Earl Thomas: “I know I’m hot” in response to free agency.

rossob

Reaction score
Seymour":htil557a said:
Ya, Earl tipped his hand after his injury and commenting on playing again about another safety signing a huge contract talking about not turning down that kind of $$.

Bye Earl.
Found the quote
“I saw Eric Berry get that huge deal,” Thomas said of the $70 million contract with $40 million guaranteed the Kansas City Chiefs gave their star safety this offseason. “There ain’t never enough of that.”

Seymour

Reaction score
rossob":1mwsekbu said:
Seymour":1mwsekbu said:
Ya, Earl tipped his hand after his injury and commenting on playing again about another safety signing a huge contract talking about not turning down that kind of $$.

Bye Earl.
Found the quote
“I saw Eric Berry get that huge deal,” Thomas said of the $70 million contract with $40 million guaranteed the Kansas City Chiefs gave their star safety this offseason. “There ain’t never enough of that.”

That is the one. :2thumbs:

Steve2222

Reaction score
rossob":26gf4wef said:
Wow that doesn't sound as if he really cares about staying here. I always thought he would take one for the team.

No player will ever take one for the team. Get your money while you can. You think Aaron Donald is going to give LA a hometown discount? No. He’s going to seek being the highest paid player in NFL history. Not highest paid DT or defender. Player. I guarantee it.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
What do you reckon his trade value is? He should be shopped if he's being this adamant about the dollar amount.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":16ob2gmk said:
What do you reckon his trade value is? He should be shopped if he's being this adamant about the dollar amount.

Only a team who feels they’re a safety away from competing would give up anything good in return. And how many teams think they’re a safety away lol

Probably would get a 2nd and 5th at most. Even a second is debatable though.

He’s one of the best at safety, but safety is not a premium position. And he elite teams in the league right now all have good to great FS’.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
This team has gone from healthy, open communication...to toxic family dysfunction

I know he's great. I know he deserves a big contract. I know he's arguably the best safety in the league, but this strikes me as arrogance and a guy who only cares for himself. Even though he has a coach and GM that's loyal to a fault

We're not the Patriots, they do what works for them. We have a team + player friendly culture. Fans love and support the Hawks, praising and defending them constantly. So it always rubs me the wrong way when a player sounds like this. Idk, maybe I'm looking too deep into it. But I don't think I am

This kind of attitude is far worse than distractions or "politics." Great teams are either unified by one goal, OR...they fall under a strict disciplinarian and focus strictly on the team. Our 2013 (and 2014) SB runs had a team that was all about brotherhood, playing extremely physical, sacrificing and supporting each other. We've lost that since the infamous play. But most importantly the egos have gotten worse and I think Earl is a major part of this. He's criticized the offense, he made an unnecessary comment on Wagz, and now he's suggesting that being a Hawk for the rest of his life is an option for him, and not a desire. Damn shame. Sounds like a guy who fell very in love with himself, you'd think the injury would have humbled him to appreciate the support around him

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Steve2222":1mqit7gw said:
rossob":1mqit7gw said:
Wow that doesn't sound as if he really cares about staying here. I always thought he would take one for the team.

No player will ever take one for the team. Get your money while you can. You think Aaron Donald is going to give LA a hometown discount? No. He’s going to seek being the highest paid player in NFL history. Not highest paid DT or defender. Player. I guarantee it.

I wouldn't say "No player." Depends on the player and the organization

These kinds of things become mutual. The organization values you enough to give you a big contract. In turn, especially if you love the coach, ownership, and the future of the team...you either take a little less or you structure a team friendly deal. Teams usually load up on bonuses as a result

And even if a player wants the money, great players in their heart want the team they're with to show they value them. They want to stay with the organization. Players do care about culture and stability, Especially if they have families

cymatica

Reaction score
Jville":235cq30m said:
Another signal that the greed of the one now outweighs the needs of the many.

The first evidence of the end of the reign of the LOB was signaled by Kam's holdout.

Clearly, that exceptional but perishable culture is dead.

It's over ..... 2012 - 2015 RIP

I bet Kam never holds out if we never signed Harvin. Letting Tate go for Harvin sent a bad message.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Scorpion05":xryjotje said:
Steve2222":xryjotje said:
rossob":xryjotje said:

These kinds of things become mutual. The organization values you enough to give you a big contract. In turn, especially if you love the coach, ownership, and the future of the team...you either take a little less or you structure a team friendly deal. Teams usually load up on bonuses as a result

And even if a player wants the money, great players in their heart want the team they're with to show they value them. They want to stay with the organization. Players do care about culture and stability, Especially if they have families

Could you name me elite players who took hometown discounts?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
IrishNW":2y7b8q38 said:
Coug_Hawk08":2y7b8q38 said:
IrishNW":2y7b8q38 said:
Bobby's comments really got me thinking...what if Earl Thomas has been part of the cancer in that locker room?

Its a hard pill to swallow because I always thought Earl was the heart and soul of this defense but now I'm questioning everything. I think we are in for one wild ride this off season.

Mike Silver also has predicted Earl is gone next year.

It does give you the sense that he thinks he is the best player on the defense, and is entitled to recognition over others — both monetary and media wise.

Re: Mike Silver, did he suggest a trade or something? I’d struggle with moving on next year, as we have essentially no replacement at all. Would kind of be winging it.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/nflnetwork/status/942937801959530497[/tweet]
Hopefully a set of new coordinators. :)

Crizilla

Reaction score
NE is going to go hard after Thomas. I guarantee it. Also, if it means keeping Wagner, I'm ok with Thomas signing with another team. I would hate it don't get me wrong but we can't let both Wags and Thomas leave

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
You have to be kidding me.

You might be Seahawk fans, and I love you to death for that.

HE HAS SACRIFICED.

Remember a Green Bay playoff game where he was injured in the game but kept playing because he could not come out?

Remember both he and Kam risked their health and livelihood in order to play in that SB that Bevell lost for us?

Remember last year him being injured significantly while being out there?

Now ask yourself, why the hell he should sacrifice anything? He did sacrifice and it got us to 2 SBs, but lately the offense is not carrying its weight and the defense is clearly tired of it. We sanded our defense down with overuse. And we refuse to even try to hold the offense accountable.

In the meantime, his playing time is finite and he needs to earn what he can. He was one of the key reasons the LOB was what it was and his play got us to the 2 SBs. But no matter how he plays, he cannot overcome poor decisions from his FO and his head coach.

Why would he force himself to rejoin a defense that gets little help, but plenty of blame when things go wrong?

He deserves whatever he can get in FA, even though I think we will find he needed Kam a bit more than he realized.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Watching Bennett and Kam get extended last year to crazy extensions isn't helping the cause to keep him. Especially after complaining publicly about their contracts and Kam obviously holding out. He is and knows he is the most important part of the defense. Anyone that watched us collapse last season saw it. We had played games without Kam and beaten decent teams without him. We couldn't compete with anyone decent without him. Earl has all the leverage. Bennett is making something stupid like $17 mill this year. That has to get under his skin.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Steve2222":27vdrv1g said:
Scorpion05":27vdrv1g said:
Steve2222":27vdrv1g said:
rossob":27vdrv1g said:

Brady did, but I'm still on the side of the fence that Earl deserves to get paid. Would love to see him here, he is only 28 I believe, so at a minimum one good contract upcoming.

You have to ask yourself if you would be willing to not get paid what your worth if you worked for a company that let the management get paid for doing a poor job and not holding them accountable for their mistakes while they asked the labor force to work for less so they could hire more people to make up for management deficiencies.

All the while the company was doing worse and worse each year.

Seymour

Reaction score
cymatica":3iu7lnjt said:
Jville":3iu7lnjt said:
Another signal that the greed of the one now outweighs the needs of the many.

The first evidence of the end of the reign of the LOB was signaled by Kam's holdout.

Clearly, that exceptional but perishable culture is dead.

It's over ..... 2012 - 2015 RIP

I bet Kam never holds out if we never signed Harvin. Letting Tate go for Harvin sent a bad message.

^^^^^^
That is where the demon seed began IMO. Gimmie money, gimmie ball, thanks for the $$ but my hip hurts and I cant play until the Vikings and the SB roll around. That bleed over to Lynch who liked him and soon after the "not black enough" crap started with Russell and the SB brawl with Tate and also Baldwin vs Percy. We paid up the ass for next to nothing for that turd and continued to pay 2 more years after. :pukeface:

Steve2222

Reaction score
Subzero717":1npergku said:
Watching Bennett and Kam get extended last year to crazy extensions isn't helping the cause to keep him. Especially after complaining publicly about their contracts and Kam obviously holding out. He is and knows he is the most important part of the defense. Anyone that watched us collapse last season saw it. We had played games without Kam and beaten decent teams without him. We couldn't compete with anyone decent without him. Earl has all the leverage. Bennett is making something stupid like $17 mill this year. That has to get under his skin.

I agree with this post. But I’d also put Wagner’s value right up there with him. And if I had to choose between the two it’s be Wagner as finding an elite MLB is more difficult than safety. Not to mention MLB is a more valued position. Anyone remember how bad our D looked in 2014 when Wagner missed significant time?

rossob

Reaction score
Subzero717":2tqaf8np said:

That we were so bad without him had a lot to do with having such an incredibly bad replacement for him. Him missing did not have such an impact this year with McDougald.

I don't think Kam is worth what we are paying him either now that he isn't as good anymore as he was and doesn't hit people anymore the way he used to.
I don't get why Bennett is making 15 mill this year but he gets only 10mill in the next 3 years.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/michael-bennett-7709/

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Steve2222":hzn7t0s4 said:
Scorpion05":hzn7t0s4 said:
Steve2222":hzn7t0s4 said:
rossob":hzn7t0s4 said:

??? Did you read my post carefully? Or is this about trying to win a point?

I can name two on our own team. I didn't like Kam's holdout, but his contract was team friendly in terms of its structure, for a guy that was considered top 5 at his position. Hindsight is 20/20

This is an article/video of Kam saying all the right things, showing the maturity to speak positively publicly about the team and not giving them bait:

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nf ... 17572.html

And another

http://www.nbcsports.com/video/seattle- ... y-contract

Virtually every expert who analyzed the contract acknowledged that it's a team friendly deal that gives the Seahawks a lot of flexibility. If Kam wanted, he could have tested free agency more and gotten more money...plus get a contract that secures his future and reduces his future likelihood of getting cut

Russell could have also demanded more money. His contract is also team friendly

When Julio Jones got his contract with the Falcons, there was speculation that his contract would be close, if not above Calvin Johnson's $113 million dollar contract. Instead, Julio got a contract similar to Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas. In large part because he has a good thing in ATL, and he loves being a Falcon

My main point, if you re-read it was simply that it's less so about taking a "pay cut" and more so negotiating where you and the team that respects you are on the same page. This isn't what Earl is doing. He's basically talking like a guy that is above it all, which is in SHARP contrast to several future HOF type superstars I can mention. Earl simply sounds like a guy who wants his biggest payday and NOT a guy that wants to finish his career here

And I can guarantee, whatever Aaron Donald is going to get paid, there's another team that would pay him more. But he'll stay with the Rams in part because its LA, he can make money in other ways, and it's a team with a bright future and a young coach

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
If Earl gonna be PAID, he should go.

As much as I like Earl, he is a HOF and Seahawks legend.

This team is in shambles and are quickly going nowhere.

Earl deserves better.

Yes, I said it.