Financial Consequences For Kam If a 10 Week Holdout?

AgentDib

Reaction score
Cartire":1sdsfxvu said:
Apparently they are free to sign right after the settlement is given out. I thought they were suppose to wait until healthy too, but Turbin signed with another team just after 1 week.
That's a good point. I'm pretty sure the six week adder is in the latest CBA, but perhaps the waiting period is just for the team that releases the player in order to avoid roster shenanigans. On a sidenote, it looks like Turbin may get a chance to compete for the starting job in Cleveland when he comes back.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
CPHawk":1dfa7v71 said:
At some point you have to just admit you made a mistake, and show up. I'm not seeing why we should pay him a dime more, given the fact he already cost us a game.

That's what the Front Office has done. Forget this BUM, move on!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Meeker":1rttl1z4 said:
Also is likely banking on the Seahawks forgiving the fines...which they won't, not 100%.

I read somewhere that they have offered to forgive his fines. Which is basically giving him the very amount he's been holding out for, about a million.

It's ridiculous. Just by missing camp, Kam deprived himself of a greater amount than the raise he's been seeking from the Seahawks.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3cdkz8wh said:
Meeker":3cdkz8wh said:
Also is likely banking on the Seahawks forgiving the fines...which they won't, not 100%.

I read somewhere that they have offered to forgive his fines. Which is basically giving him the very amount he's been holding out for, about a million.

It's ridiculous. Just by missing camp, Kam deprived himself of a greater amount than the raise he's been seeking from the Seahawks.

I think that was when they were $900,000.00 apart. Which was a good gesture by the FO . The Bum didn't realize they were trying to save him face. This would get him on the field, he could get into game shape with little consequence to Team and Fans. Just selfish!

Cartire

Reaction score
RiverDog":23xoovq9 said:
NewJerseyHawk":23xoovq9 said:
I'll keep posting this because it's the only logic behind it.....he's not healthy and is putting at risk his future contracts because if he shows up for a physical and cannot perform at the level we are used to, he's going to be asked to take a paycut next year.

He also doesn't get paid for missing time or game checks as well, so it's not like if he shows up, doesn't pass a physical and landed on the PUP list, that he would get paid anyway. I don't think he gets those game checks, unless he actually plays in a game. So whether he's at home on his recliner healing up, or in Seattle getting a daily checkup on his progress at the Seahawks facility doesn't matter.

Seattle is not going to trade him, they will let him heal up, sit out vs playing here and being at 65 to 70% and him perhaps helping or perhaps not helping on game day.

I agree with all of that except I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of a trade. I agree that it's unlikely, but if Kam is still sitting out in Week 11, we'd be foolish not to at least consider the possibility.

I'm hearing some rumblings that the locker room is starting to turn back towards Kam. Our coaches have a big enough problem trying to win back the player's confidence after the debacle in SB 49. If we get blown out or if we lose due to some sort of controversial decision similar to last week, we could be in real trouble.

Why would be foolish to not consider the possibility? We get everything back and Kam gets nothing. If we trade him, Kam wins too. If we dont, its like he was never here and there is no cap hits from him. Let him sit and think about what hes done.

Rocket

Reaction score
Cartire":2m70fzq7 said:
This is what confused me so much.

How can this be about money, when hes willing to give up more money then hes asking for? Hes willing to lose $5 mil this year for some more guaranteed money next year? The amount he wants next year guaranteed isnt even $5 mil. I just dont get it at all.
It's simple... Initially he got bad advice and he began the holdout. Now it's about "giving up". Kam isn't the kind of person who would intentionally give up, even if he's worse off than he was when he started.
I'm sure it's a principle thing for Kam.

I also suggest that people look at what parts of Kam's "lost" money are also lost by his agent. The agent must have been deeply involved in Kam's decision from the start.

RiverDog

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":2o085bw9 said:
RiverDog":2o085bw9 said:
NewJerseyHawk":2o085bw9 said:
I'll keep posting this because it's the only logic behind it.....he's not healthy and is putting at risk his future contracts because if he shows up for a physical and cannot perform at the level we are used to, he's going to be asked to take a paycut next year.

He also doesn't get paid for missing time or game checks as well, so it's not like if he shows up, doesn't pass a physical and landed on the PUP list, that he would get paid anyway. I don't think he gets those game checks, unless he actually plays in a game. So whether he's at home on his recliner healing up, or in Seattle getting a daily checkup on his progress at the Seahawks facility doesn't matter.

Seattle is not going to trade him, they will let him heal up, sit out vs playing here and being at 65 to 70% and him perhaps helping or perhaps not helping on game day.

I agree with all of that except I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of a trade. I agree that it's unlikely, but if Kam is still sitting out in Week 11, we'd be foolish not to at least consider the possibility.

I'm hearing some rumblings that the locker room is starting to turn back towards Kam. Our coaches have a big enough problem trying to win back the player's confidence after the debacle in SB 49. If we get blown out or if we lose due to some sort of controversial decision similar to last week, we could be in real trouble.

Yea? And where are you hearing that? Me thinks you are making stuff up.

I'm not making it up. A good friend of mine, who used to do a weekly segment on the Hawks at a local radio station, told me that he heard John Clayton say it the other day. Sorry that I can't be anymore specific than that, but I did say that it was a rumor. You don't have to believe it, I'm not even saying that I believe it (not that Clayton didn't say it, rather that the locker room is slipping).

And I never said that we should trade Kam, only that we would be foolish not to at least keep an open mind to the possibility, gage the market, perhaps even make Kam and his agent think that we are considering it.

Cartire

Reaction score
RiverDog":22o4azej said:
I'm not making it up. A good friend of mine, who used to do a weekly segment on the Hawks at a local radio station, told me that he heard John Clayton say it the other day. Sorry that I can't be anymore specific than that, but I did say that it was a rumor. You don't have to believe it, I'm not even saying that I believe it (not that Clayton didn't say it, rather that the locker room is slipping).

And I never said that we should trade Kam, only that we would be foolish not to at least keep an open mind to the possibility, gage the market, perhaps even make Kam and his agent think that we are considering it.

Why would we want to have his agent and Kam think he was getting traded? He wants that. That's not a punishment for him, that's a victory.

WilliamCooper

Reaction score
Keep in mind that if he doesn't report by week 10 he doesn't get credit for this season, meaning he still owes the Hawks three years. If it gets to that point, I could see him just retiring.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Cartire":m1s8m71q said:
RiverDog":m1s8m71q said:

Why would we want to have his agent and Kam think he was getting traded? He wants that. That's not a punishment for him, that's a victory.

Kam wants to be traded? News to me. Why would he be maintaining such close contact with the guys in the Hawks locker room if he wanted to be traded?

The threat of a trade is one possible motivation to get him to report.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
RiverDog":f9hc8fpe said:
Cartire":f9hc8fpe said:
RiverDog":f9hc8fpe said:

Kam wants to be traded? News to me. Why would he be maintaining such close contact with the guys in the Hawks locker room if he wanted to be traded?

He hasn't been....Earl and Richard have both said they have only talked sporadically and I one of them (can't remember who) said they hadn't talked in like a month....

RiverDog

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":s3gy193q said:
RiverDog":s3gy193q said:
Cartire":s3gy193q said:
RiverDog":s3gy193q said:

He hasn't been....Earl and Richard have both said they have only talked sporadically and I one of them (can't remember who) said they hadn't talked in like a month....

I know he's been texting various players in the locker room, giving advice to his replacement, etc. That doesn't sound like the M.O. of a player wanting to be traded to me. Plus there has been no talk about him requesting a trade, and if he's losing as much money has he is, you would think that if he wanted to be traded he would have said something by now.

Cartire

Reaction score
RiverDog":ukl4s7cg said:
Cartire":ukl4s7cg said:
RiverDog":ukl4s7cg said:

He wants to be traded because he knows if he is, the team taking him would be fully aware he wants a new contract. They wouldn't take the trade unless they knew they could negotiate a contract and Kam would report. Kams agent was the one that leaked the possible trade interest from NY.

Cartire

Reaction score
RiverDog":248y1fej said:
I know he's been texting various players in the locker room, giving advice to his replacement, etc. That doesn't sound like the M.O. of a player wanting to be traded to me. Plus there has been no talk about him requesting a trade, and if he's losing as much money has he is, you would think that if he wanted to be traded he would have said something by now.

I think you're under the impression that Kam cares about his teammates more then money. I have no idea, at this point, why you would think this.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Cartire":2a9us3ig said:
RiverDog":2a9us3ig said:

I think you're under the impression that Kam cares about his teammates more then money. I have no idea, at this point, why you would think this.

I never said that Kam cares more about his teammates than he does money. I said that I don't think he wants to be traded. He certainly hasn't made that request, and the team hasn't shown any interest in doing so. I don't think he would be texting his teammates with suggestions and I don't think he'd be enjoying as much locker room support if the team got the impression that he wanted out.

At this point, I think that it's all about pride. Kam has to justify his holdout and the Seahawks are unwilling to grant him anything that would allow him to save some face. So it's a stare down, who ever blinks first loses.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He has no ground to stand on. He clearly DOES care more about money and his stupid pride than he does this team.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I don't mean to pick on Soulfish, but people keep telling me how Kam doesn't have a leg to stand on, that we hold all the cards in this dispute, and so on. But what difference does that make? Do you feel better because the contractual issues are on our side? What good does it do for our team that Kam doesn't have any legal or moral grounds for what he's doing?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
WilliamCooper":nxar0808 said:
Keep in mind that if he doesn't report by week 10 he doesn't get credit for this season, meaning he still owes the Hawks three years. If it gets to that point, I could see him just retiring.

However, in that circumstance the Hawks would still own his rights, so the 'retirement' couldn't be used as a device to circumvent the team.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's just my own opinion. 2 years ago, they made him one of the highest paid safeties in NFL History, and a LOT of people were saying the Hawks overpaid etc. Now 2 years later, he's sitting there whining like a 5 year old. He has THREE years left on his contract. Come on now.
And how much of that signing bonus has he already received? 12 million?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2bs93u3u said:
And how much of that signing bonus has he already received? 12 million?
His signing bonus was $5M.

His 2013 and 2014 salaries were guaranteed... so in total, he's received approximately $12.5M under the contract extension he signed two years ago.