Falcons, Jets, and 49ers all interested in Quinn

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
el capitan":2jzub748 said:
DavidSeven":2jzub748 said:
el capitan":2jzub748 said:
So basically his options are keep coaching one of the greatest defenses of all time with the chance to win multiple Superbowls or coach the Falcons or Jets........

Marvin Lewis, Rex Ryan, and Mike Smith were all defensive assistants for the 2000 Ravens. Those guys have since made a lot of money as HCs in this league while that Ravens team is no longer together. You take your opportunities when you get them.

I appreciate that these opportunities don't come along that often but how rare is it that you get the opportunity to coach a unit that may go down as one of, if not the best to ever play the game. In my eyes this defense has already surpassed the 2000 Ravens just by winning the Super Bowl AND leading the league in yards & points allowed two years running. With three more wins it will be official.
HC jobs will always be there as long as this defense is playing at an elite level and challenging for championships, the opportunity he has with us right now is of the once in a generation kind.

Vacancies will continue to come up, but there's good reason to strike while the iron is hot and move when your stock is at its highest. If he lives long enough to see himself become the villain, the head coaching jobs might actually not always be there.

If he wants to stay then that's awesome, but I expect that most in his position would jump at the chance to move up in the world, and I don't blame them.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
I have to wonder if the Niners are interviewing the DCs of their division rivals just to add a little more value to said DCs so other teams will be more tempted to take them away. Too conspiracy-theorist? lol It's the whole "don't eat at a restaurant if there are no cars in the parking lot" thing. They're just parking cars.

lsheldon

Reaction score
There are no signs there is any friction with the coaching staff or management on this team. I just can't see Quinn wanting to leave with a first round bye, home field advantage locked up, and a better than average chance at adding a second straight Super Bowl to the resume. Even for a head coaching job. (knock on wood)...

Marvin49

Reaction score
lsheldon":1m88g8k0 said:
There are no signs there is any friction with the coaching staff or management on this team. I just can't see Quinn wanting to leave with a first round bye, home field advantage locked up, and a better than average chance at adding a second straight Super Bowl to the resume. Even for a head coaching job. (knock on wood)...

It happens. HC make ALOT more money than Coordinators and there is a lot more prestige.

pehawk

Reaction score
If Quinn we're the type to just be happy as a DC, he most likely wouldn't be a very good DC. You need to be ultra competitive to be a professional coach. OF COURSE he'd take a HC job. I wouldn't trust him if he didn't.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
lsheldon":1wvpn42v said:

If I said to you "if you move to San Francisco, you not only get to be in charge, but you get to make twice as much money."

You'd say no? Hell no. There are coordinators out there like Dick LeBeau and Monte Kiffin that are perfectly content with being a coordinator........but those are old guys that had their chances.

Young guys like Quinn? They want their shot, and they're going to take it.

edogg23

Reaction score
Clayton always says that I'd the Seahawks make it back to the superbowl again, their assistants will all be safe because no team wants to wait that long.

Largent80

Reaction score
At least the niners have a lot of decent players. Quinn wouldn't be going into a full rebuild.

I just have to wonder why they would not want an established NFL coach after what they just went through.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1lvyd0do said:
lsheldon":1lvyd0do said:

If I said to you "if you move to San Francisco, you not only get to be in charge, but you get to make twice as much money."

You'd say no? Hell no. There are coordinators out there like Dick LeBeau and Monte Kiffin that are perfectly content with being a coordinator........but those are old guys that had their chances.

Young guys like Quinn? They want their shot, and they're going to take it.

I can honestly say I would decline. I lived for 14 miserable years in Chico California. Moved there from Everett to take a job and I wouldn't go back there no how, no way, and certainly not to a cesspool like San Francisco. At least in my current life.

I were an NFL DC, particularly on this organization with a chance for a 2nd ring in another 2 months, and as you say a young guy like Quinn? I think I would go for that better than average chance to give one more year to go to and win another big game.

But that's just me..

jacobsod

Reaction score
pehawk":111alq09 said:
If Quinn we're the type to just be happy as a DC, he most likely wouldn't be a very good DC. You need to be ultra competitive to be a professional coach. OF COURSE he'd take a HC job. I wouldn't trust him if he didn't.

Good point! Never thought of it that way.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
49ers interest in Quinn and Bowles is probably window dressing. Fangio is staying in the NFL. You either promote Fangio to HC or pair him with an OC (e.g. Gase, McDaniels) or a "culture" guy (e.g. Mora, Tomsula). York's comments about wanting his new HC to be a "teacher" suggests to me that he's more interested in a culture guy than a scheme guy.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Pete's not going to coach forever.

Would you prefer to be the head coach for a crap organization, or wait for a shot at becoming hc of a class organization like the Seahawks?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ivotuk":1k3oj3c3 said:

Would you prefer to be the head coach for a crap organization, or wait for a shot at becoming hc of a class organization like the Seahawks?

Fair question, but Pete's arguably the youngest 63 year old on the planet. He could conceivably coach another 10 years if he wanted to, maybe longer.

He doesn't seem like the kind of coach that's going to walk away from the game, he's too driven. So if your'e Quinn, are you going to hang around for another 5-10 years for a job that may or may not be there for you? Like I said before, this is the hottest Quinn might ever get as a candidate, why wouldn't he go for it in the right situation?

pehawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":26lo64z0 said:

And that's exactly why Cable isn't going anywhere. There's a reason his title and salary is what it is.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
pehawk":7qbgsv19 said:
ivotuk":7qbgsv19 said:

And that's exactly why Cable isn't going anywhere. There's a reason his title and salary is what it is.

Don't say that. :(

Hawks46

Reaction score
pehawk":3hbx4852 said:
Agree with goth girl...the 49ers aren't really interested in Quinn. They're just tweaking their rival(s) nipples a bit. The 49ers will bring an offensive guy to try and salvage Kap.

Yup. I can't see them bringing a defensive coach in when they have to figure out what they have in Kap. Even though the Niners signed him to a team friendly contract, you've invested a lot of time and energy into the thinking that he's your franchise QB. A former defensive coordinator isn't going to optimize that honestly.

Atlanta looks to be the best starting gig to be honest. They already have an incredible offense, but they need someone to get that defense in shape, and I think Quinn is the best fit. They run a 4-3, so they have most of the personnel in place for what Quinn likes to do.

On the surface, the Niners gig should be good, but I'd be leary of jumping into a situation where the guy before you was the most winning coach in his first 3 years in NFL history, then got let go. So how badly do you have to piss someone off to get fired there ? It's not like the on field product was unsatisfactory there. Plus, the OL is starting to degrade, the middle of your defense is either aging or injury prone, and you have big questions at QB. No thanks.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Marvin49":2avklui3 said:
pehawk":2avklui3 said:
Agree with goth girl...the 49ers aren't really interested in Quinn. They're just tweaking their rival(s) nipples a bit. The 49ers will bring an offensive guy to try and salvage Kap.

...and interviewing Bowles too...another NFC West opponent. That's probably more about Rooney Rule though.

Bowles has been in conversations about HC jobs since last year. He's a legit cantidate. Kinda sad ,but instituting a rule like the Rooney rule is the equivalent of affirmative action. The guy can be a legit hire, but everyone thinks it's because he's black. Kinda why I don't like those rules, but the point remains: Bowles will be a HC, if not this year then next year. He's done a fantastic job with all the injuries he's had to deal with.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Hawks46":dntycxom said:
pehawk":dntycxom said:

Yup. I can't see them bringing a defensive coach in when they have to figure out what they have in Kap. Even though the Niners signed him to a team friendly contract, you've invested a lot of time and energy into the thinking that he's your franchise QB. A former defensive coordinator isn't going to optimize that honestly.

Atlanta looks to be the best starting gig to be honest. They already have an incredible offense, but they need someone to get that defense in shape, and I think Quinn is the best fit. They run a 4-3, so they have most of the personnel in place for what Quinn likes to do.

On the surface, the Niners gig should be good, but I'd be leary of jumping into a situation where the guy before you was the most winning coach in his first 3 years in NFL history, then got let go. So how badly do you have to piss someone off to get fired there ? It's not like the on field product was unsatisfactory there. Plus, the OL is starting to degrade, the middle of your defense is either aging or injury prone, and you have big questions at QB. No thanks.

Belichick and Pete both did pretty well developing young QBs, but I can see your point generally speaking.

I also think Atlanta would be a better fit than the '9ers or Jets if for no other reason than the ownership/management situation. I'd hate to see Quinn end up working in a dysfunctional environment.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Honestly, I could see the 49ers taking a run at Bevell. They're all convinced down there that Russ is an inferior version of Sack-or-pick and refuse to give Russ or Pete their due in Russ's development, so I could see them overvaluing Bevell.