Earl Thomas signed to extension 4yr/$40 Million

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1yv7figp said:
Pete and John just continue to get it done. I predict Sherm signs within a month.
We are at the beginning of a 6-10 year stretch of incredible Seahawks football folks.
I agree with this.

jding

Reaction score
So glad to see this yesterday. Already made my week. Hopefully Sherm gets done soon too.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2rwzf32o said:
MysterMatt":2rwzf32o said:
I think it's better to see so many of you happy than the news itself. I mean, yes, it's a great deal for Earl and the team and all that, but it doesn't really make the team any better than it was this morning. I guess I always just knew (or had very little doubt) that this would get done so its hard to get too worked up.

I feel sorta bad about that.

Carry on.

Careful, you're developing distinct MontanaHawk05 vibes. ;)
Ack!

Popeyejones

Reaction score
lsheldon":2qbruc66 said:
The extension has ZERO impact on the 2014 cap. He will still make 4.625 million in the final year of his rookie contract.

Assuming they didn't restructure a bit as part of the extension, which I'm assuming they didn't (see below). In any case, it's a good deal for both sides, IMO. Thomas gets almost 75% guaranteed and one more big contract when he's 29, and the Hawks get him locked up.

As for not restructuring, given that Sherman make so much less, I'm guessing the plan is to extend and restructure him, with the restructure putting every $ available into the first year of the deal to put them in a better position long term once Wilson detonates the bank next year. This is definitely not a year to leave money sitting around that could go to somebody over the life of their deal.

Cartire

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1q6sq4yp said:
lsheldon":1q6sq4yp said:
The extension has ZERO impact on the 2014 cap. He will still make 4.625 million in the final year of his rookie contract.

Assuming they didn't restructure a bit as part of the extension, which I'm assuming they didn't (see below). In any case, it's a good deal for both sides, IMO. Thomas gets almost 75% guaranteed and one more big contract when he's 29, and the Hawks get him locked up.

As for not restructuring, given that Sherman make so much less, I'm guessing the plan is to extend and restructure him, with the restructure putting every $ available into the first year of the deal to put them in a better position long term once Wilson detonates the bank next year. This is definitely not a year to leave money sitting around that could go to somebody over the life of their deal.

Without question I see Sherman's contract being heavily front loaded in 2014. Hopefully washing up through the middle with maybe a heavy last year as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see a relatively small signing bonus with a large first year salary.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't like how the Hawks timed Earl's press conference today at the same time as Adam Silver's press conference.

It's gonna get totally ignored in the press.........should have bumped it to later in the day.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Throwdown":17l6bqfk said:
I didn't even know there was a press conference...

The Seattle Seahawks will hold a press conference on Tuesday in order to announce that they’ve safety Earl Thomas to a four-year contract extension. Seahawks have just called a press conference tomorrow at 11 a.m. Earl Thomas' new contract obviously the subject. — Bob Condotta

AgentDib

Reaction score
I bet most Hawk fans don't care that much about the Silver press conference. The NBA product just isn't that good these days with their max individual contract limits hurting parity.

Extensions are great things for both the players and the teams. Thomas gets security and guaranteed dollars a year early and because the organization respects him he doesn't feel like he needs to test free agency. The Seahawks get a fair discount and avoid the distraction of having an expiring contract on a key player. It's a win-win for both and I would expect to see extensions for any key players with expiring rookie contracts. If there isn't an extension then both sides do not agree on the same information.

McGruff

Reaction score
Trivia question . . . Thomas was the 2nd of two first round picks in 2010. The other was used to select LT Russell Okung.

How did Seattle acquire the Thomas pick, from what team, and what player was selected with our original pick?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
AgentDib":8v17cv9b said:
I bet most Hawk fans don't care that much about the Silver press conference. The NBA product just isn't that good these days with their max individual contract limits hurting parity.

I wasn't worried about Hawk fans being distracted, but on a national level where we might have seen a snippet of Earl's press conference or discussion will now be swallowed up with wall to wall Sterling coverage.

Cartire

Reaction score
AgentDib":rw68lvor said:
I bet most Hawk fans don't care that much about the Silver press conference. The NBA product just isn't that good these days with their max individual contract limits parity.

Hmm... I would actually think most seahawk fans are sports fans in general. Don't lump me into your monogamous sports view.

Basis4day

Reaction score
McGruff":2824bsbd said:
Trivia question . . . Thomas was the 2nd of two first round picks in 2010. The other was used to select LT Russell Okung.

How did Seattle acquire the Thomas pick, from what team, and what player was selected with our original pick?

Traded a 2009 2nd rounder to Denver. They took Alphonso Smith.

I remember being pretty angry that Denver went 6-0 in the first part of the season after that trade.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
McGruff":upq7nc8d said:

Acquired by Timmmmmmay Ruskell from the Denver Broncos in the previous year's draft when the Hawks traded an early 2nd rounder for the Broncos first round pick the following year. Do not remember who the Donkos took with that pick.

Thanks for the trade Timmmmmay......................not so fast with standing up to take too much credit though douchebag. You wouldn't have been smart enough to draft Thomas.

EDIT: Shit, Basis beat me to it. ^^^^ :( Congrats on being first brother. :D

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I loved it when Earl said the reason Seattle keeps hitting on 5th and 6th round draft picks is him. Two Nine is the one pushing this thing.

McGruff

Reaction score
Basis4day":1mgr89q1 said:
McGruff":1mgr89q1 said:

Traded a 2009 2nd rounder to Denver. They took Alphonso Smith.

I remember being pretty angry that Denver went 6-0 in the first part of the season after that trade.

And where is Alphonso Smith now?

Out of the league . . . and we beat the Broncos in the Superbowl, largely because Manning couldn't figure out how to dissect our secondary . . . :)

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Aaaaaaaaaaaaand the douchery in the national media continues. Phil Savage on NFL Insiders on the Eastcoastbiased Sports Programming Network just speculated that this contract means the Seahawks may not be able to afford Kam now. Um douchebag, Kam signed through 2017 and hi contract was done first last year. Maybe this is an example of why you never got the Browns to be any good when you were the GM there.

Get off my TV moron.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1hhk0tlg said:
I loved it when Earl said the reason Seattle keeps hitting on 5th and 6th round draft picks is him. Two Nine is the one pushing this thing.

Could it be Earl is jealous? No way Sherm, you CAN NOT SIGN for more than me!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
seedhawk":g5blgmd9 said:
Scottemojo":g5blgmd9 said:

Could it be Earl is jealous? No way Sherm, you CAN NOT SIGN for more than me!

Not at all. I think Earl is well aware that it is his ranginess that allows our corners to play the way they do, that's all. And that it is his work ethic they are copying.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
I mean Sherm was right there, I have no doubt that it was said in fun while simultaneously probably being true about them being competitive with each other.

Latest posts