Finally Re-Watched It (or, Veta Beats the Horse)

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Lymon: I crap twice a day so my fiber level is obviously fine.

Sioux: Did I once say "everything good happens because of Russell's ability to scramble" as you state I did? No I did not yet you attribute that to me. I said and I believe that his legs cover some of Bevell's flaws. There's a difference. A really big difference.
Did kearly say Pete owed the fans an apology anywhere in his post? No he did not. Did he say he wanted the coaching staff to "be contrite and remorseful" as you put it anywhere in his post? No he did not.
If you're going to direct outrage at fellow posters, you might want to use actual statements they make to do so rather than putting words in people's mouths to fit your agenda.

Lastly I will say this: it's doubtful you were here back around '06 when the Hawks went to their first Super Bowl but I will let you know that there were posters here with feelings much like yours that said "In Ruskell We Trust". That didn't work out so well. I sincerely do not believe Pete is anywhere near as flawed as Ruskell, but he is fallible and myself and many other fans believe his trust in Bevell is ill-founded. I sincerely hope it doesn't cost the Hawks another win in the Super Bowl as I and others believe it did in this most recent one.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2520b8z1 said:

Seeing as you're still complaining about '06/Ruskell,...maybe twice is not enough?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3lsbljep said:

Sioux: Did I once say "everything good happens because of Russell's ability to scramble" as you state I did? No I did not yet you attribute that to me. I said and I believe that his legs cover some of Bevell's flaws. There's a difference. A really big difference.
Did kearly say Pete owed the fans an apology anywhere in his post? No he did not. Did he say he wanted the coaching staff to "be contrite and remorseful" as you put it anywhere in his post? No he did not.
If you're going to direct outrage at fellow posters, you might want to use actual statements they make to do so rather than putting words in people's mouths to fit your agenda.

Lastly I will say this: it's doubtful you were here back around '06 when the Hawks went to their first Super Bowl but I will let you know that there were posters here with feelings much like yours that said "In Ruskell We Trust". That didn't work out so well. I sincerely do not believe Pete is anywhere near as flawed as Ruskell, but he is fallible and myself and many other fans believe his trust in Bevell is ill-founded. I sincerely hope it doesn't cost the Hawks another win in the Super Bowl as I and others believe it did in this most recent one.

I thought a paraphrase instead of a direct quote would be sufficient. You state that Russell's ability to scramble covers up some of Bevell's flaws. You're really not saying much here because I guess any QB in the league could make a play that wasn't going anywhere work with an above-average athletic achievement. On the flip side of the coin, though, Bevell and Russell have a great working relationship in the read offense that has shown extreme growth. I expect that to continue to manifest itself.

And go ahead and sit back and be pessimistic about the personnel that the Seahawks currently employ. Harken back to Ruskell and take the glass-half-full bent if that's your modus operandi. I just know without a shadow of a doubt that these are the most prosperous times Seahawks fans have enjoyed and will continue to enjoy. I'm all in with this coaching staff and I don't think I'd be too far off base in saying most 12s share that belief.

justafan

Reaction score
I never thought the play was a case of being overly cute.It was a basic slant play that every team worth a damn should be able to complete.
Even with Kearse not getting out there you have a QB who is elite with a 1 on 1 play against an undrafted CB,even Lockett should be able to win that matchup.It was wide open middle of the field and every elite QB in the league would have loved to be in that situation.
I think people remember the last play and forget about Brady ripping us apart in the 4th qtr or that we had a stroke of luck to be down on the 5 yd line.
Just like ATL they remember the last 30 seconds and forget how badly we were outclassed in the 1st half and we were lucky to even be in that game.
GB out played us and we managed to pull it out.This time the Pats owned the 4th qtr and we just couldnt do it this time.

OP
OP
V

Vetamur

Reaction score
man..this thread got sort of ...mean spirited. Never meant for it to get that way. We all love our Hawks, and all love football.. so I guess I understand but...

Anyway, one more time on the anti-Bevell-ism... I dont think Bevell is an 8 or above on 1 to 10..but I think he is good at what he is asked to do. Just like a lot of the players who maybe arent really awesome at their position on the whole, but are really good at doing what the Seahawks ask them to do.

I wrote it earlier, but I dont know how many co ordinators could put together a top 10 offence with the restrictions he has: redesign the offense midseason, use only UDFA or walk on WRs, 1 5th round TE and then UDFA or street free agent TEs, a street free agent FB.. there are holes in Bevells game but hopefully some get addressed and hopefully the talent level rises a bit by late next season.

Anyway, more than anything I had to tell myself about a play call...the original post was cathartic.

On to next season and seeing the end of that game in my dreams for the next couple decades.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Vetamur":lg7m8b0j said:
man..this thread got sort of ...mean spirited. Never meant for it to get that way. We all love our Hawks, and all love football.. so I guess I understand but...

Anyway, one more time on the anti-Bevell-ism... I dont think Bevell is an 8 or above on 1 to 10..but I think he is good at what he is asked to do. Just like a lot of the players who maybe arent really awesome at their position on the whole, but are really good at doing what the Seahawks ask them to do.

I wrote it earlier, but I dont know how many co ordinators could put together a top 10 offence with the restrictions he has: redesign the offense midseason, use only UDFA or walk on WRs, 1 5th round TE and then UDFA or street free agent TEs, a street free agent FB.. there are holes in Bevells game but hopefully some get addressed and hopefully the talent level rises a bit by late next season.

Anyway, more than anything I had to tell myself about a play call...the original post was cathartic.

On to next season and seeing the end of that game in my dreams for the next couple decades.

I appreciate that you are not involved in some referendum on others fandom. Too many on this board are involved in that, which is why well intentioned threads about things like Bevell get so mean spirited.

Rainger

Reaction score
Exittium":umiwlmqb said:
Ya know at this point, I've gotten over the loss. I don't blame anyone I love the effort given by everyone.

I've become harder to like the NFL. (Love my hawks, but hate the NFL) And the Media
THIS: :13:

NYCoug

Reaction score
Thanks for the perspective, Ross. I really appreciate your posts and the thought process behind them.

Human nature is to blame yourself, others, etc. for things that don't go your way. Look at the Packers, they fired an ST coach and Bostick for their roles in the loss to Seattle in the NFL Championship Game. A lot of people love that kind of stuff because it speaks to accountability, and people love that word and everything that comes along with it.

Which is why it makes sense to me that a lot of people are upset with the way Pete and his staff handled the loss to New England. People aren't used to Pete's approach where heads don't roll, and the same people who many feel lost us the game, are all brought back. It's unconventional, different, but it's the way Pete is in life and it's that way of life that has brought him so much success and happiness in this life.

We shall see which way works out better in the long run. The Green Bay method, which is to appease the fans and hold everyone "accountable" by canning them, or the Seattle method, which is to keep on moving forward, realizing that human beings make mistakes and that other humans (Butler) do great things sometimes, and just turning the page and moving on with life.

My philosophy in life (not that it matters, nor should anyone give two defacations about it) has always been the latter, so my money is on Pete's way of thinking, the human way, coming out on top.

They could have not re-signed Lockette, given Kearse an original round tender (which probably would have led to his departure), and fired Bevell and a lot of people would have been pumped! Yeah, heads roll! Instead, Pete and JS have moved forward, already snagged Graham, and are going to keep this train in motion. We shall see how it works for scapegoat city aka the land of the cheeseheads. Personally, I hope that GB's special teams are even worse next year. That would be true poetic justice, with Lockette catching the Super Bowl 50 winning TD on a beautifully designed play call from Bevell. If only it were that easy.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
NYCoug":orggrd4p said:
Thanks for the perspective, Ross. I really appreciate your posts and the thought process behind them.

Human nature is to blame yourself, others, etc. for things that don't go your way. Look at the Packers, they fired an ST coach and Bostick for their roles in the loss to Seattle in the NFL Championship Game. A lot of people love that kind of stuff because it speaks to accountability, and people love that word and everything that comes along with it.

Which is why it makes sense to me that a lot of people are upset with the way Pete and his staff handled the loss to New England. People aren't used to Pete's approach where heads don't roll, and the same people who many feel lost us the game, are all brought back. It's unconventional, different, but it's the way Pete is in life and it's that way of life that has brought him so much success and happiness in this life.

We shall see which way works out better in the long run. The Green Bay method, which is to appease the fans and hold everyone "accountable" by canning them, or the Seattle method, which is to keep on moving forward, realizing that human beings make mistakes and that other humans (Butler) do great things sometimes, and just turning the page and moving on with life.

My philosophy in life (not that it matters, nor should anyone give two defacations about it) has always been the latter, so my money is on Pete's way of thinking, the human way, coming out on top.

They could have not re-signed Lockette, given Kearse an original round tender (which probably would have led to his departure), and fired Bevell and a lot of people would have been pumped! Yeah, heads roll! Instead, Pete and JS have moved forward, already snagged Graham, and are going to keep this train in motion. We shall see how it works for scapegoat city aka the land of the cheeseheads. Personally, I hope that GB's special teams are even worse next year. That would be true poetic justice, with Lockette catching the Super Bowl 50 winning TD on a beautifully designed play call from Bevell. If only it were that easy.

Love it. Great post.

Largent80

Reaction score
I think if it comes down to the last play again, we line up like we are doing the slant and bootleg Russ for the win, then everyone will forget about 1 play out of hundreds just to get there.

After that first Ram game and 2 losses in a row, to accomplish what they did was amazing if you ask me.

Decimation

Reaction score
On the bright side our window hasn't shut and we're still contenders to get back to the big game.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Largent80":3tkqdbyr said:
I think if it comes down to the last play again, we line up like we are doing the slant and bootleg Russ for the win, then everyone will forget about 1 play out of hundreds just to get there.

After that first Ram game and 2 losses in a row, to accomplish what they did was amazing if you ask me.

I like the idea for the play call, Rob. You know that, of course, in an alternate universe to your scenario though, the 'Hawks run the ball and Marshawn gets stuffed as the Hawks lose. Immediately, America and the 12th Man alike yell, "They should have passed! How do you not throw it to the 6'7" Tight End with 15 touchdowns on the season!!! How do you run there?! How do you NOT pass?! "

Well said as well, Decimation.

kearly

Reaction score
NYCoug":2xqyquy6 said:
They could have not re-signed Lockette, given Kearse an original round tender (which probably would have led to his departure), and fired Bevell and a lot of people would have been pumped! Yeah, heads roll! Instead, Pete and JS have moved forward, already snagged Graham, and are going to keep this train in motion.

I thought Green Bay was kind of silly for firing their ST coach and cutting the TE who goofed on the onside kick. I definitely think it is a good thing that Pete doesn't fire guys for making one mistake.

My only little quibble, really on a side-tangent, was what you said regarding Kearse. Kearse was our most productive WR in the playoffs and it wasn't close. He even had an incredible catch to give Seattle an 88% win probability at the end of the SB. He'd be the last guy to get let go because of performance, even with some nasty drops, he still had a very good postseason.

Funny how that's all we think about as Seahawks fans, yet Packers fans have totally forgotten that Jordy Nelson had something like 4 brutal drops in his SB win while catching other passes for a ton of yards.

Our WR group is really hurting for legit deep threats right now. Kearse is a good one, and after that our next best deep threat is probably Baldwin, who only gets open deep on scramble drills. I'm not saying Kearse is great, but he's hugely under-rated at .net and would leave a big hole on the offense if he left right now. He is Wilson's go-to guy on the deep pass.

The Hawks definitely need to get another deep ball ace before they let Kearse go, and I don't think that player is on the roster right now. Richardson looked lost tracking the deep ball (and he's hurt), Norwood bobbles everything, Lockette is a ST guy, Baldwin is a slot guy, and Matthews is probably still a CFL guy. Definitely need to add a Mike Wallace type to our WR group before I'd feel like letting Kearse walk for peanuts would be a sane maneuver.

NYCoug

Reaction score
I absolutely love Jermaine Kearse as a Seahawk, Kip, and I'd even be fine with the 'Hawks paying him the 2.4 mil, even if they don't pull a Jeron Johnson and force him down to a lower #. I just included him because he's caught a decent amount of grief for not being able to handle Browner on that fateful play. More than a few people were upset with the 'Hawks even throwing him a tender. I love the guy and feel that when he's your #4 weapon, he can be pretty damn lethal. Not many dime corners can contain a guy like Jermaine, just look at '13/'14 when he saw more favorable match ups since Golden was able to hold down a starting spot.

I think #15 has a lot to prove this season, and I believe he will. Sorry for not getting my feelings about Jermaine across clearer in the post you referred to, kearly. I think we're in agreement about him here actually.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
NYCoug":2r8cko0f said:
Largent80":2r8cko0f said:

I like the idea for the play call, Rob. You know that, of course, in an alternate universe to your scenario though, the 'Hawks run the ball and Marshawn gets stuffed as the Hawks lose. Immediately, America and the 12th Man alike yell, "They should have passed! How do you not throw it to the 6'7" Tight End with 15 touchdowns on the season!!! How do you run there?! How do you NOT pass?! "
I said to the Mrs. after 'Shawn went down at the one "give it him again, and 2 more times if necessary" and I would've stood by that. Still do.
The most maddening thing about the whole scenario is that this team prides itself on being more physical than its opponents and being a run first team. To not give it to Beast in that situation is to go 'out of character' and as kearly put it, " You don't try to outscheme Bill Belichick when you have the physically superior team".

Decimation":2r8cko0f said:
On the bright side our window hasn't shut and we're still contenders to get back to the big game.
I agree, but with this little nag in the back of my head that there will be ugly fallout from "that" play in the locker room. I think it will be one of Pete's biggest challenges as a coach though I think he will come through with flying colors because of his positivity and the goodwill he's earned with the players. This team certainly has the talent to compete for a championship for the next 5+ years.

Agree with many here that this team badly needs a field stretcher at WR. Devin Smith is my choice.

NYCoug

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3ly94mf7 said:
NYCoug":3ly94mf7 said:
Largent80":3ly94mf7 said:

Well said as well, Decimation.
I said to the Mrs. after he went down at the one "give it him again, and 2 more times if necessary" and I would've stood by that.

I did the same, hawksfansinceday1. I was at the Big Toaster aka our new little house of horrors, sitting next to Eli aka tooshort from .Net and we both wanted a run there.

After I had a mini-meltdown in stadium, which lasted about 5 to 10 minutes, Eli talked me down from the ledge and i realized that it was what it was, and that is what it is. I'll compare it to a girlfriend cheating, in the seconds/minutes/hours/days after, you'd probably want to kill both parties involved. However, after thinking it all through, you realize that it is what it is, it's not worth ruining your life over, and you move forward. Looking back on it, you'll always hate it (like the playcall), but the true champions in life brush it off and keep it moving on to bigger and better things.

Weaker teams would let that one play define them and they'd crumble. Luckily, I am sure that the Seahawks aren't like those weaker teams.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
NYCoug":1zivjrha said:
hawksfansinceday1":1zivjrha said:
I said to the Mrs. after he went down at the one "give it him again, and 2 more times if necessary" and I would've stood by that.

I did the same, hawksfansinceday1. I was at the Big Toaster aka our new little house of horrors, sitting next to Eli aka tooshort from .Net and we both wanted a run there.

After I had a mini-meltdown in stadium, which lasted about 5 to 10 minutes, Eli talked me down from the ledge and i realized that it was what it was, and that is what it is. I'll compare it to a girlfriend cheating, in the seconds/minutes/hours/days after, you'd probably want to kill both parties involved. However, after thinking it all through, you realize that it is what it is, it's not worth ruining your life over, and you move forward. Looking back on it, you'll always hate it (like the playcall), but the true champions in life brush it off and keep it moving on to bigger and better things.

Weaker teams would let that one play define them and they'd crumble. Luckily, I am sure that the Seahawks aren't like those weaker teams.
VERY well said and an excellent analogy with the cheating gf. It is after all entertainment first and foremost no matter how much Hawk blue you bleed. All about perspective my man.
My Mrs. asked me the other day if the Seahawks are still going to be good this next year, and I said "absolutely hon".

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I know Kearse might be hometown heron to some of you and I know he made a Tyree catch and the gw vs GB but ....Kearse was a major let down and showed his true colors as nothing more than a 3rd or 4th wr. Still hoping we improve at the wr position for next season. I still believe feed the beast and its back to back titles. At least try it once and then get creative...or a fake and Wilson runs it in...

Mick063

Reaction score
So much word salad to vindicate a horrible call.

Lynch would have scored, or at a minimum, left another play to attempt a score. The team ran a crap load of time off the clock before they threw the interception. Time was never an issue, holding on to the ball was.

If we are going to go there....the defense, the blame goes heavily upon the lack of pass rush. The secondary gets way too much credit (good or bad) for the overall success (or failure) of the defense. Seattle has never been a dominant defense without a pass rush.