The Niners kept Brandon Allen on the roster

morgulon1

Reaction score
Of course. They need at least 3 QBs . The way Seattle is coming for them this year
It's going to get fugly

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
We know Shan Qbs get hurt, and Allen is 2-7 in regular games. We also know how Sam has stunk it up. I’d rather us play them than Will Grier.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
They should keep 5 QBs on their roster the way Shanahan churns through them.

They actually should, given the timeline.

Their ps qb Was Kurt Benkert followed by Jacob Eason, who got let go just before JimmyG was hurt. They immediately snatch Josh Johnson off Denver, a 36 yo who has honed the skill of being a scout qb that’s it. And in postseason, they didn’t even try for any other teams now former ps qb.

This is ass backwards.

bileever

Reaction score
Not many teams keep 3 QBs on the 53-man roster. Did Shanahan think that someone would poach Brandon Allen if they tried to move him to the practice squad? And if they did, so what? Guys like Allen are a dime a dozen. Just replace him with Bailey Zappe or Colt McCoy or any number of the QBs who got waived today.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
I agree with those who say Shanny should keep 5 QBs on the team. He does have a way of running them into the ground.

uncle fester

Reaction score
If Shanahan didn’t insist on calling designed runs for his QBs, he wouldn’t burn through QBs as fast. But hey, apparently he’s a genius and this is no place for logic.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I agree with those who say Shanny should keep 5 QBs on the team. He does have a way of running them into the ground.

Last year, shan had six.

Trey Lance, JimmyG, Purdy, Josh Johnson, Kurt Benkert on ps (released) and Jacob Eason on ps (released). I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they get a ps qb as no 4 As that’s what Allen would have been, probably.

flv2

Reaction score
The 49ers may want 3 QBs on the game day roster in Week 1. Purdy isn't a certainty to get through the entire game. It would be embarrassing if they go with only 1 back-up in Week 1 then the back-up gets hurt after Purdy comes out early.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The 49ers may want 3 QBs on the game day roster in Week 1. Purdy isn't a certainty to get through the entire game. It would be embarrassing if they go with only 1 back-up in Week 1 then the back-up gets hurt after Purdy comes out early.

They intend to dress Three qbs through the season with The emergency qb rule. They can and should find a qb4 for the ps

flv2

Reaction score
They intend to dress Three qbs through the season with The emergency qb rule. They can and should find a qb4 for the ps
Teams that have 3 QBs on the active roster will be allowed an extra game day spot for that 3rd QB. If teams only have 2 QBs on the active roster then the new extra QB rule doesn't apply. I expect a lot of teams to stick with 2 QBs on the active roster and have their 3rd QB on the PS. Generally the strong teams won't want to expose their 53rd player to waivers and the PS just so they can carry an extra QB.

...unless the rule has changed again in the last few months, which is possible.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Teams that have 3 QBs on the active roster will be allowed an extra game day spot for that 3rd QB. If teams only have 2 QBs on the active roster then the new extra QB rule doesn't apply. I expect a lot of teams to stick with 2 QBs on the active roster and have their 3rd QB on the PS. Generally the strong teams won't want to expose their 53rd player to waivers and the PS just so they can carry an extra QB.

...unless the rule has changed again in the last few months, which is possible.

A team with three qbs on the roster can have qb3 dress for a game as emergency qb, which means they can play only if the qb1 and 2 are ejected or become injured. Or They can just activate all three qbs for a game, thus giving them the opportunity to send anyone out.

bileever

Reaction score
To dress 3 QBs based on one freak incident last year is crazy. How many times a year are you going to lose both QBs in a game? QB is the most protected position in the game. And if you have to go with your #3 QB, you're probably not going to win the game anyway.

flv2

Reaction score
A team with three qbs on the roster can have qb3 dress for a game as emergency qb, which means they can play only if the qb1 and 2 are ejected or become injured. Or They can just activate all three qbs for a game, thus giving them the opportunity to send anyone out.
Agreed, but most teams will keep a better 53rd player on the active roster rather than 'waste' the spot with a QB that is extremely unlikely to play. The 3rd QB rule doesn't apply to PS players and teams can only use the SEA rule to promote a PS player sparingly. I don't expect the Seahawks to have a #3 QB on the active roster or use the SEA promotion to add a 3rd QB unless/until either Smith or Lock is injured.

If Purdy isn't 100% it makes sense for them to have a 3rd QB. If he is 100% the 49ers might cut Allen and sign him to the PS. Allen is only being paid vet minimum but as a vested veteran his contract will become guaranteed if he is on the active roster for Week 1. It would have made more sense to have Lance on the roster as the #3 QB for Week 1. They could then trade him and have a non-guaranteed Allen as the #3 on the PS. I don't like the trade and the timing makes even less sense.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Agreed, but most teams will keep a better 53rd player on the active roster rather than 'waste' the spot with a QB that is extremely unlikely to play. The 3rd QB rule doesn't apply to PS players and teams can only use the SEA rule to promote a PS player sparingly. I don't expect the Seahawks to have a #3 QB on the active roster or use the SEA promotion to add a 3rd QB unless/until either Smith or Lock is injured.

If Purdy isn't 100% it makes sense for them to have a 3rd QB. If he is 100% the 49ers might cut Allen and sign him to the PS. Allen is only being paid vet minimum but as a vested veteran his contract will become guaranteed if he is on the active roster for Week 1. It would have made more sense to have Lance on the roster as the #3 QB for Week 1. They could then trade him and have a non-guaranteed Allen as the #3 on the PS. I don't like the trade and the timing makes even less sense.

I think the 9ers are too snakebit, after all, this is the rule named for their situation. They don’t have to prioritze Brandon getting scout team reps or coaching him up. They wanna set it and forget it so they have that third butt sitting there.

Now if and when injuries strike—as They do under Shan—they Should have a qb4 to permanently elevate to take advantage of the emergency qb role, or to swap out if Darnold or Allen need relief or are benched. Ian Book, Trace McSorley, David Blough, Kellen Mond all got released and are safe stashaways

WmHBonney

Reaction score
To dress 3 QBs based on one freak incident last year is crazy. How many times a year are you going to lose both QBs in a game? QB is the most protected position in the game. And if you have to go with your #3 QB, you're probably not going to win the game anyway.
QBs aren't very protected in their offense. The frequency of those designed runs is asinine and yet, they never seem to learn.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
QBs aren't very protected in their offense. The frequency of those designed runs is asinine and yet, they never seem to learn.

The 3rd qb rule should become mandated at playoffs. at that point every game is nationally televised for the leagues benefit and the league is already paying players.