ESPN front page website blasting Nathaniel Hackett

Mizak

Reaction score
Wasn’t Wilson to blame for this or was it really Hackett?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
100% Hackett, two time outs and 50 seconds left and you don't go for it on 4th and 5 with your QB who you not only gave 150M to but who was playing well and completing easy 6-7 yard passes and screens all night?

Hackett's an idiot.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Based on how the game went, I feel like it was Wilson but Hackett is taking the rap for it.

As mentioned in another thread, it looks like a play call went in to Wilson and he simply refused to snap the ball (or, as he had previously, was uncomfortable all the way down the 0 and ended up needing to take a TO).

After that, whatever happened on the sideline between Hackett and Wilson, the decision got changed. But if Wilson was really all-in about getting the first down, do I see Hackett saying no to him? I do not.

samwize77

Reaction score
100% Hackett, two time outs and 50 seconds left and you don't go for it on 4th and 5 with your QB who you not only gave 150M to but who was playing well and completing easy 6-7 yard passes and screens all night?

Hackett's an idiot.
I agree...I can't imagine why he did what he did. It was so obvious to me that in the second half....little tosses out to the flat were there for the pickings. Well....woulda shoulda coulda....

Crizilla

Reaction score
Russ leaves to go play with a rookie head coach that's what he gets. I thought Russ played well (he did). But dumb coaching at the end.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Based on how the game went, I feel like it was Wilson but Hackett is taking the rap for it.

As mentioned in another thread, it looks like a play call went in to Wilson and he simply refused to snap the ball (or, as he had previously, was uncomfortable all the way down the 0 and ended up needing to take a TO).

After that, whatever happened on the sideline between Hackett and Wilson, the decision got changed. But if Wilson was really all-in about getting the first down, do I see Hackett saying no to him? I do not.

I get that this is the narrative Hawks fans would like to believe, but it's simply not true.

Wilson threw for 340 yards, had a TD and was completing easy 4-5 yard dump offs, screens and short passes all night.

Absolutely NO reason to not think you could complete a 5 yard pass to keep that drive going to give McMannus a better shot at the winning FG. I mean, isn't that WHY you traded for Russell? To make those plays to win games?

This is on Hackett.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I get that this is the narrative Hawks fans would like to believe, but it's simply not true.

Wilson threw for 340 yards, had a TD and was completing easy 4-5 yard dump offs, screens and short passes all night.

Absolutely NO reason to not think you could complete a 5 yard pass to keep that drive going to give McMannus a better shot at the winning FG. I mean, isn't that WHY you traded for Russell? To make those plays to win games?

This is on Hackett.
What does Russell's play (the TD pass was a garbage throw that only became a TD because of an inexperienced CB, so that's not really to his credit) prior have to do with anything I said?

The Broncos lined up like they were going to put in a play. It looked exactly like a play had been called and while I originally thought they were trying to draw us offsides, that call doesn't really make sense in the situation and nobody on the line (including the QB) put in the effort to do it. They mostly looked like they weren't ready to execute... as they had the multiple other times Russ let the play clock run down to 0 or near 0.

In other words, I'm saying it looked like Hackett DID call for a play on 4th and 5 because that's what his team acted like. And then it didn't happen.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Wilson has presumably been given a fair amount of control over the offense, per Hackett. I guarantee you that Russ was in on the decision to kick that ball. Hackett wouldn't have even tried to pull rank on Wilson yet - he's been very clear about his quarterbacks authority.

Hackett is the HC, so it still lays at his feet - but Russ was in on it. We have seen him advocate before, and he didn't advocate for the ball there.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
What does Russell's play (the TD pass was a garbage throw that only became a TD because of an inexperienced CB, so that's not really to his credit) prior have to do with anything I said?

The Broncos lined up like they were going to put in a play. It looked exactly like a play had been called and while I originally thought they were trying to draw us offsides, that call doesn't really make sense in the situation and nobody on the line (including the QB) put in the effort to do it. They mostly looked like they weren't ready to execute... as they had the multiple other times Russ let the play clock run down to 0 or near 0.

In other words, I'm saying it looked like Hackett DID call for a play on 4th and 5 because that's what his team acted like. And then it didn't happen.

Because you said you thought it was Russell, and there's no evidence whatsoever that Russell's play wouldn't = a better chance at converting a 4th and 5 over attempting an impossible kick.

chrispy

Reaction score

This is on Hackett.
Hackett called a play. RCW was trying to read the D and let the clock go to 0 ...again. RCW has as much control of that offense as he wants. He went to the bench on his own, no disagreement. If you want to blame Hackett, blame him for giving RCW enough control to pull himself out. Blame him for selling the farm for the RCW trade. But there's no reasonable chain of events where RCW doesn't have every chance to run a play. They're lined up with a minute left and Russ choked. Yes, that's why you traded for Russell. ...to make those plays to win games. Hackett didn't pull Russ out. Watch it again if there's any doubt in your mind.

Jac

Reaction score
Because you said you thought it was Russell, and there's no evidence whatsoever that Russell's play wouldn't = a better chance at converting a 4th and 5 over attempting an impossible kick.

He went into the huddle with 0:43 seconds left. It didn't look like he ran the play that he called.

Hawkpower

Reaction score

This is on Hackett.
Why did Wilson let the clock run down to 20?

James in PA

Reaction score
I thought Russell and Hackett were "partners"?
Exactly what I was about to say. Why didn't Russ step in and demand that his partner let him have the ball?! You think Brady or Manning allows that?! Do you think those guys say they fully support that decision in their post game presser? These are the things that differentiate the tier 1 and tier 2 quarterbacks.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The Seahawks DEFENSE caused a LOT of confusion for both Wilson AND Hackett.
Right from the get-go our 'D' was playing tough as nails in the Red Zone, so the lackluster performances they'd witnessed from our defense & special teams in the Pre-Season games, the Broncos were not expecting the kind of 'Kick Your Butt' that they got.
I think they underestimated Clint Hurtt's new Defense; You can bet your azz that the niners won't make that same mistake next Sunday.
On another note->> I bet the Know-it-alls around the League who had GENO SMITH rated the WORST / bottom of the barrel Quarterbacks, are now plating up CROW.

keasley45

Reaction score

This is on Hackett.
There was also no reason to believe that the Broncos would see consecutive forced fumbles inside the five.

Russ could have run the play. His players were looking at him, waiting for him to snap the ball. He had a play. Formation was set. His players looked as confused as he was. And he was getting them set before and after the 15 second cutoff when the headset goes out.

toffee

Reaction score
I thought Russell and Hackett were "partners"?
Bingo, Wilson defined their relationship as equal, they are partners. In this case, two partners talked it over during a time out and collectively reached a decision.