Evaluate last years off-season moves

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Now it is the off-season and we are talking about the cap, free agents and the draft lets look at what we did with our large amount of cap space last year. Here were our moves:

Retained
DT Jarran Reed
OG Jordan Simmons
CB Neiko Thorpe
OL Kahlil McKenzie
OL Mike Iupati
TE Luke Willson
WR David Moore (restricted free agent)
TE Jacob Hollister (restricted free agent)
OL Jordan Roos (exclusive rights free agent)
CB Ryan Neal (exclusive rights free agent)

Added
TE Greg Olsen
C B.J. Finney
OT Cedric Ogbuehi
OT Brandon Shell
CB Quinton Dunbar (trade)
WR Phillip Dorsett
OL Chance Warmack
DE Benson Mayowa
CB Linden Stephens (waiver claim)
S Jamal Adams

Signed Elsewhere
OT George Fant
DE Quinton Jefferson
OT Germain Ifedi
DT Al Woods

Dunlap was during the season so that is a different discussion.

So what do you think? My impression is we blew it with 3-4 exceptions.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":uo9zyeu9 said:
Now it is the off-season and we are talking about the cap, free agents and the draft lets look at what we did with our large amount of cap space last year. Here were our moves:

Retained
DT Jarran Reed
OG Jordan Simmons
CB Neiko Thorpe
OL Kahlil McKenzie
OL Mike Iupati
TE Luke Willson
WR David Moore (restricted free agent)
TE Jacob Hollister (restricted free agent)
OL Jordan Roos (exclusive rights free agent)
CB Ryan Neal (exclusive rights free agent)

Added
TE Greg Olsen
C B.J. Finney
OT Cedric Ogbuehi
OT Brandon Shell
CB Quinton Dunbar (trade)
WR Phillip Dorsett
OL Chance Warmack
DE Benson Mayowa
CB Linden Stephens (waiver claim)
S Jamal Adams

Signed Elsewhere
OT George Fant
DE Quinton Jefferson
OT Germain Ifedi
DT Al Woods

Dunlap was during the season so that is a different discussion.

So what do you think? My impression is we blew it with 3-4 exceptions.

3-4 exceptions? Your being generous.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Not their best offseason.

I'm not a fan of the Jarran Reed extension, and I'm hoping they take the out they have on it this year by trading or cutting him. He's not worth double-digit millions per year.

The Greg Olsen signing was fine in theory, but in practice, it just didn't work. Tight ends as a whole were underutilized, which contributed fairly heavily to the third down conversion difficulties they were having. Olsen would've been a fine signing for a year if the offense had run through the tight ends more.

Brandon Shell was an excellent piece to add, and Ogbuehi outperformed my expectations as a backup swing tackle. Ogbuehi has been one of the worst tackles I've ever seen play in his past stops. He made Ifedi look elite. This points to the OL system and coaching being more competent than it has in the past, to me. Shell is an absolute steal.

Ifedi had to go because he got designated the Seattle scapegoat, but for what they let him go for? He's an absolute bargain, too. Bears got a steal.

Al Woods... I really, really would've loved to have kept him football-wise, and think his play is worth his salary. He understandably ended up opting out of the season this year, so it's a wash.

Now, for Jamal Adams... his play makes the defense considerably better. He's versatile, he's tough, and he set the NFL record for DB sacks this year. My impression is slight overpay, but considering that he played through the season essentially broken, I'm gonna give it another year.

Otherwise, in the draft, they added some promising guys. Brooks, Lewis, Robinson, Swain... got Taylor waiting in the wings, we'll likely see what he has to offer this coming year. Overall, that's a nice looking draft class so far. The draft kinda saved the offseason.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Olsen was quoted in an interview last week saying that he had "buyer's remorse" for signing with Seattle.

The feeling's mutual, Greg.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Just going to post + or - or = as far as the signings or non-signings.

The team actually to me did not do a truly great job last offseason.

Retained
DT Jarran Reed + barely a plus though and onlyy b/c the draft offered little in similar talent

OG Jordan Simmons = somewhat reliable backup

CB Neiko Thorpe - he is always hurt and while a ST phenom when healthy hasn't delivered much over the last 3 seasons

OG Kahlil McKenzie - wasted signing

OG Mike Iupati - simply is too nicked up to be a reliable contributor, is playing on fumes at this point time for him to retire

TE Luke Willson + as a depth signing he's a known quantity and a good team guy but like all the other TEs poorly used in BS' schemes

WR David Moore (restricted free agent) + barely, I suspect his $ could have been more effectively used

TE Jacob Hollister (restricted free agent) - paid far too much for what he delivered

OL Jordan Roos (exclusive rights free agent) = cheap depth

CB/S Ryan Neal (exclusive rights free agent) ++ proved he was a keeper and should be kept going forward

4 + of 10

Added
TE Greg Olsen - - - a wasted signing who never played close to his advertised potential, he's got buyer's remorse for signing and we think he was an overpaid waste of resources

C B.J. Finney - - TOTAL BUST, never understood his job, perhaps was totally overrated

OT Cedric Ogbuehi + surprising solid swing tackle add

OT Brandon Shell + very good addition is a potential long term keeper

CB Quinton Dunbar (trade) = we never saw enough to fairly judge, flashed bot moments of talent and moments where he underwhelmed

WR Phillip Dorsett - wasted signing

OL Chance Warmack - opted out and seems less than interested in playing much I guess we may find out this offseason.

DE Benson Mayowa + a positive signing and worth trying to keep

CB Linden Stephens (waiver claim) + nothing special but cheap depth

S Jamal Adams +++ a potential HOF type talent who was at times game changing even if he was VERY expensive to add.
He style leads to injuries and it can only be hoped he can avoid lost time this next year.

4+ of 10

Signed Elsewhere
OT George Fant + team couldn't afford to pay him

DE Quinton Jefferson - was worth trying to keep

OT Germain Ifedi + good bye forever good riddance

DT Al Woods - was worth trying to keep

2+ of 4

Total 10 of 24 = 41.6% = Not exactly a solid offseason. Lots of wasted financial resources.

The draft in fact saved the team along with the in season additions.

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
jammerhawk":295teygm said:
Just going to post + or - or = as far as the signings or non-signings.

The team actually to me did not do a truly great job last offseason.

Retained
DT Jarran Reed + barely a plus though and onlyy b/c the draft offered little in similar talent

OG Jordan Simmons = somewhat reliable backup

CB Neiko Thorpe - he is always hurt and while a ST phenom when healthy hasn't delivered much over the last 3 seasons

OG Kahlil McKenzie - wasted signing

OG Mike Iupati - simply is too nicked up to be a reliable contributor, is playing on fumes at this point time for him to retire

TE Luke Willson + as a depth signing he's a known quantity and a good team guy but like all the other TEs poorly used in BS' schemes

WR David Moore (restricted free agent) + barely, I suspect his $ could have been more effectively used

TE Jacob Hollister (restricted free agent) - paid far too much for what he delivered

OL Jordan Roos (exclusive rights free agent) = cheap depth

CB/S Ryan Neal (exclusive rights free agent) ++ proved he was a keeper and should be kept going forward

4 + of 10

Added
TE Greg Olsen - - - a wasted signing who never played close to his advertised potential, he's got buyer's remorse for signing and we think he was an overpaid waste of resources

C B.J. Finney - - TOTAL BUST, never understood his job, perhaps was totally overrated

OT Cedric Ogbuehi + surprising solid swing tackle add

OT Brandon Shell + very good addition is a potential long term keeper

CB Quinton Dunbar (trade) = we never saw enough to fairly judge, flashed bot moments of talent and moments where he underwhelmed

WR Phillip Dorsett - wasted signing

OL Chance Warmack - opted out and seems less than interested in playing much I guess we may find out this offseason.

DE Benson Mayowa + a positive signing and worth trying to keep

CB Linden Stephens (waiver claim) + nothing special but cheap depth

S Jamal Adams +++ a potential HOF type talent who was at times game changing even if he was VERY expensive to add.
He style leads to injuries and it can only be hoped he can avoid lost time this next year.

4+ of 10

Signed Elsewhere
OT George Fant + team couldn't afford to pay him

DE Quinton Jefferson - was worth trying to keep

OT Germain Ifedi + good bye forever good riddance

DT Al Woods - was worth trying to keep

2+ of 4

Total 10 of 24 = 41.6% = Not exactly a solid offseason. Lots of wasted financial resources.

The draft in fact saved the team along with the in season additions.

Nice detailed response thanks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
the biggest turds were the Olsen and Irvin signings.

That's almost 13M, which could have gone towards a front line player, instead of two mediocre old guys who both suffered serious injuries.........cause that's what happens to old veterans. They get hurt.

I got both signings, we had no depth at either position. But that doesn't justify the signings, that indicts the FO's inability to properly draft and develop those positions. Of which we've been woeful with of late.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":35xtlvxu said:
the biggest turds were the Olsen and Irvin signings.

That's almost 13M, which could have gone towards a front line player, instead of two mediocre old guys who both suffered serious injuries.........cause that's what happens to old veterans. They get hurt.

I got both signings, we had no depth at either position. But that doesn't justify the signings, that indicts the FO's inability to properly draft and develop those positions. Of which we've been woeful with of late.

Irvin has been relatively durable throughout his career, though. Injuries are likely regardless, I wouldn't have pegged Irvin as an overly-risky signing.

Olsen, though... man, I was really hoping that'd work. I think a lot of it was the offense just going away from prominent usage of the tight ends, but disappointing nonetheless.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Finney led to Dunlap.

It would have sucked to keep Finney here but he was a steal in us getting Dunlap.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2as1e9oa said:
Finney led to Dunlap.

It would have sucked to keep Finney here but he was a steal in us getting Dunlap.

Yep. I think he was a really good signing based on process - a guy who has played well every time he gets spot duty, at both center and guard, for a relatively low price. Didn't work out, which sucks, but they still made the best of it.