Fire Hurtt or Carroll

getnasty

Reaction score
Yes I do. Seriously look up my other posts.

It's ok to be critical and be a fan. I'm pisT off right now. And that's the 2nd time you've questioned my fan hood.

I may be a worthless failure in several other aspects of my decrepit life, but being a fan of the Seahawks is one of the rare things I can hang my hat on.
Now either add some substance and contribute, or leave.

If you think Hurtt is doing a fine job then voice that opinion.
You kind of lose all credibility when you say "Fire Pete" who is way closer to winning Coach of the Year then losing his job.

BASF

Reaction score
Firing Hurtt is not a bad idea at all. I have not liked him since his cheating at Miami U. The truth is that as our line coach, he hasn't really had anyone who has outperformed their draft position except Poona. Can anyone sit there and say that we have had success in developing any of our D-Line beyond expectations. You could maybe make a case for Reed and Clark, but they were both second rounders and their performance is pretty much in line with that. Clark began making Pro Bowls when he went to KC, but his stats don't even come close to being a Pro Bowler.

Our current D-Line is literally Hurtt's creation and all of them have underperformed this season. All but one of our losses has been the result of poor D-Line play, as our offense has been forced to keep us in games.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Firing Hurtt is not a bad idea at all. I have not liked him since his cheating at Miami U. The truth is that as our line coach, he hasn't really had anyone who has outperformed their draft position except Poona. Can anyone sit there and say that we have had success in developing any of our D-Line beyond expectations. You could maybe make a case for Reed and Clark, but they were both second rounders and their performance is pretty much in line with that. Clark began making Pro Bowls when he went to KC, but his stats don't even come close to being a Pro Bowler.

Our current D-Line is literally Hurtt's creation and all of them have underperformed this season. All but one of our losses has been the result of poor D-Line play, as our offense has been forced to keep us in games.
I’d like to add Hurtt is also/has been coaching up Taylor and Collier. Collier, cannot even get on the field and Taylor seems to be a liability on this defense.

Hurtt, has been the defensive line coach before his coordinator role and I gotta say, I haven’t seen enough good things to warrant Hurtt keeping his role as D coordinator.

I wouldn’t be opposed to Hurtt being dismissed but Seattle is at the same time voided of defensive lineman talent that would make any defensive coordinators job a lot easier, I would think.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
You kind of lose all credibility when you say "Fire Pete" who is way closer to winning Coach of the Year then losing his job.
The reason I added Pete in there is because whenever I say fire X D coordinator (Richard, Norton, Hurtt) ultimately Pete is the one pulling the strings, or so I am told by other posters

I would really like to see Seattle bring in a defensive mind that will challenge Pete's philosophy, because whatever is going on now clearly isn't working. They looked solid against Kyler Murray and Daniel Jones this year which isn't saying much.

I thought Desai was supposed to be the genius to be innovative and creative with the D. Where is he at? If Carroll is squashing his voice and not allowing other ideas to be presented on D, then that's a problem

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The reason I added Pete in there is because whenever I say fire X D coordinator (Richard, Norton, Hurtt) ultimately Pete is the one pulling the strings, or so I am told by other posters

I would really like to see Seattle bring in a defensive mind that will challenge Pete's philosophy, because whatever is going on now clearly isn't working. They looked solid against Kyler Murray and Daniel Jones this year which isn't saying much.

I thought Desai was supposed to be the genius to be innovative and creative with the D. Where is he at? If Carroll is squashing his voice and not allowing other ideas to be presented on D, then that's a problem

The thing is that this year has been an obvious departure from Pete's general defensive philosophy. They're clearly moving towards more and more Fangio tree stuff, which is what makes up the background of both Hurtt and Desai.

This isn't the same as the past years have been philosophically. They're two-gapping, reading and reacting, trying to move in that general direction. That's not Pete's traditional MO.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
The thing is that this year has been an obvious departure from Pete's general defensive philosophy. They're clearly moving towards more and more Fangio tree stuff, which is what makes up the background of both Hurtt and Desai.

This isn't the same as the past years have been philosophically. They're two-gapping, reading and reacting, trying to move in that general direction. That's not Pete's traditional MO.
They're moving towards the Fangio tree -- but the defense is still pretty bland. Front aside, they're using the same bland approach as before. The benefit of the Fangio system is the system's ability to obfuscate where pressure is coming from and what coverage is going to be used. We're pretty much lining up and showing our hand right away.

Honestly, I think Hurtt needs to go and someone like Desai should take the reigns. He has more experience running the Fangio system and he's had success doing so. Hurtt hasn't exactly been a great D-line coach here either. As long as we keep hiring people like Hurtt and Norton Jr. (really bad with the Raiders) with questionable resumes -- we're going to keep getting these results.

Also our tackling has gotten so bad. There were so many people that were in position to bring Jacobs down. Brooks is included here. Brooks has been a huge disappointment this year.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
And the defense, according to many, was actually supposed to be the stable group this season while the offense was going to be a dud.

Further evidence that those in charge of this defense are out of touch and need to go ASAP.
Jeebus Kriest Jer, it's not the Coaching so much, it's the PLAYERS.
It ain't the problem with the sharpshooter, it's the pellet gun being used to take down that grizzly, it ain't on Hurtt nor Pete for piss poor Defensive executions.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
For me they must draft an ILB who actually can tackle as opposed to Barton who misses more than he brings down.

DE or DT, ILB, C, G, as they see is appropriate at the pick.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
They're moving towards the Fangio tree -- but the defense is still pretty bland. Front aside, they're using the same bland approach as before. The benefit of the Fangio system is the system's ability to obfuscate where pressure is coming from and what coverage is going to be used. We're pretty much lining up and showing our hand right away.

Honestly, I think Hurtt needs to go and someone like Desai should take the reigns. He has more experience running the Fangio system and he's had success doing so. Hurtt hasn't exactly been a great D-line coach here either. As long as we keep hiring people like Hurtt and Norton Jr. (really bad with the Raiders) with questionable resumes -- we're going to keep getting these results.

Also our tackling has gotten so bad. There were so many people that were in position to bring Jacobs down. Brooks is included here. Brooks has been a huge disappointment this year.
Great Post!
I like this idea of dumping Hurtt and @Jerhawk Fire Pete?Come on dude.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Great Post!
I like this idea of dumping Hurtt and @Jerhawk Fire Pete?Come on dude.

RiverDog

Reaction score
After this abomination, one of those two knuckle heads needs to go.
Worst defensive game plan in team history.

Hurtt is an awful D coordinator, a weak leader of men, and has no business being in his current position.
Pete's fired his last coordinator in my book. Hurtt is his 3rd DC since Dan Quinn left in 2015. He's thrown enough of those guys into the volcano. This time, he gets tossed into the caldron. He's the one that's supposed to be the best defensive guru of the current century.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Pete's fired his last coordinator in my book. Hurtt is his 3rd DC since Dan Quinn left in 2015. He's thrown enough of those guys into the volcano. This time, he gets tossed into the caldron. He's the one that's supposed to be the best defensive guru of the current century.
Agreed. And don't get me wrong I'm very appreciative of everything coach Carroll has done for this team and city.

However, for a defensive minded head coach to have this awful of a defense is very concerning. The defense was projected to be somewhat good this year, or so many said. Across the board we have guys (except for Woolen) who have really regressed this year. That's why I blame coaching.

Yes, losing Adams hurt. But Mr. Hurtt's D line stinks. Aaron Curry's linebackers stink. Our safety play has been inconsistent.

Coach Carroll is great motivator and mentor to these young guys but when it comes to Xs and Os, I'm really done with him at this point. I don't feel that is his strength and I wish he'd give more power to the coordinators.

Which may sound hypocritical if I'm calling for Hurtt to be out. But he was an internal hire. Kris Richard, Ken Norton and now Hurtt were all internal hires, or had previous experience working on Carroll's Seahawks staff. They're essentially yes men.

I thought when they brought Desai in here he was supposed to add a new perspective. And I don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but it feels to me like the same old defense. Yeah they're running a hybrid 3-4, but it honestly looks very similar to me (average joe fan).

Switching gears to offense, Waldrons system looked totally revamped this year. They're still putting up lots of points. Credit Geno or Waldron or Carroll, or everyone, that side of the ball is clicking this season. I believe that Carroll gave Waldron more freedom to call his system

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The defense was projected to be somewhat good this year, or so many said. Across the board we have guys (except for Woolen) who have really regressed this year. That's why I blame coaching.

Who said this?

Before the season the only bright spot on the entire defensive side of the ball was Taylor and Brooks taking the next step.

That's it, the rest of the defense was suppose to be just as bad as the offense. No corners, aging safeties and the most mediocre D-line in franchise history.

Some of you guys try so hard to exaggerate to fit your narratives. The Hawk's over under in Vegas was 4-5 games, that doesn't in any way shape or fashion say "many people thought our defense was going to be good."

No, no one did, except Pete and the players.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Agreed. And don't get me wrong I'm very appreciative of everything coach Carroll has done for this team and city.

However, for a defensive minded head coach to have this awful of a defense is very concerning. The defense was projected to be somewhat good this year, or so many said. Across the board we have guys (except for Woolen) who have really regressed this year. That's why I blame coaching.

Yes, losing Adams hurt. But Mr. Hurtt's D line stinks. Aaron Curry's linebackers stink. Our safety play has been inconsistent.

Coach Carroll is great motivator and mentor to these young guys but when it comes to Xs and Os, I'm really done with him at this point. I don't feel that is his strength and I wish he'd give more power to the coordinators
I'm with ya 100% on your first paragraph. Pete's era has been by far the best football in franchise history, and something that I'll be eternally grateful to him for.

I don't think losing Adams had a huge effect on this defense. Even when he was healthy, we weren't stopping anyone. He was a liability in pass coverage and wasn't big enough to be a Kam-type run stopper/snot knocker that could man up on tight ends. Adams was a one trick pony, one of the worst trades we've ever made.

I've pledged to myself not to make any comments on Pete's future any earlier than elimination from the playoffs, and I'm sticking with that. I will say that it was wise for him to move on from Russell and this past draft was the best by far in the past 10 years, but I'm not sure if that trumps the horrible trades and roster mismanagement that's occurred over the past 10 years.

renofox

Reaction score
I think it's the opposite. PC is taking a hands-off approach this year, and his intervention has been minimal.

If there was some way to know for sure, I would bet that Hurtt/Desai are pushing 2-gap when our DL players are not capable of playing it effectively.

We used it weeks 1-5 and sucked. For some reason (PC "suggesting" a change?) we went to 1-gap weeks 6-9 and kicked ass.

Week 10 we went back to 2-gap and are sucking again. Not sure about week 12 but I know 1-5 plus 10 were 2-gapping and it appears 12 was also. Maybe after week 9 H/D convinced PC to let them go back to 2-gap since they now had it "figured out"?

Maybe PC should be inserting himself MORE into the defensive gameplanning?

Last edited:

Latest posts