Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
V

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
drdiags":1fo66pte said:
Those that hate Bevel are not going to budge. I can appreciate the effort to state the run was not an absolute given. I think the article Hugh Millen (of all people) did defending the call was an outstanding article.

But human nature is what it is. These type of plays make for great generational sports debate. Just too bad the Seahaawks have to be on the sharp end of the stick poking this event.

Personally I was not feeling toasty after seeing Brady slice/dice the defense in the 4th. It was the reason our team was afraid of leaving time on the clock (as Millen pointed out in his article stating the Seahawks were dead last the past two years in giving up the lead/pts in the 4th quarter or something like that. Go figure).

Honestly, if our secondary wasn't so beat up I'm positive the game and Brady's performance wouldn't have been remotely the same as it turned out. Opponents will always say don't make excuses but that's reality - Sherman, Earl and Chancellor were are crippled and we lost Avril, Lane, Mebane and others that I can't even remember now.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":2u3bfx2x said:
marko358":2u3bfx2x said:
Vancanhawksfan":2u3bfx2x said:
marko358":2u3bfx2x said:
My lord, will this ever end?

Oh...I didn't see the thread you made previously pointing this fact out.

Post a link...

All of these different angles were covered ad nauseum in 200 threads in the days following the game.

Bullshit.

No one mentioned that Marshawn was the last player to turn the ball over on the 1 yard line - in a championship with everything on the line - one year previously.

No one mentioned that prior to that ZERO NFL teams threw a pick from the one yard line prior to when he fumbled away possession on the 1 yard line nearly costing the Seahawks a Super Bowl.

Why...because we didn't lose that game because he got bailed out.

Everyone loves to hate on Bevell...but Bevell not only didn't make a bad call in SB49, but he may have even had justification (or at least rationale) for making the call he did.

The pass play wasn't a bad call. I believe it turned into a bad call due to the personnel grouping on the field. If he had Matthews in the slot instead of Lockette, I believe that the ball wouldn't have been intercepted. He could have even put Willson in Lockette's role and Willson is big enough that Butler doesn't knock him like he did to Lockette. It is what it is - a missed opportunity for another Superbowl ring.

OP
OP
V

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
drdiags":1ehx674c said:
Those that hate Bevel are not going to budge. I can appreciate the effort to state the run was not an absolute given. I think the article Hugh Millen (of all people) did defending the call was an outstanding article.

But human nature is what it is. These type of plays make for great generational sports debate. Just too bad the Seahaawks have to be on the sharp end of the stick poking this event.

Personally I was not feeling toasty after seeing Brady slice/dice the defense in the 4th. It was the reason our team was afraid of leaving time on the clock (as Millen pointed out in his article stating the Seahawks were dead last the past two years in giving up the lead/pts in the 4th quarter or something like that. Go figure).

EDIT: The fumble was technically not a fumble, since Lynch lost it crossing the goal line. Just following along with the what if scenario. Guess you forgot about the last TD by Seattle with Breno dancing in the back of the Endzone prior to the collapse.

Ahhh...yes. I remember.

I don't subscribe to the "what if" scenarios...I am trying to poke holes in the Bevell haters who rely on the whole "what if we ran Marshawn", or "what if we ran a fade route", or "what if we rolled Wilson out" theories.

Its really easy to be a coach with 20/20 hindsight. But there were likely very good reasons for the calls that were made. And there have been sooo many good calls the past three years for the life of me I just can't understand why he gets all the hate - unless people just simply understand that a guy isn't going to be perfect on 100% of all his play calls.

Ranker777

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":37rbypi7 said:
StoneCold":37rbypi7 said:
VanCan makes some good points, if perhaps a bit late as the issue has been belabored in many threads. That said I do find it entertaining to see the "Bevell stole my Dolly" clan getting their undies in a twist.

Well done VanCan. :thirishdrinkers:

SC

I don't want to dwell on the game because I'm so happy being a Seahawks fan even with the loss.

What I can't stand is all the Bevell hate. I despise that. People are so short-sighted.

Bevell Sucks.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":100jsjgn said:
drdiags":100jsjgn said:

EDIT: The fumble was technically not a fumble, since Lynch lost it crossing the goal line. Just following along with the what if scenario. Guess you forgot about the last TD by Seattle with Breno dancing in the back of the Endzone prior to the collapse.

Ahhh...yes. I remember.

I don't subscribe to the "what if" scenarios...I am trying to poke holes in the Bevell haters who rely on the whole "what if we ran Marshawn", or "what if we ran a fade route", or "what if we rolled Wilson out" theories.

Its really easy to be a coach with 20/20 hindsight. But there were likely very good reasons for the calls that were made. And there have been sooo many good calls the past three years for the life of me I just can't understand why he gets all the hate - unless people just simply understand that a guy isn't going to be perfect on 100% of all his play calls.

He gets all the hate because he makes too many mistakes with his play calling in the redzone. The Seahawks have pissed away way too many chances in the redzone. They settle for 3 pts or none instead of 7. That is the area that has needed consistent improvement throughout Bevell's tenure. Usually the defense bails his ass out (yes the defense thas done more to bail Bevell 's offense out than Bevell has to help the defense) but in SB49 the defense was severely devastated with injuries and he didn't help them with his play call from the 1 yard line.

OP
OP
V

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
hawkfan68":g9x7ae2a said:
Vancanhawksfan":g9x7ae2a said:
marko358":g9x7ae2a said:
Vancanhawksfan":g9x7ae2a said:
Oh...I didn't see the thread you made previously pointing this fact out.

Post a link...

All of these different angles were covered ad nauseum in 200 threads in the days following the game.

Bullshit.

No one mentioned that Marshawn was the last player to turn the ball over on the 1 yard line - in a championship with everything on the line - one year previously.

No one mentioned that prior to that ZERO NFL teams threw a pick from the one yard line prior to when he fumbled away possession on the 1 yard line nearly costing the Seahawks a Super Bowl.

Why...because we didn't lose that game because he got bailed out.

Everyone loves to hate on Bevell...but Bevell not only didn't make a bad call in SB49, but he may have even had justification (or at least rationale) for making the call he did.

The pass play wasn't a bad call. I believe it turned into a bad call due to the personnel grouping on the field. If he had Matthews in the slot instead of Lockette, I believe that the ball wouldn't have been intercepted. He could have even put Willson in Lockette's role and Willson is big enough that Butler doesn't knock him like he did to Lockette. It is what it is - a missed opportunity for another Superbowl ring.

I'm not going to disagree with you...but I'm going to play devil's advocate.

Willson had waaaay too many dropped balls on easy throws this season. And could you imagine the shitstorm if a ball deflected off of Willson's hands for an INT in the end zone. Personally I'd trust Lockette's hands more than Willson's because I'd trust a WR's hands, even the 4th string WR, more than Willson's hands.

And I'd argue that it wouldn't have mattered who was in there...NO ONE would have anticipated Butler blasting his way through and contesting the ball like he did, and Lockette is certainly more experienced than Willson. Willson would never have seen him coming either. If you rewatch the play...it isn't like Lockette saw Butler coming to contest the ball and he pussied out on imposing himself on the ball. Lockette got blasted off the ball like someone who had no idea the defender was even going to be there - he was blindsided by him. Anyone can get knocked off the ball like that if they don't see the defender coming.

There's no way any receiver we put in there would have seen Butler coming...Butler was on the other side of both Browner and Kearse and ran to the point of contact without ever being in the line of sight of Lockette (or Russell).

Now that we've experienced this play you can bet our receivers will always be aware now...but before that time, nah.

And if you watch the slant play they ran against New Orleans in 2013 its easy to see why a receiver might not anticipate the CB contesting the ball like Butler did (especially a rookie CB).

Again...hindsight is 20/20.

marko358

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":3k0ruasz said:
Personally I'd trust Lockette's hands

Your 4th string receiver who had 11 receptions for the entire season? With the Super Bowl on the line? No wonder you keep defending Bevell. You apparently love to get cute too with everything on the line.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":1wuo1smt said:
...was by Marshawn Lynch in the 2013 NFC Championship game against the San Francisco 49ers.

He fumbled the handoff on 4th and 1 with 8:26 to go in the fourth quarter (he just dropped it - wasn't even hit!). The Seahawks just took the lead 20-17 on a ridiculous 35 yard pass play on 4th and 7 five mins earlier. And they needed this TD to put a nail in the 49ers coffin.

8 minutes later the 49ers are on the Seahawks 18 yard line and throwing into the end zone attempting a game winning touchdown. If not for Sherman making a miracle tip Marshawn Lynch would have been the greatest scapegoat (as opposed to GOAT) to all the haters that seem to be ganging up on Pete and Darryl now.

Instead...Marshawn is a beloved member of the 2013 Seahawks championship team whose defense and coaches bailed him out.

Does anyone see the irony - never mind incredible good fortune - at all?

WOW!, Now I see why Darryl Bevell took Beastmode out of that final play.............'Cept, IMHO?, he's still a dumbass for doing it on that particular play.

StoneCold

Reaction score
marko358":ubjzt8zo said:
Vancanhawksfan":ubjzt8zo said:

Your 4th string receiver who had 11 receptions for the entire season? With the Super Bowl on the line? No wonder you keep defending Bevell. You apparently love to get cute too with everything on the line.

Lockette was not the primary receiver on that play, just one of the options.

SC

OP
OP
V

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
marko358":1q6rlrug said:
Vancanhawksfan":1q6rlrug said:

Instead of selective hearing why don't you quote the whole sentence buddy. I said - as a devil's advocate - that I'd trust Lockette more than Willson's hands in response to the other poster saying he'd prefer Willson, .

I guess reading comprehension is a challenge for you? No wonder you're mad at everyone and everything.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I don't really think an overwhelming majority of the 12s hate Bev. I really don't. In the moments after the loss, sure, the OC position made for a handy scapegoat. Fans like Pete so much that they don't want to turn their wrath on him, so they attacked the next guy down the line. Coping mechanism. You'll still see it on this board, insecure fans who won't let it go, continue to pile on, and even design avatars and sigs which I consider less than respectful to the Hawks coaching staff and Nation of 12s as a whole. But they do have a right to do that. By and large, though, the gnashing of teeth has subsided, a sense of normalcy and positivity is returning to our fanbase, we'll kiss and make up and then we'll go about our business of lending our support and positive vibes to the pursuit of bringing home the Lombardi in less than 11 months from, all places, Santa Clara!

marko358

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":1yrms7wk said:
marko358":1yrms7wk said:
Instead of selective hearing why don't you quote the whole sentence buddy. I said - as a devil's advocate - that I'd trust Lockette more than Willson's hands in response to the other poster saying he'd prefer Willson, dipshit.

I guess reading comprehension is a challenge for you? No wonder you're mad at everyone and everything.

LOL. Simmer down sparky. You're the one adding new pro-Bevell threads like it's going out of style while swearing in here.

OP
OP
V

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2dsd861b said:
Vancanhawksfan":2dsd861b said:
...was by Marshawn Lynch in the 2013 NFC Championship game against the San Francisco 49ers.

He fumbled the handoff on 4th and 1 with 8:26 to go in the fourth quarter (he just dropped it - wasn't even hit!). The Seahawks just took the lead 20-17 on a ridiculous 35 yard pass play on 4th and 7 five mins earlier. And they needed this TD to put a nail in the 49ers coffin.

8 minutes later the 49ers are on the Seahawks 18 yard line and throwing into the end zone attempting a game winning touchdown. If not for Sherman making a miracle tip Marshawn Lynch would have been the greatest scapegoat (as opposed to GOAT) to all the haters that seem to be ganging up on Pete and Darryl now.

Instead...Marshawn is a beloved member of the 2013 Seahawks championship team whose defense and coaches bailed him out.

Does anyone see the irony - never mind incredible good fortune - at all?

WOW!, Now I see why Darryl Bevell took Beastmode out of that final play.............'Cept, IMHO?, he's still a dumbass for doing it on that particular play.

Siggghhh...you people are so myopic (never mind have poor reading comprehension)

This comment was made in response to all the naysayers who state that the play call was a high risk one. It wasn't...and as a response I merely pointed out that running Marshawn was, based on historical statistics, a riskier one. I've never suggested I wouldn't run Marshawn in this situation - I just merely inferred that the choice isn't so straightforward.

Based on your logic you'd run Marshawn every single offensive play, right? And that's why you're not an offensive coordinator in the NFL.

An offense cannot be successful if it becomes 100% completely predictable. Everyone on the planet figured Marshawn was getting the ball, and you know what? Marshawn doesn't always score in that situation, he doesn't always hold onto the ball in that situation, and passing has just as high a success rate (if not more this season) as running Marshawn in that situation.

So Bevell was mixing the play calls up like he has all season. You can't run Marshawn 100% of the time otherwise he gets his shit pushed in.

drewjov11

Reaction score
In all fairness, some of us never wanted him to be hired as the OC. That play call just further cemented his place in my mind.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
GOOD LORD VANCAN......Nobody else is talking about the play anymore. WHY DO YOU KEEP BRINGING IT UP???? THIS IS TWO THREADS IN TWO FRIGGEN DAYS.

JUST STOP AND LET IT GO!!!!!

OP
OP
V

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
marko358":g06zbt92 said:
Vancanhawksfan":g06zbt92 said:
marko358":g06zbt92 said:
Instead of selective hearing why don't you quote the whole sentence buddy. I said - as a devil's advocate - that I'd trust Lockette more than Willson's hands in response to the other poster saying he'd prefer Willson, dipshit.

LOL. Simmer down sparky. You're the one adding new pro-Bevell threads like it's going out of style while swearing in here.

Ohhh kaaay Maaarkooooo...and you're the one polluting the fanbase (never mind direct responses to me) with your irrational negativity and Bevell hatred. Critiquing a team and its coaching staff may serve a purpose when one's opinion is based on sound logic. But when it comes to this play "fans" like you who are "lynching" Bevell with retarded rationale do nothing but fuel dissension and rifts among the fanbase which can carry on through the media and even into the team in the long run.

I've been a fan of the Vancouver Canucks for 30 years, and that fan base has run out more good players and goalies out of town that turn out to be world-beaters elsewhere than you can count because their logic and expectations are beyond rational. We just chased out the best goalie in their history last year and now their goaltending is a shambles.

And I see this kind of flaw happening here in the case of Bevell. Does he make calls sometimes that deserve criticism? Sure...sometimes. But Bevell is the architect of the number one rushing and ball control offense in the NFL this year and have one of the best quick strike, long play scoring teams in the NFL and you chumps stay stupid things like "Bevell didn't want Lynch to get the Super Bowl MVP so they let Russell pass for the game winner" and the like.

You want to run him out of town and all I can say is careful for what you wish for, because the alternative could be disastrous.

OP
OP
V

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":2dr7umg2 said:
GOOD LORD VANCAN......Nobody else is talking about the play anymore. WHY DO YOU KEEP BRINGING IT UP???? THIS IS TWO THREADS IN TWO FRIGGEN DAYS.

JUST STOP AND LET IT GO!!!!!

Omigod...two whole threads in two different days (with two different points made). Oh...the horror.

OP
OP
V

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
drewjov11":1xnbgq60 said:
In all fairness, some of us never wanted him to be hired as the OC. That play call just further cemented his place in my mind.

If you didn't want to hire him then fair enough.

But why would that specific play call cement that in your mind? There was nothing wrong with the play call.

Status
Not open for further replies.