Football Fields

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Largent80":3e1fo504 said:
Seahawks1983":3e1fo504 said:
The NFL should require that every team in the league play on real grass, and enforce strict maintenance standards. If England can play soccer thoughout the winter on real grass 2-3 times a week, there is no reason that NFL teams can't play on real grass 10 times per season.

Horseshit. Grass is different on every field in every city. Playing the game on the same surface guarantees no advantages.

Since when does the NFL conduct a season in England?...Friggin soccer is not American football.

The Seahawks seem to do fine on Field Turf and most of the other teams in the NFL agree and have it in their stadiums.

1) There is no reason why grass can't be similar at every stadium. Just because Dan Snyder is a douche and doesn't value field maintenance does not mean it has to be that way.

2) The point about England was that competitive athletics consisiting of grown men take place in a soggy environment for 8+ months a year. It is ok to look at this objectively, without anyone thinking you are some soccer loving euro wannabe. So just calm down.

3) The field turf at the Clink is absolute shit. It's barely 3 years old and it is flat and completely worn out. No way in hell that is better than real grass.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3jweyih8 said:
Marvin49":3jweyih8 said:
Seahawks1983":3jweyih8 said:
Go play a few games of soccer or football on a fieldturf field, then come back and tell us about it. Anyone who has ever played sports on that crap knows how awful it really is, especially on your knees.

The NFL should require that every team in the league play on real grass, and enforce strict maintenance standards. If England can play soccer thoughout the winter on real grass 2-3 times a week, there is no reason that NFL teams can't play on real grass 10 times per season.

THANK YOU.

God, I hate old-people mentality. Field Turf has improved a lot in the last like five or six years and there probably isn't a single person on this whole freaking forum that has actually played high-level competitive sports on one of the modern Field Turf fields.

Of course it has. Didn't say otherwise.

If teams want to use field turf then they have every right to do so. I can see it in domes and such....but I prefer grass fields.

Nothing like it.

I still think the game should be played on grass. You can call it "old-people mentality" all you want, but I prefer the look of it, the smell of it, and just about everything about it to an artificial surface.

My biggest annoyance are all the people who talk as tho Field Turf is SOOO much safer. It's not. Is it safer than Astroturf? Absolutely. No question. HUGE advances in fields in the last decade.

I still like grass. Sue me.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Largent80":1w44ha81 said:
I know. Marvin just wants grass because it will help his "old" defense.... :lol:

Not quite....I don't want Niner players on that surface.

chris98251

Reaction score

If teams want to use field turf then they have every right to do so. I can see it in domes and such....but I prefer grass fields.

Nothing like it.

I still think the game should be played on grass. You can call it "old-people mentality" all you want, but I prefer the look of it, the smell of it, and just about everything about it to an artificial surface.

My biggest annoyance are all the people who talk as tho Field Turf is SOOO much safer. It's not. Is it safer than Astroturf? Obsoletely. No question. HUGE advances in fields in the last decade.

I liked Grass also, just gives better then any kind of turf as far as if you get caught with an awkward foothold and then get hit, the grass will give way. Smell and all as well.

The issue is Grass in prime condition gives that, in bad condition can cause you to twist and sprain things as well do to divots or being so loose that your footing is bad. In the old days where you had a layer of earth on outdoor stadiums and the mud bowls due to that earth being real earth and not just a layer fields were only single purpose most times as well so wear and tear was different.

The Fieldturf is cheaper to maintain, is more consistent, yes the smell is gone but the problems are a lot less if you don't have pristine grass.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":17jshr89 said:
FINALLY! That's perfectly fine. Was just trying to get you to stop the highly misleading and inaccurate representation of modern Field Turf compared to grass. :) The Field Turf haterade swilling was bothering me! :lol:

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":mdv4hyn5 said:

Nothing like it.

My biggest annoyance are all the people who talk as tho Field Turf is SOOO much safer. It's not. Is it safer than Astroturf? Obsoletely. No question. HUGE advances in fields in the last decade.

I liked Grass also, just gives better then any kind of turf as far as if you get caught with an awkward foothold and then get hit, the grass will give way. Smell and all as well.

The issue is Grass in prime condition gives that, in bad condition can cause you to twist and sprain things as well do to divots or being so loose that your footing is bad. In the old days where you had a layer of earth on outdoor stadiums and the mud bowls due to that earth being real earth and not just a layer fields were only single purpose most times as well so wear and tear was different.

The Fieldturf is cheaper to maintain, is more consistent, yes the smell is gone but the problems are a lot less if you don't have pristine grass.

That's kinda the problem at Levis....

...the turf has sand and gravel beneath it in order for the water to drain through and end up being recycled. It prevents "mud pits".

What happened at Levis is that they used the wrong sand...the grass isn't rooting in the sand like its supposed to so its holding itself together without much help from the soil around it.

After the soccer game next week, they are going to replace all of the sand AND the grass. The short term solution this weeken involves using like 4 inches of soil in the grass being put in..IE...its kinda already rooted, but its a temp solution.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":e25e56hm said:
Marvin49":e25e56hm said:
FINALLY! That's perfectly fine. Was just trying to get you to stop the highly misleading and inaccurate representation of modern Field Turf compared to grass. :) The Field Turf haterade swilling was bothering me! :lol:

Field Turf has it's place.

I just don't think all stadiums should be outfitted with it. If your climate can support it, you should have grass.

Just my opinion.

Smellyman

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1porcfhx said:
It's not a myth, Marvin. Higher ACL/MCL injury rates but lower like EVERYTHING else. Plus those studies do not account for poorer conditions later in the year like FedEx Field in December and January.

or Denver in August

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
And MY opinion is that each stadium has a different environment as far as weather is concerned. Some climates support a grass field, some don't. Surprisingly, we have grass fields in climates that cannot grow grass in the fall/winter.

Hmmmm, how to remedy that?

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Largent80":18oud48r said:
And MY opinion is that each stadium has a different environment as far as weather is concerned. Some climates support a grass field, some don't. Surprisingly, we have grass fields in climates that cannot grow grass in the fall/winter.

You think England and other places around the world don't also have those environments?

Heating coil and grow lights are the answer. For example:

2620940258 7256569dc6 z

Marvin49

Reaction score
Largent80":1rlhgogp said:

...and that's a far cry from your original point that EVERY NFL stadium should be outfitted with Field Turf.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I love how Seahawks1983 treats a grass field like it's Beyonce riding a unicorn naked with Kristal spouting from her nipples saying "I'm here for you, big boy."

Hype much? Geez.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3kc15lkd said:
I love how Seahawks1983 treats a grass field like it's Beyonce riding a unicorn naked with Kristal spouting from her nipples saying "I'm here for you, big boy."

Hype much? Geez.

....thank you for that image. :D

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Anybody that thinks that the old AstroTurf is remotely close to the new field turf is fooling themselves.
I played high school football in 1985 on brand new AstroTurf. Learned real quick to wear elbow pads and double knee pads, after one practice on that stuff due to rug burns and basically playing on a rock hard surface. My joints knees and elbows ached the next day after playing on that stuff, and I was a skinny athletic kid when I was 16.

I've walked on the field turf at C-link and there is so much more cushion than the old AstroTurf.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Grass fields have been a problem in more than just Washington. Remember that game in Pittsburgh five or six years ago when the field was so saturated that a punted ball came down point-first and STUCK in the ground?

I don't think we need to mandate a type of playing surface, but I would like to see some strict standards for the field at every stadium and have the owners held accountable if they can't maintain their turf to meet those standards. Daniel Snyder should have been docked draft picks for that vacant-lot caliber monstrosity Seattle had to play on in that Wild Card game.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3mc9hwcs said:
Anybody that thinks that the old AstroTurf is remotely close to the new field turf is fooling themselves.
I played high school football in 1985 on brand new AstroTurf. Learned real quick to wear elbow pads and double knee pads, after one practice on that stuff due to rug burns and basically playing on a rock hard surface. My joints knees and elbows ached the next day after playing on that stuff, and I was a skinny athletic kid when I was 16.

I've walked on the field turf at C-link and there is so much more cushion than the old AstroTurf.
I did the same, on turf. I get to walk on the Clink field pretty much every home game and it is a dream compared to astro turf. It is actually quite appealing and far more forgiving. Now i would take an established, well maintained grass field over field turf, but there are very few of those. SF is a great place to have grass, but until it is established it won't be in the same class as the newer field turf.

I think that grass fields should get a chance, but the league should not allow crap grass fields to exist if they are not improved.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Marvin49":3c044498 said:
RolandDeschain":3c044498 said:

Hype much? Geez.

....thank you for that image. :D

Trust me; you do NOT want to Google Image search that phrase.