Earl Thomas leads all NFL defensive players in PFF grade

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seymour":1qv8h2a1 said:
Earl is the 6th highest paid, which at the end of his contract verifies he was well paid at #1.

The top 2 are Berry, and you guessed it Chancellor at $13M, and $12M (we have 2 of the top 6 paid in the entire NFL)

Guess what else??

Neither is playing right now.....but lets just stick our heads in the sand and ignore that fact because we are EMO.

You bury that much cash at one position group and you suffer somewhere else, like league worst Oline....again and again. :pukeface:

The big difference is Earl Thomas is totally healthy now and playing at the highest level.

A perfect comparison is the Patriots and FS Devin McCourty, who has a similar skill set. The Patriots made McCourty the highest paid safety in the NFL at age 28 with a 5-year deal. McCourty continues to play a high level today at age 31.

I would argue that Thomas is positioned to be even more successful going forward than McCourty is for the Patriots.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2018":uuqtluwx said:
Sgt. Largent":uuqtluwx said:
hawknation2018":uuqtluwx said:
Sgt. Largent":uuqtluwx said:
as evident that no one's trading for Earl because of his extension demands.

And let’s not forget the reported first round pick the Seahawks are requesting in a trade. It’s not either/or. Both extravagant demands are obstacles to a trade.

The fact that the Seahawks reported trade demands are so high (a first round pick) could also be evidence that they plan to keep Earl Thomas beyond this season, via the franchise tag and/or contract extension.

I don't think it's the trade demands, I think it's the extension demands.

Why wouldn't a team rolling and competing for a SB want a player like Earl to anchor their defense, especially if they're in desperate need of a safety?

Multiple picks or a 1st rounder is not a large asking price............but his extension demands are.

So no, it's not worth a 1st for a one year, or now half year rental player. But it certainly would be worth a 1st rounder if you get Earl for the next 2-6 years.

It’s a combination of the two. A first round pick is a significant ask. Being paid as the highest paid safety in the game is also a significant price tag.

The Seahawks have reportedly received trade offers, including a reported 2nd round pick from the Cowboys. Therefore, the contract demand alone is not the problem, since they have reportedly received that offer.

Maybe the reason the Cowboys are only offering a 2nd is because they know Earl is a one year rental player, again due to his extension demands knowing they don't want to pay him.

This would also explain why Earl did the bow mocking them, and said as much in his post game interview.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1hosmsbl said:
hawknation2018":1hosmsbl said:
Sgt. Largent":1hosmsbl said:
hawknation2018":1hosmsbl said:
And let’s not forget the reported first round pick the Seahawks are requesting in a trade. It’s not either/or. Both extravagant demands are obstacles to a trade.

The fact that the Seahawks reported trade demands are so high (a first round pick) could also be evidence that they plan to keep Earl Thomas beyond this season, via the franchise tag and/or contract extension.

I don't think it's the trade demands, I think it's the extension demands.

Why wouldn't a team rolling and competing for a SB want a player like Earl to anchor their defense, especially if they're in desperate need of a safety?

Multiple picks or a 1st rounder is not a large asking price............but his extension demands are.

So no, it's not worth a 1st for a one year, or now half year rental player. But it certainly would be worth a 1st rounder if you get Earl for the next 2-6 years.

It’s a combination of the two. A first round pick is a significant ask. Being paid as the highest paid safety in the game is also a significant price tag.

The Seahawks have reportedly received trade offers, including a reported 2nd round pick from the Cowboys. Therefore, the contract demand alone is not the problem, since they have reportedly received that offer.

Maybe the reason the Cowboys are only offering a 2nd is because they know Earl is a one year rental player, again due to his extension demands knowing they don't want to pay him.

This would also explain why Earl did the bow mocking them, and said as much in his post game interview.

I don’t think there is any doubt that if Earl Thomas were a free agent on the open market, then he would almost certainly receive a contract offer that would make him the highest paid safety in the game. If you disagree with that, then I believe you are almost certainly incorrect.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1uvx5ych said:
I don’t think there is any doubt that if Earl Thomas were a free agent on the open market, then he would almost certainly receive a contract offer that would make him the highest paid safety in the game. If you disagree with that, then I believe you are almost certainly incorrect.

You're changing the discussion.

Of course if Earl is a free agent he can get closer to his extension demands, because then it opens up the bidding war to the entire league, and not just one or two teams who need him now and have the pick(s) to trade.

Free agency would drive up his value immensely, because it brings in every team, and that alone would drive up his value.

So IMO all we're arguing about is percentage, the Hawk's trade demands or his extension demands. I think it's far more extension, and you think it's more asking price.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ik71ojtq said:
hawknation2018":ik71ojtq said:

You're changing the discussion.

Of course if Earl is a free agent he can get closer to his extension demands, because then it opens up the bidding war to the entire league, and not just one or two teams who need him now and have the pick(s) to trade.

Free agency would drive up his value immensely, because it brings in every team, and that alone would drive up his value.

So IMO all we're arguing about is percentage, the Hawk's trade demands or his extension demands. I think it's far more extension, and you think it's more asking price.

No, I think it’s the combination of both. The costs interact with each other, making a trade so unlikely.

The contract demands alone would not pose any kind of impediment, since many teams would be willing to make him the highest paid safety in the game. It’s the first round pick on top of that which create the unrealistic burden.

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2qf9x6qf said:
No, I think it’s the combination of both. The costs interact with each other, making a trade so unlikely.

The contract demands alone would not pose any kind of impediment, since many teams would be willing to make him the highest paid safety in the game. It’s the first round pick on top of that which create the unrealistic burden.

It's none of the above. The position group is the problem as teams are just not paying out ridiculous $$ and assets to safeties at this time. Khalil Mack for 2 first round picks and $23M proves that point.

Also...Tyrann Mathieu recently signed a 1 year $7M contract. I'd take him + cash over Squirrel myself.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seymour":dvn2hw8n said:
hawknation2018":dvn2hw8n said:

It's none of the above. The position group is the problem as teams are just not paying out ridiculous $$ and assets to safeties at this time. Khalil Mack for 2 first round picks and $23M proves that point.

Also...Tyrann Mathieu recently signed a 1 year $7M contract. I'd take him + cash over Squirrel myself.

With all due respect to the Honey Badger, a very good player, he is a not a single-high safety. He’s a nickel corner who can also play in the box at times as a safety, but he doesn’t have the speed to do what Earl Thomas or Devin McCourty do.

xray

Reaction score
The Hawks have the makings of a really good defensive backfield without Thomas. He returned and made a lot of noise .The locker room are on his side because he represents their bottom line latter. He is now an extortionist in my book. Carroll is clearly losing ground on this.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":e98y27r8 said:
Hawksfan78":e98y27r8 said:
Agreed; pay the man! He does nothing but help the defense be better
Close to 30 years old, publicly contemplated retirement and was a distraction last season. No thank you. He is entering the age that he's going to start declining. I think getting what we can for him is the better move, let someone else pay him.

Absolutely.

No, don't "pay him."

Not now.

The org already paid him and treated him very well.

Referrig to your comment in bold: NFL stands for "not for long."

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
xray":d3nnj9ke said:
The Hawks have the makings of a really good defensive backfield without Thomas. He returned and made a lot of noise .The locker room are on his side because he represents their bottom line latter. He is now an extortionist in my book. Carroll is clearly losing ground on this.

He’s been the best player on the team through three weeks of football and arguably the best player in the NFL through three weeks.

The defense would clearly be much weaker without Earl Thomas. No one else on the roster who can do what he does.

It’s hard to call him an “extortionist” when he hasn’t missed a single game, much like Walter Jones.

D

DomeHawk

I would like to know how PFF calculates that rating. I think it's probably heavily weighted for the INT's and you could make an argument that he was simply in the fortunate right place when a ball bounced his way. He didn't necessarily cause those INT's.

It's my personal belief that if we extend ET with a big guaranteed contract there's a high probability that we'll get burned and it will cost this franchise for years to come.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1di6lm4i said:
I would like to know how PFF calculates that rating. I think it's probably heavily weighted for the INT's and you could make an argument that he was simply in the fortunate right place when a ball bounced his way. He didn't necessarily cause those INT's.

It's my personal belief that if we extend ET with a big guaranteed contract there's a high probability that we'll get burned and it will cost this franchise for years to come.

It couldn’t be weighed to the INTs, since the most the most points they award on a given play is +2 (the most they deduct is -2). It’s about the consistent performance on every play of Earl Thomas.

I’m sure there is some bias involved. Thomas is the cause celebre, and non-threatening to people who hate the Seahawks due to his contested contract status. That may lead to more +2s and fewer minuses, but who knows?

It’s a subjective system inputted into objective numbers. Basically, it’s just one opinion to consider. I wish another site would make their own grades for the sake of comparison.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
In regards to your comment that re-signing Thomas would hurt the franchise for years to come, that prospect is highly unlikely. Mostly because the top safeties aren’t paid enough to beak the bank, even if he is made the highest paid at his position.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1afvi0ii said:
In regards to your comment that re-signing Thomas would hurt the franchise for years to come, that prospect is highly unlikely. Mostly because the top safeties aren’t paid enough to beak the bank, even if he is made the highest paid at his position.

The 14.3M dead cap hit on Kam this year, and 10.2M dead cap hit next year would like to disagree with you.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":4ob8m4t4 said:
hawknation2018":4ob8m4t4 said:

The 14.3M dead cap hit on Kam this year, and 10.2M dead cap hit next year would like to disagree with you.

Awwww, now that little bobo doesn't hurt. Put a band aid on that little $25 million scratch and go build a championship team. :roll:

Don't forget the $2.5M in 2020 also. :|

naholmes

Reaction score
94Smith":11gtcnjm said:
How old was Ed Reed when he was still All Pro?
Ed Reed was an All Pro at 32 and made the pro bowl at 33 & 34 but that may have been reputation based his stats were declining. He had a down year at 35, he was released and played for two different teams and then retired. The fall off happens fast.

I think it’s a good comparison. So would Earl accept a 2-3 year extension or does he think he can play longer?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
naholmes":vdkqo2d3 said:
I think it’s a good comparison. So would Earl accept a 2-3 year extension or does he think he can play longer?

I think Earl has made this answer abundantly clear.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Keep in mind that Earl hasn't ranked that high in PFF's system relative to other players. I don't think they've ever had him as the #1 safety and the past few years he was something like 6th I think.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
adeltaY":3f1neckr said:
Keep in mind that Earl hasn't ranked that high in PFF's system relative to other players. I don't think they've ever had him as the #1 safety and the past few years he was something like 6th I think.

The link in the OP shows that they had Earl Thomas ranked as the #1 safety in 2015.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Oh wow I didn't see that. I couldve sworn they had Harrison Smith and Weddle higher that year but they change their grades so often so who knows. The rest of the rankings aren't that high.

Latest posts