Earl Thomas leads all NFL defensive players in PFF grade

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Pay him what?
20 million a year? Cuz I wouldn't be surprised if that's his asking price and exactly why he's not getting a new contract.

Dude is getting paid $800000 a game.

I'm sure the same people that are demanding he get paid are the same ones upset at the FO for paying dead money to Kam Chancellor.

Seymour

Reaction score
This not not a question of "does he make the team better". This is a question on how to spend money on an NFL roster and who to build around. Is Earl worth or is he 10-15X better than a solid rookie contract player say 2nd rounder? Likely not. So what premium do you put on him, also does he buy into the program? Nope, clearly not so that alone means he has to go and Pete figured that out, and at least in part that is why nothing has been offered to him.

It's too late now, put a fork in the idea of Earl in 2019.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Mad Dog":zd2t4y8e said:
I'm sure the same people that are demanding he get paid are the same ones upset at the FO for paying dead money to Kam Chancellor.

That's all hindsight. No one could have expected that to happen to Kam. You can argue that the way the contract was written up with too much guaranteed money wasn't exactly ideal, sure. But you (they) made that decision to pay him based off market value at that time and resume.

Some argue Kam was regressing and at that time not the player he use to be. Earl is currently performing at the highest level possible not just at his position, but amongst all defenders in the ENTIRE NFL. With all that, how can you argue against giving him an extension? You learn your mistakes from Kam's contract, write up one for Earl that has an out in case his career does suffer the same fate, or his performance drops off.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1w2n1n95 said:
Hawksfan78":1w2n1n95 said:
Agreed; pay the man! He does nothing but help the defense be better
Close to 30 years old, publicly contemplated retirement and was a distraction last season. No thank you. He is entering the age that he's going to start declining. I think getting what we can for him is the better move, let someone else pay him.

If he retires due to his choosing, he forfeits his contract so who cares?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":37easyy4 said:
Mad Dog":37easyy4 said:

That's all hindsight. No one could have expected that to happen to Kam. You can argue that the way the contract was written up with too much guaranteed money wasn't exactly ideal, sure. But you (they) made that decision to pay him based off market value at that time and resume.

Some argue Kam was regressing and at that time not the player he use to be. Earl is currently performing at the highest level possible not just at his position, but amongst all defenders in the ENTIRE NFL. With all that, how can you argue against giving him an extension? You learn your mistakes from Kam's contract, write up one for Earl that has an out in case his career does suffer the same fate, or his performance drops off.

The argument is simple. If he wants top money, you can’t pay him. Or you risk not being able to sign other stars and build around Wilson. Quarterback play is still the key to winning in the NFL. Not safety play. The drop off between Earl and Tedric is not as drastic as the drop off between Russ and Huntley.

If Earls asking price is reasonable for an aging vet, then pay him. I don’t think he’s being reasonable.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":2i16mehp said:

Believe me, if Pete and John changed their mind and offered Earl 12-13M a year with 40M guaranteed, he'd pull a hamstring running to sign that extension and all would be forgiven.

But you're right, this is not a discussion on whether Earl is good, we already knew that. It's a discussion on do you give him the monster extension he wants in the middle of a rebuild............because by the time HOPEFULLY we're good again in 2-3 years Earl won't be playing at this level, yet we'll still have 2-3 years on his contract.

THIS is why it doesn't make sense to me to pay him. If we were still in SB window I'd give him an extension.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3d11po5o said:
Seymour":3d11po5o said:

Believe me, if Pete and John changed their mind and offered Earl 12-13M a year with 40M guaranteed, he'd pull a hamstring running to sign that extension and all would be forgiven.

But you're right, this is not a discussion on whether Earl is good, we already knew that. It's a discussion on do you give him the monster extension he wants in the middle of a rebuild............because by the time HOPEFULLY we're good again in 2-3 years Earl won't be playing at this level, yet we'll still have 2-3 years on his contract.

THIS is why it doesn't make sense to me to pay him. If we were still in SB window I'd give him an extension.

So would Percy Harvin.

That was not my point. My point is, that ship has sailed, and Pete's authority and message is compromised as long as Earl remains here. Right now "Earl is in charge" (that is the message he's sending), and he's letting the entire world know it whenever he feels like it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":dvk4unjl said:
Sgt. Largent":dvk4unjl said:
Seymour":dvk4unjl said:

So would Percy Harvin.

That was not my point. My point is, that ship has sailed, and Pete's authority and message is compromised as long as Earl remains here. Right now "Earl is in charge" (that is the message he's sending), and he's letting the entire world know it whenever he feels like it.

And my point is, and Cliff Avril talked about this Tuesday when asked if it's too late for Earl to be here long term (Cause M-Rob was quoted as saying it's a lost cause).

Cliff said he didn't get offered an extension until December, and that these situations are fluid and day to day, for both sides.

So I disagree that Earl burned his bridge and Pete and John have already decided they're moving on from Earl in 2019. Many things can happen between now and 2019 that could have him here next year;

- He lowers his extension demands to a more modest 2-3 years at a lower number
- Pete and John change their mind and give in
- We franchise Earl because he continues to play at a Pro Bowl level, therefore retaining him gives us a chance to get that high draft pick next year

Seymour

Reaction score
None of that deals with the "inmates running the asylum" issue that Earl is putting on.

You cannot say...."you 52 players need to practice 5 days per week, but Earl just do whatever you want".

You have now further destroyed the "always compete...except Earl" mission.

Also, do we have an owner that has no intention of giving Earl another contract after his Cowboys locker room visit that was the talk of the nation last season?

Could be.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The funny part of all of this is going to be when we find out how much it costs to pay a safety that has nowhere near the impact Earl did.

Earl is the 5th highest paid safety right now (I believe).

The difference is going to be clear if we cannot find a rookie to fill that spot and have to bring in a FA.

Because the difference is going to be about $5 mil. Is Earl worth that extra $5 mil per year?

Well, given our defense hinges on him - probably.

But we are probably at the point now where feelings are hurt, egos are bruised (on both sides) and now we are in a p*ssing contest on both sides. It might be recoverable, but I highly doubt it. I think we will lament the loss though.

Seymour

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2ete1n58 said:
The funny part of all of this is going to be when we find out how much it costs to pay a safety that has nowhere near the impact Earl did.

The difference is going to be clear if we cannot find a rookie to fill that spot and have to bring in a FA.

Because the difference is going to be about $5 mil. Is Earl worth that extra $5 mil per year?

But we are probably at the point now where feelings are hurt, egos are bruised (on both sides) and now we are in a p*ssing contest on both sides. It might be recoverable, but I highly doubt it. I think we will lament the loss though.

Highlighted exactly the point I'm also making. Might be, probably not though.

Bye Earl. :3-1:

T-Hawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1hpymtu7 said:

I don't know their exact contract numbers, but I know the difference between Chancellor and McDougald's contracts is more than $5 million/year, and McDougald is definitely an adequate replacement. So, it is possible to replace a top safety for cheaper, doesn't mean it's likely, but it can happen.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2zq5osum said:

It's not the amount, it's the term.

I'm sure Pete and John would entertain paying Earl 12-13M a year, it's the Eric Berry-esque 5-6 years with 40M guaranteed that they're not going to do.

I honestly think if Earl and his agent came down on the length to 2-3 years, we'd do it. But Earl is hell bent on being the highest paid safety in the league again cause he thinks he is the best safety, and that means surpassing Berry's contract............and the only way you get to 40+M guaranteed is a long contract.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Kam is one of my all time favorite Hawks, but you could make a good argument that at least in coverage, McDougald is a pretty nice upgrade.

chris98251

Reaction score
So sign Earl to 15 million a year if he is making 10 million now and is the 5th highest paid safety, Top Ramen is expensive when feeding your family, HE IMPORTS HIS I ASSUME, and let Wilson walk is what it will come down to.

Now make that choice. Both make us better but can you afford both ?

suppaball

Reaction score
Earl is a beast that’s for sure, would love tho have him forever.

Not to derail the topic but B.Wags at #4 is sweet also

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
chris98251":3rh96u7s said:
So sign Earl to 15 million a year if he is making 10 million now and is the 5th highest paid safety, Top Ramen is expensive when feeding your family, HE IMPORTS HIS I ASSUME, and let Wilson walk is what it will come down to.

Now make that choice. Both make us better but can you afford both ?

Seahawks have a huge amount of cap space entering this off-season: 6th most in the NFL, according to overthecap.

Safety is, for whatever reason, an underpaid position in the NFL, which benefits us. We can franchise Earl for under $11 million. We can re-sign Earl to a contract that makes him the highest paid safety for slightly more than $13 million. With the annually escalating cap total, that’s not a lot compared to most other positions.

I completely agree with the Seahawks strategy of waiting to decide on Earl’s contract because there is no good reason to take on more liability before we have to, especially with the franchise tag (and its resulting savings and limited liability) on the table for next year.

ExBassGuide

Reaction score
Best practice:
#1 Obtain very good Depth!
#2 Develope good backups
#3 Trade for high draft picks as the stars enter 3rd contract! (you can see Sherm's injuries continuing!) (exclude Q.B.s)
#4 Get Buyin to the Carol's system from EVERYONE or Trade them!
#5 All contracts will hold till end of contract! If you give in to one player renegotiations the long line will start at P.C. door from then on!
#6 In Pete we trust! I'm bought it!

GO HAWKS!

chris98251

Reaction score
Where Wilson has two years on his contract you can bet we re do it next year before he is a F.A., secondly I though we also had Wags and Wright coming up, could be wrong going off memory and at work hard to spend a lot of time researching. We will also be trying to shore up holes like we did before with Avril and Bennett when they came in. On paper it may look fluid but to be competitive quickly you take advantage of that situation to leap frog the pack.

Latest posts