Earl Thomas: “I know I’m hot” in response to free agency.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1k8tf19s said:
You have to be kidding me.

You might be Seahawk fans, and I love you to death for that, but some of you are morons.

HE HAS SACRIFICED.

Remember a Green Bay playoff game where he was injured in the game but kept playing because he could not come out?

Remember both he and Kam risked their health and livelihood in order to play in that SB that Bevell lost for us?

Remember last year him being injured significantly while being out there?

Now ask yourself, why the hell he should sacrifice anything? He did sacrifice and it got us to 2 SBs, but lately the offense is not carrying its weight and the defense is clearly tired of it. We sanded our defense down with overuse. And we refuse to even try to hold the offense accountable.

In the meantime, his playing time is finite and he needs to earn what he can. He was one of the key reasons the LOB was what it was and his play got us to the 2 SBs. But no matter how he plays, he cannot overcome poor decisions from his FO and his head coach.

Why would he force himself to rejoin a defense that gets little help, but plenty of blame when things go wrong?

He deserves whatever he can get in FA, even though I think we will find he needed Kam a bit more than he realized.

It's just an opinion, no need to immaturely call anyone a moron

Ummm..Russ sacrificed, Sherman sacrificed, plenty of people sacrificed on this team. Heck, Russ risked his career last year playing on that leg. Plenty sacrifice around the NFL, give me a break

Earl has been on a team where he's surrounded by nothing but talent. Maybe he should go to a team without a franchise QB or HOF talent on defense. Most of the money is on defense, so they are expected to shoulder that burden and not cry about it. That's the fan's job

If Earl doesn't see this team as a family anymore why is he here? He wants to complain about Bevell's playcall? The offense had a double digit lead in the fourth quarter of that Super Bowl. Who gave up the lead? Oh right the defense

We can cry about that one play all we want but that was a team loss. The offense gave us a double digit lead in the fourth quarter, very little excuse to give that up. We've been in the playoffs every year, everyone rallied and supported Earl when he went through that injury. But at the end of the day team culture matters. If he doesn't want to be a part of this team, kick rocks. We will never win another Super Bowl so long as one important player is all about themselves. Recipe for disaster. I understand it's a business. But this is a VERY immature statement from Earl in comparison to other superstars

Anthony!

Reaction score
johnnyfever":9t5er2te said:
Steve2222":9t5er2te said:
Scorpion05":9t5er2te said:
Steve2222":9t5er2te said:
No player will ever take one for the team. Get your money while you can. You think Aaron Donald is going to give LA a hometown discount? No. He’s going to seek being the highest paid player in NFL history. Not highest paid DT or defender. Player. I guarantee it.

I wouldn't say "No player." Depends on the player and the organization

These kinds of things become mutual. The organization values you enough to give you a big contract. In turn, especially if you love the coach, ownership, and the future of the team...you either take a little less or you structure a team friendly deal. Teams usually load up on bonuses as a result

And even if a player wants the money, great players in their heart want the team they're with to show they value them. They want to stay with the organization. Players do care about culture and stability, Especially if they have families

Could you name me elite players who took hometown discounts?

Brady did, but I'm still on the side of the fence that Earl deserves to get paid. Would love to see him here, he is only 28 I believe, so at a minimum one good contract upcoming.

You have to ask yourself if you would be willing to not get paid what your worth if you worked for a company that let the management get paid for doing a poor job and not holding them accountable for their mistakes while they asked the labor force to work for less so they could hire more people to make up for management deficiencies.

All the while the company was doing worse and worse each year.

RW did as well he is 16th in cap hit and could have gotten way more than he took here.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Earl Thomas is a first ballot HOFer.. You don't trade first ballot HOFers at age 28, you trade them at age 31 or later.

We lost one, really bad game, and now we want to get rid of the best Free Safety in the league? no thanks.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
It's probably in the best interest for both Earl and the Seahawks to part ways.

Earl may only have a few more solid years, and the Hawks desperately need to get young and cheap again.

With everything that is going wrong with the Seahawks, why would Earl want to spend his last remaining NFL years with a bad team and possibly a teammate that he does not see eye to eye with?

What if a team offers him a great deal? This is possibly his last payday. Kam and Sherm may be on the way out as well, Earl may not want to be here without his Legion of Boom brethren when the entire sink ships.

I like Earl and always will no matter where he goes. Earl has everything a HOF player should have: passion and talent. He's one of my favorite Seahawks players of all time but if he gets an opportunity to join possibly another contender (with good coaches), we should let him go.

No reason for us as Seahawks fans to waste his last years with this current team.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
lukerguy":2m0w6pok said:
Earl Thomas is a first ballot HOFer.. You don't trade first ballot HOFers at age 28, you trade them at age 31 or later.

We lost one, really bad game, and now we want to get rid of the best Free Safety in the league? no thanks.
But don't forget, it's always better to trade a player one year too early, than one year too late.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2tly7tp1 said:
TwistedHusky":2tly7tp1 said:
You have to be kidding me.

You might be Seahawk fans, and I love you to death for that, but some of you are morons.

HE HAS SACRIFICED.

Remember a Green Bay playoff game where he was injured in the game but kept playing because he could not come out?

Remember both he and Kam risked their health and livelihood in order to play in that SB that Bevell lost for us?

Remember last year him being injured significantly while being out there?

Now ask yourself, why the hell he should sacrifice anything? He did sacrifice and it got us to 2 SBs, but lately the offense is not carrying its weight and the defense is clearly tired of it. We sanded our defense down with overuse. And we refuse to even try to hold the offense accountable.

In the meantime, his playing time is finite and he needs to earn what he can. He was one of the key reasons the LOB was what it was and his play got us to the 2 SBs. But no matter how he plays, he cannot overcome poor decisions from his FO and his head coach.

Why would he force himself to rejoin a defense that gets little help, but plenty of blame when things go wrong?

He deserves whatever he can get in FA, even though I think we will find he needed Kam a bit more than he realized.

It's just an opinion, no need to immaturely call anyone a moron

Ummm..Russ sacrificed, Sherman sacrificed, plenty of people sacrificed on this team. Heck, Russ risked his career last year playing on that leg. Plenty sacrifice around the NFL, give me a break

Earl has been on a team where he's surrounded by nothing but talent. Maybe he should go to a team without a franchise QB or HOF talent on defense. Most of the money is on defense, so they are expected to shoulder that burden and not cry about it. That's the fan's job

If Earl doesn't see this team as a family anymore why is he here? He wants to complain about Bevell's playcall? The offense had a double digit lead in the fourth quarter of that Super Bowl. Who gave up the lead? Oh right the defense

We can cry about that one play all we want but that was a team loss. The offense gave us a double digit lead in the fourth quarter, very little excuse to give that up. We've been in the playoffs every year, everyone rallied and supported Earl when he went through that injury. But at the end of the day team culture matters. If he doesn't want to be a part of this team, kick rocks. We will never win another Super Bowl so long as one important player is all about themselves. Recipe for disaster. I understand it's a business. But this is a VERY immature statement from Earl in comparison to other superstars

Mr. 05 or can I call you Scorpion?

You are rapidly becoming my favorite intelligent poster, I may not always agree with your opinions, but I can rarely fault the reasoning or passion.

Here, I’m going to disagree just a touch. While Earl may sound like he’s “me firsting”, not a team player, I think he’s just telling the truth. He’s as good or better than anyone who plays his position and he knows it.

Indeed it will take a lot of negotiations and number crunching to keep him as a Seahawk. The most serious question for us fans, Pete, and John is will he be as good or better than anyone who plays his position by the end of this next contract? Or will he sign one that protects the team in case he is not?

The Seahawks could easily lose the most core, of their core players on defense, because he’s just that hard of a player to find or replace. Should this happen, we the fans, may find out, the hard way, keeping our best players is not only hard, costly, and detrimental for other parts of the team, but is also a mistake that takes years to recover from.

This or Sherman’s second deal could easily shape the type of team the Seahawks become for more than just a few years. We may see if the cut um or the pay um crowd has a leg to stand on and, in the end, both will be able to support their sides.

If I could give THE answer I would.

But I wouldn’t be here to complain when the decision goes bad or praising myself, I knew all along, if it goes right or vice versa.

I'd be with John and Pete making the big bucks and the hard decisions.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Exactly the point.

Thomas is one of the best players in the NFL. He is an eraser, that allows you to make your corners better - and corners are the key to SB trophies. He cares about losing, so much he is crying after games. In some ways, I suspect he gets a lot of his validation of himself as a person from his ability in football. Look at his quotes about what matters to him.

He doesn't like losing. But it isn't a loyalty to the Seahawks thing. He does a lot of work in TX in the offseason. He comes from TX. His job is here. He can get a new job somewhere else, one that pays more - not sure why he would make some weird sacrifice for a team that is already on the way down? I guarantee, once he loses a step this team won't show him the same loyalty if he does do a 'hometown discount'. So why should he?

He gave us great years of amazing football and some of the best plays in the history of our team. Thank him for his contribution and be thankful that you as a fan got to watch him in your hometown uniform.

Why would you begrudge him for wanting more money somewhere else and a greater chance of success?

It isn't like he has not earned it already.

907Hawk

Reaction score
Steve2222":3alnn1xy said:
Scorpion05":3alnn1xy said:
Steve2222":3alnn1xy said:
rossob":3alnn1xy said:
Wow that doesn't sound as if he really cares about staying here. I always thought he would take one for the team.

No player will ever take one for the team. Get your money while you can. You think Aaron Donald is going to give LA a hometown discount? No. He’s going to seek being the highest paid player in NFL history. Not highest paid DT or defender. Player. I guarantee it.

These kinds of things become mutual. The organization values you enough to give you a big contract. In turn, especially if you love the coach, ownership, and the future of the team...you either take a little less or you structure a team friendly deal. Teams usually load up on bonuses as a result

And even if a player wants the money, great players in their heart want the team they're with to show they value them. They want to stay with the organization. Players do care about culture and stability, Especially if they have families

"Michael Bennett signed a four-year, $28.5 million contract with $16 million guaranteed, according to ESPN.com. He had higher offers from two other teams but took less money to re-sign with the Seahawks."

https://nesn.com/2014/03/michael-bennet ... -seahawks/

Scorpion05

Reaction score
FidelisHawk":1eh1cb7d said:
Mr. 05 or can I call you Scorpion?

You are rapidly becoming my favorite intelligent poster, I may not always agree with your opinions, but I can rarely fault the reasoning or passion.

Here, I’m going to disagree just a touch. While Earl may sound like he’s “me firsting”, not a team player, I think he’s just telling the truth. He’s as good or better than anyone who plays his position and he knows it.

Indeed it will take a lot of negotiations and number crunching to keep him as a Seahawk. The most serious question for us fans, Pete, and John is will he be as good or better than anyone who plays his position by the end of this next contract? Or will he sign one that protects the team in case he is not?

The Seahawks could easily lose the most core, of their core players on defense, because he’s just that hard of a player to find or replace. Should this happen, we the fans, may find out, the hard way, keeping our best players is not only hard, costly, and detrimental for other parts of the team, but is also a mistake that takes years to recover from.

This or Sherman’s second deal could easily shape the type of team the Seahawks become for more than just a few years. We may see if the cut um or the pay um crowd has a leg to stand on and, in the end, both will be able to support their sides.

If I could give THE answer I would.

But I wouldn’t be here to complain when the decision goes bad or praising myself, I knew all along, if it goes right or vice versa.

I'd be with John and Pete making the big bucks and the hard decisions.

Appreciate the kind words friend

Let me clarify. I think Earl is the best safety in the league. Hard to think of anyone better. And I'll even throw Earl an olive branch and say, maybe he's just being overly emotional. Maybe he's a poor communicator, and leads with his mouth not his head. Hence his retirement claims last year, I can accept that for sure

I think that my statements can be interpreted as, I don't believe Earl deserves the money. I do believe Earl deserves money. I believe in free will, and the right for him as an athlete to be a shrewd business man and get PAID however he likes. But from a team perspective, I also believe in locker room culture. I believe in chemistry. I believe some of the best teams in history have a sense of chemistry and unity. In fact, I'd argue that the Patriots that won 3 out of 4 had that sense of unity. Heck, if the Patriots sign Earl, he'll have to check his ego at the door anyway. He can't run talking to the media

And I guess that's where I land. My argument is, is Earl still a CULTURE fit?? Can Bobby count on Earl to have his back out there, to not point fingers when things go wrong or if he has an off game? What about the rest of that defense? Every team is different. I believe that chemistry and culture is a HUGE factor for a Pete Carroll team. It's why Martavis Bryant was benched for a game with the Steelers. It's not because Martavis wasn't talented, but the team understood that his negativity can be a detriment, despite how talented he is. Earl is not replaceable, but our major problem last year was not having someone adequate to replace him

So I suppose my main point is, I don't think this team can win if one of the most important members of that team has a me first attitude. I'm trying to drive home how abnormal this is. Even Deion Sanders in his heyday was less passive aggressive, loved by team mates, and had the persona that him being "me first" didn't throw anyone off. Earl doesn't have that. To use an analogy, a Mother can tell her kids how great she is, and what she deserves. But a great Mother isn't going to shove that in their kids face for no reason. She did it for the family and for that the family will prosper and appreciate her forever. No matter what team you're on in life, Earl's attitude on this is just a non-starter for me. I hope it's just his emotions talking, but I suspect it isn't

randomation

Reaction score
rossob":3e0wjgo5 said:
Wow that doesn't sound as if he really cares about staying here. I always thought he would take one for the team.

Why the hell would he take one for the team? The team should be cutting people to keep him if anything he and Sherm are the only reason our pants on head coverage scheme works. He also had an injury that could have been career ending.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I'll also add, If we had McDougal last year, he wouldn't replace Earl but our defense would have been MUCH better off

There's zero reason for Earl to be arrogant on this. Some of the key members of this team have taken team friendly deals, even when they deserved or could have gotten higher

Earl may be great but guess what? He needs Bobby Wagner to be the QB of the defense and shut down plays in its tracks. He needs Richard Sherman to shut down one half of the field. And he needs a great strong safety like Bam Bam Kam to drop the hammer. THAT is how we became successful. That is why Earl has a ring on his finger and has many playoff appearances to show for it. They all need each other. What does our defense look like without Sherman, Kam, or a pass rush? Exactly. No matter what Earl does, we're pretty much giving up 30 points a game.

Earl can go to another team, get paid top dollar, be great. Will he have a Sherman or BWagz to depend on? Will he have a QB to win games? And a fan base that are his die hard supporters? Can you not argue that Earl, Sherm, BWagz, and Kam command top dollar BECAUSE of how they help each other? Would Earl get paid as much or be seen as great if he was surrounded by average talent?

Earl can go to another team and I'll support his decision. He deserves top dollar. But let's not act as if being on the Seahawks hasn't also boosted his future HOF career

2_0_6

Reaction score
Earl is in my top 5 favorite all time Hawks, and I would hate to see him go. With that being said, its a business, guys usually want one big payday while their in their prime and sometimes feelings get hurt. If he wants more than what we can comfortably pay, then there's the door.

I bet Pete and John saw the writing on the wall with this and knew what was coming. The signing of McDougald might have been more a long term plan than a short term depth signing. I really don't see him playing out his contract here, I would bet he's traded before the draft.

We aren't getting a 1st for him, unless someone wants to severely overpay and feels like he is the missing piece. Being from Texas, Im sure he was a Cowboys fan.................... Jerry can have him for a 1st and a 5th. ;)

randomation

Reaction score
Scorpion05":15dquk04 said:
I'll also add, If we had McDougal last year, he wouldn't replace Earl but our defense would have been MUCH better off

There's zero reason for Earl to be arrogant on this. Some of the key members of this team have taken team friendly deals, even when they deserved or could have gotten higher

Earl may be great but guess what? He needs Bobby Wagner to be the QB of the defense and shut down plays in its tracks. He needs Richard Sherman to shut down one half of the field. And he needs a great strong safety like Bam Bam Kam to drop the hammer. THAT is how we became successful. That is why Earl has a ring on his finger and has many playoff appearances to show for it. They all need each other. What does our defense look like without Sherman, Kam, or a pass rush? Exactly. No matter what Earl does, we're pretty much giving up 30 points a game.

Earl can go to another team, get paid top dollar, be great. Will he have a Sherman or BWagz to depend on? Will he have a QB to win games? And a fan base that are his die hard supporters? Can you not argue that Earl, Sherm, BWagz, and Kam command top dollar BECAUSE of how they help each other? Would Earl get paid as much or be seen as great if he was surrounded by average talent?

Earl can go to another team and I'll support his decision. He deserves top dollar. But let's not act as if being on the Seahawks hasn't also boosted his future HOF career

People are delusional he is a top 5 safety period and enables our idiotic scheme. He doesn't need a strong safety to drop the hammer if he doesn't have to cover 2/3rds of the field Earl can lay the wood just fine. As for your talk about team members taking team friendly deals you mean like Bennett who is going to be paid 15 next year at 32 or Kam who is going to get 10 mil. Earl is getting 8.5 next year. Berry is getting 19 and is very comparable to Earl.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Many of you probably saw that Earl isn't my favorite as of late. It's particularly interesting regarding some posts about what Earl has sacrificed or given or whatever just after stabbing his teammate in the back who was literally actually sacrificing a risk or a torn ligament. You know, the main one down the back of your leg....

BUT

Earl IS 28. The real strength of his game comes from speed and acceleration and he's going to be right at the cusp of starting to lose that. He's thinking a year ahead career wise just after the year where he broke his leg...also where he gets his speed and acceleration from. That's gotta put some things in perspective for a guy. Even having watched Kam go down with some freak injury on a seemingly inconsequential play. Your wheels start to turn.

I'll pick at him for being a bootch by stabbing his teammate in the back to the media, but I don't fault players for putting it out there that they want money when the sun is just starting to change the color of the sky near golden hour. It's really more common among Free Safeties anyway, given what their game is about.

The real thing that's of concern for next year is the potential toxicity of this, since he's under contract.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
randomation":3gr9tulp said:
Scorpion05":3gr9tulp said:

People are delusional he is a top 5 safety period and enables our idiotic scheme. He doesn't need a strong safety to drop the hammer if he doesn't have to cover 2/3rds of the field Earl can lay the wood just fine. As for your talk about team members taking team friendly deals you mean like Bennett who is going to be paid 15 next year at 32 or Kam who is going to get 10 mil. Earl is getting 8.5 next year. Berry is getting 19 and is very comparable to Earl.

As was pointed out by someone else, Bennett could have gotten more

Earl can "lay the wood" sure, but his biggest strength is his instincts and his ability to fly from sideline to sideline. Kam was once a HUGE asset to our defense and the fear offenses had. My main point was that he depends on the other great players on our defense as much as they depend on him. I don't see how that's debatable

vin.couve12

Reaction score
randomation":w9v9xtx3 said:
Scorpion05":w9v9xtx3 said:

He is a top 5 safety probably, but you gotta get it right that he plays deep 3rd most of the time. That's 33%. Not 50% like a cover 2 safety. Folks just gotta be real about that. It gives coverage scheme literate people a damn aneurysm.

Steve2222

Reaction score
907Hawk":1u9ccvp0 said:
Steve2222":1u9ccvp0 said:
Scorpion05":1u9ccvp0 said:
Steve2222":1u9ccvp0 said:

"Michael Bennett signed a four-year, $28.5 million contract with $16 million guaranteed, according to ESPN.com. He had higher offers from two other teams but took less money to re-sign with the Seahawks."

And then he promptly threatened to hold out because he saw guys with half his ability getting paid more.

randomation

Reaction score
vin.couve12":12tc0yq5 said:
randomation":12tc0yq5 said:
Scorpion05":12tc0yq5 said:

He is a top 5 safety, but you gotta get it right that he plays deep 3rd most of the time. That's 33%. Not 50% like a cover 2 safety. Folks just gotta be real about that. It gives football literate people like me a damn aneurysm.

He covers a lot more than 33% and that's going to become an issue as he slows down which will happen. He and Sherm were the primary reason that our cover schemes worked. He played 2/3rds relied on Sherm to completely lock down 1/3. Kam primarily plays run support and TE cover as well as smacking people down. Earl does the coverage job of 1.5 to two safeties

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Steve2222":g1gs085d said:
907Hawk":g1gs085d said:
Steve2222":g1gs085d said:
Scorpion05":g1gs085d said:

And then he promptly threatened to hold out because he saw guys with half his ability getting paid more.
Same thing with Kam. Highly underpaid. ET is probably taking up the same tactic. Or not, I don't know.

Latest posts