Florio calls for revised playoff seeding, invokes Hawks 7-9

getnasty

Reaction score
The benefit from winning the division is that you automatically get in the playoffs. It's not right that a 7-9 team or an 11-5 team gets to host a playoff game over a 13-3 team.

justafan

Reaction score
What I remember about 2010 was the talk that we shouldnt even be in the playoffs at all. Once we start devaluing winning the division you are one step away from just taking the top 6 teams. That sounds fair but then rivalries die off and they just become another game. Playing the Niners or the Rams would be about like playing the Chiefs. It used to be a big game.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
getnasty":3ilqy7ki said:
The benefit from winning the division is that you automatically get in the playoffs. It's not right that a 7-9 team or an 11-5 team gets to host a playoff game over a 13-3 team.

I liked this rule when it was going our way, so it'd be hypocrtiical to say I now don't like it.

We're almost certainly talking about either us or 9ers having to play the WC at JerrahWorld instead of Levi's or here. If we end up doing it, HFA might be negated by the fact that we won't have to worry about rain then.

NINEster

Reaction score
Fade":fy76m23q said:
I am cool with it the way it is. It makes winning the division that much more valuable.

Spoken like a fan of the 2010 Seahawks.

Wait until the roles are reversed and you may change your tune.

No guarantee the Hawks win the NFCW this year, and last year was 1 and done for your boys in Dallas....

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
I like the current system (even if it hurts us this year). Seeing a lesser team with HFA take on a better team just makes for better TV. That playoff game we had vs NO was back and forth and absolutely epic. It set up one of the greatest, if not the greatest, running plays ever. Give me more of that and not the 10-20 point drubbing we probably would've gotten if that game was in NO.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
sutz":2ymomfb8 said:
I reiterate, if you're going to have divisions, then being div champ has to mean something. :229031_shrug:

It does.

It means you make the playoffs.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":1l0cybxq said:
James in PA":1l0cybxq said:
This will change only if a legacy team (i.e., Cowboys, Stealers, Packers) goes 12-4 or better but has to play a wildcard game on the road against a division winner with an 8-8 or worse record *and* said legacy team loses the game. Until then, it won’t change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL.

You think they have that much control over the league? Haha. I actually could see it if it was New England. If had a year where they were like 12 - 4 but somehow lost their division (almost impossible as everybody else is typically weak in their division). But assuming it did happen for argument sake. If Tom Brady had to go on the road to play a game against a team with a weaker record I think they would change the rule tomorrow.

The NFL literally changed all the rules when Brady got his knee injury. Suddenly plays that were OK and hard hitting football became completely illegal. Their golden boy Tom Brady went down and they literally jumped to it and changed all the rules. That's just stunning if you think about it. The NFL bends over backwards for the Patriots. Nobody else gets this kind of treatment.

Packers. Fail Mary. Replacement refs immediately gone.

It happens :)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":3ll3cw0c said:
James in PA":3ll3cw0c said:
This will change only if a legacy team (i.e., Cowboys, Stealers, Packers) goes 12-4 or better but has to play a wildcard game on the road against a division winner with an 8-8 or worse record *and* said legacy team loses the game. Until then, it won’t change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL.

You think they have that much control over the league? Haha. I actually could see it if it was New England. If had a year where they were like 12 - 4 but somehow lost their division (almost impossible as everybody else is typically weak in their division). But assuming it did happen for argument sake. If Tom Brady had to go on the road to play a game against a team with a weaker record I think they would change the rule tomorrow.

The NFL literally changed all the rules when Brady got his knee injury. Suddenly plays that were OK and hard hitting football became completely illegal. Their golden boy Tom Brady went down and they literally jumped to it and changed all the rules. That's just stunning if you think about it. The NFL bends over backwards for the Patriots. Nobody else gets this kind of treatment.
Dallas gets a close 2nd. Slick ball Rule (new rules with kicking balls) came about because Tony Romo couldn’t handle a snap on a FG year in a playoff game against Seattle. Jerruh whined and cried until he got his way and got a rule change.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Hawkpower":iz2od7md said:

The funny thing is that the call was correct, and ESPN got basically the whole world to believe it wasn't. "Power resides where men believe it resides."

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
RolandDeschain":3fwtfy0r said:
Hawkpower":3fwtfy0r said:

The funny thing is that the call was correct, and ESPN got basically the whole world to believe it wasn't. "Power resides where men believe it resides."

They said something just the other day in the Minnesota game about it, and they were still basically saying it was a horrible, terrible, very wrong, no good call, and it was actually a great thing that it was so terrible because it got the real refs back to work the next week. No mention that it was indeed later admitted to be the correct call. Gaslighting is so much fun!

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1tfeh6vh said:
They said something just the other day in the Minnesota game about it, and they were still basically saying it was a horrible, terrible, very wrong, no good call, and it was actually a great thing that it was so terrible because it got the real refs back to work the next week. No mention that it was indeed later admitted to be the correct call. Gaslighting is so much fun!
I was listening very closely when that came up during our game. They didn't actually SAY the call was wrong, but they heavily implied it. I got angry for a minute there.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
RolandDeschain":1y1f46nd said:
Seahawk Sailor":1y1f46nd said:
I was listening very closely when that came up during our game. They didn't actually SAY the call was wrong, but they heavily implied it. I got angry for a minute there.

Yeah, that's why I worded it the way I did. They were basically saying that, while not technically, actually outright saying it. But obvious opinion was obvious.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":279418kd said:
Hawkpower":279418kd said:

Correct, according to the rules of possession. There is a still picture of “simultaneous possession” of Tate and the GB DB, both had hands on the ball and Tate had 2 feet in the end zone (see on the ground) and the DB only had one foot on the ground.

D6436F95 112B 445A 9D40 E0D1D8A8CB66 zpswvrgc2p8

Edit: My mistake, the GB DB had no feet on the ground.

The call the officials missed was the OPI on Tate, but they never call that in Hail Mary situations.

Chapow

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2lcwoeoq said:
sutz":2lcwoeoq said:
I reiterate, if you're going to have divisions, then being div champ has to mean something. :229031_shrug:

It does.

It means you make the playoffs.

This is where I'm at as well.

I'd say making the playoffs at all is a pretty nice reward for a team that doesn't even have a winning record.

Chapow

Reaction score
NINEster":1ve2dcud said:
No guarantee the Hawks win the NFCW this year, and last year was 1 and done for your boys in Dallas....

And last year your team went 4-12. What does last year have to do with this year?

Not much IMO.

schkoot

Reaction score
NINEster":1dc9vm3f said:
Fade":1dc9vm3f said:
I am cool with it the way it is. It makes winning the division that much more valuable.

Spoken like a fan of the 2010 Seahawks.

Wait until the roles are reversed and you may change your tune.

I'm OK with having to go away against a sub-.500 team, should we not win the west. Divisions need to mean something, or the NFL will become something close to the CFP, which sucks massive ass.

That said, I was pretty embarrassed for the Seahawks in 2010 (until the beast quake). It was a weird time to be the divison champs and a Seahawks fan for sure.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
IronSaint":12pdq8yc said:
Sports Hernia":12pdq8yc said:
The call the officials missed was the OPI on Tate, but they never call that in Hail Mary situations.
Unless it's against the Saints...

Floppin' *** 49ers.

Fun fact, the referee for this game just so happened to be the same referee from the NFC Championship last year. What a coincidence, huh?
So does he have something against the Saints? The city of N.O.?

The back judge that called the OPI on Darrell Jackson in Super Bowl XL*, the first of many momentum crushing calls against the Hawks in that game was born and raised and at that point still lived in Pittsburgh, PA. (likely still dioes)

Sailor and Roland and Hernia all spot on about the "Fail Mary".

Popeyejones

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":1z4egldj said:
It's weird, I feel like I go back and forth on this every year. I don't necessarily mind the way that it is right now, it does place more value on winning your division. However, securing a playoff spot seems like enough of a reward for winning your division. It just doesn't make sense to me to have teams with worse records hosting teams with better records in the playoffs.

I think all four division winners should go to the playoffs, plus two wild card teams, and then the top two teams (based off W/L) get first round byes and the other four play wildcard weekend. This way, IMO, you aren't rewarding a bad division/winner just for the sake of rewarding them.

Agreed with this, but I doubt it ever changes, because the really stark contrasts between a crappy division winner who gets a home game and a great WC team that doesn't don't happen that frequently, and whenever it does happen it's just one fanbase out of 32 that cares while the other 31 don't give a crap.

IronSaint

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1ou1apni said:
So does he have something against the Saints? The city of N.O.?

The back judge that called the OPI on Darrell Jackson in Super Bowl XL*, the first of many momentum crushing calls against the Hawks in that game was born and raised and at that point still lived in Pittsburgh, PA. (likely still dioes)
You know, I’m really not sure. Before the beginning of last season, we had a 5-2 record with him as a referee. He did the first Rams game last year and his crew called it relatively evenly but were very lax on holding calls (which as y’all are familiar, the Rams hold A LOT).

Our record is now 6-4 with him but 3 of those 4 loses are from some straight up bull**** calls: the no-call, that OPI call, and in 2016 against the Broncos they blocked an XP that would’ve gave us the lead and they returned it for a 2-pointer but the dude steps out of bounds and they don’t call it and then refuse to overturn it because the guy has white cleats on and you can’t “clearly see he’s out of bounds” despite our entire sideline seeing it. :34853_doh:

I’m just glad that after that bull**** in the NFC Championship that we’ll likely never have to see him again and he gets the Walt Coleman/Raiders treatment.