Football Outsiders DVOA goes live - We're #2 overall

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Week 4 has come and gone, which means Football Outsiders is now using defense-adjusted value over average. The first three weeks of each season, Football Outsiders doesn't have enough tape to make their ranking adjustments based on opposing defenses, (which is probably the most critical aspect of their rankings being so accurate) so the rankings in the first three weeks are iffy or more "normal" compared to other statistics websites. Once they start to be able to calculate defensive trends and adjust opposing offenses accordingly, though, their DVOA stat is far and away the most accurate "numeric representation on paper" for the performance of teams and their various parts. It's not perfect. No stat ever will be. It IS pretty dang good, however, and is definitely the best single stat out there; though calling it a "single" stat is kind of misleading because of how much goes into it.

Without further adieu, the Seahawks have the #1 defense in the NFL right now at a whopping -28.0% DVOA for total defense. The next closest is Tampa Bay at -19.6%. Not even close. This includes a considerable drop because of how much we gave up (in the way of yards and points) to Houston. The way DVOA works, positive numbers are better for offenses, and like golf, the deeper the negative number for defenses, the better.

A huge part of this is our pass defense. Our pass defense, despite letting Schaub throw for what, 355 yards and two TDs, is currently sitting at a sexy #1 ranking of -36.9%. It would have been considerably higher than that if we had held Schaub to something reasonable, rather than crapping the bed the first half against him, too. I expect our pass defense to actually improve over time, as well as our overall defensive ranking. These numbers both took a decently sized hit because of how much we gave up at Houston, and we're still #1 in pass defense and overall defense.

Our rush defense, on the other hand, is ranked 10th at -16.8%. Still a respectable number, but obviously our weak spot comparatively.

Our offense is ranked 9th overall with a 6.6% DVOA, which is a little bit surprising to me. I would have guessed a worse ranking than that. What is even more striking is that we're currently the 5th-ranked passing attack in the NFL with a 31.7% passing DVOA, but we're ranked 11th in rushing DVOA at -1.1%. Very intriguing. Beast Mode wasn't able to get much in two of our four games, so I guess it doesn't really surprise me. We haven't even really gotten our offense going, but apparently we've been effective once we start driving. (That 98-yard drive at the end of the Houston game sure was a beauty.)

Our special teams DVOA is #2 in the league at 8.5%, too. We obviously know our special teams have been performing exceptionally well, and the only reason Denver's is above us is because of a couple of great plays (I believe they have two special teams scores now, or is it just one?) and I think we can rise to #1 within a few weeks, but we'll have to see. I'm not taking anything away from Denver's special teams, just FYI.

The receivers DVOA hasn't been updated for this week yet, but should be later tonight. I expect a particularly juicy ranking for Doug Baldwin; details to come once they update.

Edit: receivers DVOA just went live for this week.

Doug Baldwin is ranked 16th in the league for DYAR - that's Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement. If you want explanations of how all the DVOA, DYAR, etc. rankings are calculated, go here: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods

For a guy who sees little action, that is impressive, because DYAR is mostly a cumulative stat. Guys that get a lot of catches are high on that list, typically. Baldwin being that high is incredible for the number of receptions he has. However, the more telling statistic, is that Doug Baldwin is currently ranked 3rd in the entire league in receiver DVOA. This is the quality-based stat that is largely irrelevant to things like total number of yards, receptions, and TDs. It's all about how effective you are when you do stuff, basically. Only Eddie Royal and Jordy Nelson are above Doug Baldwin right now in this category. Basically, Baldwin has been absolutely awesome for us thus far this year. He's also #2 in the league for catch rate at 80%. Only Nate Burleson at 83% exceeds him.

kearly

Reaction score
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-r ... oa-ratings

Jacksonville is the worst ever through 4 games.

Seattle was actually #1 in VOA last week (+69%?), the Houston game really hurt us in a big way (deservedly so). It underscores how amazing that win was.

Indy is #5 in DVOA. Who thought the Indy game would be this tough before the season?

Keyhawk

Reaction score
This is the first I've heard of DVOA. Thanks for sharing.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Really interesting stuff. Thanks for the great accompanying write up, as well.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Great post Roland. The more people who understand DVOA and DYAR the better, they are great stats.

Indy is ranked 13th in defense. Carolina is currently 10th. Houston 5th. So they're still a good defense, but more middle of the pack, well, upper middle of the pack. They have average special teams and a very good offense. This will be the best offense we've faced this season. Considering our defense tends to start flat on those 10AM starts, we'll probably be playing catch up again. Hopefully our oline will fair better. I think it will. Indy is 26th vs the rush. Our subs are actually quite good at run blocking.

Expect Lynch to have a really good day, taking the pressure off Wilson. PA should do quite well and I think our offense will look much better.

Btw, Roland you were right Sunday when they tossed it up and drew the pass interference. Guess who leads the league in drawing pass interference yards? Yup, Wilson with 105.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Read that Baldwin is the #1 rated WR according to DVOA and Tate #7 for DYAR...now I have no idea what the hell any of that means but its gotta be good right?

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":eah7zjgv said:
Btw, Roland you were right Sunday when they tossed it up and drew the pass interference. Guess who leads the league in drawing pass interference yards? Yup, Wilson with 105.
Awesome. Where'd you get that from? Also, kind of weird that they attribute it to a QB when it's really something to attribute to a WR corps, but the eye test told me we had to be near the top of the league in this regard because I've just seen our guys be aggressive so many times over the past year or two at making sure the DB doesn't get it even if they can't. Certainly more than I noticed it with other teams.

kearly":eah7zjgv said:
Seattle was actually #1 in VOA last week (+69%?), the Houston game really hurt us in a big way (deservedly so). It underscores how amazing that win was.
Our pass defense was -68.9%, if I recall correctly. I was waiting to see how far it would drop this week not only because of our poor defensive game at Houston, but also because once they add the "D" to VOA, pretty much all scores drop somewhat. I'm curious to see if we can perhaps finish the season with a pass defense of -50 or better. That would be...Ridiculous. With our improved pass rush, it's definitely possible.

kearly":eah7zjgv said:
Indy is #5 in DVOA. Who thought the Indy game would be this tough before the season?
You know, I've been thinking a lot about your comment here. It brings me to a point. I think the Indianapolis Colts might be a dirty franchise in a way that most people don't know about, or realize. Now, Colts fans, don't get offended. Let me explain what I mean. There were people saying Indianapolis was doing the "Suck for Luck" routine year before last. There was certainly some evidence for it, because even with as bad of a QB as Painter, it still seems like you should have won a couple more than two. It's a hard thing to quantify. Almost impossible, really. A defensive coordinator, for instance, could easily throw a few games by having some mediocre calls at critical moments, for instance. Now, why I think the Colts are rather suspicious in terms of ethics is because twice in a row, the Colts went from back-to-back winning seasons to sucking so hard, they got the #1 overall pick the next season. Peyton Manning was drafted after the 1997 season, in which the Colts went 3-13 after going 9-7 each of the two previous seasons. Then, after going 14-2 and 10-6 in 2009 and 2010 respectively, they lose Peyton to injury right away and go 2-14 to get what at the time was being called a once-in-a-generation QB. Just like Peyton was deemed in the 1998 off-season.

In all seriousness, what are the chances of going from winning season, winning season, worst in the league TWICE to get back-to-back potential all-time great QBs a little over a decade apart? (Peyton's obviously not a potential, but Luck is, we don't know how his career will play out yet.)

It's a bit suspicious. It could easily just be coincidence, but it has my radar up, you might say. Irsay was very new as the owner of the Colts prior to drafting Peyton. With the stuff we know happened with the 49ers in their glory years, Bountygate with the Saints, etc.; nobody can tell me it's not realistically feasible that Irsay may have put some pressure on to tank for the top pick.

pehawk

Reaction score
Roland that's some good stuff.

More of this, less 49er posts. Its not fair to us, IF, you can contribute like this.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Great! I think I'll get a jersey with the number -28.0 and the name DVOA on it!

Now I can go to the other teams' boards and say "Our DVOA can beat your DVOA!!!! Suck it bey-otches!"

In reality, I actually do appreciate your explanation of the numbers, but so far I've found them as useful as power rankings. Pray for me to come to the dark side of DVOA.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Jazz, the DVOA rankings were saying the playoff bound 2-2 Seahawks of last season were much better than 4-0 Cardinals while power rankings largely had AZ in or near the top 10 teams and in or near the bottom 10 teams. This is just one example of why continuously testing and honing a mathematical measurement system can be superior to the eye test of pseudo experts and why DVOA rankings are infinitely better than power rankings.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I was referring specifically to your comment about it being as useful as power rankings, unless that's just trolling, too. *shrug*

Hawks46

Reaction score
I totally agree with your assessment of the Colts. There was no way there weren't sucking to get Luck a couple of years ago.

That's a big reason they had such a large bounce back last year. They were never really a 2 win team. Jacksonville and the Raiders are two win teams.

Look at the Rams when they were a 2 win team. Indy's team was far better than any of those teams.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Thanks for posting; I checked FO a couple times yesterday for this.

This is a good confirmation that we're not deluding ourselves into believing this team is really, really, really good across the board. No, it won't guarantee a Super Bowl, but isn't it nice to know we're legitimate contenders?

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":7jf7jisj said:
Thanks for posting; I checked FO a couple times yesterday for this.

This is a good confirmation that we're not deluding ourselves into believing this team is really, really, really good across the board. No, it won't guarantee a Super Bowl, but isn't it nice to know we're legitimate contenders?

Damned right it feels nice. Also, this is one of the reasons I love Football Outsiders. They have startling accuracy in predicting contenders from pretenders. As someone pointed out in another thread, Arizona had mediocre DVOA metrics after 4 weeks last year despite starting 4-0. We're number 2 overall and by a good margin. Also, the Broncos were lower than a couple of teams with worse records midway through last season, which coincided with the "beating up on paper tigers eye test" I guess you might say.

Their offense is ridiculous right now, so their current DVOA is justified; and having a kick-off return for a TD and punt return for a TD under their belts is keeping their special teams at #1, though without those, they are definitely below us and we're #1. Our coverage has been stellar overall.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":cslcfehm said:
I was referring specifically to your comment about it being as useful as power rankings, unless that's just trolling, too. *shrug*
Just messing with you...much like your Shack posts.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":4icjfz9o said:
RolandDeschain":4icjfz9o said:
Just messing with you...much like your Shack posts.

I stayed up until 7am watching the final season of Breaking Bad, showered, and came to work. I never went to sleep last night. I can't even spell "humor" right now. :(

(Crap, I did spell it.)

HawkMeat

Reaction score
MATHMATICAL!

finn_eyes3.jpg

I love this stuff.