Field Issues....

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":2oqvrve8 said:
kobebryant":2oqvrve8 said:
If nostalgia and history was reason enough to stay in the same building most of the league would be playing in a dump, sad to say.

Fair enough. Speed is relative to the other guys on the field anyway.

As someone who was a basketball player and sprinter and too skinny to have the onions to step on the gridiron, I'm admittedly biased towards hard and fast surfaces.

Couldn't agree more with that top line.

I LOVED Candlestick...but it never escaped my attention that the place was a dump. It was a boondogle since the day it was built and only got worse with age.

What I LOVED about Candlestick was the history in those walls. All of the games that took place there. Monday Night games. Playoff Games. NFC Championship games.

SF fans will feel similarly about Levis, but it needs to get some pelts on the wall. A SB? A coming National Championship Game? Those help, but what they REALLY need is some playoff wins in those walls. Sadly (for Niner fans anyway), that might be aways away.

Many Niner fans see the line between winning at Candlestick/Losing at Levi's. Obviously, it's never that simple.

Many 9ers fans should be reminded that compared to '04 and '05 in Candlestick the last two years in Levis have been glorious. :)

chris98251

Reaction score
Barakas":5c6cxvwc said:
Most of you 49er AND Seahawk fans on this thread need to get a damn job!! Whiny little biotches...all of you.

*slinking back to work*

Silly man, they are at work....................... :)

Tech Worlds

Reaction score

Laloosh

Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... uper-bowl/

“I’m an 87-year-old man and I’ve been in this game for 74 years and been to 50 Super Bowls,” Toma said, via Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area. “And I thought this was the second-best sod we’ve had at a Super Bowl.”

Toma said the turf in Miami for a rainy Super Bowl XLI, which was also won by a Peyton Manning-quarterbacked team, was the only one better than the one the Broncos and Panthers played on last Sunday. Toma said that players are “hard-headed” about which cleats to wear and that “all they had to do was their change cleats” to get better footing.

Laloosh

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":onggn0gu said:
Laloosh":onggn0gu said:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/10/george-toma-sod-on-levis-field-was-second-best-weve-had-at-a-super-bowl/

“I’m an 87-year-old man and I’ve been in this game for 74 years and been to 50 Super Bowls,” Toma said, via Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area. “And I thought this was the second-best sod we’ve had at a Super Bowl.”

Toma said the turf in Miami for a rainy Super Bowl XLI, which was also won by a Peyton Manning-quarterbacked team, was the only one better than the one the Broncos and Panthers played on last Sunday. Toma said that players are “hard-headed” about which cleats to wear and that “all they had to do was their change cleats” to get better footing.

There you have it. The Wizard of Sod has spoken. Nothing like the word of a senile old man to prove a point.
lol, probably knows more about it than me.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Laloosh":2e11mluv said:
peachesenregalia":2e11mluv said:
Laloosh":2e11mluv said:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/10/george-toma-sod-on-levis-field-was-second-best-weve-had-at-a-super-bowl/

There you have it. The Wizard of Sod has spoken. Nothing like the word of a senile old man to prove a point.

And much less about it than the players continually slipping on the field.

Maulbert

Reaction score
hawknation2016":275q0l7v said:
Laloosh":275q0l7v said:
peachesenregalia":275q0l7v said:

And much less about it than the players continually slipping on the field.

"It's not my fault, tons of other people @#$&ed up."

May I introduce you to Occam's Razor, sir?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
That field was shit. I don't care about it's past, I don't care about it's caretaker, I don't care about it's niner fans. I could see chunks of turf popping up from the first snap.

I'm not sad about it at all, so don't get me wrong. The Panthers used a shit field to their advantage to win vs the Hawks, so losing, at least in part, because of one, just feels right.

But the field was still shit. Don't get me wrong, I don't think they even need to change it. But when your screen is full of cleat divots, trying to pretend the field is somehow great, like the NFL dude in charge is doing, is a bunch of bullshit.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":1098u311 said:
FlyHawksFly":1098u311 said:
Marvin49":1098u311 said:
FlyHawksFly":1098u311 said:
Ok
Actually it had nothing to do with dampness, and you clinging to that excuse is hilarious. The reason why you would get that effect of skating is because the sod was compacted and rolled too much. Hard pack sod reacts that way, not a damp surface other wise you would see skating like that all over the NFL on rainy days...especially in place with field turf.

Ya know what? I'll buy that.

Either way, that is NOT the "field coming up in chunks" BS thats been stated all over the internet. That's false.

It is still a major indictment on the field.

Its an indictment on the SB grounds crew.

The grass at Levis was fine all year (with the notable exception of the Ravens kicker who stepped on a seam and the sod slid sideways...IE, not a sinkhole even tho from some angles thats what it looks like).

This looks like a sinkhole...but you can see that it slides sideways even in THIS angle.

Slip00

Just to be clear, I'm not saying "hey, no worries...everythings cool!!". THAT is NOT acceptable. The sod shouldn't split at the seam like that. Thats dangerous.

...but that was pretty much the ONLY issue with the field all year. Some quote the Russel Wilson slide, but he stuck his cleat into the sod before the slide. Whats the expectation there...is it supposed to give and kick up chunks or is it supposed to hold fast? Which is it? It looked much more to me that he slid at an awkward angle with an approaching defender and his cleat stuck in the grass.

I guess its just the "turf monster at Levis" thing that just bugs me. The first year was a nightmare. No argument from me. Now its MUCH better, tho the overuse of the stadium can become an issue at times.

Its just taken on a life of its own at this point so anytime ANYTHING happens on theat field even if its completely normal, it's reported as "Turf monster at Levis again".

There is too much sand under the grass at Levi's. It is impossible to keep that much sand wet underneath the grass with the drainage system they have installed. What they have is like putting grass on top of dry beach sand when they need to have it like wet packed sand. They need to figure out a way to keep ALL the sand under the grass wet. Their drainage system just works too well.

GeekHawk

Reaction score