Florio: League office drops the ball on ejections

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Yeah. I mean, it should Be a rule or it shouldn’t.

What A’Shawn did was literally tap the lower part of Williams’ face mask with an open hand. Williams responded with a closed fist hit to the central part of A’Shawns facemask. I see only one of these as flagrant.

Similarly, Watsons flagrantly shoving a ref makes it flagrant. The first thing you learn in peewee, little league or whatever is not to physically touch the ref.

And similarly, if the play was dead when Metcalf shoved Witherspoon, I eould support an ejection.

chrispy

Reaction score
People have made up their minds on DWatson and probably TWilliams too. An ejection wouldn't have damaged either of their reputations or "brands" any worse. Similarly, letting them play didn't result in anyone being convinced they're somehow better people. Enforcing or not-enforcing a rule doesn't protect a player from their own bad judgement. It only diminishes the game a little every time.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Yeah, no surprise here. It's a business first, a sporting contest second. But I'm glad that Florio is calling them out. Perhaps if the league's hypocrisy is exposed like this more often, that it will have an effect on the league.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
And Metcalf?

You all have some “special’’ opinions.

And you have "special" reading comprehension. Florio failed to mention Metcalf in his article, but one of us has said in this thread...
And similarly, if the play was dead when Metcalf shoved Witherspoon, I would support an ejection.

[Boldface, font size, and color emphasis are mine and I corrected an obvious typo, replacing "eould" with "would"]

How would you have felt about long suspensions for Aaron Donald for just some of his very-outside-the-rules violence over the years? He's choked players or attacked their throats on several occasions, put his helmet back on after the game to go over and attack an opposing offensive lineman, shoved quarterbacks on end-of-game victory kneeldowns, used multiple helmets to attempt to injure Bengals players in a preseason joint practice, and has always appeared to think opposing players' facemasks are handles for him to grab and twist. Dirtiest player in the NFL, and that goes back to before Burfict's exit from the league. The main difference between Burfict and Donald is that the NFL and the NFL-broadcasting media chose to minimize Donald's filthy, filthy transgressions and make a big deal out of Burfict's. I want to be clear that I'm not defending Burfict. If anything, the league should have been much harsher with Burfict, but my point is that Donald is at least as bad as Burfict, and so the league should not have stopped at sometimes fining Donald for acting like he's in a to-the-death cage match both during and completely outside on-the-field plays in the NFL. Donald is at a Jack "The Assassin" Tatum level of dirtiness. Donald would have been a favorite of Raiders fans that openly admired dirty play if he'd been on those Raiders teams of the '70s. There's no excuse for any Donald apologist in the 2010s and 2020s, including the NFL front office and the Rams front office.

Last edited:

themunn

Reaction score
In most other team sports, a red card/ejection will usually result in a suspension for at least 1 game - violent conduct usually means missing 3 or more games. That also applies to retrospective action given if something is missed during the game. So is there any reason why Williams and Watson shouldn't be missing the next few games?

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
And you have "special" reading comprehension. Florio failed to mention Metcalf in his article, but one of us has said in this thread...

[Boldface, font size, and color emphasis are mine and I corrected an obvious typo, replacing "eould" with "would"]

How would you have felt about long suspensions for Aaron Donald for just some of his very-outside-the-rules violence over the years? He's choked players or attacked their throats on several occasions, put his helmet back on after the game to go over and attack an opposing offensive lineman, shoved quarterbacks on end-of-game victory kneeldowns, used multiple helmets to attempt to injure Bengals players in a preseason joint practice, and has always appeared to think opposing players' facemasks are handles for him to grab and twist. Dirtiest player in the NFL, and that goes back to before Burfict's exit from the league. The main difference between Burfict and Donald is that the NFL and the NFL-broadcasting media chose to minimize Donald's filthy, filthy transgressions and make a big deal out of Burfict's. I want to be clear that I'm not defending Burfict. If anything, the league should have been much harsher with Burfict, but my point is that Donald is at least as bad as Burfict, and so the league should not have stopped at sometimes fining Donald for acting like he's in a to-the-death cage match both during and completely outside on-the-field plays in the NFL. Donald is at a Jack "The Assassin" Tatum level of dirtiness. Donald would have been a favorite of Raiders fans that openly admired dirty play if he'd been on those Raiders teams of the '70s. There's no excuse for any Donald apologist in the 2010s and 2020s, including the NFL front office and the Rams front office.

I watched the Burfect to Boyle hit and honestly thought it was bang bang. There was at least some plausible deniability in it. It wasn’t like Incognito stepping On some defenders ankle or Williams delivering that closed fist punch.

Biscanebay12

Reaction score
Not sure what world some of you live in, but if someone takes a swing at me I don't give shit if its a open hand, slap whatever. I'm going to hit you back and wont be open handed. Its a violent sport, the "legal" hits are far more forceful than either of the blows thrown by either player.

RiverDog

Reaction score
It wasn't in this thread, but the day after the Rams game, I was calling for Metcalf to be suspended and/or fined for his non football related contact with Witherspoon. That's how brawls start, and had one started, I suspect that he would have been suspended.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Not sure what world some of you live in, but if someone takes a swing at me I don't give shit if its a open hand, slap whatever. I'm going to hit you back and wont be open handed. It’s a violent sport, the "legal" hits are far more forceful than either of the blows thrown by either player.

Look at your left tackle smacking Sherman in the face without physical provocation. Yes, it is a violent game but we still have rules around it That most players for now observe.

There is on Field shoving that goes on every week or two, but not punches. Why? Because players perceive punishment. Just as players avoid intentional contact with refs.

Biscanebay12

Reaction score
Look at your left tackle smacking Sherman in the face without physical provocation. Yes, it is a violent game but we still have rules around it That most players for now observe.

There is on Field shoving that goes on every week or two, but not punches. Why? Because players perceive punishment. Just as players avoid intentional contact with refs.
My left tackle? Are you referring to when he was with Washington? Sherman was talking mad smack and got in his face and it was after the game. Sherman later admitted he took it too far. Sherman is just lucky that he didn't unscrew his head.

Like I said previously, if you don't want to get hit, don't swing at someone. Open or closed hand.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Im saying that this was a problem y’all needed to address before it became a game time issue, which it did last year when He shoved down that eagle for no reason whatsoever And got called.

After the play in game time remains game time.