The Niners kept Brandon Allen on the roster

projectorfreak

Reaction score
That really suggests to me a exreme lack of faith in your Oline and to the guys on the line on their team I'm guessin that's how some of them see it rightfully or not but every job I've ever had having a redundant 3rd wheel says I have zero faith that were gonna get through without possible complications
Go Hawks

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
That really suggests to me a exreme lack of faith in your Oline and to the guys on the line on their team I'm guessin that's how some of them see it rightfully or not but every job I've ever had having a redundant 3rd wheel says I have zero faith that were gonna get through without possible complications
Go Hawks

The league should just mandate that everyone have one for league purposes at playoffs, ie making Sure there’s a game to watch. The nfccg would have been lost under Johnson, but he did put up the only points. There was at least something to watch, until there wasn’t.

In the owl, Mahomes almost lost Time to Henne. They had had Chris Strevler (sp) on their roster as a third but didn’t dress him. Eagles had Ian Book, same.

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
QBs aren't very protected in their offense. The frequency of those designed runs is asinine and yet, they never seem to learn.
Purdy had 29 rushing attempts in 7 starts and a few partial games.
Smith had 72 rushing attempts in 18 starts
i.e. roughly 4 attempts per game. I don't recall any designed runs for Purdy. Perhaps there were a handful.

bileever

Reaction score
Purdy had 29 rushing attempts in 7 starts and a few partial games.
Smith had 72 rushing attempts in 18 starts
i.e. roughly 4 attempts per game. I don't recall any designed runs for Purdy. Perhaps there were a handful.
Yeah, I don't buy the narrative that Shanahan's tough on his QBs. I think his scheme can put a running QB at risk, like RGIII, but Jimmy and Brock didn't get hurt running the ball. The 49ers are no more likely to get QB injuries than any other team.

On the other hand, I think Shanahan would love to have a running QB in his "positionless" football scheme. His offense is tough on Deebo, though. That's just asking for trouble.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't buy the narrative that Shanahan's tough on his QBs. I think his scheme can put a running QB at risk, like RGIII, but Jimmy and Brock didn't get hurt running the ball. The 49ers are no more likely to get QB injuries than any other team.

On the other hand, I think Shanahan would love to have a running QB in his "positionless" football scheme. His offense is tough on Deebo, though. That's just asking for trouble.

The only starter that didn’t get hurt under Shan was Brian Hoyer back in 2017. I’m not saying he’s reckless, but it’s almost an axiom at this point.

As to a runner, I don’t think Shan wants one. He wants quick pocket passers.

bileever

Reaction score
The only starter that didn’t get hurt under Shan was Brian Hoyer back in 2017. I’m not saying he’s reckless, but it’s almost an axiom at this point.

As to a runner, I don’t think Shan wants one. He wants quick pocket passers.
I think he loved having RGIII and his threat to run, and I think he wanted to replicate that with Trey Lance. It all fits with his concept of a positionless team, with any player a threat and creating mismatches. Deebo running the ball, CMC catching passes and the QB a threat to go at any time.

But yes, you are right that he wants a QB who can execute his offense with quick, short and intermediate passes.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I think he loved having RGIII and his threat to run, and I think he wanted to replicate that with Trey Lance. It all fits with his concept of a positionless team, with any player a threat and creating mismatches. Deebo running the ball, CMC catching passes and the QB a threat to go at any time.

Since rg3 and Trey, Shan’s all But abandoned the run priority in favor of the short pass tac game tho

LastRideOut

Reaction score

Actually Jimmy did get hurt running the ball out of bounds against the KC Chiefs that one year a few years back. I think he tore his ACL on that play.

Weadoption

Reaction score
But that one's on Jimmy. Shanahan didn't coach him to do that.
not true they run a how to shed giant defensive lineman drill all the time at Shanny Camp. It’s called the Jimmy Twist. What you do is try to stay on your feet as long as possible rather than just take a sack, and as the D linemen pile their weight on and lock onto you, you then break free in a sudden jerking twisting spin move powered by the knees and feet to avoid the sack and run for that 1st down Jimmy style.