FA Question: Who would you resign?

truehawksfan

Reaction score
So, while ET has taken a lot coverage, the Hawks have several key players who will be free agents next year.

Tyler Lockett, Frank Clark, and KJ Wright are priority players this team needs to address.

We need pass rushers so, to me, Clark is a must sign.

The emergence of young WRs like Brown, Reynolds and Moore makes me pause for a second about resigning Lockett.

The wild card, tho, is Wright. The quiet leader is underrated. He just shows up to practice and just plays ball on Sunday. He's a steady performer, but did you see that hit on Stefon Diggs? I was looking for number 31 after that one.

I know we've had some bad luck when we resign players to their 3rd contract, but I think we should consider resigning KJ if we can mutually agree on a cap friendly contract.

Thoughts?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I re-sign Wright, his contract $ in a relative sense will not be that onerous. However it is a 3rd contract at position where injury is a high risk, still he's a steady Eddy and part of the core of the team. We must at least try to re-sign Clark.

To me Lockett's situation will depend a lot on this season. His health will be critical and so far he's not been that healthy over the past season plus.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I can see the Seahawks taking the approach of doing second contracts for people but not third contracts. They've been burned too much too recently. Not the players' fault necessarily, but injuries and age just catch up eventually and they make the third contract too risky. Better to part with a player a year or two early than to be saddled for a couple of years with a bad contract.

titan3131

Reaction score
Justin Coleman is the #1 priority and it ismt even close.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Frank Clark. Pass rush is so important. We let him go and we are relying too heavily on just Green. Re sign Frank, have Green developing, and draft a stud DE in a class projected to be loaded with th and the pass rush could be elite.

Fade

Reaction score
I like KJ, but he is getting old. Quem Griffin is there waiting to take his spot.

Clark & Coleman are much more more pertinent, and essential signings. They have nothing behind those guys (Leo & Nickle). Both are in their mid twenties. PRIME. Sign them.

When it comes to WRs you just don't pay them unless they are absolutely special (ADB). The QB makes the WRs not the other way around. I like Lockett, but I think Moore is a better player now, and if not now by next season he will be.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Clark deserves a new contract but imo at least he hasn't earned a max contract at his position no way . He needs to really excel this year . Green looks like the steal of the draft at DE/DT he is going to be the next great pass rusher in Seattle. KJ just turned 29 in july and he's an underrated LB .

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I'll also say Pete and John deserve a lot of credit for the Carson Green draft selections. If things stay on there current path there both probowl considerations Carson this year and Green next year.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":y3r7bf1a said:
Clark deserves a new contract but imo at least he hasn't earned a max contract at his position no way . He needs to really excel this year . Green looks like the steal of the draft at DE/DT he is going to be the next great pass rusher in Seattle. KJ just turned 29 in july and he's an underrated LB .

Agreed, not even close. Frank needs to bring it, every game, this season. He gets too quiet in games for too long.

Rat

Reaction score
Easily Clark. KJ is a good player, but unless he wants to give us a really good deal, which a player in his position absolutely shouldn't, I'd pass there, as he plays a position that is not exceptionally difficult to find replacements. If we weren't going to make a push to keep Paul Richardson, who is actually good, I'm not paying Lockett, who isn't.

ivotuk

Reaction score
All 3.

. "No e" is a legitimate threat to score any time he touches the ball. No brainer.

Frank, re-sign him and cut him loose, he's only going to get better.

KJ's a big dude and overlooked. He should have been in multiple Pro Bowls.

All 3

Tical21

Reaction score
I'd love to wait and see on Clark. I'd like to know why he vanishes for weeks at a time before I open the Brinks truck. That said, I don't think they have that luxury. They just don't have any pass rushers with any track record.

I'm not paying Lockett unless he steps up in a pretty big way this season.

I'm probably letting KJ go as well, unless Shaquem proves useful in a different role. If Griffin looks like he's going to be a good one, you don't want to block him from getting on the field.

I probably pay Coleman, unless someone cheaper steps up in that role.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Gotta' take care of KJ, period. He's showing true leadership by being there, and is playing as hard as ever.
Hope they see how Clark plays, and if he dominates, take care of him.

chris98251

Reaction score
KJ has not appeared to have lost a step yet, he also can move to the Middle if necessary, he has about 3 good years left in him I would think. The question you really have to ask is do we have cheaper in the wings ready, I think the Front office learned about keeping vets to long no matter who they are.

jmahon316

Reaction score
Tical21":46n1rzp5 said:
I'd love to wait and see on Clark. I'd like to know why he vanishes for weeks at a time before I open the Brinks truck. That said, I don't think they have that luxury. They just don't have any pass rushers with any track record.

I'm probably letting KJ go as well, unless Shaquem proves useful in a different role. If Griffin looks like he's going to be a good one, you don't want to block him from getting on the field.

I agree with the bolded completely. No one expects us to pay top dollar for a pass rusher who doesn't give his all and gives up on major plays. I saw it during the Vikings game on a 3rd down and I was SEVERELY disappointed in that. If Clark decides to get greedy with his extension, I think they'll go FA or draft one or two next draft.

ivotuk

Reaction score
jmahon316":39trmawl said:
Tical21":39trmawl said:

I agree with the bolded completely. No one expects us to pay top dollar for a pass rusher who doesn't give his all and gives up on major plays. I saw it during the Vikings game on a 3rd down and I was SEVERELY disappointed in that. If Clark decides to get greedy with his extension, I think they'll go FA or draft one or two next draft.

I saw that too after watching the game again last night. The play was still alive, and he was just standing there. Not good for a man that wants to get paid.

Tical21

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1x29ufqn said:
Gotta' take care of KJ, period. He's showing true leadership by being there, and is playing as hard as ever.
Hope they see how Clark plays, and if he dominates, take care of him.
We all like KJ. But by re-signing KJ, you're essentially keeping Shaquem on the bench for the duration of his rookie contract. Even if you can somehow find a role for both of them in the base 4-3, we only run that like 30% of the time. You're still relegating Shaquem to the bench for 70% of plays.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'm hopeful that all of these guys will have career highs in production entering the final year of their contract and looking ahead to a chance at big contracts next off-season.

I wouldn't extend any of them now unless they particularly wanted to be here and were willing to get a bit less today in exchange for stability and lower risk throughout the season. I think where we currently are it's better to stay young and hungry with more financial flexibility.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This is a question for next off season after we see all these players play this year.

- Can Clark dominate and stay productive without Bennett and Avril and being double teamed? If he shows signs of wearing down because he has to play 80% of the snaps and his sack total drops? I'm not giving him a 15M+ extension

- Can both Bobby and KJ stay healthy and show no signs of wearing down or dealing with nagging injuries as they did last year? In KJ's case, is Shaqueem ready to slide into the WIL LB spot and play well so we don't have to give KJ an extension even if he played well.

- Did Tyler get his burst back and is back to his 2016 form and stay healthy all year? Then yeah I'd like to give him an extension. But if he's still at about 80% like last year and isn't getting over the top of defenses? Then probably not.

Latest posts