Eye popping Russell Wilson stat

ludakrishna

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/mookiealexander/status/942832346096484352[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mookiealexander/status/942834514853638144[/tweet]

Just reinforces what the eyes are seeing. Mediocre in the 1st half of games.

Anthony!

Reaction score
ludakrishna":t92wnp5k said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/mookiealexander/status/942832346096484352[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mookiealexander/status/942834514853638144[/tweet]

Just reinforces what the eyes are seeing. Mediocre in the 1st half of games.

Good data but the question is how much of that is him and how much is the 15 scripted plays, no run game, bad oline, drops etc. He is part of it but far from the only issue.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Anthony's right, this isn't just Russ. This also conveniently leaves out that he's the highest rated 4th quarter passer in the league. Problem with that is that if you start slow, you're harming the team's chances to win. That's not just Russ, it's the whole offense from the playcalling to the line play.

cymatica

Reaction score
Thatm1st qtr stat tells me what most here keep saying. The team has been figured out and have not adapted. This says teams have a good idea what we will do coming into a game, and we don"t change.

I don't care if your qb starts slow, run some damn plays to warm him up, like the Eagles game. Should have at least one designed qb keeper in those 15 plays no matter what.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Variety of factors:

1) Well first it starts with Russ. Any competitor should tell you that. He needs to be sharper to start games and be the future HOF QB that he can be. That means overcoming impossible odds, not throwing balls high, etc.

2) The second is a complete lack of run game, which means defenses know to only focus on the pass. An incomplete pass leads to 2nd & 10, and a lot of long down and distances. Recipes for disaster.

3) The third is a complete lack of a game breaking receiving threat. A reliable throwing target that is almost always needed for a pass first offense. We don't have it, and we don't have the O-line to compensate for the absence of that target. Meaning Wilson has only 3-4 seconds to throw to a receiver that's most likely covered, and he's either sacked or scrambling by then

4) The fourth is simply scheme. Russell is a rhythm passer, but Bevell insists on constant long developing routes and there's really no flow to his playcalling. A great offensive coordinator would get Russell into a rhythm with short quick passes, use Jimmy Graham as a receiver to box out and get those 5-7 yard chunks. Get Baldwin frequently in space, using frequent motion so that Russ can better understand the coverage. Using more 2 RB sets with McKissic and Davis and giving Russ checkdowns when the deep option isn't there. Using more read options and QB options early to keep the defense on their toes early

All of these things could get Russell into a rhythm early and take off the pressure, where Russell is always trying to carry us on his back. So yes, Russ deserves some blame simply as a pure competitor. But we see how great he can be. He has all the tools. Sometimes I watch Qbs and I can say they have shortcomings but I truly feel Russ's greatest impediment is coaching and playcalling

TheHawkster

Reaction score
It's amazing how Russell's QB rating rises with an effective running game. Maybe we should do something about that.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
TheHawkster":2rup9ng7 said:
It's amazing how Russell's QB rating rises with an effective running game. Maybe we should do something about that.

Take your logical thinking elsewhere. Our coaching staff doesn't listen to that noise

original poster

Reaction score
Scorpion05":14a742dd said:
4) The fourth is simply scheme. Russell is a rhythm passer, but Bevell insists on constant long developing routes and there's really no flow to his playcalling. A great offensive coordinator would get Russell into a rhythm with short quick passes, use Jimmy Graham as a receiver to box out and get those 5-7 yard chunks. Get Baldwin frequently in space, using frequent motion so that Russ can better understand the coverage. Using more 2 RB sets with McKissic and Davis and giving Russ checkdowns when the deep option isn't there. Using more read options and QB options early to keep the defense on their toes early

All of these things could get Russell into a rhythm early and take off the pressure, where Russell is always trying to carry us on his back. So yes, Russ deserves some blame simply as a pure competitor. But we see how great he can be. He has all the tools. Sometimes I watch Qbs and I can say they have shortcomings but I truly feel Russ's greatest impediment is coaching and playcalling

This is absolutely spot on IMO.

The facts are there, get him in rhythm, play to their strengths and take the yards you're given.

How often does Russ have a check down option to a RB who was originally blocking in the play? Rarely, those are exactly the type of plays on 3rd and 3, 3rd and 6 etc that move the chains and keep the drives alive.