EAGLES @ 49ERS

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":231joase said:
NINEster":231joase said:
dracolich81":231joase said:
After the niners performance today...I seriously can't wait for us to play them!

A few things you need to remember:

1) NFL seasons are LONG and few teams stay the same week 1 - 17
2) The 49ers will get more talent back, not less
3) The 49ers at home versus the Seahawks on prime time will never ever come out flat (energy)

Right now there's a concern about the 49ers performance, but very little IMO about their talent.

Defense wins championships and I don't see the 49er defense falling off anytime soon. If you allow a field goal to the Eagles then your defense yielded more than ours did to them without some big names in our lineup.

I used to watch many 49er seasons in the Young/Garcia era knowing we'd be very competitive week to week but a lot of doubts proven true come playoff time.

So while this current team is struggling, I have more confidence in them for the long haul than I ever did any of those post '95-pre '03 teams.

Meanwhile, I'd be concerned about that second half schedule for the Seahawks. Definitely looks challenging....all division plus @KC & @PHI.

Given the injuries that SF has had to weather, I'd be optimistic as well but as you said, it's a long season and a lot can change (for better or worse).

The back half of our schedule is going to be a real test without a bye week mixed in there. If SF can avoid further injury and get some guys back, I don't see them falling out of contention unless the shaky pass protection and mental errors continue. Losing VD every other week won't help either.

Honestly, I'm not even looking that far off.

They've put themselves in a hole. They have KC, St Louis, and then they are IN Denver. Lets see how they get through that stretch.

I'm not all that confident going into Denver down as many players as they are right now.

They also have to go to NO a few weeks after that. They are struggling right now, but that ship can get righted in a hurry.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":g1ocjuyv said:
Laloosh":g1ocjuyv said:
NINEster":g1ocjuyv said:
dracolich81":g1ocjuyv said:
After the niners performance today...I seriously can't wait for us to play them!

3) The 49ers at home versus the Seahawks on prime time will never ever come out flat (energy)

Right now there's a concern about the 49ers performance, but very little IMO about their talent.

Defense wins championships and I don't see the 49er defense falling off anytime soon. If you allow a field goal to the Eagles then your defense yielded more than ours did to them without some big names in our lineup.

I used to watch many 49er seasons in the Young/Garcia era knowing we'd be very competitive week to week but a lot of doubts proven true come playoff time.

So while this current team is struggling, I have more confidence in them for the long haul than I ever did any of those post '95-pre '03 teams.

Meanwhile, I'd be concerned about that second half schedule for the Seahawks. Definitely looks challenging....all division plus @KC & @PHI.

Given the injuries that SF has had to weather, I'd be optimistic as well but as you said, it's a long season and a lot can change (for better or worse).

The back half of our schedule is going to be a real test without a bye week mixed in there. If SF can avoid further injury and get some guys back, I don't see them falling out of contention unless the shaky pass protection and mental errors continue. Losing VD every other week won't help either.

They've put themselves in a hole. They have KC, St Louis, and then they are IN Denver. Lets see how they get through that stretch.

I'm not all that confident going into Denver down as many players as they are right now.

They also have to go to NO a few weeks after that. They are struggling right now, but that ship can get righted in a hurry.

Read your post-game thoughts over there, Marv. Way to turn that game clock mismanagement into a positive ;)

Seriously though, why don't you post that over here? I usually find it interesting and you seem to post more over here than there lately.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":s3bvt78b said:
Marvin49":s3bvt78b said:
Laloosh":s3bvt78b said:
NINEster":s3bvt78b said:

Read your post-game thoughts over there, Marv. Way to turn that game clock mismanagement into a positive ;)

Seriously though, why don't you post that over here? I usually find it interesting and you seem to post more over here than there lately.

The clock management part?

Didn't think peeps here would care enough to be honest. I don't think it's really making it a positive though...just explains why that happens. Its not really that complicated.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I guffawed like a donkey when Kaepernick called that final timeout on 4th down when it was obvious to everyone that you'd far rather take the penalty because your punter couldn't care less from that field position change.

Can't lie.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":3im0q5bj said:

Didn't think peeps here would care enough to be honest. I don't think it's really making it a positive though...just explains why that happens. Its not really that complicated.

Having woken up and re-read it, it felt a lot less homeristic (the clock management part) than my first attempt. You definitely acknowledged that it needed to stop.

Do what you like. Just thought I'd float that one. I always make a point to read your post-game stuff and it's not just so I can give you shit afterward :D

Might spark some discussion that doesn't involve arrests, cover ups, coaching changes or stabbing references (no promises though).

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":2vnzgeet said:
Marvin49":2vnzgeet said:

Having woken up and re-read it, it felt a lot less homeristic (the clock management part) than my first attempt. You definitely acknowledged that it needed to stop.

Do what you like. Just thought I'd float that one. I always make a point to read your post-game stuff and it's not just so I can give you shit afterward :D

Might spark some discussion that doesn't involve arrests, cover ups, coaching changes or stabbing references (no promises though).

Ya...but that's what peeps here are interested in. :D

Nah...I don't post that here because I honestly don't think peeps would care enough to read it. Why should they? It's a Seahawks forum. I rarely start threads at all here.

I know a few of you here read it over there....so its cool.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Laloosh":11a7859b said:
I always make a point to read your post-game stuff and it's not just so I can give you shit afterward :D

The Marv Zone?

We could make a little blog with an animated gif of an active Gyro that has question marks and LOL spraying out of it.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":2rioufxe said:
Laloosh":2rioufxe said:
Marvin49":2rioufxe said:

Ya...but that's what peeps here are interested in. :D

Nah...I don't post that here because I honestly don't think peeps would care enough to read it. Why should they? It's a Seahawks forum. I rarely start threads at all here.

I know a few of you here read it over there....so its cool.

Oh, I didn't say it should be it's own thread ;)

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Marvin49":1fz4ephp said:
Diezel Dawg":1fz4ephp said:
Marvin49":1fz4ephp said:
Laloosh":1fz4ephp said:
Marvin49 said:
Just curious why peeps thought Kap played so badly. He did fall for that trap play and took a bad delay of game at the end there, but other than that he didn't play to badly. The TD to Gore was almost inhuman. He missed a few throws, but it's not like he played poorly.

Funny fact I read before the game. Seattle fans view Kap as a turnover machine, but did you know that going into the game he had the third LOWEST INT % in NFL HISTORY? I wanna say it was 1.9 or something like that. Foles was #1 at 1.3.

The most obvious response would be to point out the 56% completion percentage, consistent passes behind and over receivers and not handling pressure very well.

Personally, I thought he looked pretty inconsistent all game. Seems like he's getting a taste of what Russ had to deal with last year. An o-line that isn't giving him a clean pocket to sit back and comfortably make throws from and I don't think he handles it all very well (see Russell Wilson).

The tosses to Stevie for the TD and Boldin along the sideline in the second quarter were really nice (though I thought Boldin pushed off). Was nice to see your boy Crabtree finally get called on that btw. The TD to Gore was an example of how terrible Philly's tackling can be in the secondary.

Philly's offense was disgusting. When Foles wasn't completely overthrowing his receivers, his passes were under thrown or directly to a SF player. Their receivers coughed up, what, two fumbles? Had Philly's offense been capable of scoring one TD total, you lose the game. I'd call that a fairly lucky win, all things considered.

SF's defense and run game were the story of the game but not unlike the DAL game, the opposing team did a lot to hurt themselves.

I guess I can see that on the comp %, but he had at least 5 or 5 drops including a pretty one to Vernon over the middle.

He's completing 70% of his passes on the season tho with a 91 rating and that's including the horror story vs the Bears.

OBTW, he's also RUSHED for 187 yards including 59 today.

All well tho. I guess I'm just not seeing it. I'm sure peeps will say it because I'm a homer, but whatever's clever. I see game playing SOOOO much better than he did at this point last year.
LOL I love how 66.9% gets rounded up to 70%

Actually I read 70% somewhere. Was just coming here to correct it once I saw the accurate number this AM. Dunno where I got 70%. 66.9% is correct.

My bad.
No worries Marvin. Had to give ya a hard time on that one

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ It was over 70% across the first three games. That's where that's coming from. Down to 67 or 68 or whatever after last night.

Whatever it is, it's a marked improvement so far. His problem in the Eagles game -- and the pick six -- are the same problem that has been touched on: he relies too much on his pre-snap reads, and doesn't adjust. His accuracy was also irregularly inconsistent this game* On the pick six there was a blitzer running free so it's hard to give him too much crap about that, but that's the issue with him. People here saying he has a problem going to his first read or not getting through his progressions either have no idea what they're talking about or didn't watch this game (or any games this season).

*Some dimes like the Johnson TD and the Crabtree first down floated over the trailing defender in the 4th, and some off target like the long reception to Johnson and the missed pass to Johnson on that laughably bad offensive pick call on Carrier.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1ua05tre said:
^^^ It was over 70% across the first three games. That's where that's coming from. Down to 67 or 68 or whatever after last night.

AHH

I knew I read it somewhere.

I must have been looking at his statline before they updated it with the latest game.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
As for this game and in the context of where I'm posting, the 9ers obviously didn't play a perfect game, and far from it. :lol:

The major problem was in pass protection (and of course special teams). Boone had an awful game, Iupati had a bad game, and after Davis went out Martin played like his usual garbage self. Staley even got beat a few times.

Smaller problems were that Kap's accuracy was inconsistent, the 9ers had some drops, and they still had too many offensive penalties. That' it.

Here's the part where people who so desire can call me a homer and a troll:

Perfect games are rare, and even if the 9ers had played one -- which they SURELY didn't -- many posters here would still find a way to discount it. We gotta remember where we're posting:

*When the 9ers beat the Cowboys in Week 1 according to many people here it was only because the Cowboys were the worst team in the league. The Cowboys are now 3-1.

*When the 9ers beat the Eagles last night on this forum it's because their line is beat up and because they're overrated, but with that beat up O Line they've averaged more yards per game than any other team in the league and went 3-0. The 9ers held the top gaining offense in the league to 210 yards of offense.

To be way too honest, if the Hawks gifted a 3-0 opponent 21 points on special teams and a pick 6 there would be a lot of people here saying that only the Hawks are good enough and level-headed enough and well coached enough (etc.) to give away 21 points and still win. People would say those things need to be cleaned up, but it's a testament to how awesome the team is that they had those mistakes and still won. If the Hawks held the top yardage offense in the NFL to 210 yards and their own offense had six scoring drives the story would be about how the Hawks are so good that they can even overcome mistakes that would tank any other team in the NFL. If they had that defensive performance while two of their all-pro defenders weren't playing (say, Earl Thomas and Sherman) people would be even more excited about how dominate of a team they are, and how they can overcome mistakes that would tank anyone else.

So, the 9ers played FAR from a perfect game, but for many posters here they're just not going to get any credit no matter what they do. That comes with the territory of posting on a rival board. It's of course the same way with the Hawks on the Webzone.

So, as a 9ers fan, as for this game, I want to see my team pull out wins in close games when they've dug themselves a hole. Everyone has those games, and winning them is important. Think of the Hawks versus the Texans or Bucs last year. That the 9ers did it against a previously 3-0 team that won its division last year makes me pretty happy.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I'll piggy back Popeye's point. For me this game just showed how much better the NFC West is than the rest of the conference. Honestly, as popeye pointed out, the 9ers were really poor in special teams and lacked offensive continuity. Up until the Eagles lost it, opposing teams who have scored on 3 different returns were 71-1-1 (thats insane) and yet the 9ers still won.

The 9ers, like the Hawks, Cards and even the Rams have been immersed in this battle to the death known as the NFC west for a few years now. I just think our teams are tougher: mentally, physically.

I guess the point is, do you see any NFC west team losing a game in which it gets 3 return TDs (or even 2?)

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1mile307 said:
*When the 9ers beat the Cowboys in Week 1 according to many people here it was only because the Cowboys were the worst team in the league. The Cowboys are now 3-1.

The cowboys played so terrible that game. As an example, Romo passed up his wide open first read, scrambled and threw it right to Willis.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Who wouldn't be happy to get the "W"?

As for nobody giving them any credit, I think you're overstating it. I can't argue that Foles' ridiculous meltdown, throwing for less than 50% happens without SF's defense contributing to it but it was obvious that he and his o-line were in rough shape.

I watched the game twice. SF's run game and Philly's lack of one combined for a boring ass game that SF managed to not lose (barely). SF got back to doing what they're good at (running the ball), dominated TOP and field position but barely beat a team that couldn't cross the 50 until the 4th quarter. Sorry if we aren't lining up to praise them in a fashion that is to your liking.

The special teams plays and the pick-six were a challenge to overcome. Luckily that's all Philly proved capable of doing on the scoring front.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Laloosh":yk35jflk said:
As for nobody giving them any credit, I think you're overstating it.

Or you might be overstating my supposed overstatement? :D

I never said "nobody." I was very careful to say "some" and "many" and NOT say "nobody."

Laloosh":yk35jflk said:
Sorry if we aren't lining up to praise them in a fashion that is to your liking.

I was quite clear in my post (and repeatedly) that it would be foolish to expect many here to praise the 9ers. I have no idea where this is coming from, as it directly contradicts what I actually posted.

Anything else worth saying for me is already in my longer post, so no point in restating and turning this into a unnecessary back and forth that's ultimately my responsibility for having discussed the game in the context of both football and fandom rather than just football. :th2thumbs:

Laloosh

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3chfmkg8 said:
Laloosh":3chfmkg8 said:
As for nobody giving them any credit, I think you're overstating it.

Or you might be overstating my supposed overstatement? :D

I never said "nobody." I was very careful to say "some" and "many" and NOT say "nobody."

Laloosh":3chfmkg8 said:
Sorry if we aren't lining up to praise them in a fashion that is to your liking.

I was quite clear in my post (and repeatedly) that it would be foolish to expect many here to praise the 9ers. I have no idea where this is coming from, as it directly contradicts what I actually posted.

Anything else worth saying for me is already in my longer post, so no point in restating and turning this into a unnecessary back and forth that's ultimately my responsibility for having discussed the game in the context of both football and fandom rather than just football. :th2thumbs:

I apologize for the second quote. Was inflammatory. If you eliminate that and substitute "nobody" with "most [SEA posters on this board] not", I stand by the rest of the post.

Latest posts