ESPN front page website blasting Nathaniel Hackett

toffee

Reaction score
It wasn't Russ's call to OK.

Not sure where you guys got the idea Russell was going to a team where he could usurp his head coaches on field decisions. That's not how it works, anywhere.

Yeah, he could have called a time out and went over to argue his case to Hackett to go for it, but in the end it was Hackett's decision, and he messed up. Royally.
They are partners, so there is that, regardless of partners or not, did you see Russ arguing about it?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
One of the dumbest coaching decisions of all time. They had plenty of timeouts and plenty of time to get another 10-15 yards. And he CHOSE to try a 64 yarder? Beyond hilarious.
We were rolling at our seats. What a great night. 3 separate times they end up at the 1 yard line - 3 TOTAL POINTS.
The Defense made plays all damn night.

NampaHawk

Reaction score
It wasn't Russ's call to OK.

Not sure where you guys got the idea Russell was going to a team where he could usurp his head coaches on field decisions. That's not how it works, anywhere.

Yeah, he could have called a time out and went over to argue his case to Hackett to go for it, but in the end it was Hackett's decision, and he messed up. Royally.

The one thing that confused me....Russell looked deer in a headlight when he ran off the field and was taking of his helmet. No emotion in wanting to go for the 4th down that I've seen so many times over the years from Tom Brady or Aaron Rogers when they feel they should go for it on a crucial 4th down play only to be pulled to have the kicker come in? Why was there no fire in Russell to want to go for it - even IF he knew they were going to kick it?

Yes, I agree Denver did screw up - because I do think that the odds were better for Russell Wilson to make a conversion vs. the kick - but they didn't AND Russell Wilson looked perfectly ok with it - that's what is confusing to me

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
They are partners, so there is that, regardless of partners or not, did you see Russ arguing about it?

Did you ever see Russ arguing about it here on the sidelines with Pete?

No, that's not his style. He's not going to show up his HC on the field. He's gonna do the same thing he did here, tell his agent to call Adam Schefter and cry about it in the press while praising Hackett at the same time.

Dude's a phony.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
What I hate about all of this is that the press has a scapegoat to blame for their massive whiff on their narrative for how this game would end.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
The one thing that confused me....Russell looked deer in a headlight when he ran off the field and was taking of his helmet. No emotion in wanting to go for the 4th down that I've seen so many times over the years from Tom Brady or Aaron Rogers when they feel they should go for it on a crucial 4th down play only to be pulled to have the kicker come in? Why was there no fire in Russell to want to go for it - even IF he knew they were going to kick it?

Yes, I agree Denver did screw up - because I do think that the odds were better for Russell Wilson to make a conversion vs. the kick - but they didn't AND Russell Wilson looked perfectly ok with it - that's what is confusing to me

Russell has had that dead-eyed look for a couple of years now. It's almost like he is checked out of football, and is ready to move on to whatever comes after his playing career.

Last edited:

knownone

Reaction score
The mental gymnastics required to exonerate Russ of all blame must be exhausting. Of course, the coach deserves the blame for kicking it, but time management is on Russ and the coach. Hackett trusted his QB to manage the clock, and Russ let him down.

We've seen this play out several times over the years. And It continues to baffle me that Russell's inability to manage the clock somehow eludes criticism from many fans.