Field Issues....

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":2khjaenv said:
chris98251":2khjaenv said:
Field was a disaster, clumps coming up all over, the stage was small at halftime and most the field was being used for the show and further damaged, crews were out replacing divots before teams came out. Yeah great condition, spikes would have to be that of a pole climber to not slip, Manning slipping when setting up on that one fumble. I will say both teams had the same problem though, everyone slip and sliding.

Meanwhile...

Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows · 11h11 hours ago
Von Miller said he changed cleats but the Levi's Stadium field was "great." "As the game went on, I just needed a little more support."

Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN · 13h13 hours ago
Panthers coach Ron Rivera said he had no problems with the Levi's Stadium field conditions. He called it "outstanding."

People think when they see little chunks of grass or a player slipping here and there because their cleats are too short that the "field is a disaster".

Its freakin' grass people. Its what the game was meant to be played on. Levi's has had issues with the turf, no question, but now every sigle time somebody falls down its WAY, WAY overblown.

Field held up.

The NFL took over the stadium a MONTH ago. That was a field put in by George Toma.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/richeisen/status/696358194822541312[/tweet]

Sure, the field was great for the Super Bowl, but that field and the professionals that installed it won't be around after they tear the field out and replace it before next season. Where are the quotes from players that play on the field that York pays for?

Marvin49

Reaction score
mrt144":xv2c6ia5 said:
Bob Loblaw":xv2c6ia5 said:
The MVP of the game thought the field was great, Brandon McManus said the field was awesome. Of course as the game goes in an that dewy ocean air makes the field a little damp but if you watched Micheal Ore slide like six feet back not s piece of the field came up. It was just naturally damp. That field and the entire stadium was as beautiful as any super bowl ever held. Just wish the Niners had been playing in it. It gives you hope that there is a real fan experience there. That is can be loud and rowdy. I was impressed with the stadium a fans last night

Dewy Ocean Air? That's santa clara dude. More like layer of vehicular smog.

?

Dude....you really have no clue where Santa Clara is, do you? Its less than a mile from the Bay genius.

Lsnb zps7xuiubdf

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":2wgtb999 said:
Marvin49":2wgtb999 said:
chris98251":2wgtb999 said:
Field was a disaster, clumps coming up all over, the stage was small at halftime and most the field was being used for the show and further damaged, crews were out replacing divots before teams came out. Yeah great condition, spikes would have to be that of a pole climber to not slip, Manning slipping when setting up on that one fumble. I will say both teams had the same problem though, everyone slip and sliding.

Meanwhile...

Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows · 11h11 hours ago
Von Miller said he changed cleats but the Levi's Stadium field was "great." "As the game went on, I just needed a little more support."

Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN · 13h13 hours ago
Panthers coach Ron Rivera said he had no problems with the Levi's Stadium field conditions. He called it "outstanding."

People think when they see little chunks of grass or a player slipping here and there because their cleats are too short that the "field is a disaster".

Its freakin' grass people. Its what the game was meant to be played on. Levi's has had issues with the turf, no question, but now every sigle time somebody falls down its WAY, WAY overblown.

Field held up.

The NFL took over the stadium a MONTH ago. That was a field put in by George Toma.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/richeisen/status/696358194822541312[/tweet]

Sure, the field was great for the Super Bowl, but that field and the professionals that installed it won't be around after they tear the field out and replace it before next season. Where are the quotes from players that play on the field that York pays for?

...and that was pertinent ot the conversation about field conditions on SB Sunday how?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Why are you so defensive about crappy field conditions? Do you really think its some condemnation of your club, you?

I mean it was obvious in watching the game that it was an issue early on. Panthers changed cleats according to the broadcast.

Because a couple players/coaches didn't feel like addressing it doesn't confirm what was pretty obvious to the naked eye watching the game.

and how is field turf not safe? You do understand this isn't the artificial rugs on concrete of the 1980s?

Laloosh

Reaction score
angry-video-game-nerd.jpg

Sorry, that's all I've got.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1ax4d6yy said:
Why are you so defensive about crappy field conditions? Do you really think its some condemnation of your club, you?

I mean it was obvious in watching the game that it was an issue early on. Panthers changed cleats according to the broadcast.

Because a couple players/coaches didn't feel like addressing it doesn't confirm what was pretty obvious to the naked eye watching the game.

Honestly? Dunno. Just bugs me.

Some of the players had footing issues, but honestly I think it's because they tried to get away with a short cleat...and that is the case in particular on the Oher video. Notice the turf never moves. He just slid along the top.

It was just slippery. As soon as the cleats were changed it was fine.

I kinda just think the tale of the turf at Levis has become a legend run wild. They certainly had trouble last year but it was much, much better this year. I keep seeing videos of guys like Wilson sliding with captions of "oh, the turf at Levis almost got him" when if you look at the play he shoved his knee into the ground. Theres the "sinkhole" myth and the ravens kicker which is BS.

I guess you can say I'm kinda tired of the narrative...especially the one that paints a picture of Field Turf being better than grass.

Marvin49

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":12f4e4xq said:
Marvin49":12f4e4xq said:
No freakin' way to Field Turf. The grass game up a bit here and there during the game, but players and coaches said afterward that the field was great. They just needed a longer cleat.

Somehow, somewhere some people (on this forum in particular) got in in their head that somehow field turf was safer.

I think that's ludicrous. Field Turf doesn't give nearly as well as natural grass.

Another poster here said something about "cheap" fields...that's not even close to being true. Grass fields are MORE EXPENSIVE then Field Turf. Why? Because the field will be resodded several times a year. Teams that elect to go with grass fields do so at great expense because they think its BETTER and safer that artificial turf. It is NOT because its cheaper. Not by a longshot.

C480x270 32

You can always be counted on Pouches.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
But field turf is better than grass in many ways.

This isn't the artificial turf of the 1980s

Marvin49

Reaction score
Uncle Si":30tclinv said:
But field turf is better than grass in many ways.

This isn't the artificial turf of the 1980s

..No. Its not. :D

Marvin49

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2ym1cwib said:
Marvin49":2ym1cwib said:
peachesenregalia":2ym1cwib said:
Marvin49":2ym1cwib said:
No freakin' way to Field Turf. The grass game up a bit here and there during the game, but players and coaches said afterward that the field was great. They just needed a longer cleat.

Somehow, somewhere some people (on this forum in particular) got in in their head that somehow field turf was safer.

I think that's ludicrous. Field Turf doesn't give nearly as well as natural grass.

Another poster here said something about "cheap" fields...that's not even close to being true. Grass fields are MORE EXPENSIVE then Field Turf. Why? Because the field will be resodded several times a year. Teams that elect to go with grass fields do so at great expense because they think its BETTER and safer that artificial turf. It is NOT because its cheaper. Not by a longshot.

C480x270 32

You can always be counted on Pouches.

Well you know what they say, Martin - if the shoe fits. (it does)

Your constant white-knighting of anything 49ers is comical. I'm merely enhancing it by drawing parallels to that oor bastard in the picture and his infamous "LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!" rant. You're welcome.

It's all good Pouches.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Largent80":epeej07o said:
While grass is what the nfl was designed to be played on, part of the reason is THERE WAS NO FIELD TURF !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now there is and it is vastly superior to grass, it's not even arguable.

What? Fieldturf is absolute crap. It is brutal on your knees and oh yeah could possibly give you cancer.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":1cuz5cnq said:
Largent80":1cuz5cnq said:
While grass is what the nfl was designed to be played on, part of the reason is THERE WAS NO FIELD TURF !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now there is and it is vastly superior to grass, it's not even arguable.

What? Fieldturf is absolute crap. It is brutal on your knees and oh yeah could possibly give you cancer.

Everything causes cancer.

As far as how it treats your knees, you see plenty of injuries on grass or turf (Then there are death traps like FedEx).

253hawk

Reaction score
I've played on FT for a little over 10 years now and the only injuries I've had from it are the friction burns. Knees and ankles are fine and no cancer yet.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
253hawk":1736k14e said:
I've played on FT for a little over 10 years now and the only injuries I've had from it are the friction burns. Knees and ankles are fine and no cancer yet.

And even now, good field turf avoids burns. I think many people confuse field turf with artificial turf.

A proper field turf surface has nearly 1 foot of packed clay/sand mixture (or crushed stone) with anywhere from 4-6 inch long blades of "grass" (you can go taller for the outdoor surfaces) that your body would contact. It is placed on a forgiving surface (often thick sheets of synthetic board with black dirt/class 4 or more synthetic surfaces over). Your body is far from those surfaces.

Legion_CrossSec2.png

http://www.fieldturf.com/en/artific...ews/fieldturf-proved-safer-than-natural-grass

Injuries are at worst equal to (and in many studies less than grass) and the cost efficiency isn't even close.

The cancer connection is still unfounded. There does seem to be some suspect connection between soccer goalies and cancer, however. This is being studied, but many see it as coincidence.

253hawk

Reaction score
In the fall and winter I wear my Byron Maxwell long sleeves, but it's too hot in the spring and summer so I just deal with the burns, take cold showers, and stock up on antibiotic ointment. Maybe I need those fancy stick-on forearm tampons like the pros wear.

Those rubber pellets are the worst part. They get in your eyes, your ears, your nose, your mouth, your ass crack...they end up all over your car and in your house. It's like bringing sand home from the beach.

Oh hey, what's going on at C-Link...

BzACREk

NINEster

Reaction score
If the Seahawks played in a dome, 12s on this forum would be arguing against open stadiums.

It's all about the Hawks, what they do and how they do it.

Guaranteed if the Hawks played on grass, their fans would be champions of the field as well.

Simple bias.

Most amusing to me is that the 49ers hosted a ton of postseason games in Candlestick Park where Levis would be Augusta by comparison, and not one opposing team ever complained about it.

Seahawk staff should hire equipment guys off those old Cowboys, Packers, and Giants staff. Next year the Hawks will be unstoppable on the road. :thirishdrinkers:

kobebryant

Reaction score
I get going with natural grass in California; and the grass fields in Florida and Arizona are often the highest rated in the NFL.

But the field conditions in Chicago, Washington, Pittsburgh, and Carolina come late fall and through the winter are often terrible, dangerous, and disgraceful for a billion dollar entity such as the NFL. There are certain times when it feels like the NFLPA should really make a big deal about it.

That crap in DC may have cost RG3 his career and cost Chris Clemons his ACL. Why in the world would you trade a ton for RG3 and then not give him the fastest and smoothest track possible?

We've seen games in Pittsburgh border on unplayable because of the mud, and John Carlson crack his head on that frozen crap in Chicago in the playoffs.

I prefer grass in climates that should have it, but the climates that can't produce a good product should move to fieldturf.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
kobebryant":3fi58d8s said:
I get going with natural grass in California; and the grass fields in Florida and Arizona are often the highest rated in the NFL.

But the field conditions in Chicago, Washington, Pittsburgh, and Carolina come late fall and through the winter are often terrible, dangerous, and disgraceful for a billion dollar entity such as the NFL. There are certain times when it feels like the NFLPA should really make a big deal about it.

That crap in DC may have cost RG3 his career and cost Chris Clemons his ACL. Why in the world would you trade a ton for RG3 and then not give him the fastest and smoothest track possible?

We've seen games in Pittsburgh border on unplayable because of the mud, and John Carlson crack his head on that frozen crap in Chicago in the playoffs.

I prefer grass in climates that should have it, but the climates that can't produce a good product should move to fieldturf.

The climate in Seattle is nothing like the climates of Chicago, Washington. Pittsburgh, or Carolina. Comparing Seattle to them is pointless.

Latest posts