For all of you RW weight watchers...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
As usual, people assume the worst and are wrong. Look at that fattie :roll:
It's ok, they'll find something to get on him about later.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":dhyzhem4 said:
Try this for fact, tear your knee up get a high ankle sprain and tear a upper body muscle, now run your ass 5 miles a day and stay in shape. If you can do that I will drop my contention he put on weight in addition to that he wanted to add.

That's like saying pregnant women didn't gain any weight it was all baby.

Bingo.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
erik2690":fltypa0z said:
vin.couve12":fltypa0z said:
Forgot about this from your ESPN article. I'll bold it.

In fact, he's never finished higher than 32nd in release time since entering the league.

That I kind of expect, previous to 2015 anyway. He used to run around like a chicken with his head cut off for long periods.

Can you clarify what exactly you are arguing? NFL.com next Gen stats has his "time to throw" at 2.61 seconds for all of 2016. For comparison Brady is at 2.57, Matt Ryan 2.64. It seems like you were trying to say that the 2016 time posted by another user must be way off, but every source I've seen says his time to throw was much speedier in 2016. Which makes sense. Less scrambling would bring down the time to throw which is part of the reason I've always felt that stat was unfair to Wilson. Like lets say he has a game with 25 attempts and has a release time of 3 seconds flat on all of them except 3 passes. On those 3 passes he scrambles around for 6 seconds and makes an awesome play out of it. In context of the game those 3 scrambles could all be big positives and yet it would bring his time to throw up to 3.36. Just from those 3 attempts that most QB's couldn't have, his time to throw goes up by more than 1/3 of a second for the game. So his time to throw when healthy will always look a bit inflated as compared to a Brady or pure pocket guy. Anyway back to my original point, his time to throw last year was quite low as compared to past years.

I can't blindly take those numbers at face value. Who throws more bubble screens than us? Are throw aways counted? Are sacks after 5-6 seconds out because he didn't release it because he just stood there and wouldn't pull the trigger? I'm assuming those are thrown out in particular.

Don't get me wrong, I think RW was gunshy last year because we had maybe 5-10% of pass plays where quick pressure was given up and even when he had 5 seconds he looked like a nervous squirrel.

Those plays aren't counted towards the stat though. They can't be because he never released it. I can't tell you how many times he's just standing there like a skiddish alley cat and not throwing it.

The stat (which is highly subjective) CANNOT accurately portray what I'm talking about. And I've already noted what I would expect from him scrambling in his first couple years.

The other part is picking at a poster that worships a man like a deity....or a boy band or something.

Anthony!

Reaction score
chris98251":35y25htg said:
Sgt. Largent":35y25htg said:
Seymour":35y25htg said:
Sgt. Largent":35y25htg said:
Some of you guys should organize a Fat Watch group to hide outside Russell's house like nefarious KGB agents.

You can follow him around with calorie counters so you can precisely crunch his caloric intake each day to make sure he's still inside your fat face acceptability range.

And "some of you guys" should observe his level of play difference at the end of 2017 and get back to us on this topic with a more educated discussion on if this makes any difference or not. :snack:

So it wasn't the fact that Russell's ankle got destroyed in the first game, and then suffered two more significant injuries that slowed him down all year?

And before that? Russell even said during camp that he wanted to put on 10 lbs of muscle to help absorb the punishment his body took in 2015.

These are facts. What you fat truthers are discussing is pure unadulterated speculation. You have ZERO facts to back up your fat claims, because Russell was hurt literally the entire year. No way in hell you can derive at your conclusion. It's a laughable discussion.

If there's one person on this team that we don't have to be worried about being focused and prepared, it's Russell.........because his entire body of football evidence shows that he's 100% of the time the most prepared and dedicated person on his team. Every.Single.Year.

Try this for fact, tear your knee up get a high ankle sprain and tear a upper body muscle, now run your ass 5 miles a day and stay in shape. If you can do that I will drop my contention he put on weight in addition to that he wanted to add.

That's like saying pregnant women didn't gain any weight it was all baby.

Add in getting up every 3-4 hours to get treatment so he could play, oh and never missing a practice as well

Anthony!

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2ptrul2o said:
erik2690":2ptrul2o said:
vin.couve12":2ptrul2o said:

In fact, he's never finished higher than 32nd in release time since entering the league.

That I kind of expect, previous to 2015 anyway. He used to run around like a chicken with his head cut off for long periods.

Can you clarify what exactly you are arguing? NFL.com next Gen stats has his "time to throw" at 2.61 seconds for all of 2016. For comparison Brady is at 2.57, Matt Ryan 2.64. It seems like you were trying to say that the 2016 time posted by another user must be way off, but every source I've seen says his time to throw was much speedier in 2016. Which makes sense. Less scrambling would bring down the time to throw which is part of the reason I've always felt that stat was unfair to Wilson. Like lets say he has a game with 25 attempts and has a release time of 3 seconds flat on all of them except 3 passes. On those 3 passes he scrambles around for 6 seconds and makes an awesome play out of it. In context of the game those 3 scrambles could all be big positives and yet it would bring his time to throw up to 3.36. Just from those 3 attempts that most QB's couldn't have, his time to throw goes up by more than 1/3 of a second for the game. So his time to throw when healthy will always look a bit inflated as compared to a Brady or pure pocket guy. Anyway back to my original point, his time to throw last year was quite low as compared to past years.

I can't blindly take those numbers at face value. Who throws more bubble screens than us? Are throw aways counted? Are sacks after 5-6 seconds out because he didn't release it because he just stood there and wouldn't pull the trigger? I'm assuming those are thrown out in particular.

Don't get me wrong, I think RW was gunshy last year because we had maybe 5-10% of pass plays where quick pressure was given up and even when he had 5 seconds he looked like a nervous squirrel.

Those plays aren't counted towards the stat though. They can't be because he never released it. I can't tell you how many times he's just standing there like a skiddish alley cat and not throwing it.

The stat (which is highly subjective) CANNOT accurately portray what I'm talking about. And I've already noted what I would expect from him scrambling in his first couple years.

The other part is picking at a poster that worships a man like a deity....or a boy band or something.

all those extra things you are bringing up can apply to every QB. When it comes right down to it you cant take them despite being the same from multiple experts and sites because it doe snot keep with your agenda that is all. You doing what all people who cant man up and say they are wrong, ignore the facts, only now eveyr one knows the truth

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Anthony!":18890wss said:
vin.couve12":18890wss said:
erik2690":18890wss said:
vin.couve12":18890wss said:

all those extra things you are bringing up can apply to every QB. When it comes right down to it you cant take them despite being the same from multiple experts and sites because it doe snot keep with your agenda that is all. You doing what all people who cant man up and say they are wrong, ignore the facts, only now eveyr one knows the truth

I'm an engineer, kid. We're not talking about sciences. We're talking about stats that are different depending on the source and what is counted and what is not.

These

are

not

facts.

By the very frickin definition of the word. Not that I expect zealots to understand that.

erik2690

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1hxazcr1 said:
erik2690":1hxazcr1 said:
vin.couve12":1hxazcr1 said:

I agree to an extent, the stat as with almost all isn't perfect, but his time to throw went down. It just did. You can add caveats on the back to explain why you don't think it's reflective. But I guess the bigger problem is to an extent you are saying you're analysis is what I should be trusting not the stat. I think the truth is likely somewhere in the middle. He wasn't as you describe and he also wasn't making doing everything as smoothly as the time to throw might suggest. My problem becomes if you are going to single out something like time to throw and then dismiss the actual stat b/c you've decided you know what's true and the stat isn't reflecting that then having any pushback is kinda impossible. The stat says he got rid of it quicker but that's just b/c the stat doesn't factor in everything so at that point your opinion becomes a bit insulated from pushback. Again I agree that the stat is flawed, as I mentioned in my first response. But this all began with you saying "is because he doesn't get the ball out in 3 seconds consistently" and the stats don't say that and so we are kinda being asked to just accept that as fact b/c the stat does leave something to be desired. You could be wrong and the stat could not be perfectly reflective. It's hard to imagine though not having it out in 3 seconds "consistently" and then getting 2.61 as a time.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I covered the 3 second part already. I was wrong and Chris Collinsworth was right that it's 2.5. Times change from back in the day and for that I am ashamed.

Anthony!

Reaction score
vin.couve12":26aqggsy said:
Anthony!":26aqggsy said:
vin.couve12":26aqggsy said:
erik2690":26aqggsy said:

I'm an engineer, kid. We're not talking about sciences. We're talking about stats that are different depending on the source and what is counted and what is not.

These

are

not

facts.

By the very frickin definition of the word. Not that I expect zealots to understand that.

First condescending much, great your an engineer, I am proud of you. All that said every site that keeps track of this has him well under 3 for last year, so once again given you are not an expert in this field and are not a site that actually keeps track of it, I will go with the sites facts over your opinion. As will most here. And again congrats on being an engineer, to ba dthat does not make you an expert on how quick a QB is getting rid of the ball.

Anthony!

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1y7qa0lk said:
Anthony!":1y7qa0lk said:
Seymour":1y7qa0lk said:
vin.couve12":1y7qa0lk said:
The old addage is under 3 and used to be a training technique with a basketball game clock. Most decent QBs are under 3 now according to your "stats." The line is 2.5 seconds now, it appears and the principle still stands. And your facts aren't facts with discrepancies. That's literally not possible.

He's your idol/ hero, I get it.

Yes as I said though the facts are staring you in the face from PFF, ESPN you still refuse to admit the truth that he is under 3 because it does not fit your agenda, your a hater so why would you. That said in the end the facts are the facts and the last 2 years he has been under 3 enough said.

Are you not understanding that the bar is no longer 3?

What makes it really bad is that that Chris Collinsworth was right about something. During the Tampa game last year he said a QB only has 2.5 seconds and your subjective, discrepancy infected stats actually support that. I yelled back at the screen that it was 3 so that damn Collinsworth actually got me on something.

Hmm do you have a link were Collingworth said 2,.5 is now the expectation? Do you have a link where anyone said it? DO you have a link where it shows all the other QBs. I will wait.

While I do lets play a game what do all these QB have in common

Brady
Wilson
Manning
Stafford
Big Ben
Ryan
Rodgers
Luck

I will help you they all get rid of the in under 3 seconds but over 2.5... SO if your contention is even at 2.6 WIlsoni is bad I guess Brady is Too. Hmm Oh wait the supposedly best QB in the League Arron Rodgers not only was over 2.5 but slower than Wilsons. The number is under 3 Wilson is under 3 thats all.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
original poster":bligvqt8 said:
SkyHawks16":bligvqt8 said:
This is Russell yesterday, looks like he has lost weight.

2643vxz

Welcome to .NET!

Yup. Good 10 pounds down or so.

Likely lose another 5 by Training Camp. He knows he chunked up too much last year.

Fast Russ is gonna be back!!!!

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Seymour":3p2mom99 said:
Anthony!":3p2mom99 said:
Seymour":3p2mom99 said:
Sgt. Largent":3p2mom99 said:
Some of you guys should organize a Fat Watch group to hide outside Russell's house like nefarious KGB agents.

You can follow him around with calorie counters so you can precisely crunch his caloric intake each day to make sure he's still inside your fat face acceptability range.

And "some of you guys" should observe his level of play difference at the end of 2017 and get back to us on this topic with a more educated discussion on if this makes any difference or not. :snack:

except he was still injured so we don't really know, though I agree the adding of muscle may not have helped, and obviously it appears he is going the other way this coming year. I only hope the oline is better and our RBs can stay healthy as well.

I believe the weight and additional mass effected his throwing motion enough that his accuracy suffered at times. That is on top of the mobility / pressure / sack issue (that the injuries would be more related to). So I believe we will see less of those errant overthrows / misses that popped up last season. Oddly, many of those seemed to be to Kearse, who was way over targeted in the red zone IMO.

You are wise.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Anthony!":evco3i89 said:
Hmm do you have a link were Collingworth said 2,.5 is now the expectation? Do you have a link where anyone said it? DO you have a link where it shows all the other QBs. I will wait.

Brady
Wilson
Manning
Stafford
Big Ben
Ryan
Rodgers
Luck

I will help you they all get rid of the in under 3 seconds but over 2.5... SO if your contention is even at 2.6 WIlsoni is bad I guess Brady is Too. Hmm Oh wait the supposedly best QB in the League Arron Rodgers not only was over 2.5 but slower than Wilsons. The number is under 3 Wilson is under 3 thats all.

Why are you always humming on things? It's frickin weird.

Wilson camped a lot last year, plain and simple. Snap to release is a stat that is based on actually releasing the ball. And it's still unclear on whether or not throw aways are counted. I can't tell you how many games where the very fans here were up in arms about why we were throwing so many bubble screens. Also quick slants, which Wilson has never even really been accurate at. The obvious reason IS the injuries. I really don't want to be nice to your cult of Wilson arse, but that part is really true. Having played RB for a long time, I know what it's like to compensate and gaurd yourself for the next play because your backup is shart.....or because you don't want to give way. That much I can really appreciate.

But either way, in terms of the statistical body of work, Wilson has been taught to throw it away, eat it, or scramble, since he got here because he didn't USED to be the focal point of the offense. This inherently skews his statistics, both in snap to release and in completion percentage and probably some others, now that I think about it, like QBR.

Wilson's struggle last year is two fold, however. He's trying to protect himself and also trying to develope more of a pocket passers mentality, which is also a limitation I might add. He was in uncharted territory. Speaking of which, he also was calling line calls, which he had no experience with and screwed up a lot, being directly responsible for some of the sacks he took.

He often folded as a passer, taking the sack/pressure/throw away and/or making more bad decisions than he ever had. I suppose he had a pretty good year by mid 80s standards, but that's about it. If you want me to believe that he was sharp, crisp, and concise in any way last year, you need a straight jacket. That stat is abnormally skewed for Wilson even if just by playcallling and throw aways, for reasons already noted.

I do expect that there's a lot that he can build on next year, however. Still, kid, you have a disease about this guy. You post the same article a week apart because you didn't think it got enough worship. Give it a rest.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2siqlyka said:
As opposed to getting on Russ about every damn thing? Maybe it's time to give that a rest as well :mrgreen:
I was about to say that if you have an OL like Rodgers did last year then 3 seconds isn't even a bar, but screw you too. :lol:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Rodgers is unreal. Don't like the guy, but his scrambling ability and throws are not even human.
One of the few QB's who would have success behind this pathetic o line.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
What didn't kill Russ will only make him stronger and wiser. It was oftentimes brutal, but I think a year like the last will make him a more complete quarterback. He showed great fortitude to resist his first impulse of scrambling when things broke down and either/both stepped up into what was left of the pocket or threw the ball away.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":nfxc77tj said:
Rodgers is unreal. Don't like the guy, but his scrambling ability and throws are not even human.
One of the few QB's who would have success behind this pathetic o line.
I don't know about that. I think the affect of injuries really messes with a QB. Rodgers has played like crap and made questionable decisions with leg injuries as well. The complaint was the OL, ironically. Our OL was bad though. Not saying that...even though I think it had to do with experience more than ability. Inexperience is usually staggered along an OL instead of across the board. Any QB that gets beat up is easier defeated. That's just a given.

Anthony!

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1btanc7u said:
Anthony!":1btanc7u said:

Brady
Wilson
Manning
Stafford
Big Ben
Ryan
Rodgers
Luck

Why are you always humming on things? It's frickin weird.

Wilson camped a lot last year, plain and simple. Snap to release is a stat that is based on actually releasing the ball. And it's still unclear on whether or not throw aways are counted. I can't tell you how many games where the very fans here were up in arms about why we were throwing so many bubble screens. Also quick slants, which Wilson has never even really been accurate at. The obvious reason IS the injuries. I really don't want to be nice to your cult of Wilson arse, but that part is really true. Having played RB for a long time, I know what it's like to compensate and gaurd yourself for the next play because your backup is shart.....or because you don't want to give way. That much I can really appreciate.

But either way, in terms of the statistical body of work, Wilson has been taught to throw it away, eat it, or scramble, since he got here because he didn't USED to be the focal point of the offense. This inherently skews his statistics, both in snap to release and in completion percentage and probably some others, now that I think about it, like QBR.

Wilson's struggle last year is two fold, however. He's trying to protect himself and also trying to develope more of a pocket passers mentality, which is also a limitation I might add. He was in uncharted territory. Speaking of which, he also was calling line calls, which he had no experience with and screwed up a lot, being directly responsible for some of the sacks he took.

He often folded as a passer, taking the sack/pressure/throw away and/or making more bad decisions than he ever had. I suppose he had a pretty good year by mid 80s standards, but that's about it. If you want me to believe that he was sharp, crisp, and concise in any way last year, you need a straight jacket. That stat is abnormally skewed for Wilson even if just by playcallling and throw aways, for reasons already noted.

I do expect that there's a lot that he can build on next year, however. Still, kid, you have a disease about this guy. You post the same article a week apart because you didn't think it got enough worship. Give it a rest.

Because you keep making statements and acting like they are facts when the reality is the Facts show the opposite. Facts show he was throwing under 3 seconds which is the goal of any QB and in fact was throwing quicker than a lot of the top QBs in the league. Once agian the biggest issue with Wilson last year that anyone will any sense would tell you is he was injured all year. I am sorry the facts dont support your claims but they still are the facts.

Latest posts