weekly scouting thread too?

I actually kind of hate doing these, and I'm hoping this will be my last one this season. Maybe my last one ever. But Seattle is playing some weird football right now and I wanted to investigate the causes. It is a ton of work though.

Laloosh

Reaction score
kearly":eygp17oc said:
E.C. Laloosh":eygp17oc said:

I actually kind of hate doing these, and I'm this will probably be my last one this season. Maybe my last one ever. But Seattle is playing some weird football right now and I wanted to investigate the causes. It is a ton of work though.

Okay, that sort of backfired on me. Sorry to hear that. We all really enjoy reading them as you know.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":13n1mehw said:
HawksFTW":13n1mehw said:
kearly":13n1mehw said:

Ya I was wondering about his reference to 'playing on a broken ankle'. Once Sweezy cut blocked him for the injury, he did NOT return.

Anyway, minus my two armchair criticims, I once again enjoyed your breakdowns of the game.

Yep, if you watched the replay you would understand why, nasty looking break.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
kearly":3jfhs71l said:
E.C. Laloosh":3jfhs71l said:

I actually kind of hate doing these, and I'm this will probably be my last one this season. Maybe my last one ever. But Seattle is playing some weird football right now and I wanted to investigate the causes. It is a ton of work though.
That's sad to hear, but I completely understand. Here's to hoping you change your mind.

gargantual

Reaction score
Appreciate whatever you put out, definitely. Your play-by-play analysis is top notch, but there are some other really good X&O guys to cover that though. Not sure we could stand to lose out on your overall synopsis pieces (ie the Random Thoughts stuff), so I hope you'll still have time for those.

Now that you brought it up, I'd actually been thinking, "Damn, he's putting in a heckova lot of work on these things! I suppose after getting a taste, everyone naturally wants more, but you gotta have a life too...which is actually hilarious to hear me say. My dear wife of 27 years was just chiding me the other day about being addicted to this site. She was teasing me, of course, but that doesn't mean she isn't right, and like a big portion of everyone here spend waaaay too much time obsessing about the Hawks.

It's sure a nice distraction for those insomniac nights though. :roll:

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":2k840lup said:

See, I got a little problem with that criticism. Why isn't Russell audibling out of the original call and/or changing the protection to account for this issue? That's what you see the Mannings/Rodgers/Ryans of the elite QB world doing every game.

Exactly right Jazz -- and I'll add to that by furthermore saying that (at least at first) you stop trying to execute a lot of these deep routes that obviously take time to develop (because you're going to get your QB killed.) Instead, especially against a good fast aggressive defense, you do things to take advantage of that aggressiveness. Get the ball out fast. Quick outs, quick slants across the middle, trap plays, screens -- heavens, I've been saying it for a couple of years now, where are the old fashioned screen passes? I'm thinking those traditional screens where the offensive linemen release and allow their man to rush aren't even in the Seahawks playbook. Now I agree that against that particular defense (that is so dang smart and fast) that it might not have worked, but you've got to do something to adjust. Perhaps I'd be proved wrong if I went back and looked at the tape, but I don't recall a whole lot of play-calling designed to attack the aggressiveness of guys like Aldon Smith and to get them to back off.

sam1313

Reaction score
kearly":1kxfbyam said:
E.C. Laloosh":1kxfbyam said:

nooooo!!!!!¡