First Rounders on Roster

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
Ranking the best and worst drafting teams in Round 1

21. Seattle Seahawks

Surplus AV per pick: Minus-0.1
Biggest hit: Earl Thomas (No. 14, 2010 draft)
Biggest miss: Aaron Curry (No. 4, 2009 draft)

When looking at all rounds, the Seahawks have been the best-drafting team in the past decade. Yet most of their draft success have come in the later rounds, where they grabbed Russell Wilson (third round), Richard Sherman (fifth round) and Kam Chancellor (fifth round). In the first round, Thomas is the only player in the past decade who significantly outperformed expectations.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/story/ ... s-top-list

Jville

Reaction score
Cary Kollins":2c5wg3bj said:
Jville":2c5wg3bj said:
I would prefer to see the team unload their 1st round pick again this year. I dislike the whole entitlement burden so many 1st round picks bring into the clubhouse and onto the field.

I much prefer the latter rounds which invite a mind set of something to prove.

First round picks are crucial ever since the new CBA because they carry the 5th year option, which is basically a "free" franchise tag.

The importance of that cannot be overstated.

I have little doubt John Schneider has used that as a selling point to trade down and out of the first round.

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
Jville":2vmfwor1 said:
Cary Kollins":2vmfwor1 said:
Jville":2vmfwor1 said:
I would prefer to see the team unload their 1st round pick again this year. I dislike the whole entitlement burden so many 1st round picks bring into the clubhouse and onto the field.

I much prefer the latter rounds which invite a mind set of something to prove.

First round picks are crucial ever since the new CBA because they carry the 5th year option, which is basically a "free" franchise tag.

The importance of that cannot be overstated.

I have little doubt John Schneider has used that as a selling point to trade down and out of the first round.

It all depends on the team's board. If they think they'll get the same value in a later round, it could be a great play.

For example, a dream scenario bouncing around Panthers land right now is trading down w/ Cleveland and landing Hunter Henry, Derrick Henry and Kendall Fuller in the second.