Football Gameplan's 2014 NFL Draft Grades - Seahawks

TXHawk

Reaction score
The Seahawks will most likely always get mediocre draft grades because of the way they evaluate players compared to the way draft "experts" evaluate them. They are less interested in solid NFL-ready prospects and more interested in players with the type of attitude, intelligence and toughness they value who also have exceptional physical attributes that fit their schemes even if they don't fit the normal NFL prototype in some respect or are raw and unfinished. They believe they can coach up these types of players to maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses. It doesn't work with every player they draft but when it does it can produce spectacular results.

That's how Carroll and Schneider managed to revamp an aging, undersized roster into a Super Bowl champion in a relatively short time while leaving draft experts scratching their heads about their selections year after year.

lsheldon

Reaction score
I never pay attention to draft grades any more. It's a waste of time because these analysts still don't understand the system here. PC/JS have their own plan. It seems to be working pretty well.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
I hadn't even heard of 7 of our draft picks before we picked them, and of all the receivers getting 1st/2nd round hype, Richardson seemed to get the least. I had literally never heard of Justin Britt until his name was called. I'd done a decent amount of reading about the draft beforehand too. I am now excited to see the rookies go and, based on PCJS' s prior efforts I am expecting big things, but I'm not going to get bent out of shape about a low grade.

I know that football gameplan did a tonne of research on the prospects but, as others have mentioned, the Seahawks put importance on different attributes than most, specifically attitude and athleticism. It is probably worth bearing in mind that the WRs selected have to go up against the LOB in practice and cope with their intensity and talent. This probably removed a decent number of receivers from their board altogether, even the highly rated ones.

Maybe the track record of the FO needs to be factored in, but I guess if Em is rating these players against his pre-draft grades then why not back himself and his research.

sutz

Reaction score
I expect low draft grades, because Seattle doesn't have any needs so pressing that any of these guys have to start this season. Most will be essentially 'red-shirted' if they even make the cut. If they do make the team, most will actually play a little bit, as Pete is a master at getting guys involved and coaching up players, and especially at getting them experience. If any of them do achieve 'starter' status, he will have earned it.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
To any credible grading of the value of any draft prior to seeing how the players do on the field I say "Whatever".

Knowing if the Hawks over drafted Britt, or under drafted any other player taken like Cassius Marsh, or whether this was yet another redshirt draft like last season's effort, will depend upon how the player responds to coaching, deals with the pressures of being a pro and how they compete on the field against pro competition. How anyone can accurately predict this after a draft smacks horribly of group thinking as to the draft value of players taken and is unrelated to actual performance in their professional environment.

There are many here that bought the Draft Scout valuations and zoned out on known health issues or the group thinking missed on the unknown health issues on several highly ranked players. As well there are other seasons why players fall and or simply don't fit the personality of teams that may need a player at their positions.

This was an interesting draft and many supposedly highly valued players didn't get drafted i.e. Jackson Jeffcoat or Tiny Richardson along with lots of others who's selection in terms of group think would have been solid draft picks and of whom several might not be even able to play a down in the NFL for ability, physical or psychological reasons. Some of whom may just be so full of themselves they aren't good team players or are too thick to comprehend a new playbook. Ascribing value at this early stage is actually quite presumptuous and reflective of some egocentrism that may be based upon an incomplete understand of the who what why and where of each guy picked.

Who thought Sherman would quickly become arguably the best CB in the league or that Sweezy would prove to be a solid pick as a G when he played DT in college? Waiting 3 seasons to fairly grade out a player's draft value is at least a situation that allows an objective basis in justification of their relative value.

To understand the value of any draft to a team the draft needs to be looked at in several ways, present value, actual value, cap value, need now vs. potential future need., time required for positional development. In short, thanks for your opinion Em but it's really not very valuable other than furthering group thought which already seemingly is somewhat off the mark.

Latest posts