Eagles Gardner Minshew Trade

Seahawker

Reaction score
What are every ones thoughts on a draft day or pre DD trade for Gardner Minshew to compete with Lock for the starting QB spot?

Seahawks #9 (1350)
Philly #15 (1050)
Philly #18 (900)
Philly R2 #51 >(390)
Philly R3 #83 >(175)
Philly R3 #101 >(96)
Philly R4 #124 >(48)

Seahawks trade down from #9 to #15 or 18 (300- 450 point differential) and get Minshew plus a 3rd or 4th from Philadelphia.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Eason needs a QB whisperer. And quick. Imagine what that kid could be if he could get his head right and let the game come to him. I'm not holding my breath. Just sayin'.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He has potential that has yet to be realized.

Sure want to try these 2-3 stringers this season and wait and find the guy. Maybe there is a guy that has not yet realized his NFL potential.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I like it. Minshew would probably beat out Lock, or at worst, cause Lock to step up his game dramatically. Minshew tends to protect the ball, i.e., limit turnovers, a trait Pete prizes. Not sure Minshew has a big enough arm for Pete's preferences, so I'd be mildly surprised to see Hawks go after Minshew.

flv2

Reaction score
What the...? Lock isn't an NFL starting quality QB. You don't trade down from #9 to #15 for someone to compete with a back-up. If you think Minshew is your QB of the future then make a trade. No need to bring Lock into it.

We saw what Minshew's trade value was last year. Giving up low 2nd round pick value for him now seems like a very high valuation.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
No thanks on trading foe Minshew, I’d stick with Eason, bring back Geno and let the three compete. If they don’t get value to rebuild the team from that 1st rd pick they will have failed in my mind. I don’t see trading for Minshew as accomplishing that goal.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
^ I couldn't agree more. We are on the verge of making another run and we are also on the verge of drafting 15th year after year. Unless the bulk of our fanbase is on life support, I don't see the urgency in trading picks for any QB, when there's no QB out there that will win us the division. Unless there's a corner we just can't pass up, Let's use these picks on the lines and build this team inside out. Not vice versa (aka no more toys for a while).

RiverDog

Reaction score
I like Minshew but am reluctant to trade any significant draft capital for him. I wouldn't go any higher than a 6th rounder. Besides, I think Philly is going to cling on to him and would likely demand one of our 2nd round picks, which would be way too rich.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Minshew is entertaining as hell, but isn’t and never will be close to a franchise QB.

Wasting any draft capital on him would indicate denial of the need for a drastic team makeover / youth movement.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I think Mayfield will end up here for a song.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I think Mayfield will end up here for a song.
I'm not so sure about that. No one, including the Hawks, is going to take on Mayfield's guaranteed $18.8M contract unless the Browns agree to absorb a major part of it, something they've shown no indication of doing. Besides, Cleveland may need him if Watson is hit with a major suspension, which seems more likely than not. The Browns really painted themselves into a corner.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Minshew's a backup, so no I'm not willing to give up our #9 position for a backup.

IMO no one in the NW would care about Minshew if he didn't go to Wazzu.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
I'm not so sure about that. No one, including the Hawks, is going to take on Mayfield's guaranteed $18.8M contract unless the Browns agree to absorb a major part of it, something they've shown no indication of doing. Besides, Cleveland may need him if Watson is hit with a major suspension, which seems more likely than not. The Browns really painted themselves into a corner.
They signed Jacoby Brissett for that role. After the ‘adult’ shade don't see how Baker walks back through the door.

Unless someone gets REALLY desperate, the Brownies will most likely take some token pick swap deal and eat the salary down to back up level impact for the new team.

Hawknight

Reaction score
Browns will cave eventually and eat the 18 mil in order to move Mayfield. It's only a matter of time and teams know it. Sharks circling the prey.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Browns will cave eventually and eat the 18 mil in order to move Mayfield. It's only a matter of time and teams know it. Sharks circling the prey.
There's not that many 'sharks' circling and there'll be even fewer after the draft. If they don't hold onto him as an insurance policy in the event Watson gets a long suspension, my guess is that they end up cutting him.