Ethan Pocic

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2017":jgwb2397 said:
Seymour":jgwb2397 said:
hawknation2017":jgwb2397 said:
Seymour":jgwb2397 said:
Then he should learn to evaluate talent and get it right the first time. Even the second or 3rd time would be refreshing.

Cable has some say, but Schneider and Carroll pick the players. I think they should have picked more players, signed better veteran free agents, and/or re-signed James Carpenter and Russell Okung. We are spending much less on offensive linemen than any other team.

BS.
We've been over and over this time and time again. Do some research. Cable picks his players, and has more say than anyone who plays for him.

Link?

Also, what do you mean Cable has more say than anyone who plays for him?

Cable has final say / word on the oline players that make the team. That makes his evaluation the most important. Yes, I'm sure they generally agree but it has to have Toms approval.

Schnieder "I would never pickup a lineman that Tom does not approve of".

Chapow

Reaction score
pugs1":2rd67jjd said:
hawknation2017":2rd67jjd said:
Seymour":2rd67jjd said:
Foghawk":2rd67jjd said:
But Cable said we weren't going to move guys around like last season, he learned his lesson. :lol:

Then he should learn to evaluate talent and get it right the first time. Even the second or 3rd time would be refreshing.

Cable has some say, but Schneider and Carroll pick the players. I think they should have picked more players, signed better veteran free agents, and/or re-signed James Carpenter and Russell Okung. We are spending much less on offensive linemen than any other team.

So who do we give up? Spending more on the OL means we have to let some others go. Average OLineman are getting paid a kings ransom.

At this point? Anyone not named Russell Wilson, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, Richard Sherman, or Bobby Wagner. Quite frankly, if there was any way to get a young elite Offensive Tackle, I would consider those guys too with the sole exception of Wilson.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Seymour":3r1y1m8y said:
hawknation2017":3r1y1m8y said:
Seymour":3r1y1m8y said:
hawknation2017":3r1y1m8y said:

BS.
We've been over and over this time and time again. Do some research. Cable picks his players, and has more say than anyone who plays for him.

Link?

Cable has final say / word on the oline players that make the team. That makes his evaluation the most important. Yes, I'm sure they generally agree but it has to have Toms approval.

Where are you getting that quote from? I don't recall it & quick google search turns up nothing.

massari

Reaction score
pugs1":2y05di58 said:
hawknation2017":2y05di58 said:
Seymour":2y05di58 said:
Foghawk":2y05di58 said:
But Cable said we weren't going to move guys around like last season, he learned his lesson. :lol:

So who do we give up? Spending more on the OL means we have to let some others go. Average OLineman are getting paid a kings ransom.
The under utilized Graham makes $10M per. As great as he is, they need to put that money in the OL.

In 2015 after Graham hurt his knee, the offense went of somewhat of a historic run which also might say something...

hawknation2017

Reaction score
My biggest problems with the Ethan Pocic selection were (1) Pocic doesn't have a lot of experience at any position except center, where we already have Justin Britt, (2) we could have taken Taylor Moton, who has the technique to anchor the RT position for years to come, and (3) Pocic is not an upper-echelon athlete.

George Fant could get away with having no technique at LT because he was so quick, long, and strong. Pocic is going to have to be more fundamentally solid because his athletic traits are just average. Developing those fundamentals is going to take time.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
hawknation2017":2ys5ldby said:
Seymour":2ys5ldby said:
hawknation2017":2ys5ldby said:
Seymour":2ys5ldby said:
BS.

Link?

Where are you getting that quote from? I don't recall it & quick google search turns up nothing.

Not the exact quote but here's a link to an article that talks about the influence Cable has with Schneider and PC -
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...aft-preparation-and-learning-from-navy-seals/

hawknation2017

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2576ek43 said:
hawknation2017":2576ek43 said:
Seymour":2576ek43 said:
hawknation2017":2576ek43 said:
Link?

Not the exact quote but here's a link to an article that talks about the influence Cable has with Schneider and PC -
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...aft-preparation-and-learning-from-navy-seals/

OK, no where in that article does it say Cable picks the players or that Schneider would never pick a lineman without Cable's approval. In fact, Pocic happened to be one of the linemen who never worked out with Cable before the draft.

What the article refers to is the fact that Schneider and Carroll have devoted fewer assets to the offensive line than any other team in the NFL, because they believed Cable's coaching prowess would compensate for having less talent along the offensive line.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Seymour":1gfdsk39 said:
hawknation2017":1gfdsk39 said:

He's said that multiple times going back over a year ago. I heard it on a radio interview with Schnieder.

It is also in this article about Cable.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks...72/seahawks-run-game-pass-pro-sacks-tom-cable

Thank you for the link. Schneider says in that article, "[Tom Cable] doesn't have the final say, but we would never draft somebody he doesn't think could play. You are totally spinning your wheels there."

So while the statement about Schneider not drafting someone Cable doesn't like is accurate, Schneider also makes clear that Cable is NOT the person with final say over draft decisions.

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2017":2tkzg2o9 said:
Seymour":2tkzg2o9 said:
hawknation2017":2tkzg2o9 said:

He's said that multiple times going back over a year ago. I heard it on a radio interview with Schnieder.

It is also in this article about Cable.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks...72/seahawks-run-game-pass-pro-sacks-tom-cable

Thank you for the link. Schneider says in that article, "[Tom Cable] doesn't have the final say, but we would never draft somebody he doesn't think could play. You are totally spinning your wheels there."

So while the statement about Schneider not drafting someone Cable doesn't like is accurate, Schneider also makes clear that Cable is NOT the person with final say over draft decisions.

Final say was poor wording on my part. That would be the guy on the phone...Schnieder / Pete. Point is still the same, Cable is the actual talent evaluator for his position group.

And he thinks Joeckel was among the leagues best guards last year. That tell you enough?

netskier

Reaction score
hawknation2017":10h9qad4 said:
Ifedi played alright. Part of it was who he was facing. Odhiambo was an obvious weak link, but Glowinski and Joeckel had their share of struggles too.

Pocic doesn't have a lot of experience outside of center, which made this such a curious pick. He started one game at RT in the last two years. He played right guard three years ago. He has no experience on the left side of the line.

I think they should give him a shot a LT just to see what he can do. After a couple games, he should be blocking better than Odhiambo.

I would like to see this too. I would start training him immediately at LT, and try him in a game as soon as he catches up to Odhiambo.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
I have noticed that Schneider and his staff tend to lock onto offensive linemen who are similar to players they seek to replace. Instead of getting better along the offensive line, I refer to this as "spinning our wheels."

Terry Poole was selected, in part, because he bore a striking resemblance to James Carpenter, who departed that year in free agency. The problem was Poole had all of Carpenter's problems in pass protection, but was also much less powerful and agile than Carpenter.

I think Rees Odhiambo was selected because his game was eerily similar to Alvin Bailey, who happened to leave in free agency that off-season. They wanted Odhiambo to fill the swing-tackle role. Unfortunately, Odhiambo looked uncomfortable outside of LT as a rookie. In his 2nd year, he looks physically overwhelmed by NFL competition.

Ethan Pocic's selection was a seeming attempt to repeat the lightning in a bottle pick of Justin Britt. Unfortunately, we didn't need a 2nd center, and it remains to be seen how long it will take Pocic to actually see the field.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
hawknation2017":kx5yl41z said:
I have noticed that Schneider and his staff tend to lock onto offensive linemen who are similar to players they seek to replace. Instead of getting better along the offensive line, I refer to this as "spinning our wheels."

Terry Poole was selected, in part, because he bore a striking resemblance to James Carpenter, who departed that year in free agency. The problem was Poole had all of Carpenter's problems in pass protection, but was also much less powerful and agile than Carpenter.

I think Rees Odhiambo was selected because his game was eerily similar to Alvin Bailey, who happened to leave in free agency that off-season. They wanted Odhiambo to fill the swing-tackle role. Unfortunately, Odhiambo looked uncomfortable outside of LT as a rookie. In his 2nd year, he looks physically overwhelmed by NFL competition.

Ethan Pocic's selection was a seeming attempt to repeat the lightning in a bottle pick of Justin Britt. Unfortunately, we didn't need a 2nd center, and it remains to be seen how long it will take Pocic to actually see the field.

And that's what's terrible. "Hey, lets get copies of linemen we have that aren't good to begin with." Instead of getting copies of Alvin Bailey or Carpenter, we should get clones of actual productive linemen.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Kristjan Sokoli was supposed to be the next J.R. Sweezy. And Ifedi is supposed to be like Okung. And on and on it goes.

Ifedi did not have a terrible game, but overall this strategy of trying to replicate the linemen of the very recent past hasn't paid off.

Maybe the front office needs another big personality in the room -- a linemen expert. Someone like Shaun Herock or John Wojciechowski. Something . . . anything to bring a new strategy to the table.

The Breh

Reaction score
Seymour":vfgkcgsm said:
hawknation2017":vfgkcgsm said:
Seymour":vfgkcgsm said:
hawknation2017":vfgkcgsm said:

BS.

Link?

Cable admitted after the draft that he didn't know about Pocic and was unaware they were picking him.
Maybe J and P saw he wasn't batting a good % with his picks and gave their research a shot with Pocic this year.

cymatica

Reaction score
Pocic won't solve the problem of who the line coach is