Everyone reacting about the offense...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
austinslater25":814qncx7 said:
This is a game where Wilson elevates his game. He's too good not to and he's due.

Wilson is being hamstrung by three huge factors;

1. Defenses have figured out to take away his strength (creating on the run).
2. Without Harvin on the field he doesn't have a lot to work with for WR talent
3. His ultra conservative coach with his "protect the ball and let the defense make stops" philosophy

This kinda reminds me of early last year, when Pete wouldn't loosen the reins on Russell to be the dynamic playmaker that he is because of ball protection. Except now he's tightening the reins because he's afraid of turnovers, as opposed to just not trusting Russell.

Personally I think it's a mistake. This is the NFC Championship game at home, so trying to grind out another ugly ass 15-12 game against the team that's playing the best football right now is HUGE mistake. If you say you trust Russell, freaking trust him and let him throw it around.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
Scottemojo There was nothing arrogant or Condenscending about my post. I think you took it out of context.

Absolutenet: It was more than just comparing San Fran and Seattle.

Look the offense NEEDS to play better. Wilson has missed some throws. The Receivers need to separate and also catch the football. Too many third down drops.

In the first half of the game Brees had 19 yards. Most of his yardage came late in the game when we switched to a bend don't break defense in an effort to let them run out the clock with slow drives. The weather affected both QB's.

Harvin fixes a lot of issues that have been hindering us the past month or so. We saw a little of it before he got hurt. He opens up the offense and is the one guy who can separate and get open on his own. Anyone who doesn't think he helps us offensively didn't watch the beginning of the game. If Harvin plays no one will be worried about the offense going in to the super bowl.

My basic point was intended for the dozen or so posts about how we are doomed against San Fran because of our offense. Wilson has done it in the past and is capable of doing it again especially if he gets help and hopefully Harvin can play to do that. I like our chances this week.

Secondly....we won. Enjoy the ride.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Mindsink":2vmznkol said:
dopeboy206":2vmznkol said:
Bux005":2vmznkol said:
I don't think we can do worse than that offensively.

Disagree. It's San Francisco. We can do a lot worse offensively if we don't call the right plays and game plan properly plus SF defense is way better than New Orleans. They have linebackers that are elite and capable of covering and good enough to contain Wilson. I honestly don't expect to see Wilson having much success running because their LB's are fast enough to contain him with the QB spy.

Russell Wilson was 15/25 for 199 yds in SF back in week 14. And that was coming off a short week, playing against a 49er team that was playing for the playoffs as well as payback for week 2.

He'll be fine this Sunday.

Those numbers are deceiving because he really didn't do anything that game besides that Luke Wilson TD pass..How many rush yards did he get? If I could remember he was sacked a few times also for like 20-25 yards loss.

BlueTalons

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2xjd6b8s said:
dopeboy206":2xjd6b8s said:
brimsalabim":2xjd6b8s said:
We have to make them pay for using the spy. That's one less guy to account for on a running or throwing play if you don't run at him or throw at him. Bevel needs to come up with a shift or an "Omaha" like the Broncos did to help Russell read who the spy is so he can direct the play another direction. According to Chris Carter another problem is that with out Harvin and Rice we lack a true number 1 or number 2 Wide out and teams have figured that out. Golden and Baldwin are top notch 3's but they need help to get open. He also brought up that while Miller is a very tough football player he also lacks the spleed and athleticism to get himself open. We need better scheeming to get these guys lose. According to CC that's what has to happen in order to help Russell regain his mojo.

What exactly is Omaha? I hear Peyton call it alll the time but does anyone actually knows what it means?
Same as Green 18 for the Pack. Sometimes it means something, but most times it means nothing.
I think Hugh Millen this morning explained it as a dummy call to confuse the defense. As in "original play on" ('O'maha.) I was only half paying attention though...

MANUNITED23

Reaction score
Darrell Bevell must design a better game plan for Wilson against 49ers and utilize all of his skills. This is going to be the toughest game of the season by a wide margin. Offense must stay balanced, running game cannot be the only thing Hawks do well on offense because most likely it will be taken away by 49ers come this Sunday.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ecdd2z7 said:
This is the NFC Championship game at home, so trying to grind out another ugly ass 15-12 game against the team that's playing the best football right now is HUGE mistake. If you say you trust Russell, freaking trust him and let him throw it around.

I kind of agree with you on this one. If we commit to grinding it out with SF I think we'll lose. Wilson needs to also be effective in the pocket. I'm not sure if he can run around looking for receivers like he normally does on other defenses. I know that is his strength but I just can't see him being effective scrambling and looking for WR's when Aldon Smith, Justin Smith & Patrick Willis is pressuring him I can see him throwing the ball away each time or maybe even fumbling. I didn't even mention Bowman yet who is having a better year than Willis. SF is one of the few teams that can be effective with a 3 man rush and still get to the QB. That allows their LBs to spy or play in coverage.

I really believe Wilson has to be effective in the pocket in this game. I can also see him being effective if he runs north/south when there is a gap in the middle but I don't like to see him going east/west on his scrambles..

Heisenberg

Reaction score
austinslater25":54y94ix9 said:
We scored just as many points as the Niners did in much worse conditions. Factor in how conservative we went after the big lead early and you get a day like we had Saturday. Also BOTH QB's were off as the conditions were terrible. Can Wilson and the offense play better? Of Course they've obviously been off for about month. Harvin made a HUGE difference and I hope he can play. If he does the offense will be more than fine and if he doesn't I still love our chances.

This is a game where Wilson elevates his game. He's too good not to and he's due.

Everyone has a right to be a little critical but as a board fans have been way to reactive. After this plays out no one will question our offense going into the Super Bowl.

Well, the 49ers were playing the Panthers. That D is considerably better than that of NO. Carolina D is pretty much on part with SF & Seattle for that matter. I believe Seattle only got 12 points in charlotte this year. But with the seattle offense being off for a while and not in any sort of groove, it'll be a slugfest against that 49er D sunday. I cant wait, both teams can come away with a win.

hawk45

Reaction score
@OP, the Niners were on the road. They actually put some drives together where they were able to move down the field.

Our offense, in the last month, has had the benefit of turnover after turnover. Giants game, AZ game, Saints game, they get the ball in ridiculous field position and can't score. At home even. A straight points comparison doesn't mean much.

I'm not necessarily reacting to the Saints game. Against the Saints, I do think the game plan made some sense with the weather and the way the game went.

I think we can beat the Niners if our defense can once again force multiple turnovers leading to field goal, field goal, field goal and maybe 1 TD by us where Lynch busts one or we shock the world by throwing to the TE, and I think our defense is capable of that. But if our offense has to generate points off of sustained drives then Harvin being healthy is the only hope.

StoneCold

Reaction score
So much ridiculous, negative speculation in this thread. In their house we had a mediocre offensive performance. Still had the lead with minutes to go. And in the end lost by 2 freaking points. Home field advantage is worth 3 to 4 points. Game over. We win.

Boom

SC

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":7dmx7ri2 said:
austinslater25":7dmx7ri2 said:

Wilson is being hamstrung by three huge factors;

1. Defenses have figured out to take away his strength (creating on the run).
2. Without Harvin on the field he doesn't have a lot to work with for WR talent
3. His ultra conservative coach with his "protect the ball and let the defense make stops" philosophy

This kinda reminds me of early last year, when Pete wouldn't loosen the reins on Russell to be the dynamic playmaker that he is because of ball protection. Except now he's tightening the reins because he's afraid of turnovers, as opposed to just not trusting Russell.

Personally I think it's a mistake. This is the NFC Championship game at home, so trying to grind out another ugly ass 15-12 game against the team that's playing the best football right now is HUGE mistake. If you say you trust Russell, freaking trust him and let him throw it around.

WR's had a bad game but they are plenty good to be successful with or without Harvin.

This OLine just isn't good enough to handle a run heavy attack. How many times must Lynch get hit in the backfield before Bevell/PC realize that we are telegraphing our plays and need to open up the play action so they aren't pressing so hard?

The Saints game was literally us running every single down. We almost gave the game away by giving up 3 and outs against a potent NO offense.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I think we all would have liked to see more offensive production in the second half of the Saints game.

Lets take a look at each possession in the second half

1. 15:00 3rd Quarter-DRIVE TOTALS: NO 0, SEA 16, 3 plays, 6 yards, 1:34 elapsed

2. 9:59 3rd Quarter- DRIVE TOTALS: NO 0, SEA 16, 6 plays, 15 yards, 3:37 elapsed

3. 4:13 3rd Quarter- DRIVE TOTALS: NO 0, SEA 16, 3 plays, 4 yards, 1:35 elapsed

4. 13:11 4th Quater- DRIVE TOTALS: NO 8, SEA 16, 5 plays, 19 yards, 2:39 elapsed

5. 7:09 4th Quarter- DRIVE TOTALS: NO 8, SEA 16, 3 plays, 8 yards, 1:38 elapsed

6. 3:51 4th Quarter- DRIVE TOTALS: NO 8, SEA 23, 4 plays, 62 yards, 1:11 elapsed

Totals - 22 plays, 114 yards. 1 TD

It was obviously good enough to win this game, and I'm thrilled to be playing in the NFCCG. That being said, it doesn't quite fit Pete's mantra of "it's how you finish". I personally think we need improved second half offensive production to continue to advance. If we don't because of our defense, then that's just great with me too.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
SeaMeat":sukhbutc said:
Too many 3 and outs for my liking/comfort level.

Redzone performance is crappy.

Bad throws and dropped passes.

Piss poor pass protection.

Not really content with "Seahawks scored just as many points as 49er's". This offense should prove their dominance over the 49er's by improving their play. Fans have every right to be a little, or a lot, on edge.

All this are spot on, plus....the Saints didn't have any trouble passing int he 2nd half, whereas we only completed, what, 3 or 4 passes total?

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
I hope everyone got a chance to listen to Brock today. He said some interesting things regarding the offense. His main point was like rjdriver points out was that people are putting too much stock in the second half and forgetting the first half. Like I mentioned in the beginning we got way to conservative after getting a big lead and honestly its hard to blame Pete for that. The way our defense is playing can you blame him? The only reason it got close was some fluke plays. I hope we aren't as conservative next week and I doubt we will be.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
Blitzer88":112x4iu7 said:
SeaMeat":112x4iu7 said:
All this are spot on, plus....the Saints didn't have any trouble passing int he 2nd half, whereas we only completed, what, 3 or 4 passes total?

This was because we went to a form of prevent defense. We wanted them to use up a ton of clock and didn't mind giving up yards in the process knowing that they will run out of time. Its the one instance where a prevent style defense makes sense. Keep them in front of you moving between the 20's and taking a long time to do it. Brees had 19 yard when we were in a tight man press coverage.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
With this defense, the offense is good enough to win.

That's all I need.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Blitzer88":q4c94v8j said:
SeaMeat":q4c94v8j said:
Too many 3 and outs for my liking/comfort level.

Redzone performance is crappy.

Bad throws and dropped passes.

Piss poor pass protection.

Not really content with "Seahawks scored just as many points as 49er's". This offense should prove their dominance over the 49er's by improving their play. Fans have every right to be a little, or a lot, on edge.

we only threw the ball 7 times in the 2nd half, that is a problem hard to get any rhythm throwing only 7 times.

jblaze

Reaction score
I think it's likely that SF shuts down our rush offense this week given the stats Lynch had vs. NO and that tends to be the strength of SF. Also when teams have had success against us, it's been when they've shut down the run and made Wilson beat them and it's worked.

Wilson is going to have to do more than just manage the game and hand off to Lynch to win this game Sunday. I just hope Bevell and Wilson are up to the task! The conservative approach is fine but you're going to have to make some plays with your arm to win this one.

As much as we get Lynch the ball early to get him "going", we need to do the same with Wilson.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
austinslater25":2gd4wd7h said:
I hope everyone got a chance to listen to Brock today. He said some interesting things regarding the offense. His main point was like rjdriver points out was that people are putting too much stock in the second half and forgetting the first half. Like I mentioned in the beginning we got way to conservative after getting a big lead and honestly its hard to blame Pete for that. The way our defense is playing can you blame him? The only reason it got close was some fluke plays. I hope we aren't as conservative next week and I doubt we will be.

Brock is one of the most bias guy out there besides Softy. As much as he tries to sound unbias you can catch it here and there. With that said 1st half was meh..Us fans want TDs not FGs..

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2yyegu41 said:
With this defense, the offense is good enough to win.

That's all I need.
Ummm, it remains to be seen if we can "2000 Ravens & Trent Dilfer" this up. If our offense plays like it did on Saturday, we are losing. Really hope they are more effective this Sunday.