Football Fields

Jville

Reaction score
Speaking of images ..........

[tweet]https://twitter.com/sal_castaneda/status/502480731440836609[/tweet]

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I remember, many, many, many years ago when the 49ers were a superbowl team and were playing home playoff games regularly... The field condition was always a news story. The grounds team had to bust their ass just to get it playable and even then it would be junk after the first quarter.

Grass doesn't work in the winter months. It goes dormant. I bet none of you mow your lawn in Jan. How the hell do you expect a grass field to hold up that time if year.?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":7be1tmcn said:
I remember, many, many, many years ago when the 49ers were a superbowl team and were playing home playoff games regularly... The field condition was always a news story. The grounds team had to bust their ass just to get it playable and even then it would be junk after the first quarter.

Grass doesn't work in the winter months. It goes dormant. I bet none of you mow your lawn in Jan. How the hell do you expect a grass field to hold up that time if year.?

That wasn't because of the season... It was because if the tide.

Marvin49

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":14kc8pjp said:
Marvin49":14kc8pjp said:
Tech Worlds":14kc8pjp said:

That wasn't because of the season... It was because if the tide.

If the tide what?

When the tide was high the stadium turf turned into a swamp.

It's was mediated and much better over the past decade + but back in the day the high tide would make conditions horrible on the field.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3dx9uldi said:
Anybody that thinks that the old AstroTurf is remotely close to the new field turf is fooling themselves.
I played high school football in 1985 on brand new AstroTurf. Learned real quick to wear elbow pads and double knee pads, after one practice on that stuff due to rug burns and basically playing on a rock hard surface. My joints knees and elbows ached the next day after playing on that stuff, and I was a skinny athletic kid when I was 16.

I've walked on the field turf at C-link and there is so much more cushion than the old AstroTurf.

No one on this thread has made any such claim.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
In two minds about it. As a Sounders fan as well it pisses me off that they play on field turf, everywhere else outside of the U.S plays the sport on grass with no issues barring a couple of exceptions in places like Russia. It in turn affects the Sounders ability to get good talent to play there- guys like Henry won't set foot on it and they have to install grass when the big European teams visit. There have been a lot of complaints about the field turf quality lately as well.

However, what can they do when the stadium is shared between the Seahawks, Sounders, odd Cougars/Husky game along with concerts and then things like lines have to be alternated just days apart? The field would get wrecked.

I think the best answer is to replace the turf every year with the latest technologies. It's not like the Sounders/Seahawks combined can't afford to replace it every year.

sc85sis

Reaction score
When it's maintained properly, grass is the ideal surface. I walked on the LA Coliseum field after USC's spring game and it was like walking on a firm but soft carpet. It was awesome.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
sc85sis":3tdddepq said:
When it's maintained properly, grass is the ideal surface. I walked on the LA Coliseum field after USC's spring game and it was like walking on a firm but soft carpet. It was awesome.
They get sun there year round to make it grow. Up here that doesn't happen.

sutz

Reaction score
Anybody who thinks soccer tears a field up like football does is seriously out of touch with reality.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Even a caveman knows grass doesn't grow in winter. I live in SoCal and the gardeners don't mow what isn't growing. I started this thread for the crappy assed fields that grace too many NFL stadiums and the only way to even the playing fields is to install Field Turf.

The NFL makes quite a profit and are introducing more new products each year to separate you from your money. The least they could do is to make everyone have the same surface to play on.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Largent80":2s2eamo0 said:
Even a caveman knows grass doesn't grow in winter. I live in SoCal and the gardeners don't mow what isn't growing. I started this thread for the crappy assed fields that grace too many NFL stadiums and the only way to even the playing fields is to install Field Turf.

The NFL makes quite a profit and are introducing more new products each year to separate you from your money. The least they could do is to make everyone have the same surface to play on.
But that would make sense and be fair begone with that nonsense!

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
As someone who played A LOT of Soccer and Football in California, Oregon, Idaho and Washington, I am in the camp that really thinks Field Turf is the way to go. While I always preferred a nice and well maintained grass field over Field Turf, the consistency and ease of maintenance that Field Turf provides makes it a much more viable option in many places around the US, let alone right in our backyard.

It is absolutely astonishing that places like Soldier Field, Lambeau and Fed Ex let their grass fields turn to piles of junk. I understand how it happens, the conditions become pretty brutal. I'm just surprised that the NFL teams don't replace the grass on a regular basis for figure out a way to keep the fields maintained. I get the whole home field advantage bit of it, but there has to be a point where the field conditions are a liability for player safety.

Seahawks1983":38yyrg5j said:
Go play a few games of soccer or football on a fieldturf field, then come back and tell us about it. Anyone who has ever played sports on that crap knows how awful it really is, especially on your knees.

I couldn't disagree with this more. I'm pretty confident that modern Field Turf is actually quite more supportive or "softer" than grass fields, especially grass fields that aren't well maintained and are played on in rough conditions like snow and ice. As Roland posted before, turf fields generally have a higher rate of knee injuries, but a lot of that data includes outdated fields that used Astroturf or something similar. The biggest thing that an athlete needs to be cautious or aware of when playing on turf is proper footwear.

I'm not sure if you're confusing Astroturf with Field Turf as Astroturf is/was atrocious.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":3hmo3m5g said:
As someone who played A LOT of Soccer and Football in California, Oregon, Idaho and Washington, I am in the camp that really thinks Field Turf is the way to go. While I always preferred a nice and well maintained grass field over Field Turf, the consistency and ease of maintenance that Field Turf provides makes it a much more viable option in many places around the US, let alone right in our backyard.

It is absolutely astonishing that places like Soldier Field, Lambeau and Fed Ex let their grass fields turn to piles of junk. I understand how it happens, the conditions become pretty brutal. I'm just surprised that the NFL teams don't replace the grass on a regular basis for figure out a way to keep the fields maintained. I get the whole home field advantage bit of it, but there has to be a point where the field conditions are a liability for player safety.

Seahawks1983":3hmo3m5g said:
Go play a few games of soccer or football on a fieldturf field, then come back and tell us about it. Anyone who has ever played sports on that crap knows how awful it really is, especially on your knees.

I couldn't disagree with this more. I'm pretty confident that modern Field Turf is actually quite more supportive or "softer" than grass fields, especially grass fields that aren't well maintained and are played on in rough conditions like snow and ice. As Roland posted before, turf fields generally have a higher rate of knee injuries, but a lot of that data includes outdated fields that used Astroturf or something similar. The biggest thing that an athlete needs to be cautious or aware of when playing on turf is proper footwear.

I'm not sure if you're confusing Astroturf with Field Turf as Astroturf is/was atrocious.

I am not a moron. I know the difference between astroturf and field turf. But thanks for that condescending BS comment anyways.

:th2thumbs:

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":3sz2bakb said:
Seahawks1983":3sz2bakb said:
JGfromtheNW":3sz2bakb said:

Seahawks1983":3sz2bakb said:

I am not a moron. I know the difference between astroturf and field turf. But thanks for that condescending BS comment anyways.

Actually, it is YOU 1983 who comes across as condescending with your BS comments. JG's comment was nice and relevant.

Thats just like, your opinion, man.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":dl206ox5 said:

Yes, but have you played on a modern Field Turf surface made within the past like, five years? Keep in mind that what I'm referring to here is NOT simply the same Field Turf as a decade+ ago but not as worn, the company that makes Field Turf has done a LOT to improve it in recent years.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
You ever see the old games from the 50's -early 60's ..Seemed like they all were being played in dirt or mud...Maybe we need that again lol ..Some of those games were played in baseball stadiums like the Bears in Wrigley.So you had half a football field..Talk about mixed playing surfaces..

chris98251

Reaction score
IndyHawk":ax80rsqv said:
You ever see the old games from the 50's -early 60's ..Seemed like they all were being played in dirt or mud...Maybe we need that again lol ..Some of those games were played in baseball stadiums like the Bears in Wrigley.So you had half a football field..Talk about mixed playing surfaces..

Yes but go back earlier in the thread, they were soil based and not sand, in mud you know your footing isn't good, on layered surfaces with the gravel, sand and then a thin layer of soil and grass you can think you do and don't if it's not rooted.

On mud surfaces you tend to take choppier smaller steps to not slip, nowadays these guys are going full tilt thinking they have firm footing so tears and pulls happen more and to a higher degree.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
LOL, that "field" at the new Candledump is an embarrasment. That much money and that is what they put down?

hahahahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa......HA.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm actually kind of surprised that LEED Gold certification is possible with a real grass field. That's a lot of damn water needed compared to say, Field Turf. :)