Everyone reacting about the offense...

StoneCold

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":onfgbwbz said:
onanygivensunday":onfgbwbz said:
With this defense, the offense is good enough to win.

That's all I need.
Ummm, it remains to be seen if we can "2000 Ravens & Trent Dilfer" this up. If our offense plays like it did on Saturday, we are losing. Really hope they are more effective this Sunday.

So you're saying 23 points has no chance of winning on Sunday? Really? I'll take a bet on that one.

Winner gets the Seahawks cap of their choice. I'll take a NFCC cap for myself. :)

SC

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":377lzhnc said:

That's all I need.

Good enough to beat a slightly above average Saints team at home, a Saints team that sucks on the road. But is it good enough for a battle tested Niners team that play very well on the road, especially in the playoffs?

The Niners have the defense to take Lynch away, so the question this week is this............will Pete continue his conservative offensive approach and try to grind out a 14-10 type win, or will he take the reins off the passing game and try and open it up a little in order to let Russell make plays downfield?

Cause I guarantee you SF is going to press cover our midget receivers and put 8-9 guys in the box to stop Lynch and keep Russell in the pocket.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2drwdcoh said:
onanygivensunday":2drwdcoh said:

That's all I need.

Good enough to beat a slightly above average Saints team at home, a Saints team that sucks on the road. But is it good enough for a battle tested Niners team that play very well on the road, especially in the playoffs?

The Niners have the defense to take Lynch away, so the question this week is this............will Pete continue his conservative offensive approach and try to grind out a 14-10 type win, or will he take the reins off the passing game and try and open it up a little in order to let Russell make plays downfield?

Cause I guarantee you SF is going to press cover our midget receivers and put 8-9 guys in the box to stop Lynch and keep Russell in the pocket.

Yes, our defense is good enough to beat the Niners.

But wouldn't it just be so much easier if the offense played well?

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
Roland tell me you don't think this offense is similar to Baltimore's with Dilfer. We finished top 8 in scoring and were top 4 until very late in the year. Wilson is light years ahead of where Dilfer ever was. Again this isn't rocket science. We played conservative because we could and it was smart. We've seen what Wilson can do when he has to throw to get us a lead or bring us back ie Atlanta and Washington last year and at times this year as well.

I get the "show me" attitude and they will show you this weekend.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1d8ovh0r said:
Sgt. Largent":1d8ovh0r said:
onanygivensunday":1d8ovh0r said:

That's all I need.

Yes, our defense is good enough to beat the Niners.

But wouldn't it just be so much easier if the offense played well?

Yep. Hopefully, the Niners are road weary at this point and our offense returns to the way we normally play them at home. By kicking their ass.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
dopeboy206":2c4ob1m0 said:
[
What exactly is Omaha? I hear Peyton call it alll the time but does anyone actually knows what it means?

It's a line call "trick" that QB's use to try to get defenses to show what they are going to run. Payton has mastered this. CC broke it down this morning on Mike & Milke. I'll try my best to repeat.

Against San Diego Denver lined up and Payton instructed his offense to go on the first sound after "omaha." They ran a few plays like this and eventually the D picked it up and began to jump the snap. Two things happend next. First Payton had them go on the second omaha on a third and short and sure enough the defense fired off sides as soon as they heard him yell the first omaha.
The second more important thing though was the defense shifted into the defense they had been disguising thinking that the ball was about to be snapped. Payton got a good pre snap read and audibled to a play that burnt the Chargers.

We could use this to slow down the Niner defensive line and I beleive OUR QB could do a lot with a pre snap look if he was allowed to.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1nw657pq said:
austinslater25":1nw657pq said:
This is a game where Wilson elevates his game. He's too good not to and he's due.
This kinda reminds me of early last year, when Pete wouldn't loosen the reins on Russell to be the dynamic playmaker that he is because of ball protection. Except now he's tightening the reins because he's afraid of turnovers, as opposed to just not trusting Russell.

I was talking about this the other day. This O reminds me very, very much of the first half of last year when Wilson had the reins attached to him pretty tightly. IIRC, much of .NET was clamoring for it to change. It did change and we went on a tear like we had not seen in decades (albeit against some mediocre competition). I'm thinking with our present defense, somewhere in the middle would be ideal. The competition is just getting too darn tough to have second halves like I post earlier in this forum. I don't expect perfection, but improvement would be welcome.

GO HAWKS

BlueTalons

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1x20jvmg said:
dopeboy206":1x20jvmg said:
[
What exactly is Omaha? I hear Peyton call it alll the time but does anyone actually knows what it means?

It's a line call "trick" that QB's use to try to get defenses to show what they are going to run. Payton has mastered this. CC broke it down this morning on Mike & Milke. I'll try my best to repeat.

Against San Diego Denver lined up and Payton instructed his offense to go on the first sound after "omaha." They ran a few plays like this and eventually the D picked it up and began to jump the snap. Two things happend next. First Payton had them go on the second omaha on a third and short and sure enough the defense fired off sides as soon as they heard him yell the first omaha.
The second more important thing though was the defense shifted into the defense they had been disguising thinking that the ball was about to be snapped. Payton got a good pre snap read and audibled to a play that burnt the Chargers.

We could use this to slow down the Niner defensive line and I beleive OUR QB could do a lot with a pre snap look if he was allowed to.
It was Chris Carter that broke that down on Mike & Mike on 710 and not Hugh on 950. Like I said...I was half listening...and flipping channels before I had my morning coffee! :)

hawk45

Reaction score
austinslater25":p6f5wjn8 said:
Roland tell me you don't think this offense is similar to Baltimore's with Dilfer. We finished top 8 in scoring and were top 4 until very late in the year. Wilson is light years ahead of where Dilfer ever was. Again this isn't rocket science. We played conservative because we could and it was smart. We've seen what Wilson can do when he has to throw to get us a lead or bring us back ie Atlanta and Washington last year and at times this year as well.

Okay, what game out of the last 5 has Wilson/the-passing-offense/WRs/Bevell been able to drive a long field to win a game? Heck, what game have they even been passable at converting extremely short fields due to turnovers into more than 3?

I'm not ruling out that they can do it this weekend if Harvin plays, but acting as if we're ignoring some evidence of offensive competence out there against good defenses is nuts. Right now the 2000 Ravens is EXACTLY what this team is. The defense on the field all game, handing chance after chance to a sputtering offense that mainly just kicks a field goal after going 3 and out.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
austinslater25":rnycr2fq said:

Their offense was limited by their quarterback. Ours is limited primarily by our offensive coordinator.

You predict they will "show us" this weekend? What's your offensive score prediction, then? (Also, I'm not going to count any kick/punt return TDs or points put up by our defense for the purposes of this discussion/prediction.)

How many points will our OFFENSE (offensive TDs and field goals) put up this weekend? Make your prediction.

I say 20. I desperately hope it's more.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I think by this point I am firmly on record as believing that our offense played the game we needed it to play to win under the given circumstances. They made NO play with a very long field the entire game and didn't give up a lot of points because of it. Aside from the onside kick, the best starting field position NO had all game was their own 36, but more often than not, it was their own 25 or less. Compare that to us, we were routinely starting at our own 35 or better. That's our game; it's a combination of great defense, great special teams and not giving away the football in your own end. When we're in the position we were in, we don't have to force plays to get first downs that could become turnovers. We can play a field position game and win out with our defense.

I also think we've seen enough out of our offense to know that Russell is more than capable of putting the team on his back and throwing his way to a win, if we need him to. However that is not, and has never been, our style. If we go up early and Marshawn is able to impose his will on the SF defense; expect more of the same on Sunday.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
Score prediction? Well I think its a little flawed in the fact that I don't think we will need to score a lot to win. Is that Wilson's fault? Bevell's? I think we score 24. I think the offense reverts back to what it was for 75% of the year. Efficient and scores when it needs to. Again these past few weeks for the most part they didn't need to score. They were up 16-0 and realized if they don't turn the ball over and put the Saints in a bad field position situations they win hence the conservative play calling.

If I'm wrong how did you think the offense looked early in the game? Did Harvin not open things up? I will concede that I'm more concerned if Harvin doesn't go because he fixes a lot of problems. Maybe I'm naive to think Wilson will go back to do for almost 2 years Or that Bevell will open things up like he did in the first half with Bubble screens, reverses and some deep shots against a weaker Niner secondary.

I could be wrong and I would be lying if it didn't bother me how the offense has looked at times. I do agree with Roland that its not Russell but more so Bevell/Carroll at times.

Bottom line we win on Sunday. :)

hawk45

Reaction score
CANHawk":thorjha2 said:
I also think we've seen enough out of our offense to know that Russell is more than capable of putting the team on his back and throwing his way to a win, if we need him to. .

We have not seen this in the last 5 weeks, I think due to lack of Rice/Harvin catching up with us. I think he's got a shot at throwing us to a win if Harvin plays (if necessary). Without Harvin, if it's necessary for us to throw it and SF knows this, I give us more than zero chance of being able to but it's definitely worst-case-scenario for us. Not like last year when no matter how the game was going I went into the 4th quarter knowing we had a shot with Russell passing (probably because we had a healthy Rice).

CANHawk

Reaction score
hawk45":yv5lvi1z said:
CANHawk":yv5lvi1z said:
I also think we've seen enough out of our offense to know that Russell is more than capable of putting the team on his back and throwing his way to a win, if we need him to. .

We have not seen this in the last 5 weeks, I think due to lack of Rice/Harvin catching up with us. I think he's got a shot at throwing us to a win if Harvin plays (if necessary). Without Harvin, if it's necessary for us to throw it and SF knows this, I give us more than zero chance of being able to but it's definitely worst-case-scenario for us. Not like last year when no matter how the game was going I went into the 4th quarter knowing we had a shot with Russell passing (probably because we had a healthy Rice).

You're being a little melodramatic there brah. Over the past 5 weeks there's really only been one opportunity for him to have to even try winning a game on his arm (Ari). Every other game was a convincing win, or lost in the final minutes (SF). Actually, IIRC, Russell had a pretty nice game against SF the second time. He didn't light em up or anything, but had some very nice gains through the air and protected the ball reasonably well. He wasn't the reason we lost.

I whole heartedly disagree that Russell has somehow regressed into some sort of lesser QB over the last 5 weeks. Everything is still there for him to do what he's always done. I have no concerns about beating SF in our yard again... Doubly so if Percy and KJ are full go this week.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
StoneCold":3dmdfxev said:
So you're saying 23 points has no chance of winning on Sunday? Really? I'll take a bet on that one.

Winner gets the Seahawks cap of their choice. I'll take a NFCC cap for myself. :)

SC
:roll:

If our offense plays like it did again this Sunday, we are getting 10 or 12 points. Not 23.

themunn

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":19mukmvv said:
StoneCold":19mukmvv said:

SC

If our offense plays like it did again this Sunday, we are getting 10 or 12 points. Not 23.

What makes you believe that?
The Saints have a better defense than the 49ers.
Both a better offense and defense than the 49ers

29dx1mq

Thus, we can expect SF to score less than NO's 15 points, and Seattle to score more than their 23 points.

StoneCold

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3tpkihua said:
StoneCold":3tpkihua said:

SC

U scared bro? Afraid you'll have to buy me a cap. :)

SC

seadoc30

Reaction score
It doesn't matter much if RW is 10/35, 100 yards as long as those 10 completions are on 3rd downs.

Kaeps or 49ers numbers might not be impressive as a whole, but he gets the job done on 3rd downs leading to long sustainable, time eating drives.

chet380

Reaction score
9-18 - 103 ... 13 first downs

If there is a repeat of this performance, the Hawks are in big trouble

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
themunn":r874b6gl said:
What makes you believe that?
The Saints have a better defense than the 49ers.
Both a better offense and defense than the 49ers

The 49ers actually travel well as a team. The Saints are the exact opposite of that.