Financial Consequences For Kam If a 10 Week Holdout?

Cartire

Reaction score
RiverDog":3ufj80ii said:
I don't mean to pick on Soulfish, but people keep telling me how Kam doesn't have a leg to stand on, that we hold all the cards in this dispute, and so on. But what difference does that make? Do you feel better because the contractual issues are on our side? What good does it do for our team that Kam doesn't have any legal or moral grounds for what he's doing?

No one feels good about it. Its not a, "we win", scenario. But the only one who can fix it is Kam. And he is choosing not too.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Im done with Kam. I hope the Hawks absolutely shred his reputation and his career fizzles out after 2 or 3 years and he becomes another broke athlete with nothing to show for the millions he made in his career.

The dude is dead to me. I don't ever want to see him in a hawks uni again.

jblaze

Reaction score
To me, this started out as an attempt to get more security and money moved into next year because he believed it would probably be his last.

It didn't work out well for him and the team didn't budge at which point it became about willpower, pride and stubbornness. Kam is a very principled person and once they team didn't budge, he is feeling slighted and will stand on his pride as a matter of principle. It will cost him millions, his status in our organization, team, and community but there is no scenario when he comes out of this looking good so he will take the stubborn path and lose miserably.

He loses, his agent loses, his team loses, the organization loses and the fans lose. This will ill conceived to begin with and it was never going anywhere but the stubborn will often stand ignorantly in the face of reason and logic. Now he's leaving it all up to god which is a convenient way of avoiding personal accountability and will allow him to deflect and distance himself from his reality.

It's really too bad too. He was my favorite Hawk but this is idiotic and there is no out. He will destroy his career and he will regret this greatly.

minormillikin

Reaction score
I was thinking, we're at the point now where it would be extremely awkward if he comes back. He's done damage to his relationship with the organization, the fans, coaches, and his teammates. Things will be weird for him at first.

This could be a good thing, because there will only be one way to save face and earn back everyone's respect.

marko358

Reaction score
This is it. He lost. His only hope was for Paul Allen, John Schneider, and/or Pete Carroll to cave in after going 0-2. That is clearly not going to happen and the Hawks are about to run off a few wins against some bad teams. He literally has nothing left in his favor for leverage. this team will be fine without him and will likely be a favorite to be a 1 through 3 seed in the NFC post season.

What a shame. I loved watching him play.

Greenhell

Reaction score
Start saving your pennies Hawk fans. In the very near future I'm guessing there will be a beautiful Super Bowl XLVIII ring in either the pawn shop, Ebay or auction.

HOLLYWOOD

Reaction score
I've mentally 'IR'd him.. given the rash of injuries to our other NFC counterparts, it's about on par.

Most confusing, nonsensical, bullish holdout I've seen in a long time.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
HOLLYWOOD":2finw54x said:
I've mentally 'IR'd him.. given the rash of injuries to our other NFC counterparts, it's about on par.

Most confusing, nonsensical, bullish holdout I've seen in a long time.

Same here.

Right now I consider him on Boomerang IR. I thought that if we went 0-2, Kam would have hoped we'd cave to salvage a season. And that could still happen -- but I only think it does if we end up 1-3 after week 4.

I expect we'll stand at 2-2, and be 4-4 or 5-3 at the bye. We could easily be within a game of the division title at that stage. On paper, we've played the toughest two games on our schedule. And the road Cards game being the third toughest but that's the season finale. If we get there and are close to the division crown, I fully expect Seattle to be willing to stand pat until 2016.

Seattle has played both the toughest games very close. Could have been victorious in either. Chancellor probably would have been the deciding factor. But going forward, there are fewer games where not having him has such a direct impact on our losing.

I don't see the incentive for Seattle to trade Kam right now. We're not so broken that our fortunes are forfeit without him. And the return on the trade is going to be just plain awful. If we ultimately do want to trade him for whatever reason -- he's worth a lot more in the offseason when teams can make room for him and we can get a bidding war going. Trading him now is short sighted. If we think this is the last year we can make a run at a SB, then yeah. But if we don't, then waiting to trade him next year really puts us in a great position for 2016/2017 and even 2018. With extra early picks, the cap savings, and the knowledge that Seattle won't cave in to similar stunts puts us in a very strong position over the life of all of these extensions we've signed.

If he does come back and energizes the team for the stretch run, I don't mind saying that I would be satisfied with that. Chancellor in December/January is more important than Chancellor in Sept/Oct. Obviously I'd rather he plays all year but I recognize the long term value of the team 'winning' the standoff while still having the full impact of Chancellor's quality at the point in the season where it really matters.

And truth be told, this season looks like no matter what happens, the road to SB 50 is aimed through Green Bay. All of the other contenders really have had ruinous luck these first couple weeks. Now that we're in essence 3 games back of Green Bay, I consider the #1 seed all but lost barring catastrophic injury to Rodgers.

It really feels like this year we might see a handful of teams jump from the woodwork similar to Arizona last season. It's not inconceivable that there are two 9-7 division champs in the bracket this season.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
RiverDog":1rghg72b said:
I don't mean to pick on Soulfish, but people keep telling me how Kam doesn't have a leg to stand on, that we hold all the cards in this dispute, and so on. But what difference does that make? Do you feel better because the contractual issues are on our side? What good does it do for our team that Kam doesn't have any legal or moral grounds for what he's doing?
It's not about feeling better. Nobody feels better. But in situations like this, normally there is an animated difference of opinions between fans, blaming the player vs. blaming the team, etc. Kam not having a leg to stand on makes it far easier for most people know where the fault lies.

Of course, there iare still the animated differences of opinion regarding how much of the blame is shared by Kam's agent.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
RiverDog":14qiv5w5 said:
NewJerseyHawk":14qiv5w5 said:
Seattle is not going to trade him, they will let him heal up, sit out vs playing here and being at 65 to 70% and him perhaps helping or perhaps not helping on game day.
I agree with all of that except I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of a trade. I agree that it's unlikely, but if Kam is still sitting out in Week 11, we'd be foolish not to at least consider the possibility.
The trade deadline is after week 8 (Nov 3). Kam continuing to hold out in week 11 means he is done for the season.

That said, I agree about considering possible trade options, if the trade offers come from other teams. I still think Kam could get us quite a large return, higher than most people around here think. It depends on other teams' situations, how desperate they are, how close they think they are to playoff contention, etc.

seahawks08

Reaction score
BlueTalon":3e0iuwac said:
RiverDog":3e0iuwac said:
NewJerseyHawk":3e0iuwac said:
Seattle is not going to trade him, they will let him heal up, sit out vs playing here and being at 65 to 70% and him perhaps helping or perhaps not helping on game day.
I agree with all of that except I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of a trade. I agree that it's unlikely, but if Kam is still sitting out in Week 11, we'd be foolish not to at least consider the possibility.
The trade deadline is after week 8 (Nov 3). Kam continuing to hold out in week 11 means he is done for the season.

That said, I agree about considering possible trade options, if the trade offers come from other teams. I still think Kam could get us quite a large return, higher than most people around here think. It depends on other teams' situations, how desperate they are, how close they think they are to playoff contention, etc.

Trading him means you are essentially giving in to increase his pay. The league does not want to set a precedent. All GMs in the league does not want Seahawks to cave in period. It sets a bad precedent for all other players and the whole league can have a bunch of hold out players who want to get paid more. I don't think Seahawks will blink even if they want to. Paul Allen reportedly asked to stop all negotiations couple of weeks ago. What I make of it as the owners are all of the opinion not to cave in and given in on a 3 year left contract. It is a tough situation to be in, but the ball is in Kams court, season win or lose, there is nothing Seahawks can do anymore. Probably waive the fines are the only leeway Seahawks have at this point and that might also go out the window if this continues. I am shocked that Kam does not realize how me he stands to lose purely by holding out.

RiverDog

Reaction score
seahawks08":24vu1v9p said:
BlueTalon":24vu1v9p said:
RiverDog":24vu1v9p said:
NewJerseyHawk":24vu1v9p said:

Trading him means you are essentially giving in to increase his pay. The league does not want to set a precedent. All GMs in the league does not want Seahawks to cave in period. It sets a bad precedent for all other players and the whole league can have a bunch of hold out players who want to get paid more. I don't think Seahawks will blink even if they want to. Paul Allen reportedly asked to stop all negotiations couple of weeks ago. What I make of it as the owners are all of the opinion not to cave in and given in on a 3 year left contract. It is a tough situation to be in, but the ball is in Kams court, season win or lose, there is nothing Seahawks can do anymore. Probably waive the fines are the only leeway Seahawks have at this point and that might also go out the window if this continues. I am shocked that Kam does not realize how me he stands to lose purely by holding out.

I'm not sure how much the other teams want us to hold the line with Kam. I know that there are 3 that are wanting us to hold the line simply because they don't want to see him in our lineup.

I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment about the logic of this holdout. It's bullshit, and I'm extremely disappointed in Kam. And let's not displace that sentiment onto his agent. Kam's not that stupid to be duped into an argument that's driving his team into the ground.

Although we would probably have to wait until the next CBA to do it, one solution would be to make the fines mandatory and take the team out of the loop. As they are now, they are a paper tiger because the first thing that happens in a holdout like this is that the team forgives the fines. If you make them mandatory, or at least take the decision to levy them away from the teams, players would be less likely to hold out unless they had a very strong financial argument.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I would be interested in seeing the thread continue long enough to get the "actual" financial consequences that occur. Or, if locking, a link to the thread where the financial consequences are being discussed.

Cartire

Reaction score
olyfan63":7h0j57uc said:
I would be interested in seeing the thread continue long enough to get the "actual" financial consequences that occur. Or, if locking, a link to the thread where the financial consequences are being discussed.

I may be wrong, but I don't think those fines have to be declared to the public.

olyfan63

Reaction score
We'll see what, if anything, our special .NET inside sources come up with.
The team managed to keep pretty mum on the Harvin mess while all the schtuff was happening, so if they decide to keep this confidential, we may never know.